Rest In Peace

All things outside of Burning Man.

Rest In Peace

Postby actiongrl » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:37 pm

A thread where you can post about your loved ones lost.
actiongrl

Postby actiongrl » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:41 pm

I lost a friend this week. The friend who brought me to Burning Man, who named me Actiongrl. We were in a band together, and he was a bright light in this world.

I am in shock and I wanted to commemorate him here, and spread the word in case there are others who knew him. He was found dead in his home, and the cause is unknown.

RIP Thomas Richard Morgan

RIP too, his girlfriend, Rebecca Gaines, also found dead.
actiongrl

Postby emily sparkle » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:45 pm

my uncle died today. i wish him a safe passing. i wish his son, my (adopted) brother, strength.

thanks ag. for this thread. i'm sorry for your loss.
emily sparkle

Postby spectabillis » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:47 pm

whoa... sorry for both of you two.
spectabillis

Postby Last Real Burner » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:48 pm

Ditto...
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".
Last Real Burner

Postby actiongrl » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:25 pm

aw Em, I'm so sorry. Hugs to you. Nothing on earth feels like losing a loved one, but especially, i'm guessing, if there are dependent loved ones left behind to pick up the pieces.
actiongrl

Postby Badger » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:29 am

錆は決して眠らない。
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Martiansky » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:51 pm

Rest in peace Pope John Paul II.

You will always be a great inspiration for the World.

God Bless you and God welcome you into His Kingdom with open arms.
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs
Martiansky

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Badger » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:18 pm

I'm just wishing that death had a two-for-one thing going on today. Ideally, Ratzinger would have clocked out at about the same time.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby unjonharley » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:05 pm

_______
/Running to catch the last basket of the day
unjonharley

Postby Elemental666 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:25 am

Just a feeler for y'all

I building a temple to house an alter for my best friend who passed in Feb, his name was Nasu (some of you may know him). Anyway, the temple is basically a 12' radius dome and will have 3-4 partitioned area inside. 2 of the areas have set purposes the other 1-2 are still open for ideas. I was thinking of maybe making one a room for an altar for anyone to leave something in rememberance of their lost loved ones. If its not too much stuff we'd probably pack up the stuff that was left on this altar and place it in the temple for the burning of the man. Was just a thought as right now the only people to feel any kind of connection with this temple would be friends and aquaintances of Nasu. With this other altar in place it would open particiapation to a greater number of people. Anyhow, thoughts and suggestions requested....

My condolences to those who have lost someone recently.
Elemental666

Postby Will » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:08 pm

Badger wrote:I'm just wishing that death had a two-for-one thing going on today. Ideally, Ratzinger would have clocked out at about the same time.

Heh. Long live Pope Benny the 16th!
Will

Postby Lassen Forge » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:30 pm

To drift back on topic...

We're trying to figure out a suitable memorial for our folks - I lost my mom 32 years ago on the 13th, my dad passed a couple years ago, my dad-in-law a few years ago and my other mom a year ago last March 1st... It's been a hard few years for us, and kind of want to do something special for their memories... any ideas?

TIA,
BBS
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Isotopia » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:01 pm

Heh. Long live Pope Benny the 16th!

Ratzinger=Benedict XVI

Yeh, well no question about it. He's been a dick alright.
Isotopia

Postby unjonharley » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:28 pm

New Yorks Cad. Law Was in the running wasn't he? He is hiding in Rome. He'll like the little boys there.
unjonharley

Postby spectabillis » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:07 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:We're trying to figure out a suitable memorial for our folks ... and kind of want to do something special for their memories... any ideas?

Were you talking in general, or bman releated?
spectabillis

Postby Kinetic IV » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:59 pm

There's not a damn thing wrong with Benedict XVI....yet. The guy hasn't even had a chance to get accustomed to wearing the Fisherman's Ring and everyone thinks he's going to do this or do that. A look back at John Paul II's reign shows conclusively that once a pope takes power, they don't always stick to the script and can often go in unexpected directions. Ratzinger may turn out to be the downfall of the modern church...that's true. But until he actually does something, give the man an open mind. He may surprise us all in many different ways.

As for Cardinal Law, what he did was wrong beyond question. But doesn't the guy deserve the chance to make amends? He's not the one that was guilty of doing the molestation....and for those guys there are no second chances. From what I've read about it Law was simply trying to protect the interests of the church. He made bad decisions...as we all have. Give him a chance at redemption.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby Das Bus » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:12 am

Kinetic IV wrote:As for Cardinal Law, what he did was wrong beyond question. But doesn't the guy deserve the chance to make amends?

OUCH! I have to disagree with you on this one - "two wrongs don't make a right." And he's had plenty of opportunities to 'make amends', he has just chosen not to do so. It's between him and his maker now.

Now, back on topic: If anyone here is going to the AZ Regional Burn, Toast!, there will be a pet memorial to honor our lost furry ones.

As for humans, in '02, I brought my mothers' urn with her ashes and pushed her around the playa in my shopping cart. I introduced her to everyone we came across. On the night of the Burn, I tied glowsticks around her so no one would trip over her as she sat next to me on the playa. I think she had a good time.

But then again, I'm a little insane...

: )
Medicated and Motivated!
Das Bus

Postby Kinetic IV » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:58 am

When I wrote that I was having thoughts that in America, even our fundamentally flawed corrections system offers criminals chances at redemption and works to return some people to a rightful place in society. If people who were convicted of worse crimes than the things Cardinal Law committed are allowed to return to society....why can't Cardinal Law be given the same treatment? There's no doubt he's already paid a price for what he did...a high price. But when does the punishment stop? How much longer do people have to keep piling it on him? Vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord...and when I look at this I see a man that paid the price for his mistake and people continue to dogpile him...essentally they are taking vengeance into their own hands. In my mind enough is enough. He lost his status, he's had to leave the country...he paid his price and the Vatican pulled him close so the Curia could work on rehabilitating him. And they can tap into his skills to fix the broken processes instead of casting him to the side....it seems to be a better strategy than ex-communication and leaving him to end his days in shame. Who benefits from that besides a handful of people with their own agendas or anger they really need to get rid of anyway?
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:51 am

Kinetic IV wrote:When I wrote that I was having thoughts that in America, even our fundamentally flawed corrections system offers criminals chances at redemption and works to return some people to a rightful place in society. If people who were convicted of worse crimes than the things Cardinal Law committed are allowed to return to society....why can't Cardinal Law be given the same treatment?

The whole "penatentiary" thing was started by quakers, wasn't it?
I don't know what you mean by "worse crimes" but abuse of the power of an institution to retain the power of the institution is often as fundmentally violent as murder and rape. At times it is murder and rape--although at few degrees away from the orderer of the crime, who gets to smile and pretend that there's no blood on the hand. Personally, I find that betraying the trust of others in a way that seriously limits the freedom and joy of those weaker than you--especially when you are claiming to be "better" and "more moral" than the rest of the world, or at least the most moral way to exist--is a very serious crime. It's easy to focus on mass murderers for instance, but in ways not instructive. I want to see Union Carbide and Enron and the Inquisition in the Dock. Crimes against Humanity in the first and third case. . .

IMHO>
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby spectabillis » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:10 pm

BTW: if anyone is interested, the Pope discussion now has its own topic here - viewtopic.php?t=8508&highlight=
spectabillis

Postby calsur » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:26 am

Bay Bridge Sue

Maybe you can attach something symbolic of your losses to the Man to be burned? Just a though.
calsur

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:50 am

I was thinking of that, kinda... or maybe at the temple... Might do a balsa carving or, I dunno... We don't have a lot of pix (esp. of my mom) but... hmmm... something.

Thanks for the idea!
Lassen Forge

Postby unjonharley » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:36 am

I will be bringing my lady's private pic. The one the she and I had and the kids never saw.
unjonharley

Postby emily sparkle » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:48 pm

it's lovely to release the memories of loved ones with fire.
emily sparkle

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:05 pm

That's what we thought... The postal people have a Korea Vet stamp this year (my dad was there), maybe find an old 6th patch as well... Mom was from the dakota flatlands and a really talented craftswoman (was thinking a wheat or corn doll), I'm not sure what Shell had in mind for mom & dad on that side... Ken was a WW2 vet and a good golfer (will a golf ball burn??), and Mom Jeanne was a model (and a hell of a bridge player - maybe that's a key? a scorepad and deck of cards?)...

Find a nice cigar box (Cubana? 'twas their era, after all!) and watch it go up. Hmmm...
Lassen Forge

Postby bullD » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:30 pm

AG, Emily, sorry to hear of the passings. these folks no doubt were made to smile due to the two of you.
bullD

Postby Tamborinadanceandsing » Fri May 06, 2005 2:18 pm

My dad died about 6 years ago. He was depressed with a drink problem so I think of his death as a release from what life had made happen to him, and now he is happy and free...He used to call me six pence and one day out of the blue, I found an old six pence piece in my pocket! Coincidence? Could be, but I prefer to think that he is still here somehow, but now happy and with me. :)
Tamborinadanceandsing

Postby cowboyangel » Fri May 06, 2005 5:01 pm

God Bless Bob Hunter, Co-Founder of GreenPeace
Prostate cancer at 63. Bob is a true hero in my life. Flowers went into the sea for you man. Peace
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981
cowboyangel

Postby spectabillis » Fri May 06, 2005 6:06 pm

cowboyangel wrote:God Bless Bob Hunter, Co-Founder of GreenPeace
Prostate cancer at 63.

whoa, that was news to me.
spectabillis

Next

Return to Open Discussion