Frequently Asked Questions: Look here first.

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Postby robotland » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:25 am

Lovin' the upholstery analogy!

(I happen to be done in seamless Robohide.)
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby emily sparkle » Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:35 pm

AntiM wrote:As for the rest of me, like ulphostery, I spot-clean as needed. I much prefer a garden sprayer for deliacte cleansing than struggling wth a solar shower. So does my larry, because he gets to help.

high five antiM! you have just solved the we-can't-build-our-shower-structure-this-year issue bucky and i have been trying to figure out. thank you very much. never thought of that! it's one of those pump things they put bug spray in, right?

and... i love that it's interactive and participatory. *wink*
:) emily sparkle
eplaya administrator
___

mobilize, energize, motivate, INSPIRE ordinary people to do things to improve their quality of life.
- nobel peace prize winner, wangari maathai
emily sparkle

Postby AntiM » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:01 pm

It is indeed one of those bug spray thingies ... do get a brand spankin' new one to avoid unpleasant chemical surprises. We also have a bucket toilet, which when combined with the sprayer - voila- instant bidet. I LVOE it on so many levels. (grin-grin)

A smallish shot of white vinegar cuts the playa dust mighty well.

And we have a second sprayer too, it is hooked up to a misting system for a patio umbrella hooked on our bike canopy. Hand pumped mist on demand, could be useful in many areas.

We even have a tiny personal mister for the Jeep as we have no AC.

burners in the mist ... lala la lala
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Embracing Porta-Potties

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:03 am

Howdy Campers!
My name is RobbiDobbs, and I'm the Chief Poopervisor of the Pottie Project. The question that often gets put to me is (generically speaking)

How can I live well with porta-potties?

Many people have some reservations about the Temples of Smell. This is understandable in our post-modern society. The bottom line is they are generally well maintained. But the way to keep everyone's excremental experience a positive one each and every time is for US as PARTICIPANTS to keep them that way. Whatever you read about cooties on a toilet seat IS NOT TRUE! You are not doing anyone any favors by hovering over the toilet seat. What you are potentially doing is spraying the seat with YOUR EXCREMENT, making that unit un-useable until it is serviced, which can be up to 6 hours away. You've also made the next poor soul who innocently walks in there have a very bad experience.

PARK YER BUTT ON THE SEAT!

Secondly: we all know what goes in and what stays out. No tampons, cigarette butts, or other foreign debris can go in there. Everything that you throw in there must be screened out before the sewage can go to the garlic farms. By neglecting to adhere to the motto: Pack it in, pack it out, you are creating MORE toxic waste. Just put yer tampons in a ziplock and take it home to properly dispose of. Same goes with baby-wipes. They are made of cotton, not paper, and no matter what the label says, they get packed out too. I realize that last year we had an issue with toilet paper being stolen. If you're concerned about this possibility, then you are welcome to bring one ply paper (Scott brand fer instance). The double-ply, super strong, delightfully quilted type is just too darn sturdy to properly melt in the blue digestive liquid in the camodes.

Thirdly, (and I'm sure I'll think of more stuff later), is that we are all in this together, so if you would like to PARTICIPATE in educating others about the porta-pottie issue (and it IS mission-critical), or improving them (ex lighting), then by all means, join the pottie-list (at) burningman (dot) com.

Thank you for your participation,
RobbiDobbs clear
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
13 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby macgregor » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:23 am

I have searched everywhere and am wondering about three questions...

1. Shaving. Do people use electric shavers if they are going to shave? I probably won't shave at all. But there's the off chance some cute girl might want to steal a kiss from me, and i'd rather not tear up her upper lip with my sandpaper face. any good shavign techniques or advice?

2. Deoderant. Will it last through-out the afternoon? Do most people wear it, or simply go el naturale out on the playa?

3. Brushing my Teeth. What is the most effective way to do this out in the desert? I mean, with spitting and everything? I won't have a camper or a sink or anything...

I couldn't seem to find this info anywhere...
-- i don't think it's coincidence that my finger fits perfectly into my nose --
macgregor

Postby Chai Guy » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:47 am

1. Shaving. - I use a regular shaving razor, I heat up water on my camp stove. I guess a battery powered electric razor would work but I'm not sure if they would hold the charge for the week, so you would also need a way to charge the battery in the razor.

2. Deoderant- YES, PLEASE! I generally shower everyday, and then reapply deoderant (after giving my pits a good scrubbin with a baby wipe and a little dr. bonners soap and water) in the early evening before I go. Nothing turns of a potential partner like b.o. and I hate dancing next to some hippie that thinks patchoulie is a substitute for good hygine.

3. Brushing my Teeth.- Place toothpaste on brush, place tootbrush in mouth, brush teeth, spit into grey water container, rinse with clean water (not grey water) spit water into grey water container, repeat.
Chai Guy

Postby Lassen Forge » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:45 pm

macgregor wrote:I have searched everywhere and am wondering about three questions...

1. Shaving. Do people use electric shavers if they are going to shave? I probably won't shave at all. But there's the off chance some cute girl might want to steal a kiss from me, and i'd rather not tear up her upper lip with my sandpaper face. any good shavign techniques or advice?

2. Deoderant. Will it last through-out the afternoon? Do most people wear it, or simply go el naturale out on the playa?

3. Brushing my Teeth. What is the most effective way to do this out in the desert? I mean, with spitting and everything? I won't have a camper or a sink or anything...

I couldn't seem to find this info anywhere...

1 - Start a beard a month or 2 beforehand... I'd rather liplock with someone with a bushy face than sandpaper! ;~)

2- There is a multi-pronged approach to "au-naturel" cologne... One is shower daily, problem is finding water, but don't let the odor become overwhelming (read revolting) - regardless of what you've heard, a guy with 4 day old BO does *NOT* smell attractive.

This is an old trick - take a couple bottles of rubbing alcohol. Get a towlette wet with the stuff, and rub under your arms (or whereever the smell hits). It kills the bacteria that produces the, um, "manly aroma". And use deodorant. JUST because you're out in the desert doesn't mean you have to give up on personal hygiine. it won't get it all, but you will be bearable to be around.

3- Like CG said - works good. Here's one that sounds disgusting but people do it and it works - take your brush and paste and a small water bottle to one of those big blue thingys... brush your teeth as normal, using the h2o bottle to rinse, spit in the "facility" in the portapotty. Otherwise get a wide mouoth lexan bottle and use it for your "spittoon" and dump it out in the previously afforementioned facility, if the idea of brushing your teeth in a portapotty grosses you out.

4- You didn't ask but I'lll tell you. Invest in a good hair brush. Even if you have short hair. It'll help get some of the playa dust out of your hair. Easier than washing where water is gold.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Kinetic IV » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:57 pm

1: I have a Honda genny that I take to BM but on my Ozarks float trips I run a small power inverter off my car battery and charge an electric shaver from that. Usually the shavers hold a charge for a couple of days so I rarely have to use the charger.
2: I still haven't worked out a shower solution that's really good...this year it's even worse without having a trailer to haul stuff. But I use baby wipes, alcohol baths, a combination of things to get clean, and deodorant is a must. This is Burning Man, not the Rainbow gathering.
3: See Chai Guy's post.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby sputnik » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:18 pm

macgregor wrote:I have searched everywhere and am wondering about three questions...

1. Shaving. 3. Brushing my Teeth

My camp had a camping shower setup with an evap pond (which didn't evap much BTW). I showered about 4 times in the week I was there. I shaved and brushed my teeth every day using the same evap pond. Should have probably spit into a 5 gal bucket and taken it out.

macgregor wrote: 2. Deoderant. Will it last through-out the afternoon? Do most people wear it, or simply go el naturale out on the playa?

I wore it everyday.[/i]
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby robotland » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:02 am

I found a AA-battery powered shaver at MalWart (yeah, I know, EVIL! Mea Culpa....) that actually worked pretty darn well, and it was FIVE BUCKS. Even had a little groomer-thingie, and an integrated cleaning brush. Doubles as a, uh, neck massager.

For toothbrushing and assorted campsite cleanup I keep a splooge bucket with a lid and liner. Toothpaste, coffee grounds and such go in there. Keep in the shade! If you have a ratty old towel, use it to catch washwater and such and then hang in the sun to evap.- If kept dried out the funk will be minimal.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Suggestion!!!!!!!!

Postby pompatus » Mon May 16, 2005 6:48 pm

I will be a Burning Man virgin this year, but I haved camped all over the US and been in various climates and altitudes (not saying I am an expert and know all about the Burning Man experience) but I do have a few suggestions.

1.) Bring Amodium AD (the pills, not the gross liquid), you never know when you never know when you will get the "Hershey Squirts" and that will dehydrate you very quickly and can lead to a very dangerous electolyte embalance.

2.) Bring Condoms, (Assorted). Not saying that you will go planing to get laid, but anything can happen and it is better to be prepared. (Besides if you do not use the the can make good ballons) :lol:

3.) Dispose of your used condoms (or ballons) properly. TAKE THEM HOME WITH YOU. If they are used wrap them in TP and put them in a Zip-Loc bag and throw them away when you get home.

4.) Even though you are in the desert it will get cold at night (and sometimes durning the day) Keep your head warm at night or any time it is cold. Bogans work great (or any other knit cap).

5.) You do not have to conquor or see and do everything in the first day. PACE YOURSELF. Things get better with age, not everyone gets there on the first day and if they do the are going to be setting up and getting ready for the coming week. Help out if someone needs you, what goes around comes around. Karma. Good Vibes. Clean Spirit.
You get the drift :D

6.) We have a saying in Texas, if you dont like the weather, wait 5 minutes. It applies to the desert. Bring something waterproof just in case. Sudden downpours can happen with little notice.

pompatus

"People mock what they fear, and they fear what the do not understand" - Author Unknown
pompatus

Postby Silver 2 » Mon May 16, 2005 8:34 pm

4.) Even though you are in the desert it will get cold at night (and sometimes durning the day) Keep your head warm at night or any time it is cold. Bogans work great (or any other knit cap).

This is something I keep going on about. And is really important for folks from the South. It can get damned cold at night. And by Southern standards it does not get all that hot, the humidity is very low and seems much cooler than you think it is. Sweat that in AL, or the big thicket would hang around you will dry so fast that you will not notice that you are losing water and general salts (electolyte embalance).
I like playing with fire.
Silver 2

Postby shannon » Wed May 18, 2005 4:00 pm

I really look forward to a week of enjoying unadulterated adult fun, late nights, lazy siestas, a lot of the easy joys that children help us do without. I read that if I was sure I didn't want to be near children to camp away from kidcamp. I printed the map, and see where theme camps are based, but I can't seem to find the children epicenter. If I knew to the left or right from the entrance I could feel at ease that I wouldn't accidently be in the same area. I love children, especially mine, but, seeing a sunburned, or sad kid when I'm enjoying life really bogs my heart and psyche.

Q. Where's Kid Camp?
shannon sms
shannon

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 18, 2005 4:11 pm

(hope you don't mind shannon if I restate your question to fit in the informal format of this thread.)

Q--How do I find the location of "Kidsville" and other family friendly camps so I won't interfere with them by my decidely "adult" expression.

A--At this time (May) applications are still being taken for theme camps and space assignments have not been made. Expect a map to be linked to the main site in july or august. A copy will also be given to you at the gate by the greeters. This will allow you to know of the site of placed family friendly theme camps. However, the map is not the territory, and families may camp anywhere on the playa without being part of one of these camps. There has been talk of having adult zones, but I do not know if this practice has been implimented or will be this year. Be sensitive to the possiblities of culture clash and choose accordingly. Or try camping next to Jiffy Lube. If people are going to be offended, they will be so offended by JL that they will not even notice your transgressions.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby shannon » Thu May 19, 2005 8:01 am

I want to thank you Cryptofistist. That was educational, and I was worried that I had expressed myself in a non sensitive way, and I really appreciate you taking the time to soften the edges and really know what I meant by my ill phrased question.
shannon sms
shannon

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu May 19, 2005 8:12 am

(Shannon, no problem. You might also ask the gate and greeter staff--no guarentee they'll have the answer either.)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby we0ne » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:22 pm

Q: was wondering if anyone in this forum has been to BM with their kids, if so I would love to chat

Thanks
We0ne
we0ne

Postby unjonharley » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:25 pm

There is a camp named Kidsvill.
/Running to catch the last basket of the day
unjonharley

Toilet Paper Testing

Postby TheJudge » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:25 am

To see if your toilet paper will work in the porta potties, try this:

Fill a drinking glass half full with water.
Place 2 or three sheets of TP in the glass, cover and shake the glass for about 10 seconds.

If the paper dissolves in the water, it should be OK for the porta potties. If it clumps up into a really effective spitball you would probably throw up at a ceiling in a high-school gym, dont use that type of toilet paper in the porta potty.

Robbidobbs already said it, but one-ply works just fine. Also if it says "Safe for septic tanks" on the package, you should be good.

And if you happen to see one of the hard-working guys whose job it is to clean out the potty, be sure to say thanks. While 30,000 people are enjoying themselves in the hot summer sun, these guys are vaccuming shit for low pay.
"Be at one with the dust of the earth. This is primal union." - Lao Tsu
TheJudge

Postby MissNev » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:22 pm

We have a couple of wonderful fully enclosed Bivouac (sp?) showers. We've had different methods for evaporation, but hopefully this year will be a winner. Since we always bring too much water, we have been known to offer our showers to burners in need (though I must admit it's more for our pleasure...we like to watch).

The porta potty cleaners also love cold libations and food.
MissNev

Postby TheJudge » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:01 pm

I know its a pain in the ass to haul out there, but I'm of the belief that you really cant bring enough water. Water is always needed. And when its not, it makes great ammunition for the water cannons a few of us like to carry. If nothing else, dust suppression in front of the campsite is nice too.
"Be at one with the dust of the earth. This is primal union." - Lao Tsu
TheJudge

Re: Toilet Paper Testing

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:00 pm

To da Judge...

*MWAH!*
(that is a smooch in Cerebecian)
robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:27 pm

theCryptofishist wrote: A copy will also be given to you at the gate by the greeters.

Just a picky, picky clarification: "Gate" isn't "Greeters". The map is handed out at Greeters Station, just past Gate. Gate folks don't know anything about camp placement.

That's a good idea about JL. Anyone with kids would either not live anywhere near there, or have kids so jaded that its moot.
robbidobbs

Postby fetching » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:02 am

Question:

I've read about the weather that can spring up out of nowhere, and I am concerned about lightning. Is it safe to be in a tent during a lightning storm? Have there been any injuries in BM hsitory related to lightning? and what if you are out away from camp and a lightning storm rolls in before you have a chance to get back, what do you do to protect yourself?
fetching

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:59 am

Same that you do anywhere, get close to the ground--I assume. I'm also guessing that with the Mountains, the communications tower and the high platforms that some camps build that there are likelier targets. As for "safe in tents" there was that boy scout case in the past couple of weeks, but we are talking about a tent in an open field, where it was the highest thing. Don't take my word for it, I'm not fully informed. If no one else chimes in, find some advise on the web or in a camping book. I don't know how common lighting is on playa.

Edited to add, I've never heard of an event injury related to lightning. IN fact, if it's pre-burn the man is the highest thing in the area. What if the lightining set him off?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby unjonharley » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:31 am

Most tents have little or no metal in them. Shade structures metal gos to the ground(that's a good thing). Hiting the man would make for a hell of a bang. As for walking in open playa. Same as any other storm. Don't do it. The boy scout thing was a electric line they touched. In a strom don't hang around towers or other tall objects. Some one please find the right person to ask about lighting strikes on the playa.
unjonharley

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:42 am

unjonharley wrote: The boy scout thing was a electric line they touched. .
Different incident. (Maybe god hates the boyscouts...) in California. Scout master in a tent killed and the scouts themselves did cpr for an hour (impressive) to get someone to the hospital. It was the week after the fiasco back east...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby fetching » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:45 pm

unjonharley wrote:Most tents have little or no metal in them.

my understanding is that lightning seeks out water, and our bodies are made of water, so lightning will try to seek us out.
fetching

are sandals possible?

Postby babsy » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:36 pm

this will be my first time out in that there desert and have gotten the message that i don't want playa foot.... and that i should do daily or better foot washes with vinegar and lots of lotion and clean socks.... i'm allll over that.

BUT - has anyone maintained daytime wering of sandals without getting playa foot? i can wear shoes at night, but the thought of closed up feet in the day is so sad for me. is it even possible to be all sandal-y in the day or am i foolin' myself? like does every veteran know that you don't dare wear open shoes for more than a few moments?

thx,
babs
babsy

Re: are sandals possible?

Postby unjonharley » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:51 pm

babsy wrote:this will be my first time out in that there desert and have gotten the message that i don't want playa foot.... and that i should do daily or better foot washes with vinegar and lots of lotion and clean socks.... i'm allll over that.

BUT - has anyone maintained daytime wering of sandals without getting playa foot? i can wear shoes at night, but the thought of closed up feet in the day is so sad for me. is it even possible to be all sandal-y in the day or am i foolin' myself? like does every veteran know that you don't dare wear open shoes for more than a few moments?

thx,
babs

~
I wear sandal with socks all the time. I wash/soak my feet in the mid day(helps cool me down) Dry them real good and air them awhile then lotion air dry again,socks and sandals and off you go. Wash, dry, lotion and socks to bed. Your feet will be happy and soft in the mornng. Then more lotion, clean, socks and sandals. Your ready for a good day. Low cut ankle sock To save having many pairs of sock I wash mine.
unjonharley

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks