out of theme camp space?!

out of theme camp space?!

Postby ZaphodBurner » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:34 pm

The new Theme Camp announcement says they may not have enough reserved space for all the registered theme camps.

Is this a new thing, or a spike in participants?

-gatt
ZaphodBurns!
http://www.zaphodburns2005.org
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby blyslv » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:41 am

It might be some sort of land grab/ real estate bubble mentality thing at work. Lots of people want to be near the Esplanade because that's where all the cool kids are. So if their camp gets placed closest to the Esplnade, they are by default cooler then the people camped in the so called suburbs.

Of course what this misses is that each one of us are responsible for creating the best BM evah, no matter where we are.

Avoid the spector of drunken idiots clutching their own personal 12 pack, wandering around looking for the next cool attraction (Catholic schoolgirls fire dancing wheeee!). Make the event happen where YOU are camped!
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby diane o'thirst » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:57 am

Sounds like cause to implement that idea I wrote about in "West-planade?"

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=7268
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby blyslv » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:04 pm

I think that's a good idea. I don't think there's actually enough brave people to actually implement however. people would be too worried aout missing out on something.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby diane o'thirst » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:53 pm

H'mm. Coulda sworn you just wrote, "Make the event happen where YOU are camped!"...
;)
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby ZaphodBurner » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:59 pm

blyslv wrote:It might be some sort of land grab/ real estate bubble mentality thing at work. Lots of people want to be near the Esplanade because that's where all the cool kids are. So if their camp gets placed closest to the Esplnade, they are by default cooler then the people camped in the so called suburbs.

Eh. Lame. I ran into a camp like that last year. 90% of the stuff their website promised never materialized and mostly they hung around camp bitching about people and drinking beer. They're "long-time burners," though, so wtf do I know? (Except Mercury seemed like shit-hot real-estate for a camp that had no activies for outside participants.)

Hopefully the BRC peeps will wash out the land-grabbers. It sounds like a lot of camps might not have submitted cleanup plans or camp maps. With my luck we'll be placed at 11:30 and BumFuck, surrounded by grass.

-c
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby ThePikey » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:03 pm

Heh. In my mind desirable camping spots are more on the order of 'how far do you have to go to take a leak?' If I was on Exodus, I'd just be doing things to irritate the Earth Guardians... I'll take the middle of the city, thankyewverrimuch.
ThePikey

Postby AmarettoMan » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:18 pm

The Esplanade is terribly overrated. Move along. Nothing more to see there..... :shock:
"Blessed are the dumbfucks, for they shall inherit a fruitcake." ***Biff***
AmarettoMan

Postby jbelson » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:00 pm

Prime Real estate:
Close enough to the porta-potties to sprint to when you're praire doggin, but far enough that you dont smell them.
And close enough to ice to where it doesn't kill ya to carry 2 bags back to camp.
Oh, and far away from those Phoenix Projekt people, they smell funny.
"I gotta have more cowbell"
Bruce dickenson, legendary rock producer
jbelson

Postby ThePikey » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:26 pm

We were right next to them last year. Didn't really smell 'em unless JOTS was cleaning them out. Go find somewhere else to be for 15 minutes, you're golden.
ThePikey

Postby leftbraindp » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:49 pm

JB - you're the reason Phoenix Projekt smells funny... :roll:

I like a place that is close to things, but a little off the main, main area, then you don't have someone wander through your camp and fall on your tent in the middle of the night (really happened!)
-------

Gets bored easily...
leftbraindp

Return to 2005 Theme Camps