I am confused about my RV and what happens when we arrive!!

I am confused about my RV and what happens when we arrive!!

Postby truthfreesyou » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:46 am

Hi guys! Please help me here. I am confused.

I will be at my first BM this year with three of my friends. We are a band, and just purchased an RV, which is in Utah. So we planned the pickup of the RV in UTAH to coincide with BM, and we are coming there with an RV (somehow we will decorate it on the way....)

Here is my question: We are not planning to join a camp. What the hell do we do with our RV once we get there? Does someone show us where to park it so we can wander around by foot and then come back to the RV to "regroup"? Since we aren't in a camp, will we have to put the RV miles away from everyone else in a far-off, remote place?

We are totally relaxed and chill, so this isn't a huge issue, but we just wanted to get an idea of what will happen the first day when we pull up in our RV and are not in a camp and therefore with no specific place to park and make our camp?

Thanks,
Mitch
Lech Lecha..... Leave from your village.
truthfreesyou

Postby Sensei » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:49 am

Where you park is your camp. There are reserved areas - which should be clearly marked as such - and the rest is first come, first served. It's easy and you'll see when you get there. Drive safe.
Sensei

good luck

Postby joel the ornery » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:56 am

joel the ornery

Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares
Burning Since: 1998

Re: I am confused about my RV and what happens when we arriv

Postby ZaphodBurner » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:57 am

truthfreesyou wrote:Here is my question: We are not planning to join a camp. What the hell do we do with our RV once we get there? Does someone show us where to park it so we can wander around by foot and then come back to the RV to "regroup"?

Park your RV somewhere that suits you (the greeters will advise you if there's more current information or they have the inside skinny-dip on a good place to park), and, before you deploy your camp hop out and take a walk around. Introduce yourself to your neighbors, etc.

When the rush of awe subsides and you've looked around a little, you'll be able to decide whether you've landed in a good spot or you should move. Then, deploy your camp and have a great burn!

-gatt
Zaphod
http://www.zaphodburns2005.org
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby HughMungus » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:04 am

truthfreesyou wrote:We are a band, and just purchased an RV, which is in Utah. So we planned the pickup of the RV in UTAH to coincide with BM, and we are coming there with an RV (somehow we will decorate it on the way....)

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but, I recently bought an RV sight-unseen and I regret it (it's sitting in storage and now i'm looking at travel trailers). Are you absolutely sure the RV will get you there and back? Are you sure everything works (water pump, propane, toilet, shower, generator, AC)? Are you sure there's enough tread on the tires? Are you sure you'll be able to get the title and insurance handled in time?
HughMungus

Postby AntiM » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:15 pm

We got burned on purchasing a cabover camper from a supposedly friendly coworker. Bastard hid the dry rot and spring trouble, we never did get it up to camping standards and we'd checked the puppy over. Parked behind other vehicles and he "couldn't" get the other stuff moved to let us test drive it, but we were "friends" so there was no need, we could trust him. Bastard I say. Partly our fault, but larry and I actually thought this guy was on the level.

The upside was after we donated it to charity we discovered all the carpenter ants in the neighborhood had moved into it and were taken away. Cheaper than an exterminator, so that worked out.

I too am bitter and suspicious about used Rvs. Hope you're buying from a reputable source and best of luck.

Acquire bikes too, Utah thrift stores have tons for $20 ~ $50.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby HughMungus » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:40 pm

AntiM wrote:We got burned on purchasing a cabover camper from a supposedly friendly coworker. Bastard hid the dry rot and spring trouble, we never did get it up to camping standards and we'd checked the puppy over. Parked behind other vehicles and he "couldn't" get the other stuff moved to let us test drive it, but we were "friends" so there was no need, we could trust him. Bastard I say. Partly our fault, but larry and I actually thought this guy was on the level.

The upside was after we donated it to charity we discovered all the carpenter ants in the neighborhood had moved into it and were taken away. Cheaper than an exterminator, so that worked out.

I too am bitter and suspicious about used Rvs. Hope you're buying from a reputable source and best of luck.

Acquire bikes too, Utah thrift stores have tons for $20 ~ $50.

Yeah, check this out:

1. Decided to get an RV instead of renting this year. Figured I would save $ over the long run.

2. Bought a used Class A RV without looking at it first for $3,500. Found out it runs and drives but simply is not reliable enough for a 3600 mile round trip. It's in storage now at $150/mo. The upside is that I'll probably be able to sell it as a "hunter's special" after Burning Man (and before hunting season starts).

3. Decided that since I have a Tahoe that I should buy a travel trailer. Found one I want 3 weeks ago, put down a $500 deposit over the phone and waited until this week for the guy to get the title cleared. He hasn't. So now I'm going to nix that deal because I don't have time to get the trailer and check it out and fix whatever needs to be fixed. Also, I realized that while I'd be saving $ vs. a rental, I'd be costing myself $900/year just to store it and I'd have to buy an $1800 generator just for enough power for the AC (AC being something I promised my virgins in case they need it).

4. Now we've decided to just rent an RV again. Way more reliable, much less to worry about, and way more space for everyone.

Whee!
HughMungus

Postby jbelson » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:05 pm

While were on horror stories. I had a 25' class A for a year and a half. It was my dream. had it checked out by a dealer, had the genny tuned and appliances serviced. Took 1 trip that was great. took a 2nd and the engine blew 60 miles from the nearest town, that only had 1 mechanic. Had the engine rebuilt out of state (thats where it broke down), it took them 3 weeks longer than what they said. Picked it up, drove it home and found a huge oil leak. On the drive, the rooftop storage container blew off on the freeway. The dashboard started coming loose, they obviously did something while installing the new engine, and I had to drive with my foot on it pressing it forward. It stalled out at the gas station for 2 hours and nobody would give me a jump. Finally got it home and while it was parked in front of the house, someone slashed 2 tires. Now to get a tire off, I had to call AAA and they had to bring out the industrial tow truck to lift it up. The tires alone were $120 before mounting and all the other crap they tack on.
I'm gonna say that the whole thing cost $14,000 for 2 trips. So if you think you're gonna save money in the long run over renting, think again.
Oh yeah, watch for vapor lock too. Make sure you have 2 fuel pumps. It'll save some aggrivation.
"I gotta have more cowbell"
Bruce dickenson, legendary rock producer
jbelson

Postby drakewayson » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:27 pm

Hey, on the bright side....

We're first timers too. By the time we got accepted by the Kamp we wanted to join and started making plans, every medium sized RV within 500 miles was reserved. So we booked one out of Vegas (36 footer!!!). Our Kamp has graciously said "ok, whatever"....

In my research I have found that there are services offered!!! They will come take away your "Bad" water and recharge your "Good" if you make arrangements at their office and pay a premium. This made us feel very good....if only they could recharge our fuel and propane!!

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... l/rvs.html
I look just like Teddy Roosevelt except I'm taller, heavier, have no moustache and am much younger. Bully!
drakewayson

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:55 pm

truthfreesyou wrote:Hi guys! Please help me here. I am confused.

It wasn't really covered by the other posts, but make sure you read the survival guide section on RV's through- http://www.burningman.com/preparation/event_survival/rvs.html
There are no services for RV's out there- no electricity, no grey-water dumping, nothing. JOTS can be hired to empty your grey-water, but from what I've read in other threads they aren't neccesarily the most reliable for this as they are also trying to empty hundreds of porta-poopers.

I'm in an RV every year, and I love it (bed.......ummmmmmmmmmm), just be aware of the limitations. And use the porta-poopers. Really. Four or five days of stuff stewing in your tank can smell real bad.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby drakewayson » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:36 am

Eric wrote:It wasn't really covered by the other posts, but make sure you read the survival guide section on RV's through- http://www.burningman.com/preparation/event_survival/rvs.html
There are no services for RV's out there- no electricity, no grey-water dumping, nothing. JOTS can be hired to empty your grey-water, but from what I've read in other threads they aren't neccesarily the most reliable for this as they are also trying to empty hundreds of porta-poopers.

Eric-yes, that's the reference I put down as well. The URL indicates that they not only will empty grey and black water but also offer fresh water recharge...presuming you reserve the service with them.

Do you think that info is unreliable?

Thanks from a newbie!!
I look just like Teddy Roosevelt except I'm taller, heavier, have no moustache and am much younger. Bully!
drakewayson

Postby Eric » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:35 am

[quote="drakewaysonDo you think that info is unreliable?

Thanks from a newbie!![/quote]

They will try- and they will only charge you for what they can do. But remember- cleaning the Porta-poops is their main concern, so if they get behind in that the R sevicing is going to suffer. We at Piss Clear act as if it isn't going to happen, and use the Porta-Poops and outdoor showers. Self-reliance crap and all.......

Damn. I shouldn't answer questions when I'm all boozed up and there's a cute goth boy in my lap.......
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Stilesfamily » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:50 am

drakewayson wrote:
Do you think that info is unreliable?

Absolutely
100% unreliable,
DO NOT COUNT ON JOTS.

On our 1st burn in 2003, though I reserved service, I spent and entire day chasing them down and in the end they charged me $20 bucks more than I was quoted on the BM website. What was I going to do say “go screw yourself” when all our holding tanks were full? So I smiled and handed over the cash. I “herd” that last year they were forbidden from refreshing potable water by the BMOrg, not sure how true this is but would hate to imagine you running out of water half way through the week.

The thing with JOTS is why that they are constantly harassed by people to pump out there RV’s with cash being flashed in there face. Why would they want to drive back and forth across the event, hunting everyone down when they can make 4 times as much by just pumping out in the order that people come up to them. Even if you gave them great directions it is hard to track people down. Even if you pay at the time you set up an appointment I would be SHOKED if they actually showed. I have NEVER herd anyone say they could get JOTS out to pump them out at the event, I have only herd the opposite. Last year, by only using the RV toilet at night and trying not to create any grey water, we were able to make it through the week on our tiny holding tanks.

Did I mention DONT COUNT ON JOTS
E Tu Brute?
Stilesfamily

Postby Stilesfamily » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:08 am

drakewayson wrote:
In my research I have found that there are services offered!!! They will come take away your "Bad" water and recharge your "Good" if you make arrangements at their office and pay a premium. This made us feel very good....if only they could recharge our fuel and propane!!
[/b][/color]

If you’re referring to Johnny on the spot, JOTS, see above post. If you think that there is any other service that would drive all the way out to service you in any way I could not imagine that happening, I doubt the gate would just let them pass through and it would be a 2 hour drive one way even if they had someone stationed in Reno. Don’t mean to sound jaded but I learned real quick after my 1st burn this event is not really designed for anyone who is not totally self reliant. So just don’t be under the impression that you will be coming back after a long hot day on the Playa and taking a nice long shower, relying totally on the potable water in the RV for drinking, only using your RV bathroom and being able to make it through the entire event. You will be in for a rood awakening.

Pottie issues aside, Burning Man can be the experience of a lifetime. Despite our pump out problem our first burn was one of the most amazing experiences my wife and I have ever had. And we have traveled quite a bit.
E Tu Brute?
Stilesfamily

Postby ibdave » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:36 am

Leave JOTS alone........

In 7 years of bring a Large R.V. with Large tanks I never had a issue with getting JOTS to our space.. Last years we worked really hard to not fill the tanks and skip having JOTS pump us out..We were able to make all the way home and dump for free. They charge alot, but so what.The men and a few ladies that do the THANKLESS job a great people. By the way, Thats 9 days with 5 people.
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Peacekeeper » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:30 pm

hey there....

On the grey and black water pumping issue. Last year i worked at RV Servieces, a desk at playa info where RV people could come and sign up for pumping. Let me tell you now: It did not work AT ALL!!! By tuesday, JOTS were only halfway through the people who had signed up on monday, by thursday they hadnt even started tuesdays list, and were no longer even picking up the list, and by friday, disgruntled RV types were contending with overflowing tanks, bad smells, and biohazards agogo.

There is a simple answer. Shit in the portapotties. Dont fill your tanks with unnecessary shower water. And READ YOUR TICKET!!!! you must bring everything you need to be radically self reliant on the playa!!! And most of all, get your tanks pumped in reno as you head out to the playa. Last year we had people who came to the playa with nearly full tanks, assuming they could get them pumped when they got there, then spending the whole week in smelly misery and mental annoyance, so dont let yourself get that way.

In short, burning man is not disneyland, its hardcore survival in the desert, so plan accordingly. If YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE enough to rent an RV, you are no longer a little girlie, so take care of YOURSELF. Cos nothing will piss your neighbours off more than the sight and smell of YOUR excrement seeping onto the pristine desert floor.

Goddammit!!!

Message ends... :evil:
Peacekeeper

Postby Bitterman » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:39 pm

AntiM wrote:I too am bitter and suspicious

Amen Sistah! Here I thought I was the only Bitterman. :D
Bah! Psshhh!
Bitterman

Postby Bitterman » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:48 pm

Peacekeepers wrote:In short, burning man is not disneyland, its hardcore survival in the desert, so plan accordingly. If YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE enough to rent an RV, you are no longer a little girlie, so take care of YOURSELF. Cos nothing will piss your neighbours off more than the sight and smell of YOUR excrement seeping onto the pristine desert floor.

Goddammit!!!

Message ends... :evil:

"YESS! YESS! I feel your hatred swelling...take your Jedi weapon and STRIKE me down with it!"

Thank you Peace! I used to try and talk people into going to Burning Man back when I was a poncy little school boy with one burn under my belt. Now if anyone asks I tell 'em it aint for them. It's hard core survival camping. It requires the SKILLS of the Personal-Responsibilitarian, not the phat amerikan thinking of, "someone else will take care of it for me. Fuck that, I paid my money, I don't have to clean up."
Bah! Psshhh!
Bitterman

Return to 2005 Theme Camps