Dicky Box - "The Release" & Meanderings

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

What are your feelings about the Dicky Box? On a Scale of 1-10, 1 being "Hated It. You kidding me?" and 10 being "Loved It. The Dickie Box was Amazing!".

1 - Hated It.
12%
5%
7%
3%
18%
4%
8%
8%
10%
10 - Loved It.
25%

Total votes : 73

Postby dicky » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:59 pm

ZaphodBurner wrote:I appreciate the art.

The thing about the Dicky Box is, there always seemed to be a crowd around it when I passed, wheras a lot of art--regardless of whether I liked it--seemed to draw much less attention. Most of the critics...I'm still wondering what THEY contributed to the event.

One of our campers was Jack from Fuck in the Box and tried to attack you through the window. Afterward, in camp, he said "Wow, I think I pissed that guy off."

He still insists you killed Mama Salvatore and stole his recipe for ciabatta bread. Dude, seriously...that's just rude.

-c
http://www.zaphodburns2005.org

nah he didn't piss me off, i liked his thing, it was pretty great. he just seemed to be more into yelling and getting filmed than actually interacting...

d
bring light
dicky

Postby robotland » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:00 am

blyslv wrote:I do think funded art on the playa is a mistake. If it's too big to do on your own, scale it back, but do it on your own! I spoke with a guy who got a borg2 grant. He said it sured changed his apporach once he started spending other people's money.

I don't know....part of me craves SPECTACLE, which is rarer among the unfunded. Sure, with a little more organization and some Little-Rascals-Let's-Put-On-A-Show-In-The-Barn gumption you can pull off a plenty big hoohah- But most people lack the necessary motivation and/or have other factors to contend with. (After three years, I've decided it's SHELTER or ART...both won't fit in the car comfortably for 2000 miles. No more one-person-living-in-three-domes bullshit.)
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby geekster » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:48 am

I liked 2005 better than 2004. I think BORG2 got more people focused on the art at all levels, from large funded projects all the way down to small individual projects. Some of the stuff was extremely inexpensive and easy to produce and transport (Playatech furniture) and some was extremely complex and expensive (the machine) but I think it covered the entire spectrum.

Oh, by the way, if you have playatech furniture, bring it to SF Decom if you can. Mark it with your name so it can get back to you. There are going to be "fire lounges" on the street after dark for people to gather and connect. I have a feeling this is burn barrels with playatech furniture placed nearby but I'm not positive. I just know the call has gone out for playatech furniture for "fire lounges" after dark at decompression.

Just getting people focused on building and bringing their art turned out to be a big boost this year.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby jbelson » Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:42 pm

dicky wrote:
jbelson wrote:In my opinion, Dicky wasn't the art, but rather the canvas. the people that gathered and did whatever are the art. It was the scene itself. He's just a man in a box with a ittle whole. What he does has serious limits. What thoes who have come to watch him do is limitless. In a sence, he's turning spectators into art.

How that for some bullshit?

that was it exactly. it wasn't me, it was the community and the box with all of it's whiteness and my purposful interaction were to offer a blank canvas.

thanks for getting it!

D

Hey check me out. I GET IT!!!!

Do I get a prize Dicky?
"I gotta have more cowbell"
Bruce dickenson, legendary rock producer
jbelson

Postby ubu » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:37 am

I have a prize for you. Go check out some of these films and or filmakers.
Harry Smith is very BM.

Seems I misrepresented Jordan Belson slightly. He stopped frame painting pretty early and moved on to other things. here is a good survey of his work.

http://www.iotacenter.org/program/publication/moritz/moritz24

By they way, if it was not clear in my ridiculous rambling earlier, I thought dicky's piece was excellent. to hell with activity!
ubu

Previous

Return to 2005 Art & Performance