Antibiotics Camp

Postby joel the ornery » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:58 am

Kinetic IV wrote:Just curious...am I the only one that hates mayo on here? Even if it's on a sandwich and I didn't know about it, the taste of it makes me gag. I can't explain why it just does. BLEECH!!!!! The best place for mayo IMHO is in a trash can.

i must concur, i don't like mayo on my sandwiches with the one exception... Bacon, Lettuse Tomato... one of the world's greatest sandwiches when made with ingredients you grow yourself.

ok, thread drift. go have a BLT.
joel the ornery

Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares
Burning Since: 1998

Postby unjonharley » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:07 am

Kinetic IV wrote:Just curious...am I the only one that hates mayo on here? Even if it's on a sandwich and I didn't know about it, the taste of it makes me gag. I can't explain why it just does. BLEECH!!!!! The best place for mayo IMHO is in a trash can.

~
Ya gotta amen! here brother.
/Running to catch the last basket of the day
unjonharley

Postby robotland » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:14 am

My wife dislikes that I refer to mayo as "sandwich lube".....I generally don't care for it, but on a BLT it helps to reduce the palate-rasp from the toast on the roof of your mouth. (Yes, the bread must be toasted.) It also serves well as a medium in chicken salad or, in an emergency, tuna salad. (Add horseradish sauce to both, please. And keep that goddamn CELERY to yerself!!)
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby robotland » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:15 am

I neglected to mention that Kalamazoo is still sometimes referred to as "The Celery City".
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby AntiM » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:20 am

I rarely use mayo myself, but a fresh homemade mayonaisse with flavored oil or just the right hrebs, very tatsy and too good for sandwiches. Cheeseburgers with mayo are a crime against nature. Our local burger franchise uses "white sauce" which is even fouler than "sandwich dressing." Puke.

Mustard, that's the ticket. I use mustard in everything. Almost.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby unjonharley » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:27 am

AntiM wrote:I rarely use mayo myself, but a fresh homemade mayonaisse with flavored oil or just the right hrebs, very tatsy and too good for sandwiches. Cheeseburgers with mayo are a crime against nature. Our local burger franchise uses "white sauce" which is even fouler than "sandwich dressing." Puke.

Mustard, that's the ticket. I use mustard in everything. Almost.

~
I don't use the plastic butter replacement eather. Put a cube of in in the laundry room or a year. The bugs wont eat it and it wont rot. Just sits there. I tryed it about ten years ago and have not used it again. Wounder what the total shelf half life it has. USDA approved. Butter cost to much and is loaded with salt. So it's dry for me.
unjonharley

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:23 am

Just because I talk about mayo doesn't mean I'll eat it.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Janka » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:40 am

Mayo has to have spices in it to be really good. Herbs work nice. Garlic too. Mix mayo with creme fraiche (or better yet, kermaviili if you live where you can get it, but I am not certain if readers here do, since my dictionary does not admit it exists) half and half, add as much garlic as you can bear, makes a very nice sauce for steaks.
"The great way is low and plain,
but people like shortcuts over the mountains."

http://www.iki.fi/janka/log/
Janka

Postby AntiM » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:36 am

Wasabi mayonaisse is an entirely different condiment. Yum.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Kinetic IV » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:52 am

I don't use the plastic butter replacement eather.

For several years I lived on a dairy farm and along with fresh milk we had all sorts of dairy products including fresh butter. After you've been exposed to the homemade stuff anything in the butter section of the supermarket tastes like crap.

I'm not big on most condiments. I guess I'm strange but I can't see the ketchup with eggs thing and stuff like that too. It turns me off to see it.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

transport insured?

Postby alarix » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:37 am

[quote="Isotopia"][quote]They simply wont be enlighted to this subject until they slip and fall off an art car at midnight, suffer a compound leg fracture, and lie there screaming into the night for help. [/quote]

Each of which would (or could) constitute an emergency in which case a quick response by EMS, Rangers or REMSA is guaranteed, competent treatement a given and further evaluation AND transportation to a medical hospital(if necessary) is insured.
[/quote]

I simply want to say that in my first (and so far only) time at BM 2 years ago, me and my leather pants leapt onto a moving merry-go-round crafted by some theme camp or another and covered with a green velvety material. The velvet and my leather pants were not well matched and I was promptly flung back off, breaking my foot on the landing. Youch! Not realizing it was broken, I managed to bicycle back to my camp, numb the pain with tequila, and went to sleep, thinking it would be ok in the morning. In the morning, after much hopping about, I accidentally put my full weight on it and in nearly passing out from the extreme pain, decided it was probably broken.

None of my (non-virgin) campmates were around at the time, so I one-legged it to the med area, getting a lift from a Ranger towards the end. Someone came and checked out my foot, and said, "yep it's broken. Have an ace bandage and have a nice day." Of course, that didn't make it possible for me to walk. I was hoping for some kind of splint. I asked about a cast or crutches and was told if I wanted such to get myself to the clinic in Gerlach - that I could hopalong to the bus and hop from the bus to the clinic. No one could tell me how long the one-legged hopping from bus to clinic would be though, so I was not exactly inspired to make the journey (hopping is EXHAUSTING!!!). The Ranger kindly offered to drive me, for which I am eternally grateful.

Now, on the topic of radical self-reliance... I DID bicycle myself back to camp on a broken foot. I did hop myself most of the way to the med tent the next morning (and to the portapotty and back), and around inside the RV to make breakfast.

But when it came to getting myself from BM to Gerlach, I'm afraid pain and exhaustion won out and it was probably pity that prompted the angel Ranger to give me lift. Now, I wish I could say I had got my damn self to the clinic too, but it's just not so. I was afraid of getting to Gerlach, getting off the bus, and being unable to go any farther on my one foot. In hindsight, knowing that the clinic is actually within sight of the bus stop, I COULD have done it. But I had no way of knowing that then. With MORE hindsight, most likely someone on the bus would have helped me hop to the clinic if I had just got on it and asked.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say by way of personal example as a newbie virgin Burner who broke her foot 3 days into the week, and who, by the way, returned from the clinic from crutches and finished out the week is: I think Iso is right. Prepare. Take care of yourself as best you can. Ask for help if you really need it. And if you are so injured that you cannot help yourself at all, it's time to leave the Playa.

:)

p.s. if you were around what was Rational and Evidence and saw a chick sitting in front of an RV in white angel wings, with her feet up on a cooler, handing out beers and water and eating brownies, that was me ;)
The wheel turns.
alarix

mayo brownies

Postby alarix » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:39 am

mayo and brownies do NOT mix ;)
The wheel turns.
alarix

Postby Grizelda » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:11 pm

As a bit of a side note, since the UTI example keeps coming up, I understand that it helps to drink plenty of water to help flush out any bacteria that happen to get in. How convenient it is that we're supposed to drink plenty of water anyway. It's also a good idea for women to make a point of peeing after sex. It's not foolproof, but it can help, and if you don't get the infection in the first place, you won't need to treat it.

And now for something completely different:

While I don't think it's absolutely critical to have someone dispensing antibiotics in BRC, as convenient as that might be, I think it would be nice if the folks at the gate refunded the charge for leaving the event and returning upon receipt of proof that it was for a medical emergency. I understand that it's good to keep the number of people driving in and out of the event to a minimum, but if it's an emergency, they don't have much choice. They're already probably getting stuck with a bill for the doctor, experiencing the misery of being ill or injured, and they're missing some of their Burning Man fun. Maybe we could give them a break and not charge them an extra 20 bucks for the privilege of taking care of themselves.
Grizelda

Postby Nightterror » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:25 pm

Purely as a matter of humanitarianism, I am willing to put down anybody that has been injured and does not want to travel to the clinic. My services are free and this year I will be offering a variety of techniques. Back by popular demand is clubbing. Also, you may choose overdose, asphyxiation, or suffocation. Other substitutions and services available upon request.

Check with me by the end of the week as I will be gifting handmade gloves and leg warmers.
I express my excitement by brutally interrogating whomever is nearby
Nightterror

dragging!

Postby alarix » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:40 pm

I'd prefer to be hogtied and dragged behind a horse until dead if that's not too much trouble.
The wheel turns.
alarix

reentry fee

Postby alarix » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:42 pm

They waived the return fee for me. I think the dressing and crutches convinced them ...
The wheel turns.
alarix

Postby AntiM » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:04 pm

If you need to go to the clinic on the bus, the med folk will give you a note or pass and the $5 bus fare is waived. Still need a wristband for your particular bus time and your ticket stub. And clothing. Of course, everything changes, but I'm betting this is still the same.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby ZaphodBurner » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:18 pm

Grizelda wrote:As a bit of a side note, since the UTI example keeps coming up, I understand that it helps to drink plenty of water to help flush out any bacteria that happen to get in.

Don't they have over the counter UTI drugs now? I've heard they whip the shit out of an infection, especially with massive doses of unsweetened cranberry juice.

You mayonnaise-lovin' dust-fuckers might wanna look into it in advance.

It is clearly impossible to provide rational services wrt antibiotics because often as not, antibiotics require medical testing which is not possible at BRC.

Can you imagine a doctor getting malpractice insurance for BM?
"Let's see if we have this straight: You want to open a medical tent in a desert to distribute drugs where half the people are drunk or stoned, more than half are dehydrated and sunburned, you have no access to their medical records and no way to keep your equipment sanitary...are you fuckin' HIGH?"

Maybe, as one person said, there might be doctors somewhere willing to donate their services but, guess what. So far, that doesn't seem to be the case. Ever wonder why?

There are no rock stars offering jet rides either, but that's a great idea. (If'n I'm ever a rock star with a jet, look me up.)

-gatt
ZaphodBurns!
http://www.zaphodburns2005.org
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:41 am

I hadn't mentioned the Cranberry Juice as a preventative for UTI, but it had crossed my mind. Yum, Cape Codders!

and everyone The Medical Tent Will Give You an Exit Reenter Fee Waver for a Medical Emergency Which Being Sent to Reno or Gerlach for Services Would Qualify. They should also have maps to Reno hospitals and pharmacies. Think of it as a chance to get you infection taken care of and have a meal at a good buffet. Bring back exotics like Otter Pops for gifting and half and half for coffee and you'll be a hero on the playa.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby unjonharley » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:52 am

My nurse friend said that: The guy is to fault for UTI's most of tthe time. This includes flare ups. Peter Pan is a wash basen. Wash it!!
unjonharley

Postby Grizelda » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:55 am

They waived the return fee for me. I think the dressing and crutches convinced them ...

Ah, that's good then. I just read the thing about the exit fee and assumed there weren't any standard exceptions because it didn't say there were any. But I guess there isn't any reason that needs to be in the survival guide or posted somewhere.
Grizelda

Previous

Return to 2005 Theme Camps