toilet paper shortage in 2004

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Postby can't sit still » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:14 pm

I've got no lyrics, so I'll try to be informative. If you want to be sure to get the right TP, you can go to an RV supply store. They sell the stuff that disolves fast. It's made especially for the recirculating toilets. Just don't moisten your glasses and try to clean them with it.

One possible suggestion to remedy the paper shortage and the sabotage. The supplier of the porta-johns would have to change over to the 16 inch rolls of TP. Lock em up,,,why not?? You only have to refill them once a day max. There would be an initial investment but, after that , the paper cost and service reduction should pay off. They're designed so that you can take off paper, but it would be difficult to reel off the whole roll into the john.

I should get off my butt and invent a small macerator to go on the end of the suction hose. It's not really a tech challenge. They already have them for the "Thermo-San" system that macerates the poop in the RV holding tank and injects it into the RV exhaust system while you drive.

Someone posted about the problem of the queue. Maybe if the crappers were spaced out a little more, the clientele would get the idea and form seperate queues. Maybe post it. ONE QUEUE PER CRAPPER

As far as personal paper, I tried carrying those little tiny packs of kleenex. They're convient and not bulky,,,just remember to conserve the wrapper. I found in India, everyone rolls up TP like a bandage and stashes it in a pocket. Far less bulky.

Some interprising person could design a crapper that had a piezo-electric that powered a light and/or buzzer when it was oppened for exit. That would alert the queue that a throne was available.
Dan B
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.
can't sit still

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:52 pm

can't sit still wrote:1: One possible suggestion to remedy the paper shortage and the sabotage. The supplier of the porta-johns would have to change over to the 16 inch rolls of TP. Lock em up,,,why not??

2: I should get off my butt and invent a small macerator to go on the end of the suction hose.

3: Maybe if the crappers were spaced out a little more,

4: Some interprising person could design a crapper that had a piezo-electric that powered a light and/or buzzer when it was oppened for exit. That would alert the queue that a throne was available.
Dan B

1) Logistically difficult from the vendor's perspective. The 16" rolls aren't ordered by the 18 wheel truckload like the standard size.
Adding even a minute to deal with the lock may be also logistically difficult, given they are pressed for time already.

2) Feel free to put together a proposal and give it to a JotS guy. They'd tell you if it's feasible or not quickly.

3) Also nearly impossible logistically, since they need to blow thru the line in about 15 minutes, and the hose is only so long. They'd need to drive the truck forward to catch all the bank. Again, adding time to the time-starved.

4: Feel free to design one and put it up at the potty-bank near where you live. I'm sure the participants visiting it would appreciate.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby Driveway » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:39 am

Perhaps simply NOT provide toilet paper? I mean, we bring our own food already, most of us probably can remember to bring our own tp.

This would probably cut down on the malicious tp-orrism that reportedly occurred in '04. I doubt that those individuals who take pleasure from such activities would have the wherwithal to provide THEIR own tp.

Also, as to the problem of the queue...there is a wonderful invention out there. It's called "The Men's Room" I saw it at this years Folk Fest here in Victoria. This is a multi-day event, sees many thousands of visitors, bands, food, beer garden, lots of peeing.

"The Men's Room" is an octagonal space with five urinals on the back five sides of the polygon, one side is open, and two hold "Antibacterial Cleansing Gel" dispensers. It occupies probably fifteen to maybe twenty square feet of space.

The thing is a work of freakin' art. Gets the men out of the porta-jon lines, which literally halves them. Less wait for everyone...less opportunity for knuckleheads to do stupid things in the porta jons.

It's certainly too late now, if they ain't out there already, but maybe for next year.

And if I hear any crap about "It's so unfair...men get to pee standing up..." I swear to Goat I'm gonna snap. Ladies, your genitals are more attracive, and are capapble of both multiple orgasms and giving birth. Learn to recognize the long end of the stick.
What is Driveway's Game?
Driveway

Postby AntiM » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:28 am

Last year the potty banks did have urinal rooms, but most guys mistook them for handicapped stalls. It wasn't until Wednesday or Thursday that someone propped open the doors and started the flow.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:23 pm

Driveway wrote:Perhaps simply NOT provide toilet paper?

And if I hear any crap about "It's so unfair...men get to pee standing up..." I swear to Goat I'm gonna snap. Ladies, your genitals are more attracive, and are capapble of both multiple orgasms and giving birth. Learn to recognize the long end of the stick.

The Health Dept isn't into this idea.

Female genitals and male genitals are both attractive, or ugly, depends upon who you ask.

Men are capable of multiple orgasms too, and women can pee standing up.
robbidobbs

toilet paper shortage in 2004

Postby can't sit still » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:38 pm

Men are capable of multiple orgasms too, and women can pee standing up.

I have a friend who lost a bet on that one,,,who could leave the highest mark on a wall while standing in front of it peeing. Boy did he have egg on his face for that one. Is there no bastion of male physical superiority left??
Lyn Hill closed everybodys mouth in Yosemite. The Badwater race is "owned" by a woman. If you leave out the brute sports like womens Russian weightlifters, The dominance of men is slowly slithering away. Gadzooks, we're being left behind!!! :(
Dan.
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.
can't sit still

Postby bellaessa » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:29 am

Thank you all for informing us virgins!

Alas! One Ply it is! To do your biz!
bellaessa

Postby Grizelda » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:55 pm

I must say, the portapotties were SO much better in 2005. I only came across one without any toilet paper, and there were never long lines. Yay! There must be some people responsible for this who deserve a big pat on the back.
Grizelda

Postby mars » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:19 pm

Yes! Yay for the Porta-Potties this year!!! They were awesome. The only problems I encountered were because of selfish jerks who mooped the area and used the toilets for garbage cans. But as for the amount of porta-potties, toilet paper and cleaning times, I'd say it all was done JUST RIGHT!
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.
mars

Postby AntiM » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:02 am

Our potty bank (4:30 & Gesalt) had tp which fell off the holders, I got pretty good at reinstalling it if it was still dry and clean. I did blue arm a tampon wrapper out the second day; came out and ranted loudly. I can be quite the raving lunatic. The woman waiting for her guyfriend had just been in that potty, she looked embarrassed and nervous. Later through the week I kept finding tampons wrapped up on the floor. Not ideal but better than in the tank.

Monday I fished out a personal urinal, the kind with the absorbent crystals. Euw.

I'm still washing my hands like mad.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby mars » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:15 am

I"m curious what people think of this....

In a discussion with a Ranger, I mentioned that there were some large items in a nearby Porta-Potty and they were too covered with crap to pull out. He suggested that I lock the door from the outside, which is very easy to do, so no-one else uses that toilet. For the rest of the week, if I saw something bad in the toilet, I locked it from the outside. After the toilet cleaners came by, I noticed that they had unlocked the doors and gone in, so it didn't stop them. Seems like a good way to prevent a bad situation from getting worse. What do you all think?

Neon (aka Mars)
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.
mars

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:45 am

Love it mars. cause I'm not reaching in to those things...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby mars » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:11 am

...cause I'm not reaching in to those things...

Even though you're the Official Underwater Mascot of the Apocalypse? C'mon, I think you need a little practice before the Apocalypse hits and you're fin-deep in shit.
mars

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:43 pm

mars wrote:In a discussion with a Ranger, I mentioned that there were some large items in a nearby Porta-Potty and they were too covered with crap to pull out.

If it is larger than 3" then don't worry about it. It won't clog the hose, but be pulled out at the end of the tube like a vacuum cleaner (which it is).

Locking the doors is not recommended, unless the seat is covered in shit.
Then I'd lock the doors to prevent possible bad experiences in the dark.

Do NOT pull stuff out of the potties, ever, is my recommendation.
Concentrate your efforts in educating others about the evils of baby-wipes. Give options like burning them or disposing of them as any trash.

See "All about Participating in the Pottie Project" for more information.

Thanks
robbidobbs

Postby Lassen Forge » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:45 pm

intresting asides from my visits to the "blue rooms"...

I never once got wet butt cheeks from a porta potty this year. Not once. Must be a record.

I only was caught without paper *once*, and then (thanks to the wonderful advice of the heroic Robbidobbs and the chipmunks >giggles<) I had my own 1 ply. Other than that once, it was not needed.

The trash in the potties was deplorable, tho - not one was free of detrius or stuff on the floor, next to the "purse trays" (I think the guys call them urinals >>giggles<<), and next to the seats.

I didn't make a study of foreign objects in the "blue lake district", but didn't notice too much in the way of no-no stuff on my occasional visits. There were partial rolls of paper, and of course the >ahem< "feminine hygine products".

bb
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby AntiM » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:13 pm

Do NOT pull stuff out of the potties, ever, is my recommendation.

I've only pulled things out if they are on the top and only if I can get a good layer of TP between my fingers and the offending object. Even then I make sure I rinse and sanitize my pinkies right away.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Martiansky » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:23 am

I brought a twelve pack of 1 ply with and on sunday afternoon went over to the bank at 430 & ego and gave some away and also put a roll in each one that had runout, which only seemed to happen on sunday, all the other days they were clean and restocked. Had several people ask me if it was one-ply, so I showed them the "RV and Septic safe" logo on the pack.
Martiansky

Burning Since: 2005

Postby skibear » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:26 pm

I had a 24 pk of 1 ply rolls and on 3 nites placed 8 (every 3rd one)
in the bank at 8:00 and ego.

If I had more i'd continue since I noticed at 2am all these potties were
out of tp.
crash & burn ski lessons given
skibear

Postby robbidobbs » Thu May 04, 2006 9:32 am

Bump

I've been seeing a lot more people coming to the porta-johns with a roll of double quilted, extra fluffy toilet paper that they brought from home.

Now this may seem like a good alternative to the perceived scraping the hemoroids off industrial one-ply, but this kind of tp will goop up the potty cleaning equipment. So go ahead, be selfish. I just want to point out the guys who get to clean out this goop are not pleased with your performance.

So I'm asking everyone, you especially, to strike up a conversation with someone who's waiting for the potty-door to open with Charmin underarm, to please contribute to the pleasant experience of the JotS workers and refrain from using double-ply.

Gracias
robbidobbs

Postby hunter S » Thu May 04, 2006 10:04 am

Robbidobbs, Thank you for all you do!

in 05 the jot bank in our area ran short on tp so for a few hours folk came with their own supply (radical self reliance and all) our camp brought single ply easy digestible TP, we tried to supply the empty jots but our supply ran short as well. Would it be possible to put a supply box at each bank? If it is I would start looking for or building some kind of a lockers, tell be how many you would need? Throughs plastic tubs with lids anchored to the ground with a re bar nail might work?
Objects behind you may appeare larger than reality!
hunter S

Postby robbidobbs » Thu May 04, 2006 10:22 pm

The number of pottie-banks within the city is 12. If you want to set up *hinged* (not snap-top) plastic tubs of tp donations then you can chain them to the hand-santizer posts.
Or you can start small and just adopt the pottie-cluster near where you live, keeping a tub supplied.

In reality, the fundamental problem last year was not over-use of tp, but deliberate sabatoge. There were entire banks stripped of tp, and the whole rolls were dumped into the camodes. This is the problem we all need to be mindful of. I'm concerned about supplying the vandals as well as supplying the populace with this essential resource. Like gasoline on a fire.

I believe that the population needs to keep a supply of rolls at their camp, that they can bring to the potty should tp be needed, and have enough to be generous and leave that roll should the unit be out.
robbidobbs

Postby hunter S » Thu May 04, 2006 10:35 pm

I believe that the population needs to keep a supply of rolls at their camp, that they can bring to the potty should tp be needed, and have enough to be generous and leave that roll should the unit be out.

Robbi, I think you have put more thought into the issue than I :oops: Your right! I will bring an ample supply this year. I never would have thought sabotage would be a factor....If we catch them can we just take them to Apokilitika for hanging?
hunter S

Postby robbidobbs » Fri May 05, 2006 9:41 am

Hmmm

Hanging? probably not. But if you do find these jerks, you're legally able to duct-tape their wrists to a hand santizer post, then call a Ranger, for some serious talking-to. It's called a citizens arrest. I talked to a lawyer out there last year. And deliberate potty sabotage is an evictable offense.
robbidobbs

Postby hunter S » Fri May 05, 2006 8:13 pm

Hmmm.....Still like hanging!
If we cant hang um maybe we could stick em in a jot hmmm..that wont work they might clog up a pump! I know "if it don't come out of your body don't put it in the potty" Could we dip em blue then tape them the sanitizer?

Gives a whole new twist on the Blue man group!
Objects behind you may appeare larger than reality!
hunter S

Postby robbidobbs » Sat May 06, 2006 2:36 pm

That's just wrong.

Funny.

But seriously disturbing.
robbidobbs

Previous

Return to Experiences at Burning Man