All About Participating in the Pottie Project

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

All About Participating in the Pottie Project

Postby robbidobbs » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:21 am

Howdy Campers!

CRIPES! It's 75 days until the Burn (not until I have to leave for the Playa). This is no time to panic, kids.

...ok...

PANIC!!!!

We are SO going to KICK ASS this year. More people have approached me this year with their wild ideas on how to get the work out to the masses about excremental correctness than ever before.

What I'm now curious about is what kind of pottie
related projects are buzzing around in your head right
now. As you well know, this is the BEST way to participate either individually or group, and it's still a mission critical issue, so isn't that 200% better than just sitting at a bar getting smashed?

We had a 50% newbie poopulation last year, and there's no reason to expect less than that this year. They need to be TOLD what's proper and what's not. It's not "common knowlege" to everyone. There was an excessive amount of baby-wipes and double ply tp in the camodes, and that's solved by education. Because we DO know shit from shinola, keeping the message out there is critical to ensure 100% grokking by the newbies.

At the same time, the veterans (those that came last year) are sometimes so damn JADED to the message that they roll their eyes at me like the problem is solved and done with because THEY (the eye-rolling individual) "gets it". So, the trick is to encourage veterans to communicate the message to newbies so that everyone takes ownership of the problem.

Remember kids, we need to all be on the same page this year on what's true, what's rumor and what's just been pulled out of someone's...head. This is the first time many of the Participants will be hearing about the Wholly Wyrd of Pooping Man, and it needs to be correct. Check your sources before furthering a rumor.

Greeters! You guys are terrific, and have so DAMN much energy, sometimes it overflows. Educate other folks on the line, and keep the Urban Myths to a minimum. Embrace your power to influence others.

Shwag-shwingers: I'm looking for pottie-related schwag ideas. If you got's em, run with 'em.

Language artists: Got any poo-etry, hai-poos,
sayings, slogans or quotes you'd like to see on the pottie signs? Post'em here and they'll be printed. This year I'm going for succinct, direct, and to the POINT. No more signs about renting beer or survey flags on 6" poo-pyramids.

Media Types: anyone out there from either the print or the broadcast media? What's the plans for articles, interviews, PSA's, etc? Last year I just walked up to any ol' radio station, asked to be interviewed, and they did. This is something I strongly encourage anyone here to do. Hell, it's so fucking narcissistic to be interviewed, I just love it!

Performance Artists! People are thinking of a gazillion things at once out there. Think of ways to make the message stick in their minds with humor, spontenaety and group chemistry so they'll take the message back to camp. This year I'm doing a Pottie Santa bit that is just so sick and wrong I'm not going to reveal any details...except that it is pottie lyrics to the tunes of x-mas carols... and I made a red robe with white collar and cuffs...and I'll stop there cause it's just too wrong.

<hee>

Lighting artists: In the Land of Blinky Lights, to get attention, you should strive for the participant response of "What the fuck is THAT!" I had an epiphany last night about an airport light tower by the pottie banks beyond the Man. I wonder if Tiger Tiger knows about any that have fallen off the back of a truck. Hmmmm. Can we get a dialogue going among those of you who have a lighting fetish?

Rangers: You guys are the Rumor Mongering Central. Your role is to get those good rumors out there, you know, stuff about theft and LEO's and when the storm's coming....stuff that threatens the Event. Well, the potties continue to be the Achilles Heal of the Man, so do what you can to encourage fellow Rangers to engage people in conversation about the message, so that the good news will spread and maintain validity. Embrace your influence on others as well.

ePlayans: I encourage anyone who has something pottie related to post. It's a good way to share your VAST knowledge to people who have serious questions, esp about personal potties. Try to keep the subjects cogent, and read other posts before creating new subject threads (duh). And if you're not 100% sure of your facts, put it in the form of a question.

Points to remember when engaged in conversation about
shit:

1) No garbage, no grey water, no matter how small or
what it says on the label, go in the camodes (but you
knew that).

2)No hovering, the article in Self magazine pure,
unscientific, Bavarian mule-dung. Just park yer butt!

3) Candles, incense and other smokey devices are nasty
and like to jump into the toilets for a swim. Spritz the potties with organic scented spray if you're
concerned.

4) Decorations can only be attached with duct tape
and/or zip-ties. And they are to be taken down by the
artist who put them up by the end of the Event.

5) Wind is our friend, but it's an ornery old cuss.
Make sure your decorations don't become moop at the
trash fence. Use GOOD duct tape or it will melt off.

Bottom line: talk to people a LOT about this issue,
and we'll all be on the same page come August.

So chime in, Campers! I love to hear from you!
RobbiDobbs
Chief Poopervisor of the Pottie Project
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby Chai Guy » Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:30 pm

Robidobbs, you're my hero!

Ok, one simple request to my fellow citizens...

One Potty, One Line!

one line for multiple potties is confusing and leaves empty potties because people don't pay attention to which ones are vacant, and then people bitch about line cutting. So one que per poo please!

That is all.
Chai Guy

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:01 am

Thanks for your input Chai,
Sounds like a fun activity to organize.
You might want a megaphone for this one.

I've seen a plethora (I just love using that word in a sentence) of line styles. Trying to get people to abide by a single paradigm is like herding cats however. But if someone wants to hang out at the pottie-bank and do it, I say more power to them.
robbidobbs

Postby Chai Guy » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:31 am

Oh sure Robbi, make me do all the work!

Ok, I'll think about making up some little cards to tape to the front of the potties that show my brilliant que idea using some kind of "universal" picture language or something.

Thanks Robbi, just what I need, another project.
Chai Guy

Postby robotland » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:37 am

I'll contribute a slogan....
"Get a Clue- Form a Que!"
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:01 pm

Well, Chai, just be grateful that you didn't mention guarding the potties to prevent sabotage. You'd be camped there all week!

eta: btw, I think it's "cue" in this context.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:05 pm

Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Chai Guy » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:17 pm

Well, Chai, just be grateful that you didn't mention guarding the potties to prevent sabotage. You'd be camped there all week!

Uhhh.. Fishy, don't give Robbi any ideas ok?

eta: btw, I think it's "cue" in this context

Oh, right, cause "que" would denote like a grill right? And that would just be, wrong...
Chai Guy

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:18 pm

crack me up Chai Guy!

Although we wont discuss the use of cowdung in indian cooking. ..
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Kinetic IV » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:35 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Although we wont discuss the use of cowdung in indian cooking. ..

There are other unsavory uses for portapottie materials.....
http://www.kten.com/article.asp?id=8639
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:48 pm

Chai Guy wrote:Thanks Robbi, just what I need, another project.

Yer welcome

*smooch*
robbidobbs

Postby mullethunter » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:54 am

[quote="Kinetic IV"]There are other unsavory uses for portapottie materials.....
quote]
speaking of which,(and a little off topic really) in south korea it's a local delicacy to eat what is known as "shit pig " (my translation). apparently these are pigs raised exclusively on human excrement. yikes! i've heard tell that the meat is quite delicious, even a little sweet tasting. :shock:
If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."
-Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handy
mullethunter

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:08 am

Ok kids, back on topic.

I'm doing things a bit differently this year with
regards to the signs. When I realized that some of my
signs could only be read at 20 feet back (where the
lines form) if one has outstanding eyesight (and yes,
I tested this), I decided to make 1/2 of the signs in
36 point.

There will probably be a 50% newbie population this
year, if last year was predictive. That means the
enculturating must be dilligent, memorable, and
direct. The Message needs to stick in their heads, no
matter how wasted or sensorially overwhelmed they are
(is "sensorially" a word?). Think succinct, but with
a classic BM style.

SO!

I'm asking you, Dear Campers, to take a moment, and
think up a slogan that's 10-20 words, or 4 lines in 36
point Arial, to be made into a sign. And yes, you'll
be cited.

Come-on, you know you'd rather think about this than
work.

Stay regular,
RobbiDobbs clear
robbidobbs

Postby Chai Guy » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:19 am

"If it ain’t POOP, PEE or Single Ply T.P.
Take it with you when you leave!"
Chai Guy

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:57 pm

That's perfect, ChaiGuy.

Here's what's on my mind today. ..
I was just told by someone (who knows WHERE she came from) that signage shouldn't be cute, clever or poetic, but direct. Also all of the signs should be a single message, and under 10 words.

Well, I tell you what, Campers. I disagree that 10-20 words is too many, because I disagree that the message can be driven into everyone's head in one, uniform, brief phrase. The signs, and the project itself is about avoiding habituation. They are meant to be read as interesting and engaging. Besides, there are other issues going on than just garbage in the potties. There is grey water dumping and hovering. What's worse, is that most clog problems come from baby-wipes, something often not viewed as "garbage".

Making the message so industrial that it is no longer paid attention to is worse than counter-productive, it's "commercial". This project is designed to inspire participation, not just say NO, STOP and DON'T.

Here's the best reason for doing more than saying "no, stop and don't". This was written by a wonderful Ranger named HalfDome, who has since departed us:
“People in a state of rebellion tend to say, "Fuck off!" to things that inconvenience them, unless they are told the reason for the rule. And I’d say the average Burning man participant is in a state of rebellion, wouldn’t you?”

Sure, if I wanted to make them industrial and identical they'd be read, but would the message be *internalized*? Would people comply blindly? I strongly doubt it.

I'm all for hearing input, but if anyone has a better idea on how to solve OUR problem, then please, by all means, run with it.

Thanks for listening.
robbidobbs

confession

Postby swampdog » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:10 pm

Last year, my virgin year, one of my campmates insisted on using baby wipes. "umm, I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to" was the best I could come up with (sorry, Robbi, really I am very sorry). So I'm thinking, simple and direct. A slogan at the top ("if it didn't come out of your body..." had a nice ring) then in huge type:

NO! BABYWIPES

and then a text-y explanation. Maybe a series with a different NO for each one - like

NO! HOVERING. Hmm, lemme see what I can come up with...
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby swampdog » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:24 pm

mebbe somefing like this http://tinyurl.com/86zb9

oh, and I thought of this one. To alternate with the harsh tone of the other.

http://tinyurl.com/8qkak
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:02 pm

That's fucking TERRIFIC SwampDog.
The one about doorknobs made me guffaw right out of my chair.
You totally brightened my day, and got me out of the funk I was in. Thank you.

Ok Campers, I'm up to 56.

Anyone got ideas about gray water? I need more about these.

Here's one I just came up with:
DEAL WITH YOUR
GREY WATER
ELSEWHERE!
That bucket you’re carrying
better have yellow liquid
...and no bubbles!
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
13 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
robbidobbs

Postby robotland » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:44 am

"HELP WIN THE BATTLE OF THE BILGE....NO GRAY WATER IN THE LOO!"
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Zem » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:49 am

I am a virgin(still in the planning phase) and a member of Girl scouts of canada were hovering is an unofficial requirement and a basis for lots of jokes among the GS population. I guess the "no hovering" rule at Bman is to do with....missing...your target. If GS has taught me anything its how to deal with bad toilets. If anyone here as ever had to go to a Kybo(that hasnt been cleaned in 6 months) at one in the morning in black fly season with no running water to wash your hands, you know what I am talking about.
"a good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving" -Lao Tzu
Zem

Postby Lassen Forge » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:16 am

The old favorite also applies:

IF YOU SPRINKLE
WHEN YOU TINKLE
PLEASE BE A SWEETIE
AND WIPE THE SEATY.

How 'bout the following, posted *on* the lid... with a big smiley face or something equally insane...

Baby wipes and grey water give us indegestion.
PLEASE...
Don't feed them to us!

Thank you,
The residents of Portapotty tank # 26634

And one more...

If it's yellow, then it's mellow,
If it's brown, it goes down,
but if it's grey, take it away.
(and while you're at it, please don't spray!!)

Have a nice day!
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby AntiM » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:20 am

I'm still trying to come up with a decent rhyme for "tampon."

I don't want to stampon
your used tampon,
don't put it on the floor.
Keep it out of the potty,
that's worse than naughty;
Wrap it and take it back out the door.

Or to be uber-crude:

Your tampon will plug more than just your hole, don't put it in the potty.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:11 pm

Zem wrote: I guess the "no hovering" rule at Bman is to do with....missing...your target.

If your aim is so true,
All your shit's in the Blue,
Then Participant, Thank you!
But if you're seeing spots,
With intoxicants or sots,
Then don't piss off JotS
By shitting on the pots.

I bet you weren't trying to get all your tinkle into the Deep while you were drunk, were ya? If you're conscientious enough to aim perfectly, and/or wipe the seat off after you've done your business, then I DON'T CARE!

It's the idiots who get smashed, have the same ignorant habit, and then walk away from a soiled potty that piss me off.

We have a problem with people not even openning the fucking lid before crapping, or sliding their shit all over the seat, so I REALLY don't have a lot of tolerance for the subject of hovering whatsoever. :x

Oh and thanks guys for the Poo-etry!
robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:23 pm

If you're worried about it, take a flashlight in the pottie with you at night, check out the scene, wipe the seat down with TP, and park your butt down.

Not to alienate a virgin, but I'm very serious about this,
YOU WILL NOT GET FUCKING COOTIES FROM A FUCKING TOILET SEAT

There is not ONE instance of someone getting a disease from a public toilet in the history of the AMA. It's a myth, an old-wives-tale, complete and utter bullshit.
robbidobbs

Postby AntiM » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:50 am

I was in a reststop potty and some woman was in there with her toddler. She was screaming at the poor thing not to touch anything in the bathroom. Then she didn't even flush the toilet. Not even a toe tap flush, how insane. Too bad she made her exit before I could tell her to relax, there are more germs on her cellphone than on a potty seat.

hehe. But I did flush the toilet after she left.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:06 am

AntiM wrote: Too bad she made her exit before I could tell her to relax, there are more germs on her cellphone than on a potty seatt
Ah, AntiM you would have orphaned that poor child then and there.
(Are we into star territory on this subject yet?)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Zem » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:36 am

Not to alienate a virgin, but I'm very serious about this,
YOU WILL NOT GET FUCKING COOTIES FROM A FUCKING TOILET SEAT

I didn't mean that by what I said Robbidobbs, I'm definetly not afraid of that. Really I dont know what I ment by what I said I just felt like making conversation. the reason GS's hover is because at most camps,especially winter camping(duh), its so cold it's either hover or have your ass stuck to the seat. but since thats really not a problem at Bman, forget I said anything.
"a good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving" -Lao Tzu
Zem

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:46 am

'Kay, Zem, we forgive you. True we don't freeze to the seat. Try and cut Robbidobbs some slack. Some silly article came out in some silly woman's mag a few years ago endorsing the hovering will save you from cooties myth and it's been a headache for the event ever since. So RD will pounce on the merest whiff of that. I know us vets can be somewhat brutal enforcers, but it has more to do with dealing with the same problems over and over than it does to do with hostility to newbies.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Poop is Not your Friend

Postby EvilDustBooger » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:05 pm

robbidobbs wrote:There is not ONE instance of someone getting a disease from a public toilet in the history of the AMA. It's a myth, an old-wives-tale, complete and utter bullshit.

I was hesitant to weigh in on this very heated topic, but I must add:
The straight Poop:
..It is generally known that "STD`s" are not commonly transmitted by sharing the same toilet seat.....

...and Urine is generally a "sterile" liquid...

...But human Fecal matter is a completely different matter. A host of serious diseases can be found in, transmitted by, and traced back to Poop.
..of course, this type of disease can be spread at home, work, restaurants, etc., so it is always good to use a little common sense, like washing your hands well after possible contact with fecal matter,...which is every time you use a toilet anywhere...so wash your hands after OK?
...Also a little visual inspection couldn`t hurt before sitting down. And maybe a little swipe of the seat with some isopropyl alcohol wouldn`t be misconstrued as a perverse phobia if one was worried about being construed.....wrongly.
...So, shit happens....just be careful and considerate....
...I realize I`m preaching to the choir here...
EvilDustBooger

Postby robbidobbs » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:18 pm

Thanks, oh Evil DB,

To quote an ePlaya member from last year:

“As for the hovering problem, I do suspect a lot of the grossness happens at night... I was shocked to hear a friend say she NEVER brings a light into the potties at night, just kicks up the seat and aims in the general direction of the toilet. Ew.”
Burning Girl

Of course shit is a completely different matter, and if someone was so crass as to hover over the seat to do their business, that's really the only way that it got there. They've just fouled the unit for up to 6 hrs before the next cleaning. It's really not a nice practice, and if everyone were to park it down, there wouldn't be nearly the problem that we are having.

And yes, urine is sterile, so just wipe the seat with TP before planting yer fanny.
robbidobbs

Next

Return to Get Involved!