Black Rock Gazette Camp

Black Rock Gazette Camp

Postby Gothalot » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:17 pm

Hoping not to be squished in over at Media Mecca again this year, The Black Rock Gazette will be requesting its own camp this year. No gaurentees mind you but we're giving it a shot and Durgy is championing the cause. To keep abreast of the developments you can join Tribe.net and join the Black Rock Gazette tribe.

I am the camp manager as well and will be looking for an LNT Mgr.

Any Gazetter's that would like to volunteer to come early to set up and stay a day later to Leave No Trace, will be fed and coveted greatly.
Camping priorety goes to staff ie anyone working on the paper.

Please contact me if you have requests or suggestions for our theme.

-Gothalot
Gothalot

Postby mo_corleone » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:09 pm

i thought all the gazette workers slept in larry harvey's tent.

:?:
~ erratically self-sufficient ~
mo_corleone

:-P

Postby Gothalot » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:40 am

Well no, after the last belly dancer beer up, we figured we outa have our own camp this year. Larry hogs the covers and snores too.
Gothalot

Postby SHEEPMAN » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:49 am

HEY GAZETTE PEOPLE,
I am very interested in having my comic strip,
"HEROES OF THE PLAYA" featured in the BLACK ROCK GAZETTE again.
It was featured four times in the 2003 edition,but last year the ED in Chief, DURGY was no where to be found. I got some great feedback from readers and I would like a chance to add some more superheroics to the paper.
These are the only known superheroes of BLACK ROCK CITY and they deserve to continue their quest to keep the peace on the playa.

Please let me know how to carry on the comic strip. Thanx- Jeffrey
Peterson
sheepman
SHEEPMAN

Comic strip

Postby Gothalot » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:57 am

Sheepman, Durgy can get a little busy the time of the event. This year he will be more available and will be camping within the Black Rock Gazette.
If you can not find Durgy, ask for Nefarious the Volunteer CoOrdinator or Francis (ops) or even myself Gothalot (camp manager/picture editor). Most likely we will be located in Center Camp near Media Mecca. The Gazette is looking for our own space this year so untill I have gotten word of exact placement Im unsure. You can also e-mail Durgy at durgy@burningman.com .

I look forward to seeing your strip.

All the best, Gothalot / Black Rock Gazette
Media Mecca Volunteer / Spikes Vampire Bar Mgr
Gothalot

Postby SHEEPMAN » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:41 pm

Gothalot,

Thanx for the feedback. I'll contact Durgy asap. Check out "Heroes of the Playa" in the 2003 version of the Black Rock Gazette, it was featured four times. I'd be into sending some copies if need be. Thanx again. peace to the fleece-SHEEPMAN
sheepman
SHEEPMAN

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:24 am

Sheepman!!

Your comic rocks!! It would be great to see it again on BRG.

no BRG

Postby Gothalot » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:23 am

Well sorry folks but BMorg announced that there was to be NO Black Rock Gazette. Some of the xBRG folks are putting together another paper in the same quality w/ fewer restrictions. Stay tuned. If you'd like to be forwarded to the X-BRG staffers send me an e-mail and Ill get you in touch. All the best, Gothalot
email to: atomiclens (at) sbcglobal (dot) net
Gothalot

Postby spectabillis » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:00 pm

But are you still doing a camp?
spectabillis

camp

Postby Gothalot » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:11 pm

As long as the Org approves my request for space yes.
Gothalot

Postby spectabillis » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:28 pm

I case you dont get your distribution worked out, post where you will be when you find out so people can pick up copies.
spectabillis

Postby Kinetic IV » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:43 pm

Competition for Piss Clear? Less restrictions? What started out looking bad may turn out to be anything but. Having a good old fashioned media war for the hearts and minds of BRC's citizens...at least the ones that Camp Apokiliptika doesn't take, could be interesting.

Something tells me BRC this year will more than make up for last year's problems.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby Gothalot » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:57 pm

Kinetic IV wrote:Competition for Piss Clear? Less restrictions? What started out looking bad may turn out to be anything but. Having a good old fashioned media war for the hearts and minds of BRC's citizens...at least the ones that Camp Apokiliptika doesn't take, could be interesting.

---We are not competing with anyone. We are more focused than that. The various papers out there do a fine job however we are planning for a paper that picks up where the Gazette left off and where the Gazette should have been in the first place. The Black Rock Beacon can be found on Tribe.net if there is any interest in helping us out. Seeing that we have no funding at all we also will appreciate donations to the cause. We're also looking for paper deliverers.

Something tells me BRC this year will more than make up for last year's problems.

-----No doubt there. The news will be hot and fresh and we'll be there to deliver the latest Playa news as it happens.
Gothalot

Postby Gothalot » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:58 pm

Kinetic IV wrote:Competition for Piss Clear? Less restrictions? What started out looking bad may turn out to be anything but. Having a good old fashioned media war for the hearts and minds of BRC's citizens...at least the ones that Camp Apokiliptika doesn't take, could be interesting.

---We are not competing with anyone. We are more focused than that. The various papers out there do a fine job however we are planning for a paper that picks up where the Gazette left off and where the Gazette should have been in the first place. The Black Rock Beacon can be found on Tribe.net if there is any interest in helping us out. Seeing that we have no funding at all we also will appreciate donations to the cause. We're also looking for paper deliverers.

Make up for last year?
-----No doubt there. The news will be hot and fresh and we'll be there to deliver the latest Playa news as it happens.
Gothalot

Postby The Count » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:30 pm

Oh hello! Hello?

It's okay, really, being transparent/invisible does occasionally have advantages -- except when one is trying to catch the attention of someone who either can't or won't see you.

Hello?

Radio station? Distribution is infinite and immediate and FREE. Am I victim of some paper-based racism campaign here? What is the flaw I'm missing in this apparently (to me) win-win scenario that is preventing y'all from frothing at the bit with enthusiasm for my suggestion?

We would LOVE to have contributions from a crew of long-winded and verbally acute correspondents. !!
Why isn't this thrilling? How long do you need for the red carpet to be?

Is the prospect of reading your print-style 25 plus word sentences aloud without coming up for air daunting? Are you unable to consider yourself productive unless you're generating something that can go in a clip book?

It's not my first choice to start a conversation with a platoon of keyboard-pounders pissed off at me, but I'm going to have to throw a drink on you in a minute.

Hello???

Would you like to discuss this? Or are you completely and unalterably set in your Gutenburgian ways? That is SO last century, by the way.

Can we talk? Or should I just go read Fark some more? (IE: Fark off?)

TheCount
Sales/promotions Manager 99.9 FM Black Rock City
The Count

Postby Gothalot » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:22 am

And can we have that in English please?
Gothalot

Postby Gothalot » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:26 am

If you are inferring that we connect radio with print that would be fine. Im sure we could collaborate. I had a few words with Harley suggesting a radio connection. Feel free to contact me.
Gothalot

Postby Janka » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:27 am

I think maybe he is trying to ask why don't you have a radiostation instead of a newspaper, and possinly offering help with the radio?

(If I am interpreting correctly, then I guess that the answer to the why is that radio and newspapers 1) reach different people - not everyone has a radio in their camp, let alone listens to it regularly, and 2) are different media, so if your interests lies in the written words, making spoken words art might not be inspiring.)
Janka

Radio -newspaper

Postby Gothalot » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:43 am

Yes, thank you Janka, I gathered that. Radio is a fine idea but the paper will happen anyway. Its already moving ahead. We have a large group of print/publishing professionals already working on it as part of their 'gift' to the people of BRC. I will bring it up to the papers councel if the radio people are interested in a collaboration of course. So far no one has contacted me or Mitch (this years publisher)
Gothalot

Postby Janka » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:45 am

Actually I wrote that before seeing your post, in answer to that "can we have it in English". ;) Sorry for interrupting your thread with more or less nonsense.
Janka

Re: Radio -newspaper

Postby The Count » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:42 am

[quote="Gothalot"]Yes, thank you Janka, I gathered that. Radio is a fine idea but the paper will happen anyway. Its already moving ahead. We have a large group of print/publishing professionals already working on it as part of their 'gift' to the people of BRC. I will bring it up to the papers councel if the radio people are interested in a collaboration of course. So far no one has contacted me or Mitch (this years publisher)[/quote]

In English: collaboration is my purpose.

You are contacted.

Shall we dance?

--TC
The Count

Postby Gothalot » Thu May 05, 2005 1:45 pm

Stay tuned for exciting newspaper announcements! Rising from the ashes!
Gothalot

Coming soon

Postby Gothalot » Thu May 19, 2005 12:30 pm

I swear, The Publisher is trying to nail my coffin down and is threatning me with daylight if I blab anything yet.
Gothalot

-=Announcing the Black Rock Beacon=-

Postby Gothalot » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:35 pm

-=Announcing the Black Rock Beacon=-

From the dust of playa papers past comes the Black Rock Beacon, a new newspaper for the Burning Man community. Our gift to the community: an independent source of news and information to brighten your week in Black Rock City and a website to keep you up-to-date on Burning Man happenings the year round.

Although we are a brand-new publication, with no official ties to the Burning Man organization, our team has years of experience in producing daily newspapers on the playa. As you may know, Burning Man has announced that it will cease publication of the playa editions of the Black Rock Gazette, but we're betting that you still want to be informed and entertained by a Burner-created brand of journalism.

Please visit our website at www.blackrockbeacon.org and our message board at theblackrockbeacon.tribe.net. We welcome volunteers who want to help us create the most memorable publications ever to grace Black Rock City. Enthusiasm is more important than experience, and we have plenty of pre-playa work to do. We'll be a mapped camp as well, with our own Black Rock mansion as headquarters, and if you're looking for a place to stay, let us know.

Oh, and while we won't ask you to send us burritos or brewskies, we could use a bit of a financial aid. Donate what you can, every bit helps.
Sit back in the morning watching the sun rise with your cup of coffee and the latest copy of the Black Rock Beacon knowing it was YOU that helped make it happen! Contributors are asked to come by our camp and stick a pin on our Playa map and we’ll do our best to get their copies delivered right to their camp! What a deal!

By PayPal
Go to www.paypal.com
Logon (or create an account)
Click on the Send Money tab at the top.
Send money to "donations@blackrockbeacon.org"
(keep the PayPal electronic receipt for tax purposes)

Many thanks to those who have supported us. We hope to provide the Playa with one of the most exciting Playa papers to date. Writing is our art and our gift.
Gothalot

Return to 2005 Theme Camps