East Bay - are interesting enough?

Postby Bigge » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:35 pm

a little background on me. I am a graphic designer who works for a fairly large weekly newspaper. My career goal is to be a writer and about an hour before my first posting, I had a talk with the editor about freelancing for my paper. I got real excited because this was an open door for me. I was racking my brain for story ideas while taking my editor's advice about keeping the story regionally based and with a compelling subject (ie. a person).

Burningman was on my mind as a potential story idea but i didn't have a topic. I automatically came back to my desk and signed up on eplaya and made my three postings. i didn't know where to post my thread and I admit that i didnt read the TOS before i started using eplaya. i apologize for that. i guess that is a really big deal or at least it seems like a big deal after seeing where this thread went. if i knew it was going to get people so upset I surely would not have done it.

I was just suprised at how upset those first few postings were. All i needed was a little guidance and i felt that what I got was a real attitude. i got defensive and once again, i apologize.

So with that, i hope I can redeem myself somehow with badger and sensai. i guess I'll just lurk for a while so i can pick up the proper netiquette on this board. Oh and lets not forget my origianl reason for starting this thread. if you know of anyone in the East Bay who could be the focus of a longish human interest story, feel free to email me. Peace.

Bigge
Bigge

Postby bullD » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:58 pm

RJack, ((((bear hug)))), good to see you as well.

the OP's comic complaint was an emotional reaction to the snowball of slinging, that is being human after all. in other words, yes the OP IMO was out of line as well but was it all necessary? laws are laws and those laws are changed all the time but are we all required to study law just to get along in the world? IMO, it's no different here. we have instilled in us a sense of right and wrong through the love and guidance of our parents or elders. again IMO, it's no different here, or shouldn't be.
bullD

Postby Chai Guy » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:50 pm

Hey Bigge,

I for one appreciate and accept your apology. I also understand where you are coming from and I can see how you were excited about the project and wanted to jump in with both feet.

To give you some perspective about the reactions you illicited, it's no different than any other social situation, say if you barged into a conversation at a party what do you think the reaction might be? Or if you started speaking loudly in a library?

Your thinking is that you only made one small mistake, but for the people who are here everyday, we have to deal with it frequently, and it get's tiresome.

Good luck with your article!
Chai Guy

Postby Sensei » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:18 pm

Bigge, you're alright by me, kiddo. Remember what I said about laughing like hyenas about this someday? That didn't take too goddamned long now, did it?

BUT I'M KEEPING THE SIG LINE! I just love it so much. Seriously, I get misty when I see it. Which is how I ruined Rian's pants....
Sensei

Postby Badger » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:04 pm

So with that, i hope I can redeem myself somehow with badger and sensai.

Please, don't lurk on my account. As for redemption....

For my part I believe in the forgiveness of sin and the redemption of ignorance.
Adlai E. Stevenson
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Kinetic IV » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:12 pm

Bigge wrote:=So with that, i hope I can redeem myself somehow with badger and sensai.

If you find a way to accomplish that please let me know. I've been trying for months....no years. Who was that patron saint of lost causes again?

Question: Do you work for the East Bay Express / New Times? I was wondering if you were the other New Times hit on my blog tracker...one is a Pitch reporter that I'm having it out with over a Xanga article, I was wondering if you were the second?
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby Badger » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:15 pm

Saint Dymphna?
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Sensei » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:23 pm

She's good alright, but she might need to put in a little overtime on this one.
Sensei

Postby Kinetic IV » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:25 pm

Saint Jude Thaddeus, actually. But even though I could have taken offense I have to admit that was a good one Badger. A quick Google search enlightened me. I am happy to report that I won't be calling on Saint Dymphna anytime soon.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby bullD » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:28 am

beating a dead horse? maybe, but a follow up to yesterdays conversation none the less:

I read the CG and TOS agreements/contracts/rules/laws last night. yeah for me huh? nothing earth shattering to report here, as I'm sure those of you who HAVE read will attest to.

I will say again and in addition, will ask everybody in my bestest brotherly voice:

please, when a newb steps over boundary's, try to use common sense, recognition, and a little compassion. if that fails and the newb consciously continues to disregard, please let a moderator handle it, that is why they exist, right?
bullD

Postby Rian Jackson » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Hey Bigge, thanks for the apology. It goes a really long way - often all the way - toward getting in people's good graces 'round here.

(BTW, One of the things you'll learn if you stick around long enough here is that this group loves to take the piss, which was laced through the chiding you got.)

Unfortunately, I'm not even in the right state (that is, CA) to aid you.

And hey, bullD, you sexy thing, don't you dare get that lovey dovey hippie shit around me, m'kay? Otherwise I'm going to call you Kanuckistani and ship you off north.

feckin hippie.
surlier than thou
Rian Jackson

Postby bullD » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:42 am

loverly Rian, I've got yer hippy right here (grabs self)... until we are face-to-face I will leave you wondering where the grabbing of self occured.
he he he

Bigge, did you get your story yet? if not, does it have to be a person from the east bay? and what type of longish human intereest story are we talking about here?
bullD

yadda yadda yadda

Postby Reeve » Mon May 02, 2005 10:57 am

Good lordy loo! who gives a flying fack if biggie crossposted...TOS is for those who conform....you should slap yerself...BM IS non conformist or lest it was supposed to be....so shut ye trap ..and let the man speak

Biggie! email me off list for help with what your seeking.. u can write me at oaktownrocks@hotmail.com

Cheers from Oaktown!
Reeve
"its piss clear not piss forever!"
Reeve

Previous

Return to 2005 Theme Camps