"Pool Boy" or "Pool Girl" Needed for BM

Postby Chai Guy » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Wait a second, i'm not allowed to joke?

Joke all you want, I've appreciated your humour in other forums. No name calling.

damn, all i wanted was a pool boy....

and all I want is for someone to wipe my butt and change my diaper. Radical Self Reliance is sooooo 1995.
Chai Guy

Postby Bigfinger » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:22 pm

[quote="Chai Guy"]Watch the name calling bigfinger, it's not allowed here. People didn't appreciate your idea and they let you know it. No one resorted to calling you names and I would like you to extend us the same respect. If you have a point back it up with facts, or humour, or sarcasm, or whatever, but leave the childish taunts on the playground where they belong.

It seems like you don't have much problem dishing it out, so learn to take it once and while, OK?[/quote]

Whatever, Chai Guy. How is calling someone a name worse than profiling someone as an asshole just because of where they live, which is exactly what happened.

do you people hear yourselves? look at the bullshit rant you people had for two days about complete misinformation. of course no one apologizes for it. instead you all get on my case for defending myself. and then try to say some bullshit line like 'It seems like you don't have much problem dishing it out, so learn to take it once and while, OK?'. dude, please on't try your passive aggressive bullshit with me.

so then calling someone a name after they accuse you of trying to take advantage of hot women by luring them in with a pool- after that and all the other shit, me calling someone a name is bad? a funny name, i might add. i would've laughed if i read it.
Bigfinger

Postby Chai Guy » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:49 pm

Calling theCryptofishist "Cryptodouch" is not cool, it crosses a line. It's mean and I don't appreciate it. Perhaps it pushed my button because fishy is a close personal friend, I'm willing to concede that, but I'm asking politely, please refrain from making similar comments in the future.

Should you disagree with me or anyone else on the board feel free to let the snide comments and sarcasm fly, just refrain from the direct name calling, that's all I'm asking.

As for an apology, now that I have all the facts, it seems the only thing I may have misinterpreted about the original post was the Private aspect. For that let me apologize:

I'm sorry.

You can see how I might make an assumption about your pool being PRIVATE when you clearly stated such in your original post.

As for the Pool Boy/Girl and Grey water disposal, I still think it's very bourgeois and very un-radical-self-reliant of you to expect someone else to carry out these tasks for you. I certainly wouldn't bank on JOTs being able to do the job as each year they seem to be getting more and more taxed just keeping up with their primary mission of servicing the event.
Chai Guy

Postby Kinetic IV » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:13 pm

Of course he's hot!!! This was all a front, as Cryptodouch so accurately suggested, for me to get laid. and now, i've even turned gay to fulfill his words.

This hits 11.5 on my wrongness meter for many different reasons. I know discussions can get heated around here but I think that statement calls for an apology. I don't give a flying fuck if this draws fire for me sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong but there's no reason for that choice of words. Not a damn one.

I hate to bring up the can we get along stuff but most of us are going to be on the playa together in 8 days. Do we really need this crap going on? Shoot the message, not the messenger..or at least make the effort!
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby Bigfinger » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:16 pm

[quote="Chai Guy"]Calling theCryptofishist "Cryptodouch" is not cool, it crosses a line. It's mean and I don't appreciate it. Perhaps it pushed my button because fishy is a close personal friend, I'm willing to concede that, but I'm asking politely, please refrain from making similar comments in the future.

Should you disagree with me or anyone else on the board feel free to let the snide comments and sarcasm fly, just refrain from the direct name calling, that's all I'm asking.

As for an apology, now that I have all the facts, it seems the only thing I may have misinterpreted about the original post was the Private aspect. For that let me apologize:

I'm sorry.

You can see how I might make an assumption about your pool being PRIVATE when you clearly stated such in your original post.

As for the Pool Boy/Girl and Grey water disposal, I still think it's very bourgeois and very un-radical-self-reliant of you to expect someone else to carry out these tasks for you. I certainly wouldn't bank on JOTs being able to do the job as each year they seem to be getting more and more taxed just keeping up with their primary mission of servicing the event.[/quote]

1) Why do you not consider the other stuff the cryptofish did as mean-spirited? Why do you seem to consider it fine that the cryptofish in a very ignorant and mean-spirited way 'profiled' someone based on where they lived? And then referred to me as a 'judgemental snivler'. Why don't you have a rule against 'misrepresenting the truth' and talking shit-lies? that would seem to be much more in order than a ban on silly funny names that don't actually hurt anyone because they're so ridiculuous. I mean, you're not saying that Crypto really thought that me calling it a douche was gonna sway anyone's opinion of it to think that the Cryptofish was an actual plastic cryptodouche used by people to get off? that would be ridiculous, of course. calling someone a name like Cryptodouche is harmless. Lying and misrepresenting truth is dangerous.

2) With all of your lofty netiquette, no one seems to have a problem that DoNoHarm Cryptofish (uh oh is that name-calling? i'm not sure. pardon if it is) took a private message sent by me and put it on public forum to use against me in a caustic, immature, nasty little smear campaign. Why have none of you had a problem with that? with all your funny little rules, that seems like it's one of the worst ones to break!!!

3) Regarding the water disposal, you have no idea of who we're paying bud, so stop conjecturing on things you have no idea about. We have a private contract and its legal. This is the same thing you did before: assume you knew everything and then preached it like you were some kind of master, when in fact, you're preaching based on misinformation. do you hear how lofty you sound? and while not even knowing what you're talking about.

4) Dude, I'll be sure to call you when I want to be inspected for my Radical Self-Reliant diploma. but really...are you serious in passing crazy non-fact filled judgement like that? again, you are talking shit about things and people you know nothing about. Why do you keep doing this?
Bigfinger

Postby Bigfinger » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:19 pm

again, why do you not have a problem with the initial act of maligning me and my camp as being slimebags trying to use a pool to lure women in for sex, and instead have a problem with the SARCASTIC response back?

that seems awfully hollow. You're so caught up with the letter of the law while ignoring the real transgression.

[quote="Kinetic IV"][quote]Of course he's hot!!! This was all a front, as Cryptodouch so accurately suggested, for me to get laid. and now, i've even turned gay to fulfill his words.[/quote]

This hits 11.5 on my wrongness meter for many different reasons. I know discussions can get heated around here but I think that statement calls for an apology. I don't give a flying fuck if this draws fire for me sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong but there's no reason for that choice of words. Not a damn one.

I hate to bring up the can we get along stuff but most of us are going to be on the playa together in 8 days. Do we really need this crap going on? Shoot the message, not the messenger..or at least make the effort![/quote]
Bigfinger

Postby Chai Guy » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:37 pm

Bigfinger,

I'd really like to bury the hatchet here. You don't think you did anything wrong. Fine. I'm asking that you refrain from calling people names, I don't need to hear about how other people called you names first, you sound like a child when you do that.

If you're upset about the initial interpretation of your post, perhaps it was in the way you worded it that elicited such a reaction?

If you aren't using JOTS, my apologies, I know people who have burned by relying on them in the past and I'd like to spare you the headache and suggest that you have a plan b. I shouldn't expect you to adhere to a basic tenent of the event "radical self reliance" when it appears so few other people are these days. Ultimately the whole thing rests between you the Health Dept, The BLM, Burning Man, and the individual or company that shall remain nameless that you have hired.

I've said my piece, you can continue to post here and have the last word, but if you are looking for a response please PM me. Thanks.
Chai Guy

Postby fetching » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:58 pm

bigfinger,

from this thread, i have now heard about your legendary pool parties! i have my own set of water wings and a styrofloat that goes on my back, can i come for a swim?

i promise i won't pee in it.
fetching

Postby Bigfinger » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:58 pm

ok, you can bury the hatchet.

i do think though that it's kind of pathetic how all the people on this list that seemingly enjoyed going off on one of your fellow burners based on total total bullshit could NOT take responsibility for their actions. they just got upset when i justifiably had a problem with the actions of the Cryptofish and called it like it was. yeah you apologized for one of your conclusion-jumping moments, but then in the same breath you had the gall to call me Bourgeois, a vestige of the idea that the Cryptofish propagated meaning that because i was from Hollywood I was 'un-radically self-reliant' and (i can't believe you used the word!) bourgeois. how ludicrous, don't you think?

so whatever, i called the cryptofish a cryptodouche. i was describing someone committing very douche-like behavior. big deal. I'M SORRY. I'm a silly silly boy for calling people names. the fact is though beyond the silly name-calling, i just called the truth as it was. and this list could NOT handle it.

Don't hate me for being right.

[quote="Chai Guy"]Bigfinger,

I'd really like to bury the hatchet here. You don't think you did anything wrong. Fine. I'm asking that you refrain from calling people names, I don't need to hear about how other people called you names first, you sound like a child when you do that.

If you're upset about the initial interpretation of your post, perhaps it was in the way you worded it that elicited such a reaction?

If you aren't using JOTS, my apologies, I know people who have burned by relying on them in the past and I'd like to spare you the headache and suggest that you have a plan b. I shouldn't expect you to adhere to a basic tenent of the event "radical self reliance" when it appears so few other people are these days. Ultimately the whole thing rests between you the Health Dept, The BLM, Burning Man, and the individual or company that shall remain nameless that you have hired.

I've said my piece, you can continue to post here and have the last word, but if you are looking for a response please PM me. Thanks.[/quote]
Bigfinger

Postby Bigfinger » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:01 pm

[quote="fetching"]bigfinger,

from this thread, i have now heard about your legendary pool parties! i have my own set of water wings and a styrofloat that goes on my back, can i come for a swim?

i promise i won't pee in it.[/quote]

now that's what i'm talking about!!!! what a long wasteful bullshit digression from the thing i came here to talk about: good ol' fashioned fun in the sun, and water.

Certainly you are more than welcome in our pool. PM me, please.

see!!! being nice works!!!!
Bigfinger

Postby Badger » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:28 pm

I know people who have burned by relying on them in the past and I'd like to spare you the headache and suggest that you have a plan b.

Take that advice and run with it. JOTS is NOTORIOUS for not being able to follow through. It's not a question of indifference or neglect. It's just that their priority is focused on the toilets and communal water resources around the city.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Bigfinger » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:38 pm

[quote="Badger"][quote]I know people who have burned by relying on them in the past and I'd like to spare you the headache and suggest that you have a plan b.[/quote]

Take that advice and run with it. JOTS is NOTORIOUS for not being able to follow through. It's not a question of indifference or neglect. It's just that their priority is focused on the toilets and communal water resources around the city.[/quote]

Believe me, it's not JOTS. We know about JOTS. we've done this before. thanks for the advice though.
Bigfinger

Ohm :-)

Postby Kai » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:15 am

Who's line is it anyway?
Time to hit the playa!

K~
Kai

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:45 am

Okay, okay I admit I plonked bigfinger and started informally ignoring this thread with "Cryptofool" and I missed "Cryptodouche." Yes, bigfinger, "Cryptofool" hurt me and "cryptodouche" is just darn gross.

I try to do right by this board and by the event. Sometimes I fail. I'm sorry that you feel jumped on by me. I don't know what to say. I see a lot of bad balloons floated here, and whereas I do like to encourage creativity at the event but "bad" creativity (judged by being a direct threat to permit restrictions or an indirect threat to the things I feel make bm special) is something I feel should be nipped in the bud.

I know it's hard to put yourself out on the board and get pummeled from mulitple directions. When I do it, I can feel very tender and thinskinned. No fun.

so f*ck me, f*ck chai guy, fc8ck Kinetic. stuart said you could handle the ribbing, even find it funny. Try to live up to that better part of yourself. If stuart says it's there, he's probably right. The best revenge is quitely and calmly being a good citizen so the rest of us have to eat our words.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Bigfinger » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:11 am

[quote="theCryptofishist"]Okay, okay I admit I plonked bigfinger and started informally ignoring this thread with "Cryptofool" and I missed "Cryptodouche." Yes, bigfinger, "Cryptofool" hurt me and "cryptodouche" is just darn gross.

I try to do right by this board and by the event. Sometimes I fail. I'm sorry that you feel jumped on by me. I don't know what to say. I see a lot of bad balloons floated here, and whereas I do like to encourage creativity at the event but "bad" creativity (judged by being a direct threat to permit restrictions or an indirect threat to the things I feel make bm special) is something I feel should be nipped in the bud.

I know it's hard to put yourself out on the board and get pummeled from mulitple directions. When I do it, I can feel very tender and thinskinned. No fun.

so f*ck me, f*ck chai guy, fc8ck Kinetic. stuart said you could handle the ribbing, even find it funny. Try to live up to that better part of yourself. If stuart says it's there, he's probably right. The best revenge is quitely and calmly being a good citizen so the rest of us have to eat our words.[/quote]

To be honest, I didn't even know that you weren't allowed to call people names. Obviously, as you saw from my cross-posting antics, I'm new to the e-playa. The meager number of posts I have in my history are all for this thread (nice fucking intro, eh?). SO, I had no idea that this was such a cardinal sin. That being said, I still think it's a bit of a retarded picayune rule when viewed against the bullshit stereotyping discriminative truth-manipulating BS that is rampant in these parts. But yeah, i guess you gotta have rules. so again, sorry.

But again, especially to Arresting Officer Chai Guy, why didn't you bust Crypto when 'it' violated such a sacred rule of not making private messages public without permission? why? because it didn't fit into your agenda and because you were friends with Crypto. If you guys are gonna weild such a big stick with your rules, you better be able to turn the knife on yourselves, and stop using the rules to cater to your pre-canned agendas.

And where we'll have to agree to disagree: You find CryptoDouche gross, I find it funny, especially when it is describing a Cryptofishist being a douche. Being a douche means plonking, which you just admitted doing to me. So to me, I was just being descriptive. I'm sorry that it broke your name-calling rule. And of course, I don't think you're a CryptoDouche now.

Another gripe I have is the passive aggressive tone of this list. Take for instance your 'apology'. Instead of saying, "I'm sorry for jumping on you, Bigfinger', you said, 'I'm sorry you felt jumped on by me," thereby admitting no wrong on your end, merely apologizing for my response. Sorry seems to be the hardest word for this list to say. if you notice, every sorry has a preamble of reasons why the 'sorry' ultimately has no value. And then there's this continual attempt to categorize me as 'not able to take it', or again, that I 'felt jumped on." Motherfuckers, you jumped on me without knowing who I was, and I sarcasticly fended off every single one of you without breaking a sweat, laughing all the way to my blog, 'where everybody knows your name(s). And you CAN call people names.'

Tommy Bigfinger
Bigfinger

Postby Kinetic IV » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:04 pm

I'm sorry Bigfinger.
With no disclaimers, qualifiers, or fluff. I appreciate having the chance to express my opinion here. Moving on....

Motherfuckers, you jumped on me without knowing who I was, and I sarcasticly fended off every single one of you without breaking a sweat, laughing all the way to my blog, 'where everybody knows your name(s). And you CAN call people names.'

Tommy Bigfinger

Bigfinger, I will try to keep this short. Yes you can rip people on your blog. I have multiple blogs, I've done the very same thing you suggested. But before you do so you might want to visit Technorati and search on your blog and other key words to see where all your comments end up. Ripping people on a blog is like watching a supernova in space...you see the remnants of the explosion long after the event itself has passed. I found this out the hard way...I'm posting this here to maybe keep you and others from enduring the backlash I got. It was brutal. I hope you think carefully about what you post out there...the blogosphere is a very unforgiving place.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby Bigfinger » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:14 pm

bring it on. the truth is in the pudding. certainly in this thread. anyone who attacks me for stupid, childish reasons will look like a stupid child. If anyone attacks me for the right reason, hopefully with ease and grace, I will self-correct with their help and advice.
Bigfinger

Postby Stilesfamily » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:48 am

Wow, this thread has made me very sad. In some ways I regret ever joining the e-playa. Before I joined I had this happy, happy, joy, joy naive image of BM, where everyone embraced each other in mutual support and friendship. Not that I though that there was no other side to it, but the first 2 years I went that is pretty much all I saw.

IMHO The e-playa is kind of like a long party, then all of a sudden some unknown person pokes there head in a window and says “hey can you get me a hot dog and a beer” then disappears out the window again. So when that happens its hard for the people that were at the party the whole time not to roll there eyes just a little bit.

I joined the e-playa to get more involved with others of like minds. The first thing that popped out at me was the harsh criticism by what I now affectionately call “the gaggle”. It seemed so glaring and cruel but as time has gone by it has all become clearer to me. This is a group that has been together on this forum for, in many cases, years. They are friends, or at least they have a substantial history with each other and to them many of us are just flashes in the pan. We come and go, and post something we need, get it and are gone; just like on the playa, we show up for 2,3, or 7 days, the better of us spend a little extra time cleaning up someone else’s mess but in the end we leave and forget about all the people (volunteers) that make it happen, at least until next year. This is not to say that you do this but only to point out that as a new poster it could be assumed. Conversely, A lot of “the gaggle” volunteer significant amounts of time to many project associated with the BMorg, major theme camps or at the very least stay connected throughout the year. They also answer endless numbers of questions posted here, often the same questions repeatedly. So in the end I can’t begrudge them a little cynicism when someone pops on the e-playa to ask for something then disappears once they get it, as so often happens. I have seen them respond, and have responded myself, similarly on numerous threads and have noticed that when confronted they tend to respond sympathetically and apologetically to the criticism of there criticism.

You are bringing a pool and seem to be of the LNT philosophy so in my eyes you are being “Radically self reliant”, not that you need my approval. All theme camps are a group effort, needing lots of different people with different skills. I think one of your mistakes was that you don’t realize you are a theme camp, from what you described it does not sound like your camp is private. Like all theme camps you put a lot of time energy and money into it so you don’t want playa covered yahoo’s thinking it’s a Turkish bath or endless numbers of random people just jumping in, that requires some crowd control and proper pool placement to control access. I think you would have had a better reaction if you had approached the topic from a “Theme camp needs your participation” point of view, which is very BM, instead of “Looking for a sexy pool person for our private pool” which kind of smacks of suburbia and brings up images of arrogant wealthy homeowners looking to exploit the poor, but attractive, dregs of society(which is what mant of us are trying to escape). Please be sympathetic I know you were just trying to be funny and connect with fellow burners, and I am so sorry you got burnt, but to often the posts are serious, and that generates frustration.

I was truthfully surprised by your response; my first though was that this was a knee jerk reaction to the first few posts, because as you were defended in later posts everyone seemed apologetic and remorseful for misreading your intention. So everything seemed to be mellowing out on the thread and all of a sudden there is this furious post. Your response read, to me, very angry and spiteful and I think if you had just posted how much you were hurt by there assumptions you may have gotten much more of what you wanted, apologies. But again it is hard to take that tact when confronted by harsh criticism, in some ways I fear it may be perpetuating the very stereotype that it is criticizing.

OK I actually feel much better now, sorry my post was so long, I would love to come by and check out your pool set up, it sounds amazing.
E Tu Brute?
Stilesfamily

Postby Bigfinger » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:17 am

OK, so I apologize for the LAST post of mine, not for any others. In that post you detect a certain amount of frustration having built up from yet another form of antagonism, this time a threat from the entire blogsphere. While Kinetic i believe was truly trying to give me good advice, it certainly seemed like he was also speaking on behalf of the entire blogphere, and basically threatening on behald of all bloggers severe reprisal if i went ahead with what I was saying. So in my last spoke, I was speaking to the entire Blogsphere threat, not personally to Kinetic. I'm sorry if that got misinterpreted.

Also, you're detecting in me a certain level of frustration of how much time this thread has consumed in these last few days of preparation for BM. It's totally fucking ridiculous. I'm in the thick of it, so I'm gonna follow this through to the end, but damn, you guys just can't let it drop, and instead, passive-aggressively apologize and then bait me to the next level of brinkmanship.

Regarding the post before that when I had the last laugh, by saying this went into my blog, that was simply in response to the third time I was passive aggressively accused me of not being able to handle the gang-up. I think I explained myself enough for those who committed their transgressions, enough to get the apologies which you mention, but they never came. STILL, Cryptofishist was NOT aplogizing, just saying in a round about way, that 'it' had done nothing wrong essentially. And THEN, 'it' blatantly taunted me asking why I seemed like I couldn't take the heat. How 'it' got that crazy idea that I was sitting over here crying not being able to take it, I don't know. So, fuck, I mentioned it going in my blog. Big deal. It seems that I'm it's considered unfair if I have the last laugh on this list. It's like after Rule #1 (We don't say sorry), there's Rule #2 (you canNOT have the last laugh.)

The fact is the people who got all bent out of shape from my original post need to take a sarcasm pill. All the signs were totally in the first post to say that it was supposed to be a funny. But they were ignored, and self-righteous witch-hunt ensued. It didn't have to go the way it did on this thread- in fact so many people responded positively to that post in other places, saying they were dying laughing. (Thank g-d for cross-posting- Imagine if i had just posted it to this thread- how limited and negative my worldview would be!!!!) How did those people get the joke and the people on this post not? Because the people on this post take themselves wayyyyyyyy to seriously.

It's funny how once again, I'm defending myself, when really I've been the one being attacked the whole time. Chai said he was 'burying the hatchet' (and then of course kept attacking with it, calling me Bourgeois in the next sentence), that's fine, but note, I never brought the hatchet to the table. You guys had the hatchet, and I just kept catching it, throwing it right back in your faces. And you didn't like it. Lesson: Stop playing with hatchets. And unless you are TOTALLY JUSTIFIED (meaning you actually have knowledge of the situation you're taking a hatchet to), NEVER try to take a hatchet to a Bigfinger, especially through passive aggression, the most deplorable form of expression known our species, and one with which this list is rife.

TBF
Bigfinger

Postby Kinetic IV » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:42 am

I consider any issue with you to be resolved as per the PM's.

My command of English since my car crash in 2002 sucks but it's improving. Sometimes what I want to say doesn't come out right but in this case things got worked out. And that's what counts. Again I wish you a safe trip to and from the playa, and a great burn. Good luck to you.
K-IV
~~~~
Kinetic IV

Postby stuart » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:25 pm

I still think crossposting sucks.

But I am gonna get a dip in your pool. Perhaps it's because I work in the entertainment industry in L.A.. You know, connections and all that.
call me baby
stuart

Postby Kinetic IV » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:08 pm

This post is not intended to stir up crap. It's based on direct observations and a credible report and it leads into a question.

First a bit of the backstory....On Sunday morning after the burn I was at the main Ranger Station at Center Camp asking about exodus questions and perimeter closure info. After having my questions answered I stuck around and witnessed a young man being hauled out of the medical tent in handcuffs who was put into the front seat of a Pershing Co. Sheriff's truck. Right as this was going on two different groups of people came up to ask the Rangers for assistance. The first one asked for help with someone burning directly on the playa, and with a fire that was dangerously hot and they were concerned about it.

The second question was if the Rangers could assist with someone draining a large swimming pool...one that was described to be about the same size as the one in the thread. The people making the report were concerned that all that water being drained would make the playa too soft for them to depart later in the day and it was posing a safety hazard to people driving down the ring street. So my question is: Did the group who brought the pool mentioned in this thread really haul out the water, or was this Ranger report about them illegally dumping the water out despite what we were told? The Rangers said there was only one large pool that they were aware of...I'm wondering if there's a connection?
K-IV
~~~~
Kinetic IV

Pool Report BM.05

Postby Bigfinger » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:24 am

I am proud to say that the PlayaGround pool located at 9:30 and Amnesia was a raging success. It was shielded from view by a 6 ft. tall black fence, inside of which was 1000 sq ft of astroturf and a Pink Pong table (yes a pink ping pong table). The pool water was very clean, and pretty clear, although we never got it crystal clear like in 2003- we couldn't locate our second filter. AND, the water was COLD.

We opened for the first time Wednesday afternoon around 3:30 for our Happy Humpday Happy Hour. There was a constant flow of traffic throughout the week which never got out of control. How did we 'discriminate' entry for our 'private' pool? After working out a couple of protocol kinks with our security staff, the question posed to people at the door was: 'How can you make the pool better?' Gifts that enhanced poolside got you in. Simple as that.

Balls were prohibited from the pool, especially the inflatable football, as they encouraged jumping over the sidewalls which would've sank the entire Tokyo Sector. I'll admit I jumped down a few people's throats a little too strongly when they tried that foolish move. Also, there was a film crew that I let in making an indie film, not realizing the damage it would do to the ambience (people just did NOT want to be filmed in the pool.) They were escorted out once we realized the problem.

Other than that everything was hunky dory. Our water was filled on Tuesday night and drained in two loads on Monday. When we lifted the astroturf off the playa, there was not a drop of water underneath it. The pool that Kinetic mentions was NOT our pool. I know of at least two other pools on the playa this year, but I know nothing about them except that they did not have the 'oasis' setup like we did. One of them was located around El Circo.

Thanks for all those who made the pool a success. We were told much more than once that it was the greatest gift on the playa. For me, the greatest gift was watching people's faces contort in ecstasy as they dipped into the cold water for the first time, in disbelief that they were in cold water while in a scorching hot desert.

Sorry to disappoint all the naysayers. All your bitching was for naught. Please, go find another pool to shit in.
Bigfinger

Postby Kinetic IV » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:40 am

Bigfinger, thanks for taking the time to respond...I was kinda hesitant to post that and I didn't know if it involved your group or not. I'm glad it was someone else.

I do know that the Rangers took off to investigate and when 4 people come up and report the problem...well it would have me believe someone sure dumped their water out. In any event it's over and done...if the pool idea surfaces in future years people can be directed back to your posts and learn how to do it right. Thanks again.
K-IV
~~~~
Kinetic IV

Postby ZaphodBurner » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:16 am

We had a small wading pool in a large tent behind our camp. JotS pumped it out for cash and root beer, but it was only used three or four times. Unfortunately, the dust storm on Monday struck right as our pool guy was setting it up, so it wasn't as dust-free as we wanted even though the filter worked.

We ended up using some of the water for an interactive shower we had going which became more popular than we expected. The unused, clean water was sprinkled on the playa next to the dickhead who had the entire 100'x100' emtpy lot behind us to himself and chose to pitch his tent less than a foot from our generator and then left a bunch of water bottles and other MOOP all over the place.

-c
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby HughMungus » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:36 am

So I'm curious. To the OP: Did this work out for you as expected?
HughMungus

great time

Postby Paradox Plaid » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:45 pm

I met Landra and Beth on the ride up when their car was having trouble, dropped in for a happy hour party, and had me a swim. I can't comment on there being the same pool boy or girl the whole time, but there was a girl who brought drinks while i was in the pool (conveniently she was bartending as well). Mighty refreshing, thank you kindly for all your efforts Bigfinger!! (and i never use two exclamation points). My friend and i were talking and that's the only pool either of us have been in this summer, and on the Playa no less. You kids rock! :)
Paradox Plaid

Please help a poor farm boy live his dream.

Postby Mr.? » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:52 pm

Hello, my name is Pedro and I live in the High Mountains of Basil. My family works a Yucca plantation very high above the sea. The sea is the only source for irrigation. I and my brothers and sisters work very hard all day to deliver water to the growing crops. My brothers and sisters work very long hours just to make enough money for food, but I have been saving up secretly for a computer. With my bare minimum wages I have internet for the first time. I see these sites of Burning man, and I dream to go. I long to disco all night long in the hot and dry dessert. I know how to spin fire on my genitals and my people love that crap. I would think that burning man would dig it too!
I work very hard, and have a very tone body. I know many secrets of caring for water, and have spent many days of my life with water jugs on my head. I don’t know what a “Speedo” is, but I have a seal skin suit and it fits my nicely. My thighs are muscular, but if that’s not your thing my sisters can come too. They are very obedient and quiet. We just need tickets and some ecstasy when we arrive. Please help me see the burn. I will work very hard and like I said I know a thing or too about water.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
Mr.?

Postby geekster » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:59 pm

I know a thing or too about water.

uh, huh

The sea is the only source for irrigation.

But you don't know fuck all about plants, do ya, bucko?

Well, I suppose genital fire spinning trumps all that shit. Okay, bring the sisters, you're in.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby Bigfinger » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:57 pm

ok, this is getting weird!
Bigfinger

Previous

Return to 2005 Theme Camps