Slipping away, bit by bit

All things outside of Burning Man.

Slipping away, bit by bit

Postby TestesInSac » Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:51 pm

I'm seeing something happening here that I think is sad, and sadder still that it isn't getting recognized by the senior staff.

Folks are slipping away here, folks that have been around since long before me.

Reason is slipping away here, and being replaced by radical, X-files-esque, conspiracy theory mongering.

The higher level of discourse that existed prior to the 2003 burn is slipping away, and being replaced by Yahoo!-like chat room blather and personal attacks.

The heterogeneity that existed here is similarly slipping away.

I don't expect any response in this topic. I may lurk for a while hoping to see some change. I am no longer interested in lowering myself to the lowest common denominator of trolls, fear-mongerers, sloppy thinking and personal attacks.

You may delete my account.
I am my own sock puppet.
TestesInSac

Postby III » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:03 pm

hmph.

it's different. for some of us, it's less of what we want than the old one used to be. for some, it's more. it'll be different. community, in some sense or another, will still be there.

i can see that losing a few of the oldtimers in favor of gaining a larger number of new blood could be preferable to organizers. and, based on the burning man model, it may even be sustainable for a couple of years.

we'll see.
III

Postby Lydia Love » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:12 pm

i can see that losing a few of the oldtimers in favor of gaining a larger number of new blood could be preferable to organizers.

I can see it and I can still think it fucking sucks... but that's my highly personal emotional response.
It's all about the squirrels.
Lydia Love

"You're Talking a Lot, But You're Not Saying Anything..

Postby Badger » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:13 pm

Yeah, well I think it sucks.

I'll probably take this to PM. The whole 'Yahoo-chat room' thing is starting to chafe - especially with some of the more frequent posters who (it would seem) think we need (or want) to know every fucking bit of detail about their day or feel compelled to respond to damn near every reply with the compulsion of an Ahab while not really saying anything.

Just call me Boomer.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Lydia Love » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:19 pm

fucking bit of detail about their day or feel compelled to respond to damn near every reply with the compulsion of an Ahab while not really saying anything.

eeek. that strikes a bit close to home...
Lydia Love

Postby RebA! » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:21 pm

Add me to the unhappy list. Except for 1 or 2 threads I have given up on the rest of the eplaya. There just isnt any point in it for me anymore.

Such a shame really.
"My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpets or ruin our lives."
--Rita Rudner
RebA!

Postby III » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:22 pm

nah, he was talkin about pj.

or me. or something...
III

Postby Lydia Love » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:31 pm

not really worried - just noticing that I have been on a lot and not necessarily contributed much more than the average fuckwittedness. I feel like I've had a few geniune conversations...

really - it can go days with all Wheee! and no meat. Or if there is meat you can't find it...
Lydia Love

Postby antron » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:34 pm

most of the problems noted could be solved by implementing a mod found on the phpbb website.

this mod changes the user control panel to create buddy and ignore lists (at the user level)

there are other mods to prohibit flooding.

this could be a pretty spiffy online neighborhood, with just a couple changes.
Last edited by antron on Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
antron

Postby Badger » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:36 pm

nah, he was talkin about pj.

or me. or something...

Nope.

Neither.

I believe you both post when you have something to say or especially in PJs case, you can toss in a humor bomb or two. that leaves me wet from laughing.

I'll just leave it at that lest I be accused of whining because the direction of this board isn't going MY way.

Which it should of course.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Kinetic » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:37 pm

No he was talking about me.

I'm guilty of TMI, and of being the 3rd or 4th highest poster on here...

And I thought I was adding to some of the discussions...my 600+ posts usually run long because they generate a reaction. I post, and the feedback has been invaluable in shaping my opinions on things. And I've got an almost full inbox and 90% of it are compliments from newbies that I have helped. That's not trying to brag, but my post count is because I genuinely want to help, and sometimes I ask for a little bit back in the form of advice, which from this group is excellent.

So Badger and anyone else, (I've already apologized to Ivy so she doesn't count), if I pissed you off or drove you crazy with my posts, I'll apologize now.

If I'm wrong and just having a guilt trip, tell me so. Badger, I PM'd you...if I'm who your referring to, PM back or post it here, but I refuse to be the cause of your stress.

(Edited thanks to Precip's feedback.)
Last edited by Kinetic on Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kinetic

Postby Badger » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:42 pm

I refuse to be the cause of your stress.

I have no stress.

Partly because I pretty much say what's on my mind. Usually directly, sometimes less so. But I say it. Most people hear it. Or they don't.

We have some pretty smart cookies here though.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Kinetic » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:48 pm

I'm curious...am I the one your referring to? I'd like to know!
Kinetic

Postby precipitate » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:50 pm

> If I'm wrong and just having a guilt trip, tell me so. Otherwise, I'll just
> find something else to do and forget all about the e-playa.

3. I'll take it to heart and take at least 60 seconds to review each post, and
if I still think it adds value I will click submit, and fuck anyone who doesn't
like it. [not literally, dear]

The I'm-taking-my-toys-and-going-home reaction is unwarranted. I think
the criticism is well-intentioned. And I don't think you would have gotten
a PM if Badger thought you were a complete idiot.

Personally, I really don't like this new format. I find it difficult to use and
slow. I had less than 200 messages new this morning, and I've maybe
gotten through half of those. It's just a pain in the ass.

Plus some of the people I found most interesting aren't around, and many
(though not all) of the newer additions just aren't piquing my curiosity
much.
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Postby clandyone » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:55 pm

I think that there is hope, actually. There are some quality discussions going on here, and some promising new blood.

I am a little dismayed by the conspiracy-mongering, although it's largely a result of the recent troll influx. I'm also pretty impressed with how well people are doing in NOT responding to the trolls, with very few exceptions.

I think if we stick it out, it'll be okay. But I'm an optimist.

Oh yeah.. apologies for the TMI blathering I've engaged in, too. I'll cut it out.
Won't somebody please think of the children?!
clandyone

Postby Hana Hou » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:01 pm

We have some pretty smart cookies here though.

Then why aren't you getting it?

"you" monopolize it, then say you don't like it.. Geeez, just like spoiled kids on Christmas - is that ALL the presents?

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of the solution..
Darwin was right.
Hana Hou

Postby madmatt » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:01 pm

"We have some pretty smart cookies here though."

If this bbs had smart cookies, then it would be impossible for a small group of regular users to drift every thread into an endless discussion on the smell of their farts and the color of their snot. <<<See thread on eplaya being a club for 5>>> PS - after some substantial input, it reverted back to "I was born without an ass." on the fourth page. (I'm not mourning the death of my spawn thread, just find it particularly ironic.)

I really enjoy finding someone's thread that actually asks or states something, and is followed by real input, often extremely humorous and/or moving. And these are most frequently posted/contributed by the sporadic/one time posters. All you "old timers" who are griping about how it's changed and bla bla bla you're sick of it, try standing back and letting others put some new use to the forum, or try putting in some substantial input once in a while.

PS - You actually have something to say in your posts, it makes it more funny and a comic relief when you then revert back to talking about your ass and masturbating.
madmatt

Postby Kinetic » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:01 pm

It wasn't a take your toys and go home approach, it's one of finding another forum for my opinions and such. I spend too much time on here anyway but the people make it so interesting it's hard to resist.

And I PM'd him...but he's working so he hasn't wrote back. I'm trying to get back to adding constructive comments, and maybe tempering the downright vicious personal attacks that are on the rise around here. Those are what really pisses me off. It's ok to disagree but the personal attacks are just out of place here. This is the BM BBS, and the spirit of the event should live on here a little, imho.
Kinetic

Postby madmatt » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:05 pm

"TMI blathering - "
What is TMI?
madmatt

Postby Lydia Love » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:11 pm

Then why aren't you getting it?

"you" monopolize it, then say you don't like it.. Geeez, just like spoiled kids on Christmas - is that ALL the presents?

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of the solution..

I am left breathless by how much you have been a part of that solution.

after some substantial input, it reverted back to "I was born without an ass." on the fourth page.

So how much attention does one subject deserve? It seems like if people really give a shit about topic there's drift but then it drifts back. But that particular topic? One trick pony. You comment and then... what else is there to discuss? Oh... but if someone DID have something to say they could. Threads can be yanked back on topic - if anyone gives enough of a flying fuck to do so.
Lydia Love

Postby PJ » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:11 pm

I'll confess to scrolling past many TMI tales--even when they're from people I like.

I've never read a blog either. Not interesting.
PJ

Postby Blenderhead » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:12 pm

TMI: "too much information."

I think.
Blenderhead

Postby madmatt » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:15 pm

Re blenderhead:
Oooooh, ISHKT (I should've known that). Thanks.
madmatt

Postby Hana Hou » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:35 pm

Thanks for making my point, Lydia.

am left breathless by how much you have been a part of that solution.

Actually, after Badger declared that peeing on the playa was what he was going to do forever, and 1/2 of the "golden people" here agreed, I've kept a lower profile on trying to help.

On the other hand, just shutting the fuck up when a topic has run its course wouldn't hurt to try, now would it?
Darwin was right.
Hana Hou

Postby III » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:39 pm

there are quite a few useful and on topic discussions around here. the problem is finding them, and ignoring those that aren't to your taste. (this is something the old eplaya allowed you to do rather easily, and part of what us old timers miss, and part of what we suspect contributes to the pollution of more threads here).

not all topics that you think are important will actually strike a chord with other members of the commmunity - i have a whole graveyard full of intended community oriented threads that either got quickly waylaid or died a lonesome death. but every once in a while, something will come up that people care about, and it'll take off, and some of them will change their minds or learn something new.

the downside to that is that you can't have serious discussions all the time. you need time to get to know the people you're interacing with, time to recharge and reconnect after potential divides, time to get comfortable with each others idiosyncracies and rough edges. trying to eradicate that undermines the everything else you do want to achieve.
III

Postby blyslv » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:39 pm

Lydia Love wrote:really - it can go days with all Wheee! and no meat. Or if there is meat you can't find it...

But I often felt that way about the old eplaya. One thing abut thisnew format is it seems to foster one-to-one communications more effectively.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby blyslv » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:43 pm

clandyone wrote:I think that there is hope, actually. There are some quality discussions going on here, and some promising new blood.

They are still too difficult to find after wading through substantial dross, but I agree clandyone. And BTW, your essay on why fundies are BAD was awesome. Writing like that is why I come back to this little sandbox.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby Lydia Love » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:44 pm

just shutting the fuck up when a topic has run its course wouldn't hurt to try, now would it?

Well, honestly I haven't tried - I do pretty much comment on whatever seems interesting, tickles my funny bone etc.

But I also don't really give a fuck that your offended in some way by that. To "monopolize" I'd have to be shutting other people up and I don't see how I'm doing that, personally. If you've been holding yourself back because you disagreed with someone's opinion thats not my freakin problem.
Lydia Love

Postby Kinetic » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:54 pm

Lydia Love wrote:Well, honestly I haven't tried - I do pretty much comment on whatever seems interesting, tickles my funny bone etc.

I thought the e-playa was created just for this....and I do the same thing. I just like the newbie threads because I want to inspire more people to come and experience BM.

For a system approaching it's first 30 days of use, it's actually worked well. And these discussions are going to make it a stronger forum for the event. In short it seems to be working just like the ORG hoped. It has drawn in new blood, and while some of us miss the old e-playa, change is good.

(And yeah, I dogged it too when I first came home and saw the changes)
Kinetic

Postby Lydia Love » Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:57 pm

But I often felt that way about the old eplaya. One thing abut thisnew format is it seems to foster one-to-one communications more effectively.

Well... ya the whee to meat ratio is probably *similar*... there's just a lot more of everything around here... which isn't a bad thing in itself. As far as the one-on-one communication... I'll have to think about that. I have had some lovely private message exchanges... I've certainly had some nice moments with *you*

Really - seems like the ability to mechanically ignore those people and threads that get up your nose would help quite a bit. That way Hana Hou could igore those "golden children" that seem to so affront his sense of ... something or other... and I could block out the people on my personal fuckwit list. And anyone who finds it *all* stimulating could leave it wide open...
Lydia Love

Next

Return to Open Discussion