Lost in art. Help!

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Lost in art. Help!

Postby michelet » Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:18 pm

I was wondering if someone can tell me how to make an art car??? I've always wanted to create an artcar, but can't figure out how most of them function. I guess I'll need a welder to begin welding a frame work on to my truck/car and then for the decor... How do people make plastery looking heads and other forms extending from there car? What types of materials do I look for? Styrofoam? Plaster? PVC piping? etc. Whats a good beginner material? Thanks for your help, I'm pretty clueless in these artsy matters.
michelet

Postby robotland » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:19 am

What do you have to start with? Remember that you'll very probably need a sheltered place to keep your masterpiece...unless your medium is fiberglass. And anything that you stick on had better be capable of withstanding a high wind. Even if it's a beater that won't go faster than 20 MPH, there's lotsa wind on the playa.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:56 am

Welcome, Michelet. You might want to check out the website/blog I built as I was constructing my first art car at www.MutantVehcle.com and maybe you can learn from some of my mistakes and discoveries. It would also be helpful to own a time machine because there is precious little time to build one correctly before this years burn. If you slop it together and the Department of Mutant Vehicles does not approve, you could find it at the impound lot for the entire event.

Follow this like an art car bible:
http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/ ... _2004.html

Good luck, and I hope to have a minor collision with you on the playa!
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

base vehicle for art car

Postby waltsnipe » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:49 am

I know a long-time Burner in the East Bay area trying to sell an old Jeep Cherokee cheap. E-mail me if interested, and I'll hook you two up.
waltsnipe

Postby Bob » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:22 pm

Harrod Blank and others have books out there on art cars. Check Amazon.

How about starting small, eg with an Art Bike or an Art Wheelbarrow?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby headquarters » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:54 pm

Bob wrote:Harrod Blank and others have books out there on art cars. Check Amazon.

How about starting small, eg with an Art Bike or an Art Wheelbarrow?

art wheelbarrow! that is genius. that gives me some ideas
headquarters

Best Art Car website

Postby clairedad » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:01 pm

clairedad

Postby michelet » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:01 pm

:D Thank you for your responses! All very helpful. I have purchased a cheap golf cart at an auction last week and with all your advice have started on an easier project for this year. Looking forward to building something grand in the future.
michelet

Return to 2005 Art & Performance