Favorite Art Car?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Favorite Art Car?

Postby Organgeboy » Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:38 am

This was my first Burn, and a key experience was riding around on my favorite art car. The first night I found it I was blown away by the energy coming off it, the music (I'm usually listen to classical, but I was grooving to the pumped up stuff they had). It was the Surly Bird, a truck converted for two levels, sails on the top. I looked for it each night I was there, and I never failed to find it. A few nights I rode it all night long.

Anybody else have this kind of experience?

So fun.
Organgeboy

Postby shitmouse » Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:36 pm

my fav' art car this year was the lotus frog car!

that thing was most fitting for playa cruising!
when i heard the "ribbitt, ribbitt, --- ribbitt-ribbitt,ribbitt --- " i laughed my ass off!
it was so appropirate for all of us cruising across the playa. and it laid down the perfect cadence!! kudos to those guys!!
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=
shitmouse

Postby Angry Butterfly » Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:38 pm

I loved DAVE train and the Magic Carpet. I didnt get to stay on DAVE train very long because the person I was with was having a very introspective trip and it was just the wrong scene for that, but it was oh so comfy, and it fit my mood perfectly. Plus my dog's name is DAVE THE PUG so I just had to get on it. I only saw it once, making me wonder if it was all my imagination. My ride on the Magic carpet was a cuddly cozy quiet stargazing time that I wont soon forget either.
Oh and the cow bus restored my faith in humanity at one point! Thank you cow bus driver!
I took the road less traveled, and now I would like to go back and find the paved one.
Angry Butterfly

Postby madmatt » Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:20 am

This one was playalicious!!
madmatt

Postby Taggert » Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:52 am

I have a tie between favorites, the Carthedral always brings a huge smile and this year had a trailer which I thought was a great addition, and the Fish Spanker, carved from wood with umbrellas on top.
Taggert

Postby mezz » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:12 am

The Surly Bird Rocked! Yes, we went cruising all night long on Wed, then off to see the best sunrise I have ever witnessed.
Great Art Car, awesome music, the Surly guys did an amazing job bringing the Bird out to BRC this year.
mezz

Postby supersurly » Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:15 pm

fucking art cars...

My all time favorite art car was Rogue, just loved hearing that ratatatataatatatata blasting across the playa.

The school desk train always brings a smile, especially when the kids drive it around.

Last year we were sitting in the back of draka just having a nice time when this wee little kid with a serious look comes up to the door and looks around, stares at me and says: YOU, COME WITH ME! I looked suprised and asked if my friends should come with him, and sure enough he leads us up to the saddle, saying we looked like we would appreciate it the most. Turns out his dad was driving that night... I love draka.

I love watching the big white/red solar powered wagon trundle on by... quiet as a light breeze

The bunny slippers are cool.

UNIMOG
supersurly

UNIMOG

Postby ping » Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:26 pm

The Unimog is the twinkle in the eye of a storm...
ping

Postby Kinetic » Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:39 pm

I liked the mobile DJ car with the solar panels.

Draka, just because.

I didn't see Rogue up close but that ratatatataata effect is one of my distinct BM sound effects that I can never forget. I hope he can rebuild it.

Playa Air stands out because I like the look of the plane, but Jane Eric and the fine people that run it are some of the nicest people anywhere.

There were a lot of good art cars that I liked but these are the ones that stand out to me.
Kinetic

Postby Jeremiah » Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:31 am

I would have to say the La'Contessa, the bar sucked but the music was good and the crows nest afforded a wonderful view of the burn.
Jeremiah

Postby precipitate » Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:12 pm

> La'Contessa, the bar sucked

I dunno, I got a glass of <i>really</i> good wine and some surreal
conversation there.
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Postby shitmouse » Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:56 pm

anyone know how the rogue car made it's machine gun noise???
was it a sample or actual blanks?? i never saw it, but heard it many times.
great car as far as caco goes.
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=
shitmouse

Postby playasnake » Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:17 pm

igniting bursts of MAP gas. they used electric soleniods... thats why it could 'fire' so fast.

i barely know about which i speak here... this is just what i gleaned after talking with him at the burn in 2002
e pluribus unimog
playasnake

Riding art cars

Postby Martina » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:09 pm

I saw a lot of beautiful art cars, but I was afraid to ask to ride along, because I didn't know the people running the cars, and I was afraid they wouldn't deem me cool enough. In retrospect that was probably pretty silly, given the spirit of burning man. I was in costume and am a nice person, so I probably would have been 'accepted' should I have attempted to gain access; if that sort of thing was an issue.
Thanks for any and all feedback.
"Both (Sylvester) Graham and (John Harvey) Kellogg had great faith in the power of correct food and proper eating habits to keep one morally upright. Masturbation was much less likely, they believed, if one learned proper nutrition at an early age."
Martina

Postby shitmouse » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:22 pm

" I was in costume and am a nice person, so I probably would have been 'accepted' should I have attempted to gain access;"

don't be too sure about that. i mean there's a ton a nice folks out there, but it's no church party. the larger cars/busses are best for hop-a-longs.
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=
shitmouse

Postby Tiara » Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:45 pm

" I was in costume and am a nice person, so I probably would have been 'accepted' should I have attempted to gain access;"

I don't think my perspective on this is unique:

We had an art car this year (the furry saab with wings), and were happy to give rides to as many people as possible. We loved interacting with people who were interested in our project. And we met a lot of great new people and had a lot of great discussions with our passengers throughout the week.

Some suggestions about keeping art car drivers happy:
1) Don't just jump in/on. Do the operators the courtesy of asking nicely for a ride. If there is space, they will most likely say yes. (this probably doesn't apply as much to the larger buses.)

2) Be willing to go where the car is headed. Art cars aren't a private taxi fleet there to do your specific bidding. And they are not required to bring you back and drop you off at the same place you got on.

3) Be respectful of the vehicle. Most of them took an enormous amount of time to create, in addition to a fair monetary investment in supplies. If something looks fragile, ASK before sitting or standing on it. If your feet are coated in mud, hang them over the side. And don't even think about leaving your trash/moop behind when you get out of the vehicle.
Tiara

riding art cars

Postby Martina » Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:07 pm

What helpful advice! Thank you very much.
"Both (Sylvester) Graham and (John Harvey) Kellogg had great faith in the power of correct food and proper eating habits to keep one morally upright. Masturbation was much less likely, they believed, if one learned proper nutrition at an early age."
Martina

Postby Badger » Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:37 pm

The bunny slippers are cool.

I could be in the middle of my mother's funeral and those things would make me laugh.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Lydia Love » Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:40 pm

Speakin of which - Badger the new avatar is KILLIN me and so is the apparently endless supply of horrifying affirmations!
It's all about the squirrels.
Lydia Love

Postby Badger » Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:46 pm

I do it for you Lydia.

<almost inserted a smiley>
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Return to Experiences at Burning Man