East Bay - are interesting enough?

East Bay - are interesting enough?

Postby Bigge » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:29 pm

Hello burners. I miss you all and look forward to returning to BRC after a year away.

So I am working for an alternative weekly newspaper in the East Bay of San Francisco and I would like to pitch a story idea to my editors about burningman. But the key is, i need an idea and it needs to be based on a person who lives in the East Bay. Basically i need an interEsting subject to write a story about.

Are you building something in the east bay? Are you part of a group using a warehouse in Oakland? What is interesting about your situation? Are you part of Borg2? What are you doing to prepare for the burn in 149 days?

I am looking for fresh story ideas. Something that is new and never seen before. My paper has a very large circulation and it would be widely distributed all throughout the bay area. I am a new reporter and would love to write about my favorite subject: Burningman?

So feel free to email me if you have any leads or ideas. Cant wait to see you all on the playa!!

withmuch love,
Bigge
Bigge

Postby Badger » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:30 pm

Double post dude. knock that shit off.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

chilly willy

Postby Bigge » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:34 pm

im just trying to find a subject. relax guy. all is good in the world
Bigge

Postby Badger » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:38 pm

all is good in the world

All's even better when you read the FAQs re. cross-posting.

Have a go - bro.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

wow

Postby Bigge » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:55 pm

i am brand new to the board. this was my first thread. i wasnt sure where to post it so i posted my request in a few places. amazingly i get attitude from someone. i guess its hard to bring that kind, loving burningman feeling to our everyday world. some people just have to be jerks. thanks
Bigge

Postby Sensei » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:11 pm

Bigge, thanks for being that 'jerk'.

You're welcome.
Sensei

huh?

Postby Bigge » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:18 pm

explain to me please.
Bigge

Postby stuart » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:30 pm

read the FAQ before you start. It's part of the social contract around here.
after reading the FAQ you would have found that crossposting violates said social contract.

to Jerk I add Lazy and self centered.
call me baby
stuart

Postby Bigge » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:50 pm

wow, make sure to tell us all where you are camping this year so i will be sure to stay away from that buzz kill corner of the playa. i am actually really amazed at the attitude i am receiving on this message board. ive been called a jerk, lazy and self centered. its too bad.

you could have just easily said: "Hey i saw that you are new to the board. just so you know, you arent supposed to post the same message twice. But welcome to the board anyway - glad to have you."

now wouldnt that have been a nicer more humane way to tell me i made a mistake? but instead i get pure attitude. it bums me out that this happen. i was just looking for a good story idea so i can promote this event in the way it needs to be promoted, not by reporting about the deaths, drugs and negative issues that most media outlets key in on.
Bigge

Re: wow

Postby Sensei » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:17 pm

Bigge wrote: some people just have to be jerks. thanks

Pot meet kettle, as the kids say. You ignored the TOS, then took an attitude when you were told to stop it.

Now, you're "actually really amazed at the attitude" you're receiving here... I'm not surprised.

IF you hang around awhile, AND learn the lay of the land (start by re-reading the TOS), I'm sure we can all laugh like hyenas about this someday.

Then again, I'm a fuckin' hippie.
Sensei

Postby Bigge » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:38 pm

you really know how to make a newbie feel at home. ah can you feel the burningman vibe? no wonder people complained after last year, its people like sensai who are ruining this event. where are the good vibes, people? i made a mistake and get flamed over it. geesh, youd think this community would be helpful and understanding and willing to teach those who need it. But instead you get name calling.

i wish i got some serious replies to my original posting which was for east bay burners to show up and discuss with me, whats going on to prepare for the playa in the oakland area. instead i get rule watchers looking to make a newbie feel stupid. good job guys. i am officially over you three. where are the real, positive people on this board?
Bigge

Postby gigglesnort » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:54 pm

I gotcher burning man vibe right here! Hey Sensai, I'm real positive about you, baby. Here sweets, take some of these good vibes, I've got extra. *smooch*

Go figure!
gigglesnort

Re: wow

Postby Kinetic IV » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:11 pm

[quote="Bigge"]i am brand new to the board. this was my first thread. i wasnt sure where to post it so i posted my request in a few places. amazingly i get attitude from someone. i guess its hard to bring that kind, loving burningman feeling to our everyday world. some people just have to be jerks. thanks[/quote]

Welcome to the eplaya. Don't let a few asshats scare you off, but they did touch on a point that our rules strongly discourage cross posting. That's why you caught flak. The critics could have taken a nicer approach but perhaps considering their history of such things they won't. It's also the kind of attitude that I hoped with all the new changes would also go away...there's a proper way to educate someone about policy and procedure, and then you have the assholic way as graphically demonstrated above. In any event I hope you stay and contribute here...also check out those three smilies below a poster's name. One of them lets you plonk or ignore someone. It's a very nice feature.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby Sensei » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:53 pm

Bigge wrote: its people like sensai who are ruining this event.

After six fucking years, I'VE FINALLY FOUND A SIG LINE!

Thanks Bugger! However, you misspelled "Sensei"; don't worry, I've made the correction.
Sensei

Postby the_iconoclast » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:36 pm

Bigge wrote:you really know how to make a newbie feel at home. ah can you feel the burningman vibe? no wonder people complained after last year, its people like sensai who are ruining this event. where are the good vibes, people? i made a mistake and get flamed over it. geesh, youd think this community would be helpful and understanding and willing to teach those who need it. But instead you get name calling.

i wish i got some serious replies to my original posting which was for east bay burners to show up and discuss with me, whats going on to prepare for the playa in the oakland area. instead i get rule watchers looking to make a newbie feel stupid. good job guys. i am officially over you three. where are the real, positive people on this board?

Hmm... I am a newbie here also. Amazingly, I have never had bad vibes sent in my direction... Hell, I am so newbie that this year is my first Burning Man, yet I have been able to interact without shit-slinging in either direction. The BM community as I have experienced it here on the ePlaya has been very open and helpful when asked questions. Yes, there is some sarcasm and a few smart-asses, but, um, reality check - all boards have them and is you don't go uber-defensive psycho boy, one can see the latent humor. As far as the reaction to your cross-posting in,what is it up to, 3 areas(?), the first one I read I thought "Cool! Sounds like a good story line!" By the time I saw the third one the thought had become "Give it a fucking rest..." FAQ's aside, most people who have any semblance of a clue about Netiquette know that cross-posting is considered rude. Also, after re-reading the posts, whining about name calling seems pretty weak coming from the person who started it. In sequence:
Badger wrote:Double post dude. knock that shit off.

Bigge wrote:im just trying to find a subject. relax guy. all is good in the world

Badger wrote:
all is good in the world

All's even better when you read the FAQs re. cross-posting.

Have a go - bro.

Bigge wrote:i am brand new to the board. this was my first thread. i wasnt sure where to post it so i posted my request in a few places. amazingly i get attitude from someone. i guess its hard to bring that kind, loving burningman feeling to our everyday world. some people just have to be jerks. thanks

While it is true that Badger could have said it somehow differently, all that was said was - stop crossposting. Subsequent response from you was fairly condesending. After that, for one, I expected to see the term "asshat" used, but instead, Badger still responded with a straight forward response, basically - read the FAQ's. It was here that we get stiff sarcasm and name calling. It would have been just as simple, as the "newbie", for you to have responded after the first admonition - Sorry dude, didn't read the FAQ's... Just trying to find a subject. Any suggestions?" People who have a couple of thousand posts might be able to offer an idea of where you should post.

Badger, Sensei and the rest aren't at fault for the direction the thread took. You are. Accept the truth and start over. To zero in on one person and say something like "its people like sensai who are ruining this event" seems rather juvenile coming from the first "name caller".

That being said - thus making it water under the bridge - Welcome tothe ePlaya. There are certain rules and guidlines that are adhered to as part of proper Netiquette. It is wise to lurk for a bit to get the feel of the board and read the FAQs before posting. Some people are more sensitive than others and doing those things will help assure a positive atmosphere on the board. As with any other social situation - play by the house rules and all will be well..

I am now shutting up and taking my ball and going home...
the_iconoclast

Postby spectabillis » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:40 pm

*sigh*
spectabillis

Postby Elemental666 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:37 pm

spectabillis wrote:*sigh*

Agreed and seconded!!!!

*sigh*

the only worse than someone breaking the TOS is a flamewar about it...

points made, move on people
Elemental666

Postby Badger » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:57 am

i guess its hard to bring that kind, loving burningman feeling to our everyday world.

I'm still trying to figure this one out.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Kinetic IV » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:10 am

Why am I not suprised by that last one? Anyway...perhaps there's something to be gained here. Are the TOS and CG's easy enough to find and to wade through for newbies? Hmmmm...I'll look at that from a curious non-empowered (he has no eplaya authority) outsider perspective...it might be something the ETF could fix with a simple link shuffling or replacement on the page. If it heads off future flamewars it's a worthy cause.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:38 am

Sensei wrote:

Thanks Bugger! However, you misspelled "Sensei"; don't worry, I've made the correction.

May I suggest: It's people like Sensei who are running this event. Off by one!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:42 am

"Are you interesting enough?" might raise a rew hackles on its own. Most of us find ourselves endlessly fascinating.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby spectabillis » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:46 am

Kinetic IV wrote:Are the TOS and CG's easy enough to find and to wade through for newbies? Hmmmm...I'll look at that from a curious non-empowered (he has no eplaya authority) outsider perspective...it might be something the ETF could fix with a simple link shuffling or replacement on the page. If it heads off future flamewars it's a worthy cause.

I replied to this here viewtopic.php?p=154097#154097 to move things out of the fire.
spectabillis

Postby Rian Jackson » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:02 pm

Goddamn Sensei, you're always ruining my events. Oh wait..

I thought Badger was being perfectly cordial. It's not his fault if you're slow - er, I mean deliberately refuse to take helpful direction.
surlier than thou
Rian Jackson

Postby Rian Jackson » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:22 pm

Oh Jeebuz. I just read what I wrote earlier as 'you're always running in my pants.'

That's terrible.
surlier than thou
Rian Jackson

.........................................<blip>.......

Postby Last Real Burner » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:22 pm

MOMMY!!!!! Sensei is ruining my event again!!!!

ImageImage
Last Real Burner

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:40 pm

Rian Jackson wrote:Oh Jeebuz. I just read what I wrote earlier as 'you're always running in my pants.'

That's terrible.
Off by very very many.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby bullD » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:55 pm

Badger wrote:Double post dude. knock that shit off.

children make mistakes. an explanation or point in the right direction goes a long way towards reaching an understanding rather than a reaction that, say, one of our parents would unleash on us.

"dammitt Doug, knock that shit off!"

I heard that a bunch as a child and was often left wondering why what I was doing was wrong... I catch myself from time to time doing the lash out without making clear why I'm lashing out song and dance. I apologize when I do catch myself.

By the way, I have never read the users agreements which are the TOS and CG? hmmmm, I wonder how many users here have indeed read them?

common sense, recognition, and a little compassion I say...

disclaimer: Badger, you fukin furry creature you, I'm not zeroing in on you, just using this little thread as an example. a little funny for you and all else, crank it up:

http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/
bullD

strange...

Postby emily sparkle » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:05 pm

couldn't get the two topics with replies to merge together for some reason.

Tiara wrote:Bigge,

I'd suggest that you get out to one of the zillions of events in the East Bay and meet the folks there doing such amazing things. Look for events at the Crucible, or NIMBY. Check the calendar at squidlist. Read the event announcements in Jack Rabbit Speaks. Get on the SF/Bay Area Burning Man announcement list.

If this is your job and your story, shouldn't you be out there pursuing your angle?
:) emily sparkle
eplaya administrator
___

mobilize, energize, motivate, INSPIRE ordinary people to do things to improve their quality of life.
- nobel peace prize winner, wangari maathai
emily sparkle

Postby Rian Jackson » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:10 pm

While you have a point, bullD (good to see you btw) I'm pretty sure your parents didn't have a TOS for some of those things posted for you. Had one of their main rules been 'no pulling your sister's hair' and you persisted in doing it, I think it would have been perfectly reasonable for them to be a little upset that you kept up with an action that you knew not to do.

Last I checked, users were presented with a form asking if they agreed to the TOS when they created an account. Or am I remembering wrong? Hell, I read them.

I think a lot of the issues here come from people who believe that the eplaya community is here to provide them with certain things. They become consumers. It's an entitlement thing.

So yeah, double posting, not a huge deal. But remember when that was happening with BORG2, how difficult it became to keep the discussion clear?

The OP in this case failed to read community standards (maybe he/she thought there was no actual community to respect?). Not the end of the world. But his/her complaint just becomes comic when it was his/her overreaction to direction that caused people to poke fun in the first place. Anyone who is so blind that they think Sensei is the problem at BM, or that doesn't even know not to double post, should probably wait before slinging shit.

Just sayin'.
surlier than thou
Rian Jackson

Postby HughMungus » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:13 pm

Sensei wrote:

hahahhahahaha
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Next

Return to 2005 Theme Camps