what are you listening to?

All things outside of Burning Man.

what are you listening to?

Postby mullethunter » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:46 am

i saw the thread "what are you reading", and normally i am an avid reader, but i just downloaded kazaa on my computer, so i haven't been reading too much lately, (unless you count this forum) because i've been downloading music like mad. so... let me know what tunes are your faves and why. here's my list, in no particular order;

makeda by les nubians (just fell in love with this french duo, very cool mix of african and european, tres sexy)

guns of brixton by nouvelle vague (another french group that do covers of 80's punk and new wave in a bossa nova, lounge style, with female singers. also good is their cover of "i melt with you")

teardrop by massive attack (beautiful ambient)

lola stars and stripes by the stills (cool rock from montreal)

smoke two joints by sublime (hmmmm.... i wish)

love in a trashcan by the raveonettes (just damn cool)

finding out true love is blind by louis XIV (kick ass rock with attitude)

my vagina by NOFX (need i say more?)

if you're into good music that's original and not like the drivel that's on most radio stations, i definitely recommend you check out these tunes. enjoy.
If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."
-Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handy
mullethunter

what i'm listening to!

Postby montana wildhack » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:13 am

lately i've been treated to lots of great music courtesy of my sweet Evildustbooger...some faves are Propellerheads(ain't nuthin but some sexin' music!), lots of Massive Attack (ambient) and Joanna Newsom (vocalist from another galaxy)

and i'm definitely looking forward to the new michelle shocked cd, 'got no strings' --disney classics a la western swing.

viva burning man!
montana wildhack

Postby robotland » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:20 am

i've only heard the VERY COOL Propellerheads-with-Shirley-Bassey "History Repeating" song....is the rest of their stuff that good?
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Ranger Genius » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:35 am

None of their other stuff is in the same vein, but it is rather good. There are a couple(?) tracks on the Matrix soundtrack. I like "Spybreak!" quite a bit.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

Postby robotland » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:08 am

Remember the Art of Noise remake of the Peter Gunn Theme?

(I seem to be hung up on spy music today.)
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby HughMungus » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:41 am

Right now: Stern.
Later: Radio Paradise.
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby mullethunter » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:50 pm

[quote="robotland"]Remember the Art of Noise remake of the Peter Gunn Theme?

(I seem to be hung up on spy music today.)[/quote]

you might really like this then; i have a cd called "the crime scene" and it's all original songs from old tv crime dramas and spy shows. all the classics, including the themes from dragnet, james bond, mission impossible, etc.... even better though, the tag line is "spies, thighs and private eyes"
If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."
mullethunter

Postby robotland » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:01 am

Hey! I've seen that collection!

I used to have a pile of Ventures albums, back in my record-store days...they used to cover theme songs and stuff, with almost no shame whatsoever. (And put out a ridiculous but enjoyable Xmuz album!)

I've got to get one LP onto disc for archival purposes- The soundtrack to LSD, a documentary from the 60's that to my knowledge has never been re-released...Side one is "The Scene", side two "The Trip", and there's some amazing recordings of tripping youngsters ("Brian is amusing himself by chewing on some plastic flashcubes") and a hysterical Timothy Leary interview. So good.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby sputnik » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:07 am

mullethunter wrote:(I seem to be hung up on spy music today.)

Check out the Secret Agent channel on SOMA-FM. I find it using iTunes under the electronica tab.
It's going to be alright.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:26 am

Thanks, Sputnik! That's an awesome station! (And local to some of us, too!!)
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby sputnik » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:29 am

I love the little James Bond movie clip sounds they insert here and there.

eta: I just checked their website and found out more about them. I sent them $10 to help out since I listen a lot.
It's going to be alright.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby Davoid » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:12 am

In line with finally returning home this year, I'm finally downloading muzik. Does an ex-vinyl junkie good. Instead of kazaa, though, I'm using soulseek, which has gotten some strong recommendations from peeps, like, in the know (an' shit).

Onto the recent listenings, not all recently released:
Ulrich Schnauss- "A Strangely Isolated Place" - nice electronic business
Sub Oslo- "Rites of Dub"- modern 'tronicky dub sounds
Caribou- "The Milk of Human Kindness"- post-rock, post-pop post-somethin'erother indie grooves
Juana Molina- "Tres Cosas"- Quiet, sweet, and in spanish
Transient Waves- Self-titled- Finally replaced this lost CD. Some of the coolest ambient there is (btw, I'd say massive Attack is more in the realm of trip hop than ambient, but who needs such pigeon holes?).
lastly, I still cannot get "Walking with the Ghost" by sisters Tegan and Sara off of my regular playlist. That's some simple, catchy shit!
Davoid

Postby mullethunter » Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:52 am

Davoid wrote:Ulrich Schnauss- "A Strangely Isolated Place" - nice electronic business
Sub Oslo- "Rites of Dub"- modern 'tronicky dub sounds
Caribou- "The Milk of Human Kindness"- post-rock, post-pop post-somethin'erother indie grooves
Juana Molina- "Tres Cosas"- Quiet, sweet, and in spanish
Transient Waves- Self-titled- Finally replaced this lost CD. Some of the coolest ambient there is (btw, I'd say massive Attack is more in the realm of trip hop than ambient, but who needs such pigeon holes?).
lastly, I still cannot get "Walking with the Ghost" by sisters Tegan and Sara off of my regular playlist. That's some simple, catchy shit!

sounds interesting, i'll have to check them out. i'm one of those people who loves electronic music, (along with many other genres) but doesn't know the names of djs and tracks (part of the reason why i posted this thread, to hear what people are listening to)
mullethunter

Postby BAS » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:03 pm

I've been listening to the radio-- WORT, to be exact. Their gospel (sp?) show just ended, and their experiemental electronic (ussually*) show is just starting.

*for some reason the first thing they are playing seems to be drums....
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby Elemental666 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:26 pm

I am currently listening to the unending beating of my heart reminding me how loathsome this idea of working for a living really is. I mean at what point did it become status quo to sign our lives over to someones elses money. When did the world decide that living should have a cost and we should slave away for some non tangible entity until we reach a certain age well beyond out prime, waisting the best years of our lives just make rent and keep the water turned on. When the GNP become more important than QOL and why for crap sake can't I just say piss on your corporate infrastructure and LEAVE ME BE!!!!!!

eh... now I'm gonna listen to Pink Floyd and wonder what it would be like to eat more drugs than should be humanily possible...
Elemental666

Postby robotland » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:00 am

This Saturday the EasyStarsAllStars come to the Island Festival here in lil' Kazoo...Dub Side Of The Moon!!!! (Pink Floyd's DSOTM, except all Reggae.) OH yeah.

Currently..."Hawaiian Slack Key Masters, Vol.1".
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby montana wildhack » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:46 pm

man! we sneak 'dub side of the moon' into the cd changer at work all the time! have a great time at the show! love it!
montana wildhack

Postby Ash_ » Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:40 pm

Omar A. Rodriguez-Lopez : A Manual Dexterity

Guitarist from the Mars Volta's solo project.
Purchase, listen, repeat.
A nomad's happy spasm. Hunting for desert orgasms.
Ash_

Postby robotland » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:43 am

montana wildhack wrote:man! we sneak 'dub side of the moon' into the cd changer at work all the time! have a great time at the show! love it!

They KILLED on Saturday night....super crowded, super hot....Also debuted my electric Thinking Cap- I was attracting cute, very high girls as though I was mothhunting with a light bulb. Good Summer night!
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby robotland » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:08 pm

"Honeycomb", the new Frank Black album....terrific!
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby shitmouse » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:14 pm

right now?

- Bardo Pond

- The Swirlies

(bouncing down to disc a mixed cd from pro-tools)

-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=
shitmouse

Postby Ranger Genius » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:12 pm

Jane Jensen - Comic Book Whore

Dresden Dolls (Untitled debut)

OKGo - Oh No

Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

Postby gawul » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:29 am

eric the half a bee

Half a bee
Philosophically
must ipso facto
half not be.

But half the bee
has got to be
ah, vis-a-vis,
its entity - do you see?

But can a bee
be said to be
or not to be
an entire bee

when half the bee
is not a bee
due to some ancient
injury.

(singing)

A la-dee-dee,
a one-two-three,
Eric the Half-a-Bee
A-B-C-D-E-F-G,
Eric the Half-a-Bee!
Is this a wretched demi-bee
half asleep upon my knee?
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric the Half-a-Bee!

A fiddle-dee-dum,
A fiddle-dee-dee,
Eric the Half-a-Bee.
Ho ho ho
Tee-hee-hee,
Eric the Half-a-Bee.

I love this hive
employ-ee-ee
bisected accidentally
one summer afternoon by me
I love him carnally
(he loves him carnally)
(semi-carnally)
gawul

Postby mars » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:47 am

Eric the Half-a-bee! My favorite song until last night when I heard the theme song for Attack of the Killer Tomatoes...anyone got the lyrics?

Neon
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.
mars

Postby RedHeaven » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:32 pm

Heres my post burn playlist in the car-n-round the house:
Shpongle, String Cheese Incident, Sector 9, Mermen, Hamsa Lila, Thievory Corp, Depeche Mode, Spearhead, and a little bit of HOt Buttered Rum string Band to balance me out and bring me home at some point.

I heard some fun stuff out there in the desert. I was planning on posting my personal Burning Man playlist at some point. Funny shit!
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:11 pm

mars. Going to google and typing in "lyrics: attack of the killer tomatoes" got me this as the very first link.

http://www.cfhf.net/lyrics/attack.htm
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby mars » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:46 pm

Thanks for the killer lyrics!

And beware the killer tomatoes...they're marching in San Jose...tomatoes are on their way!
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.
mars

Postby cowboyangel » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:48 pm

"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981
cowboyangel

Postby diane o'thirst » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:11 pm

KMFDM "84 - 86." All their weird experimental pre-contract demo-type stuff. Sascha's girlfriend was from Southeast Asia so they incorporated some gamelan into one of the tracks! Image
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby Mozy bonz » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:28 pm

Groove salad: a nicely chilled plate of ambient beats and grooves. on soma fm internet raido.
Mozy bonz

Next

Return to Open Discussion