NonSmoking Camps

NonSmoking Camps

Postby taxman56 » Sun May 01, 2005 8:02 pm

Hi Burners

Is there any nonsmoking camp for 2005?

I prefer not to smell cigarette smoke 24/7 and hate the sight of cigarette butts littering the ground, especially when I may feel compelled to have to pick them up when leaving.

I think just to see smokers dump their butts in old candy tins, may reaffirm my belief that there are some responsible smokers out there in the world.
:roll:
taxman56

Postby Isotopia » Mon May 02, 2005 11:06 am

Not unless you make it yourself. There are no public 'no smoking areas' in Black Rock City.

Count on getting a butt load of grief if you suggest to someone that they put out their smoke anywhere other than a camp where such is a personal or group policy.
Isotopia

Postby Alex_uk » Mon May 02, 2005 3:15 pm

oh yeah
Alex_uk

Sorry for the inconvenience

Postby Scubapro » Mon May 02, 2005 11:27 pm

Being a smoker myself, I have quit in the past to where smoke was nauseating to me. I think if it weren't for inconsiderate smokers, we wouldn't have all the idiotic laws surrounding smoking today. I too will be bringing a tin to put my butts out in just because I believe not to spoil nature in the least by throwing them on the ground. I hope for you sake you will find a place where you won't have to put up with sidestream smoke. For myself, I try to keep some distance from people who don't smoke when I light up. This is just me and I've practiced that long before all the hoopula started. Good luck.
Scubapro

Postby Gothalot » Thu May 05, 2005 1:52 pm

Im a smoker too, but didnt see too many butts on the ground. Seldom actually and I was in center camp as well. For the most part smokers are encouraged to carry a film container. I dont think everyone got one but they were even given out at the gate by the greeters (Thanks so much I used mine! Love them!)

Want a smoke free camp? Create one! Playa dust in your lungs and you are worried about some tobacco smoke? You freak you! Trust me, you are in more danger of smoke inhilation issues at the Burn. The smell? Geebus man, have you smelled those porta potties?
Media Mecca Volunteer / Spikes Vampire Bar Mgr
Gothalot

Asking me to put out the smoke

Postby Scubapro » Fri May 06, 2005 1:00 am

I'm approachable to be let known the smoke is bothering someone. I won't necessarily put it out, just move farther away or downwind. Do you non-smokers have any idea how much smokes are costing nowadays? The health-Nazis in California has voted in taxes that has driven prices way up. The real strategy is to drive prices so high, no one can afford to smoke. Of course the politicians and special interest groups are doing all of this waving the banner saying "Save Our Children". Smoking is not a good thing, but I resent anyone who think they can force me to quit just because THEY think I should.
'Nuff said. :)
Scubapro

Postby Janka » Fri May 06, 2005 1:55 am

Go health-nazis.

That said, I don't smoke, I don't like tobacco smoke, and I had *zero* problems with smokers in BRC last year. I think we went into one bar-dome that had a smoky interior, and that was mild compared to many pubs in the default world (and no one had to go in, of course :)), and I think I once moved two meters to get away from the down-wind of someone who smoked at the esplanade. That's all. There's lots of air on the playa, smoke is unlikely to bother you, unless your standards are so ridiculously strict that the above two examples would have been a problem.

(And, naturally, if your standards for anything are ridiculously strict, I am not sure if BM is for you anyway ;)).
Janka

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Fri May 06, 2005 11:14 am

Depending on your definition, there really isn't any place in BRC that is "smoke free". One day I would not be surprised if it was revealed that spending a week at BM was like living for a year downwind of an incinerator. The stuff I have seen burned (and got whiffs of!) some years....by week's end it feels a little like the burning oil fields of Kuwait must have been like. But I digress.
dragonfly Jafe

Your next

Postby Scubapro » Fri May 06, 2005 9:44 pm

J,
If you are overweight, you're next on their list. Have you been hearing about all the overweight people here in the US. I've heard it called an epidemic. You can also hear everyday the negative health effects of being overweight. These were the tactics used before performing the coup de etat on the tobacco industry. I wouldn't take too lightly the works of others who want you to fit into their little paradigm of what is the perfect human being. There are some powerful forces out there. I'm not trying to be a smart ass here, I respect your opinion. With my experience dealing with politics, there is always more than meets the eye (or of not informing the public of true intentions.)
Scubapro

Postby synchronicity » Sat May 07, 2005 7:10 am

There is burning - ergo there is smoking.
You can't change the laws of physics.
"I never know when I'm on the road to oblivion, I only know when I arrive."
synchronicity

Postby joel the ornery » Sat May 07, 2005 7:44 am

synchronicity wrote:There is burning - ergo there is smoking.
You can't change the laws of physics.

yeah, baby!

sorry, i couldn't help myself.
joel the ornery

Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares
Burning Since: 1998

Re: NonSmoking Camps

Postby echoecho » Sun May 08, 2005 3:39 pm

Make your own nonsmoking camp if you want one.

taxman56 wrote:Hi Burners

I prefer not to smell cigarette smoke 24/7 and hate the sight of cigarette butts littering the ground, especially when I may feel compelled to have to pick them up when leaving.

I think just to see smokers dump their butts in old candy tins, may reaffirm my belief that there are some responsible smokers out there in the world.
:roll:
echoecho

Postby Janka » Mon May 09, 2005 1:53 am

Scuba, to be honest, I was not completely serious about my whole-hearted support to health-nazis. Completely seriously, I do respect people's right to certain irrational life-choices (though I am not always in favor of making irrationality the easiest way to go).
Janka

Postby TheMirror » Mon May 23, 2005 7:27 am

There is an important difference between smokers and fat people though. Someone's smoke can enter your lungs more easily than someone's food.

Dang, I was going to say you can't get passively fat then I realised that that is exactly how you do get fat - passively!

Smoke from smokers can damage your lungs but all fat people can do is block the view (don't let them sit on you though!). In either case you can walk round or down wind of them, but if they are really fat, they might take a while to walk round.

Dagnabbit, it is all too confusing. I suggest that everyone treat everyone else and their suicidally stupid choices with respect and we will all get along. Burning Man is all about that, right.

There are good and bad fat people and (relatively-)responsible and irresponsible smokers - treat the behaviour not the affliction, no?

:idea: :)
We look at our reflection in a still pool and it gives us a perspective on who we are, but we do not know how deep it goes until we dip into the pool and past the image, necessarily disturbing the surface in the process.
TheMirror

Return to 2005 Theme Camps