San Francisco area bad RV Rental Exp(Family RV - San Jose)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

San Francisco area bad RV Rental Exp(Family RV - San Jose)

Postby dopeit » Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:50 am

Anyone having issues with rental companies esp Family RV - San Jose

:evil:

My head is on fire.[/b]
dopeit

Postby Hana Hou » Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:04 pm

You mean things like, they were pissed because the RV came back full of playa dust and they think someone needs to pay to clean it?
Darwin was right.
Hana Hou

Postby dopeit » Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:35 pm

No, I mean it came back cleaner than when I drove it off their property and have signed check out statements from them showing it needed no additional cleaning etc. They decided to the day of pickup inform us it would be an additional $2000 dollar deposit because we were going to BM. How nice, after I had already put $500 down. Still have not received my deposit back! There's more but I don't feel like continuing. It's to draining! They are just sneaky assholes.

Fear the burners their evil! Burn em at the stake!

uuuugggggghhhhhhh!

Head implossion!
dopeit

Postby Hana Hou » Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:45 pm

Sue them in Small Claims... 'Tis easy. It's not nice to mess with people who know how to take care of things.
Darwin was right.
Hana Hou

Postby papabear » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:19 pm

if you have the original contract that you signed, thats all you need. If it says something about an extra cleaning fee, then you are screwed. El Monte RV tried the same thing on me and all I did was point out... in their "own" contract that there was no provission for that, I then warned them with a potential call from my attorney and they started to act professionaly.

Don't be pushed around. Most companies will try to get more out of a rental (it's just what they do). A contact is just that. Shit you think those good 'ol boys that rent an RV for Bike week bring it back as clean as we do... Hell no. Good luck and remember to never rent from them again. I won't.
papabear

dj big E says

Postby dj big E » Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:22 pm

rent from sahara rv in las vegas we rent one evryyear from them guys and never clean it .and i mean dirty we pay 100.00 up front they clean what a fucking deal every year theyre is a little damage lmao .This years damage a little metalic green paint front seat lmao awning anchors ripped out from sundays wind storm lmao a little bumper scrapage overloaded lmao.anyways these guys no we're were going and what we are doing we buy all the insurance u know just in case a stray art car barrels into it or somecrazy shit this is bm u know lmao. dj big "E"
dj big E

Postby jbelson » Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:32 pm

Mistake #1, telling them where your going.
"I gotta have more cowbell"
Bruce dickenson, legendary rock producer
jbelson

Postby papabear » Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:26 pm

OK, i am not one to start a thread drift .... but i must disagree.... TAKE THE RED PILL. TAKE THE RED PILL MAN...

good luck next year with a new RV. shit. i almost want to see my house and just by a big ass RV and move around. If only i can convince my wife.
papabear

Family RV

Postby Jefe » Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:09 pm

Yup, I rented a trailer from them this year and had the same thing. My wife made the reservation and was told there would be $500 deposit, but when I showed up to pick it up (after coming in a couple of days before to have my truck Ok'd as the towing vehicle) then they hit me for the $2000 deposit.

I went a little ballistic myself as I have heard other stories about Burners getting screwed by rental companies. I was in a tough spot as I was picking it up the morning of leaving, and had a lot of stuff for my camp to load into it.

So I bitched. I had a long conversation with them. Basically, the extra deposit was from the service department, and they agreed it was crappy of the sales department (that takes the reservations) to not inform people up front. The reason for it is was the craptacular way that previous Burners have treated their stuff, bringing it back not just a little dusty, but seriously trashed. One guy was nice enough to leave his trash and mud encrusted bicycles in the RV one year. They did clearly write up and communicate how they expected the trailer to come back and I spent the time to talk with them about it.

As a result, my wife and I did a couple of things. We pulled out the supplied sheets and comfortor and used our own. We covered all the other fabric surfaces with old sheets, put down an old carpet inside the door and big piece of astroturf outside. We also were very good about closing windows and vents when the dust picked up.

Even with this, we still spent 8 hours cleaning the thing inside and out when we got back. We reserved an extra day just to make sure we would have time. And when I brought it back, I made sure the service manager knew I was a Burner and that it came back cleaner than when it left. I even showed them some things that broke during normal usage, and they did not try to charge me for them. They signed it off immediately and refunded my deposit promptly. No problem. She thanked me for working with them and was interested in my feedback to improve the process next year.

But another guy was looking at 15 hours times $75 per hour for how he brought his back. But hey, they made it clear what the deal was when I picked it up, so I really don't feel bad for him. If you don't think our community is capable of such behaviour, I guess you didn't see all the bags of obviously Burning Man trash overflowing the rest stop dumpsters along 80, or all the trash strewn along 447 from people who convinced themselves that one bungie on a glad bag was sufficient at 70mph.

The RV places really only have 2 ethical choices to deal with us. Either refuse to rent, or communicate their expectations and charge a deposit up front. That is much better then them hauling your ass into small claims after you bring back a trashed trailer.

- Jefe
Jefe

Postby THE ORIGINAL DIGIMAN » Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:25 pm

dopeit wrote:No, I mean it came back cleaner than when I drove it off their property and have signed check out statements from them showing it needed no additional cleaning etc. They decided to the day of pickup inform us it would be an additional $2000 dollar deposit because we were going to BM. How nice, after I had already put $500 down. Still have not received my deposit back! There's more but I don't feel like continuing. It's to draining! They are just sneaky assholes.

Fear the burners their evil! Burn em at the stake!

uuuugggggghhhhhhh!

Head implossion!

wow thanks for the heads up. i was gonna do that for next year but nevermind...hey anybody got any suggestions for other than RV?
THE ORIGINAL DIGIMAN

Postby Chai Guy » Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:29 pm

RV"s suck, just read the posts above, they are incredibly expensive (from the rental costs, to the gas to the effort involved in cleaning them).

Why not try this?

1. Rent a big box van.

2. Load it up with garage sale and "FREE" curb side finds including, a couch, bed, chairs, lamps, a fridge etc. OR if you're looking to gid rid of your current stuff, just use that.

3. Find some means of power (quiet generator/solar/wind/deep cycle marine battery) - String up some lights inside the box van.

4. Drive out to the playa and have a blast in your "living room"

5. Return home have garage sale or donate your stuff to local thrift shop

5. Hose out back of big box van and return.

The cost of the big box van and renting a quiet generator is still less than 1/2 the cost of the RV and possibly cheaper on gas (depending on the size of your RV vs. the size of the Van, etc. )

We leased a big box truck one year for two weeks for about 1/2 what it would have cost to rent it from Y'all Haul for one week. Check out the small independent leasing and rental companies too!
Chai Guy

Postby Chai Guy » Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:31 pm

RV"s suck, just read the posts above, they are incredibly expensive (from the rental costs, to the gas to the effort involved in cleaning them).

Why not try this?

1. Rent a big box van.

2. Load it up with garage sale and "FREE" curb side finds including, a couch, bed, chairs, lamps, a fridge etc. OR if you're looking to gid rid of your current stuff, just use that.

3. Find some means of power (quiet generator/solar/wind/deep cycle marine battery) - String up some lights inside the box van.

4. Drive out to the playa and have a blast in your "living room"

5. Return home have garage sale or donate your stuff to local thrift shop

5. Hose out back of big box van and return.

The cost of the big box van and renting a quiet generator is still less than 1/2 the cost of the RV and possibly cheaper on gas (depending on the size of your RV vs. the size of the Van, etc. )

We leased a big box truck one year for two weeks for about 1/2 what it would have cost to rent it from Y'all Haul for one week. Check out the small independent leasing and rental companies too!
Chai Guy

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks