Spheres of transformation

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Spheres of transformation

Postby glam_daddy » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:37 pm

Anyone know about this piece and why it never got running? Or is it just another thing i missed? I spoke to the people making it early on ... saturday I think when the speheres were on the ground and they said they would rotate in seperate directions and at night LED lights would fire off in sequence as it spun creating a moving dancing orb of changing lights. Sounds fantastic but I never saw it lit up. Anyone know why? Photo of the piece below (it was right at 6 o clock and was the entrance to center camp....)

photo
http://images.burningman.com/gallery/bo ... .13607.jpg
glam_daddy

Postby ramen » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:08 pm

I saw it running on Friday night and it was extremely cool. Green laser light shooting beneath the gimbaled gyroscope spinning overhead. I can't say I saw any LED's on it, but the strange physicality of the contraption was something out of a sci-fi fantasy.

Made my trip worthwhile the 15 minutes I spent craning my neck looking up at it.
ramen

Postby glam_daddy » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:25 am

Yeah I saw it spinning too. I was really looking for to seeing the blinky lights. gotta love blinking lights. Spinning...

good times.

Maybe next year.
glam_daddy

Postby Jefferson Starship » Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:05 pm

They put on quite a show with fire dancers at the Spheres Saturday night after the burn. That show was much more fulfilling than the Burn for me this year. Their grand finale consisted of a man set on fire running underneath a fire-breathing stilter spider mantis thing, into the box, fires out, everyone on the edge of their seat (if they were on bikes, I guess). After several minutes of gaping silence, the Gyroscope started up and the REAL Burning Man emerged from the box, alive and well. Made my wish come true to see a "Real Burning Man" after five years of no luck in that department. The beautiful hot air balloon that kept appearing and disappearing in the night sky nearby was a nice distraction during that show, too. The Spheres show will stick with me like my very first burn, beyond belief. Thank you to the folks who built it and put on the show!
Jefferson Starship

Postby glam_daddy » Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:20 am

i finally found a web page on the spheres project and from the proposal there it is clear that it never got running the way they intended. here is a photo of theyre prototype that has the lights working.

http://www.bluehouse.org/spheres/images/pic4.jpg

glam_daddy

Return to Experiences at Burning Man