First Timers Wanted for Collaborative Video Project!!!

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Postby Justin Gunn » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:22 pm

Current TV (www.current.tv) is launching August 1 with 25% of our content shot, produced, and edited by our audience. This year at Burning Man we're looking for a First Time Attendees that we can supply with cameras to document their adventures in Black Rock City. Your story, through your eyes will be professionally edited and aired on Current TV, the new collaborative television network created by former Vice President Al Gore.

So you know, we are also looking for a group of Art Car creators as well as a Theme Camp crew. And just in case you're concerned about any corporate media bias, I myself am a 3 year Burning Man veteran (even our President of Programming goes every year) and we want these segments to be true to the spirit of the event. That's why we want to supply you with the tools to tell your story from the inside out (besides giving me a wonderful excuse to get to the playa this year without having to take time off of work)!

So if you have a kick-ass Theme Camp and want to participate in our grassroots style of television programming give me a hollar here.

-Justin Gunn
Special Projects Producer
Current TV, LLC
www.current.tv
Justin Gunn

Postby ibdave » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:59 pm

Has this been approved through the BM Media ????
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Yes.

Postby Justin Gunn » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:09 pm

BM Media has requested that we look for support for our project here first, but we have received their nod of approval.
Justin Gunn
Current TV, LLC
Justin Gunn

Postby HughMungus » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:54 pm

Cool idea. One year I bought a couple of 8mm video cameras and was going to loan them out to let people shoot video from their perspective then show it at my camp at night. Never happened, though, and now I'm past my wanna-be documentarian stage. :D

Just make sure you instruct the newbies about camera etiquette. You don't want tapes full of "Get the fuck away from me with that camera."

Good luck!
HughMungus

Postby Kinetic IV » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:01 pm

So you've decided to film the art car creators and theme camp people but what about the rest of us? How about picking a couple of random participants and letting them loose with one of your cameras? If you stick with the art car folks they're limited in where they can operate the art cars and with the theme camps yes they're interesting but you're still missing a good part of the event if you mainly focus on them. Not everything out there operates on a large scale. A lot of individual contributors bust their asses to make art and projects for the playa and would offer some interesting footage and compelling images....how about getting a more balanced view of the experience? Get a couple of solo cameras out there and let them show you facets of the event you would miss otherwise. </soapbox>
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Great idea.

Postby Justin Gunn » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:52 am

You know, that's a great idea, too. As a starting point, we wanted to focus on larger scale art projects and installations, but as we all know, you never know what you'll find at the Man. I will also be attending to capture with my camera some of these more random individual characters and stories in addition to the above mentioned ideas.

Thanks for the ideas....
Justin Gunn
Current TV, LLC
Justin Gunn

Postby ZaphodBurner » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:50 am

Check your private messages. We've got a dozen new Burners (working on our project in our backyard while I'm at f'in work!) including a mother and her 5-y.o. She won't exactly be filming Reefer Madness drug orgies and gratuitious tits.

Can probably drum up some interest in the Zaphod camp. I PMed you so you could send them your contact info. Mostly our camp won't have a problem with video cameras poking around, mostly.

-gatt

\v|v/
Zaphod Burns
http://www.zaphodburns2005.org
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

1st time burner--with an organizational focus

Postby flashgirl » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:02 pm

love to help liberal media---my focus is going to be city infrastructure--more in a PM
flashgirl

Postby Stilesfamily » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:15 pm

There is Liberal media, WHERE WHERE!! and whisper so the conservatives can't hear.
E Tu Brute?
Stilesfamily

Sorry to burst your bubbles...

Postby Justin Gunn » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:21 am

But Current is not a liberal network, per se. We are, however, a network of, by, and for the audience. We are, in essence, YOU! As such, we invite our audience to to participate by producing content to air on the network and deciding which programs make air.

So Current is really what you make of it. It's the democratization of television. Kinda like Burning Man - we're about participants only.
Justin Gunn
Current TV, LLC
Justin Gunn

Postby Stilesfamily » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:38 am

I realize this may not be exactly how you meant it but it sounds like what you are saying is that you want to show the people what they want to see. How would that be different from any other station? I like stations like PBS and KOCE and media like KPFK where issue are compelling, not always popular, and make me re-examine my beliefs and broaden my horizons. Your not gonna sell me on “It’s kinda like Burning Man only television” BM spread over 365 days would end up a bureaucratized nightmare. How are you different? Are you playing to the consumer segment of society? We have more of that than we need.
I’m not trying to be hard on you. Well I guess I am but I, as well as countless others, are getting real sick of being sold the Shiny New and Different same old thing.

Compel me!
Move me!
Inspire me!
Fill me with your contagious enthusiasm on how this will make the world a better place! If you can do that I will be a fan for life and a big supporter.
E Tu Brute?
Stilesfamily

Postby Justin Gunn » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:27 am

Well, here's the deal. If you have a story you want to tell... something you'd like to see on TV but haven't, then grab a video camera, shoot it, and upload it to our Online Studio at current.tv. If our online viewers like your piece, they will greenlight it and Current will license your piece and air it on the network. Already, we have been receiving many incredible stories (we call them "pods"). If you have DirecTV, you can check us out on channel 366.
Justin Gunn
Current TV, LLC
Justin Gunn

Postby Stilesfamily » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:36 am

Well that does sound very fascinating, I'm going to check it out. Was not aware of the angle, Appologize for jumping to conclusions.
E Tu Brute?
Stilesfamily

Postby kilngod » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:13 pm

My 15-yr. old son and I will be first-timers this year: our big adventure together before either of us grows up and we part ways.

We'd love to participate in this project. I'vebeen hoping to get The Boy to make some films of this gig on his own, and we will be bring our 8mm with us. Yes, I am aware of the vid cam registration rules for Bman.

I see that the 48-hour film project screening is scheduled for Thursday night. Is this your project? We'll be there, in any event.

Peace.
kilngod

Postby Justin Gunn » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:36 am

We are not associated with the 48-hour project. But thank you for your enthusiastic response. At present, we are looking for a larger group of first timers, however.
Justin Gunn
Current TV, LLC
Justin Gunn

interested virgin burner

Postby XenophilliacFatGirl9 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:04 pm

I think the idea is insanely cool and i would like to participate for sure so if you want get back to me. i am more than willing to document my experience you can email me @ DuctTapeJunkie9@yahoo.com or call me at home with details at 916-399-9801 My name is Sossity so just let me know thanks alot

Sossity. :wink:
XenophilliacFatGirl9

First Timers Wanted

Postby Katie1207 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:52 pm

Hello:

I'm interested - how do I find you on the playa? We're staying in the AEZ at 5:00 and Catharsis.

Cheers,
Katie
krogow@hotmail.com
Katie1207

First Timers Found

Postby Justin Gunn » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:18 am

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread with interest. We have found a group of firt-timers. However, I will be out and about on the playa, so if you see a guy walking around with a crazy camera rig and a green hat, that's me. I'd love to say hi. On the other hand, if it's after dark and you see a guy walking around with a coat with glowing orange panels, that's me too! See you all on the playa!
Justin Gunn
Current TV, LLC
Justin Gunn

Postby Gingher » Thu May 04, 2006 3:02 pm

Do you want footage of Space Cowgirl Camp? PM me darlyn.
Yeeehaaaw!
Gingher

Return to Get Involved!