Salty foods are so important

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Salty foods are so important

Postby dragonflyannie » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:39 pm

I don't think it's emphasized enough how much foods high in sodium are important out there. I took really good care of myself this year out there... or so I thought. I drank water like a fish but didn't have enough sodium in my food and didn't drink electrolytes and ended up in medical for dehydration...
Folks, eat pickles, eat bacon, eat miso soup! Or at least make sure you are replacing your electrolytes with gatorade or electrolyte replacement powder, otherwise you might end up like I did... completely sober, not a bruise on my body, but still in the medical tent.

... yet another valuable bm lesson learned for meeeee...... :!:
dragonflyannie

Burning Since: 2000

Postby TazGrl » Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:06 am

Yep - I learned the salt factor the hard way by becoming very dehydrated (not at BM, just personal everyday experience) and then discovering how verrrrry much better I felt when I caved into my craving for salty foods. Your body tells you what you need if you know what the signs are, but you have to discover those signs individually. Applied to daily life - salty foods (and accompanying water) are the best cure for hangovers, too! :wink: *Now* I know why they serve salty munchies at bars, and why Bloody Marys are great the morning after!
TazGrl

Postby RebA! » Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:07 am

Or do like us and get a barrel full of cheese balls. Sure people will point and laugh.. but really in their heads they want that orangy goodness all over thier fingers too.

We just get it for the salt.. really.. yea.. the salllllt.
"My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpets or ruin our lives."
--Rita Rudner
RebA!

Postby TazGrl » Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:38 pm

Mmmmm...cheeze balls! :D Darn it - now I'm going to have to run to my local Zupan's market for some... :wink: Major munchies!!!

To help combat stress fatigue in a harsh environment, my boyfriend and I took a multivitamin every day as well as drank lots of Gatorade and water (we each drank probably a gallon or so of just the water alone per day without forcing ourselves to). I think one of the things I'm definitely going to do next year is bring lots more bratwursts and salty breakfast meats like bacon and breakfast sausages. Also, bananas are good for the potassium content which is a must for a healthy cellular sodium/potassium exchange...the resulting dehydration from imbalanced electrolytes really messes you up, it's hard to get rid of if you don't do it right, plus makes you downright cranky and icky feeling (pukey is more like it). I'm pretty sure dried banana chips are sufficient and they're in all kinds of trail mixes. Without enough potassium, muscle cramps happen and with all the bike riding I know a lot of us did, I'd hate to be trying to out-manuever a white-out duststorm's leading edge and get a cramp in my leg... :(
TazGrl

Postby Tiara » Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:00 pm

I brought several jars of garlic-stuffed green olives. It doesn't get much saltier than that! They can be kept out of the cooler until the jar seal is broken. But they taste ever so much better when they're chilled.

I'm told they have many uses: The eplayan formerly known as Badger made a martini of sorts by plunking 4 green olives into a cup with the contents of one cold PBR.
Tiara

Postby consumer » Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:23 pm

Living in Arizona, I see going to BRC every summer as a chance to escape the heat! Soy Peanuts (salty & honey covered) are a good way to get your sodium fix, and they have that extra good stuff you need.
consumer

Our salt fix

Postby Tater Chip Girl » Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:27 am

For us, it was pretty simple - lots and lots of ramen. That's not all we ate, but we did have some every day, and made sure to drink all the broth. This is especially good to do right before embarking on a night of alcohol consumption.
Tater Chip Girl

Postby dragonflyannie » Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:51 pm

great tips you guys, thanks!
dragonflyannie

Burning Since: 2000

Postby dust devil » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:18 pm

I second the recommendation of miso soup. You can get it as a paste in a small plastic tub. Keep it in your cooler along with some boiled eggs or tofu and maybe scallions. Chop the boiled eggs or tofu & scallions and add them along with a few generous scoops of miso paste to very hot water.
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness.
dust devil

Postby runhardretard » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:12 pm

PRINGLES!

We went through 4 cans, and could'v eaten more. They're salty and addictive!
runhardretard

Postby rodent » Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:44 pm

For me... Cheese Nips! Salt and Carbs and orange colored goodness.

and... Safeway Select Mini Raviolis. Salt, sugar, carbs, protein and red flavored goodness. Cheap too (and better than Chef Boi Ardi IMHO... yes I did a taste test). This year, my lips were stained orangeish/red as if I were a Spice addicted Harkonnen :)

I had a nice quart sized water bottle with sholder strap. I put in about 1/2 to 1/4 the directed amount of powdered Gatoraid everytime I filled up. NOTE: be carefull with Gatoraid or other electrolyte drinks (and salt in general), you CAN have too much electrolytes and that WILL fuck you up as much as not drinking enough water. If you have too much electrolyte in your system, your body needs to flush it out and will drain your body of water in the process.

rodent (putting the eek in geek)
"There's not a word yet,
for old friends, who just met"
-Gonzo, "I'm Going to go Back There Someday"
rodent

Re: Salty foods are so important

Postby Kinetic » Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:28 pm

dragonflyannie wrote:I don't think it's emphasized enough how much foods high in sodium are important out there. I took really good care of myself this year out there... or so I thought. I drank water like a fish but didn't have enough sodium in my food and didn't drink electrolytes and ended up in medical for dehydration...
Folks, eat pickles, eat bacon, eat miso soup! Or at least make sure you are replacing your electrolytes with gatorade or electrolyte replacement powder, otherwise you might end up like I did... completely sober, not a bruise on my body, but still in the medical tent.

... yet another valuable bm lesson learned for meeeee...... :!:

Guess who ended up in medical for the second damn year in a row! I had Dragontear and myself, camelbaks that got heavy use, and 42 gallons of water, not including ice, grape juice, orange juice and more. I couldn't find the gatorade and I didn't eat much besides MRE's and even then I was too picky, and I crashed hard. REMSA brought me back to life but I was so embarassed. I thought I'd prepared. I did, but on food prep I sucked. And what's even more embarassing is I had a microwave with me and I still didn't fix the right food or eat well. I royally screwed up my food this year.

04 will NOT be like the last two years. And Tiara's garlic olives were fantastic. I'm still craving those things after she got me started on 'em.

Oh, another tip. If your a caffeine junky like I am, don't wait until 2 weeks before BM to cut back and get hydrated. At least the REMSA people have cool hangers to hold those IV bags...multi-colored plastic seahorses and other shapes give you something to look at when lying flat on your back in the Medical tent.
Kinetic

Need salt?

Postby rpw » Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:32 pm

Don't forget salt tablets. They really do work.
rpw

Postby Sobretta Franjipan » Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:55 am

Oh yes Olives are key-lots of them. Pickles. Smoked almonds are delicious. And our beloved Cheese Goop! But honestly, I'm still disturbed about that confused soul winding up in the medical tent-SOBER. That's where you went wrong-------

P.S. Back to Trader Joe's-they sell individual (burnable) packets of dehydrated miso soup. Score! Bodes very well on a freezing predawn drug coming down brain/stomach too.

And don't forget to eat your garlic! A clove a day keeps everything at bay. Really helps with a hangover too.
Sobretta Franjipan

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks