Welcome back e-Playa, I missed you!

Solar

Postby Fireweed » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:47 am

Traveling solar panels.

I spoke to a few burners last year that I noted had these hooked up.
They found them off the net in any green source.
I have a neighbor that hooked one up to an outdoor hydroponic garden and zen fountain, it's significant, but impressive...the green way to go and you got all that sun...harness that energy baby!

Fireweed Lupine Bear
Hello fellow Burners, Happy to be here
Fireweed

Postby Bronwen » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:51 am

Fireweed, we had been discussing possibly making wind turbines and had also considered solar but were a bit scared off by the cost of it. Any idea what it cost your friends? I'm pretty sure no one would gift solar stuff....
Bronwen

Postby actiongrl » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:54 am

Good hearted suggestion: scale your ideas back to what you can afford to do on your own. Your current tack puts you in a time-honored position of setting yourselves up to spend more time flailing with the struggle of pulling off what you have heard you're "supposed" to do out there than getting out into the city, meeting people, and getting beyond the idea that your camp is all you have to offer. Why not pitch in with another camp that already has some of these resources you desire, or just bring a few things you can scrounge/obtainium/afford and throw your energies into volunteering as a similarly wonderful way to offer something to BRC and make new friends?

One of the central tenets of the community is self-sufficiency, which is doubtless why you are seeing some snarky responses to your sig line and continued requests for donations.

Just a thought.
actiongrl

Postby Bronwen » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:03 pm

actiongrl wrote:Good hearted suggestion: scale your ideas back to what you can afford to do on your own. Your current tack puts you in a time-honored position of setting yourselves up to spend more time flailing with the struggle of pulling off what you have heard you're "supposed" to do out there than getting out into the city, meeting people, and getting beyond the idea that your camp is all you have to offer. Why not pitch in with another camp that already has some of these resources you desire, or just bring a few things you can scrounge/obtainium/afford and throw your energies into volunteering as a similarly wonderful way to offer something to BRC and make new friends?

One of the central tenets of the community is self-sufficiency, which is doubtless why you are seeing some snarky responses to your sig line and continued requests for donations.

Just a thought.

HI Actiongirl

I have a question related to another thread before I respond here. What is JRS?

Okay now onto your comments:
1) We will only do what we can to set up a camp but at this point we are simply discussing options, not making any decisions. We'd definitely rather bring "green" energy than have to run generators, but we'll do what we must in the long run.

2) We definitely have fallen into the position of trying to do what we're "supposed" to. Definitions seem to vary on that one from what we think we should/would like to be doing, and what the long-time burners think. Unfortunately few give constructive criticism but rather like to flame the new ones with possibly unrealistic but none-the-less good intentioned dreams. It's hard to make everyone happy and sometimes feels like trying is a losing cause.

3) We have put out the word that we would definitely be interested in getting involved with other camps/groups to pool resources because our primary focus is simply to make cool structures. So far the response has been tepid at best. Maybe I'm going about it wrong, which is entirely possible.

4) Once the structures are up and going, we do intend to get out on the playa and go with the flow ASAP. I will likely volunteer at ice camp and have already offered services to Hot Wheels camp. Last year it took me too long to let go of "real" life to really enjoy BM which is why I am trying a different tack this year.

5) The snarky remarks: I understand the whole self-sufficiency thing, but I also understand that gifting and sharing are very large parts of BM. Our group hasnt asked for financial assistance, or for valuable items but simply put it out there that SHOULD anyone have any of this stuff lying around in the way, we'd appreciate it. Conversely, if we had something that someone else needed, we would gladly donate it, and have. This trade off seems integrally connected to self-sufficiency to me, especially in cases where people are putting in lots of sweat equity but have little cash. I see lots of posts all the time asking for bits of this and that, which often do not result in the superior and snarky remarks. Maybe I need to find another way to phrase things or just give up on the goodwill and generosity notion. It is fast looking like a figment of the imagination....
Bronwen

Postby Chai Guy » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:27 pm

Our group hasnt asked for financial assistance, or for valuable items but simply put it out there that SHOULD anyone have any of this stuff lying around in the way, we'd appreciate it.

Really?

viewtopic.php?t=8022&highlight=

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:30 am Post subject:

Here I am! Your dream manager. I'm based in San Diego. Where are you? I am actively trying to recruit volunteers for all facets of a theme camp. I am also actively trying to find funding for such a camp. At the moment I am pitching it to local firms. Wanna talk about the idea? !

And didn't your sig line request $$ before? Just checking.
Chai Guy

Postby Bronwen » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:00 pm

Chai, you ARE stalking me!

And I am trying to find funding for the camp but not from the general public or from people here. It says clearly, I am talking to local firms, and also to my school.

The person who posted the thread you took the quote from was looking for a camp to join and I thought we might be able to work something out. I dont see how its a problem to want to share resources.
Bronwen

Postby Nightterror » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:07 pm

sniff....... sniff....... .......ffins .........ffins sniffffff....... snniiiifffff.......... commerce snifF sniff commerce sniff COMMERCE COMMERCE
I express my excitement by brutally interrogating whomever is nearby
Nightterror

Postby Chai Guy » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:19 pm

"Our group hasnt asked for financial assistance..."

"I am also actively trying to find funding for such a camp."

Sorry, I was confused.

I thought your sig line was asking for $$ too because I tried to copy it as closely as I could. Did you change it to to remove the $$ recently? Or am I remembering it wrong?
Chai Guy

Solar Panels

Postby Fireweed » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:05 pm

Check out MrSolar.com

I know its a stretch and an investment,
but there's even info on turbine, give it a look,
Hope it all works out
Fireweed
Hello fellow Burners, Happy to be here
Fireweed

Re: Solar Panels

Postby mamagrrl » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:49 pm

...and talk to AEZ if you really get serious about turbines.
Turbines are noisy (unless you get the expensive ones), need a tower with sturdy guywires and are a pain to get up and down.
Set it up wrong and the turbine is now a flying-vanes-of-death... which could be amusing, depending on which direction it heads in.

Solar rocks, but pricey! (batteries, panels, cable, charge controller, battery containment, panel stand/s...)
mamagrrl

Postby Bronwen » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:26 pm

Thanks for the tips Fireweed and Mamagrrl. I'll definitely keep the stuff about turbines in mind. I havent seen one in person that I know of (not wind-driven anyway) so my point of reference is a textbook. Solar is really fascinating but I know its way expensive, and you can see the reaction in this forum by some because I am not able to afford to build these things from my personal bank account. (The snide remarks and extraordinary displays of judgemental cynicism nearly made me lose faith in whatever Burning Man is "supposed to be about".) It makes me appreciate the good-intentioned and helpful remarks all the more. So thanks again! :oops:
Bronwen

Postby bullD » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:24 pm

eh hem,,, eeaaassssyyyyy.

two wrongs don't make a right,
an eye for an eye means two less eyes,
fighting fire with fire leaves things crispy...
bullD

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:14 am

JRS=Jack Rabbit Speaks--bm newsletter
http://burningman.com/blackrockcity_yea ... lists.html
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Bronwen » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:58 am

Thanks for the link Crypto.
Bronwen

Previous

Return to 2005 Theme Camps