materials needed for art installation

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

materials needed for art installation

Postby naomix » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:55 pm

I'm doing a video installation in Center Camp this year entitled "The Youniversal Mirror of the Collective Unconscious" As this is self-funded and I am a broke self-employed artist, I am asking my burning brothers and sisters to help me out with the materials I need, and their transport to the playa.
I am building a shed-like structure to house a TV monitor, with a window cut out where a partially rubbed out mirror will be placed.
1. Wood - If you will be arriving 4 days or more before the Monday start of the event, and can bring lumber for me (four 2x4s or 4x4s - 8 feet long, plywood for the sides, thick enough to support people potentially leaning on it) or perhaps even better, if you have an outhouse-sized shed that could be pulled apart and transported for me to reassemble on the playa.
2. Other Materials - If you live in the Pacific Northwest (I'm in Vancouver BC but occasionally get down as far south as the Portland area) and can provide: (I can pick up)
- a large mirror (27 inches or more in diameter and height) I will need this by June so I can start treating it and testing it with the video display.
-a 27" inch TV set - I would say this could be a loan, I will be attempting to house it in a sealed environment, but it's the playa and it might get wrecked by the dust or other elements... Same goes for
-a DVD player or VCR with looped playback function.
If you can help with any of these requests pls reply or email me-
naomi at microchunk dot com

Thanks so much...
naomi
naomix

Postby Bronwen » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:49 pm

Hi Naomix

I'm on a quest for donated items too, and gotta tell you Craigslist is a GREAT source. Although I have nothing I can donate right now, try craigslist.org and also your Sunday newspaper. Sometimes people will give up at the end of yard sales and just give away whatever they dont want. As for TVs I see at least 6 given away free on craigslist every week.

Good luck!
Bronwen

Postby naomix » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:38 pm

Yes, I've been looking on my local craiglist and also
www.freecycle.org
Another great gift economy resource if there's one going in your community, and unlike the craiglist it's OK to post Wanteds as well.

In order for my installation to work, I need the TV screen to be 27" and in good working condition, these seem harder to come by on the freeboards. But I'm sure something will turn up... Keep me in mind, folks!
thanks,
n
naomix

Return to 2011 Share Resources