Playa dreadlocks

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Playa dreadlocks

Postby Prime Duchess » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:10 pm

I heard a rumor about a camp (?) that does maintainence for your dreads. Anyone know anything about this. I havent any fellow dreadheads here for advice or grooming help, and I could use some fixin' up.
Anyone have tips on washing on the playa or scalp issues?
Prime Duchess

Postby AntiM » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:59 am

Hehehe, you said washing on the playa.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Prime Duchess » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:37 pm

I assume that the alkali dust would start to make your scalp irritated.
No?
Prime Duchess

Postby AntiM » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:12 pm

YMMV, it depends on the individual. The alkalai dust doesn't bother me a bit and I don't wash my hair all week. This may not work for you though.

I have long straight hair which is either in braids or a bun. I tried washing it one year on the playa and it tangled so badly I just gave up. I don't even brush it daily on the playa, when I did, the brush was so yucky I had to toss it. I have amazingly silky hair after that first wash though!

There's ways and places to get your hair or scalp washed, although I don't know of any specific camps which do so except Astral Hair Wash. I don't remember seeing them last year.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby unjonharley » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:28 pm

My whiner grandson complained about his wounderful hair. The hair wash camp last year washed his f..in hair. He wont be coming along this year. I get my hair cut a few days before BM Also take extra care of toe and finger nails. That takes care some extra crap I don't have to deal with on playa. A bad toe nail can keep you in camp instead of out having fun. Short finger nail help health care out there too.
/Running to catch the last basket of the day
unjonharley

Postby upriver » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:48 pm

I've had dreads for 16 years and I've never done any maintainence on them on Playa or off--that's part of why I have them. It's just dust. While you're there you get used to everything being covered in it. One good shower when you get home pretty much takes care of it. A hat would probably help, but there's really no point in trying to fight dust.
upriver

Postby wrong trousers » Sun May 01, 2005 12:22 am

I can't even imagine what kind of "maintenance" your dreads might need? Unless you just want to wash them at some point? There are camps you can wash your hair at I hear.

I've never washed my dreads at Bman & they haven't bothered me or been a problem at all.
wrong trousers

Postby Prime Duchess » Tue May 03, 2005 7:16 am

Well as far as maintainence is concerned, I heard about someone offering help with sections, loose hairs, sewing/crochet, to spiff them up. Since I did mine myself the sectioning is a little off and I have lots of loose hairs I'd like fixed. Thats what I meant by maintainance.
As far as washing, I havent ever been to the desert. I have a rather itchy scalp lately and was concerned with the alkalai dust and more itchies or possible irritation.
Prime Duchess

playa dreadlocks

Postby Girlfriend in a Coma » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:27 am

S'up, my Duchess?

I've got dreads, but I'm African-American so our scalp needs are different. However, I did find this No Rinse Shampoo (norinse.com). I tried it and don't think it'll work for me b/c my hair's really thick, but you might give it a try. The other thing about the No Rinse is that it has sodium lauryl sulfate, as do most shampoos, and it's drying---again, might be okay for Caucasian hair.

Ultimately, I've decided to try and keep my hat on or wrap my hair. Once I get home the mint shampoo hairwash will be on like Donkey Kong!

Good luck!
Girlfriend in a Coma

Postby coozeller » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:10 pm

They make a waterless shampoo that they use in retirement homes for people who cant bend to a sink or what-not. That might help ya out, or it might just turn into a big mess. You might do a dry run (no pun intended) at home and if it just gets all up in your stuff, you can rinse it out and know better. You can call the local hair supply stores or even an assisted living home to find it.
Never been, hoping for 2006! I have been watching the community for a couple years now, and am very interested in joining, and bringing what I am to everyone.
coozeller

idea...

Postby EvadingTheFade » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:06 pm

I was thinking about putting braids into my hair and then putting shrink tubing over the braids for a bizzare maintenance-free hairstyle. Who knows. Maybe I'll go bald... :lol:
The Less Full Of Ourselves We Are, The More Room We Have For Other People.
EvadingTheFade

Postby Atar » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:53 pm

Have a plan on how to remove them without cutting your hair :P Otherwise, cool idea :mrgreen:
Burning with inspiration! )'(
Atar

hmm...

Postby EvadingTheFade » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:46 am

I'm hoping they'll slide off after a week of use (or sooner). I got extentions braided in my hair and they didn't last long. I hadn't really thought about it. But I would think that the hair wraps with embroidery floss would be more of a bitch to get out of one's hair. (?)
The Less Full Of Ourselves We Are, The More Room We Have For Other People.
EvadingTheFade

Postby Atar » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:24 am

I really like your idea :) Be sure to use a hair dryer to shrink the tubing though. All hair shrivels and stinks when its exposed to an open flame (the usual method to work shrink tubing is heat it with a lighter or sumsuch). Also, you could go with several widths of shrink tubing. Use one wider width to cover your braids and then close it off with a smaller piece of about an inch that has a thinner width. I've done some cabling this way to keep it somwhat more flexible and it can be removed easier.

Good luck, be sure to post some pics :mrgreen:

edit: did some googling and found UV Reactive and Glow in the Dark shrink tubing :D
Atar

Re: hmm...

Postby phil » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:31 pm

EvadingTheFade wrote:I'm hoping they'll slide off after a week of use (or sooner).

I'll cut the tubing off for you.
phil

Postby Atar » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:05 am

I'm curious, did you end up doing this? I want to know how it looks! :mrgreen: I'll PM you aswell.
I decided to grow my hair and get dreads before next year.
Atar

Postby SED » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:01 am

Here's a suggestion: cut the fuckers off and leave 'em at home.

DREAD LOCKS ONLY LOOK GOOD ON BLACK PEOPLE!!!
It ain't the hanging, it's the drop.
SED

Postby helitack » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:41 am

Ahem:

...I would definitely take the chance on this one...
helitack

Camp Name: Apokiliptika

Postby SED » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:55 am

Personally, I think it's the tits, not dreads.
SED

Postby Atar » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:51 pm

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess, but in my opinion it cannot be debated that this woman has beautiful dreads! Oh, and don't take this as a personal attack SED but go search on flickr for 'dreadlocks' sometime. It might change your mind.
Atar

Postby SED » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:49 pm

That woman would be beautiful with a pile of rancid calf's liver on her head. As for her dreads, I would walk more than a few yards aside if I should happen across them washed up on that beach.
SED

Postby joel the ornery » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:12 am

SED wrote:Here's a suggestion: cut the fuckers off and leave 'em at home.

DREAD LOCKS ONLY LOOK GOOD ON BLACK PEOPLE!!!

SED, chill..

as elvis said; "hair today, gone tomorrow"

dreads?? seems unhygienic to me.
joel the ornery

Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares
Burning Since: 1998

Postby SED » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:01 am

Censored at last!
SED

Re:

Postby lbasche » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:40 am

Atar wrote:Image

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess, but in my opinion it cannot be debated that this woman has beautiful dreads! Oh, and don't take this as a personal attack SED but go search on flickr for 'dreadlocks' sometime. It might change your mind.

Not to mention, Ashley is just an awesome chick. =P
lbasche

Re: Playa dreadlocks

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:12 am

Astral Headwash ain't going this year?

Do it yourself then.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Re:

Postby user0913 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:17 pm

Atar wrote:Image

I kind of want to play with her hair...so gorgeous!!
I've had my dreads for 10 years. The dryness of the desert works wonders for them in terms of helping the process along. Being black may give me an advantage, but it's been my experience that dryness works for keeping them together. As far as care goes, I rolled in playa dust on the way in, and was covered in it all week. It seemed to strengthen them actually. I'd go with the earlier advice, wash after leaving and you should be fine. Ill be washing dust out of mine probably till next year.
When done well, dreads look great on anyone regardless of race. Pickup the book Dreads by Alphonse Pagano and Francesco Mastalia. Incredible portraits of multiple dreaded races
user0913

Re: Playa dreadlocks

Postby bbyjcam_19 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:58 pm

Is there anyone here who makes dreadfallsets? I am interested in getting some or if you know anyone who makes a great pair. :D
"Ohhh... It's about 2:45 on a Tuesday morning.... I believe it's time to rage."
bbyjcam_19

Burning Since: 2012

Return to Clothing & Playawear