Plane Crash Camp update, Thursday 9/4

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Plane Crash Camp update, Thursday 9/4

Postby Ray Moss » Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:24 pm

:(

Update 9/4-

Sadly, the pilot, Barry Jacobs, was taken off life support yesterday and died. His family was there with him; his brother Jordan, and his 22 year old son Nick, who celebrated (?) his birthday Sunday, the day he arrived in Reno to be at his Dad's side. Our deepest condolences to his family and his girlfriend, Carmen.

Patte is slowly moving towards being conscious, and can squeeze her hand a little more in response to questions. Patrick is starting to walk, but is still confused. His son Josha is still in the ICU, but is stable, and slowly reovering.

------------Original post below----------------

My first Burn, we just returned, minus 20% of the folks we drove out with.
Beyond Belief, how appropriate.

Our friends are still in the Washoe Med Center, our closest friend still in a coma, her boyfriend is recovering slowly, albeit with broken bones and more, his son has just come out of his 3rd operation, and will recover, but the pilot is brain-dead, after not having oxygen for the 1 hour it took to get to them inside the plane.

I missed the Man & Temple burns, as I went to Reno to provide info to the hospital and whatever support I could, as they were all in a coma for the first 2 days. Sandra, a great gal from our camp (Birch Circle from San Rafael) drove to Reno with me and left her car there for Carmen (pilot's girlfriend) and I to use. I spent part of the night in the ICU with them all.

Went back last night and spent the night in Reno, saw them all for another day, and there's good news. Our friend Patte is still in a coma, but seems to be coming out of it, and was moving her toes and fingers in response to questions. Patrick is conscious now, but is confused and doesn't remember even going to BRC, much less the crash. His son, Josha, is conscious but still on a ventilator, and is doing well after the 3rd surgery, where they removed a piece of the control panel from his sinus cavity. Sadly, the pilot, Barry, is given only a 2% chance to come out of the coma, as his brain was deprived of oxygen too long.

My wife and my cousin came to Reno Sunday and brought me back, to help pack up the camp and return to the Bay Area. My wife and I ended up finding the night we'd dreamed BM to be, dancing to Hamsa Lila at the Otter Oasis (thanks, Otter Oasis & Hamsa Lila!!!!)

All in all, it was Beyond Belief, and I look forward to returning to BRC next year.

I feel that BM is whatever you make of it, and even with this tragedy in our camp, we made the most of it, and our camp bonded together and helped us.

You're all the best, and we were so happy to be a part of it, even with all that happened.

Hopefully next year I'll actually get to see the Man burn; everyone told me how beautiful it was. I'd never trade being in the ICU, though; I think my being there and giving my friends my love and energy helped. Today I took in a CD player and played them the new Michael Franti/ Spearhead album - they loved it, as they'd seen him at Reggae on the River, and thought he was the show.

Power to the Peaceful!!

ray@raygraph.com
Last edited by Ray Moss on Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray Moss

Postby Zeejay » Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:35 pm

I was very sad to hear about some of the tragic events that happend right under my nose at BM. I'm kinda glad i diddn't hear any of it until i got home. My sympathy goes out to all those injured in accedents this year
I'll be wishing for a full and speedy recovery for you all.
Zeejay

Sending my love to the victims

Postby Madrone » Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:57 pm

Hello Ray, such a small connected world. Sorry to hear about your friends. I actually witnessed the plane crash the day before riding my bike along the trash fence..I heard most were ok. Saturdays crash much more serious, so I send love and blessings to those people and their familys, may they find peace and love and support.

blessings Madrone
Madrone

Sending my love to the victims

Postby Madrone » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:26 pm

Hello Ray, such a small connected world. Sorry to hear about your friends. I actually witnessed the plane crash the day before riding my bike along the trash fence..I heard most were ok. Saturdays crash much more serious, so I send love and blessings to those people and their familys, may they find peace and love and support.

blessings Madrone
Madrone

Postby PJ » Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:44 am

Thanks for the update, Ray.

Those interested in a dispassionate analysis of the aircraft accident can read the National Transportation Board's preliminary and final reports here: http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/month.asp Note that the preliminary report won't become available for a few days--and that the final report often takes over a year.

Pilots are often thought of as heartless or morbid because of their continual discussion of other pilots' errors, but objective accident analysis has always been an important means of reducing future accidents.
PJ

Postby emily sparkle » Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:33 pm

i am truly sorry for your loss. thank you for being strong for your friends and campmates. take good care of yourself too in the coming months and rely on your community (here or in the default world) for support.
:) emily sparkle
eplaya administrator
___

mobilize, energize, motivate, INSPIRE ordinary people to do things to improve their quality of life.
- nobel peace prize winner, wangari maathai
emily sparkle

Postby Julie C » Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:53 pm

We saw the thick black smoke on Saturday as we sat around camp and were having a jolly ole good time. We didnt actully know what is was all about till we got back to SF on Monday and bought a paper. It saddens me to hear how folks just like us, having a good time and hanging with good people, had it have to end like that...my thoughts and prayers to their friends and familes... :)
Julie C

Return to Politics & Philosophy