Boom or Forklift needed on Playa

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

Boom or Forklift needed on Playa

Postby Gumbo » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:03 pm

I'm considering building my structure around something akin to a telephone pole but without all the tar.........the way I see it I'd need some way to lift it into the upright position and hold it there while I add bracing/support. Interested in hearing from anyone who will have a lift that they can share for an hour or others considering same that might consider splitting cost with others. Boom Lift, Scissor Lift, Heavy Duty Genie Lift could all work. Getting it up is the problem........takin' it down I'll just clear a big wide spot and fell it like it was a pesky Eucalyptus. We can all stand around drinking beer with our hats on backwards.
"I'll sleep when I'm dead"
Gumbo

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:51 am

How do you intend to anchor it?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Gumbo » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:10 pm

[i][b]IF[/b][/i] I stick with this plan (actually considering something lighter now) I have a couple of methods identified. One is something like Lush Camp had last year (but not so freakin' enormous) with Three large supporting struts thru bolted in.

The other would be to create an octagonal bench/platform around it as a base. Since I'm not trying to go too high with this (12' to 14') this is probably the route I'd take. The bench would have a high back (4-5') and would be anchored with rebar. This is a straight rip off of something that I saw last year in one of the theme camps It was around Esplanade and 2:00. Can't remember the name of it.

I've got a few other options I'm considering though. All involve beer drinking and wrenches and shit.
"I'll sleep when I'm dead"
Gumbo

Postby TomServo » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:42 am

Bring some beer by th DPW and they may help you out. I know they use Hyster H250s out their...they have the lift youll need...so long as your pole is lighter than 25,000 lbs
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby LostMachine » Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:36 pm

If it is only 12-14’ long just get some people under it. We lifted two 20’ towers with 6 people last year. The towers were made of 4” angle iron and weighed about 200lbs. Not as heavy as a telephone pole, but with your shorter length you should be fine. Try it out before you get too into the lift idea.
LostMachine

Postby M Joe Boss » Tue May 03, 2005 10:55 pm

That is a great idea, the people thing. In 2001 we had 10 telephone poles( actually they were 12 x 12'sx 20 feet) to put up and it only took about five of us. But we also dug into the playa to make sure we had a strong base. My suggestion is follow your current path, but if you don't find somebody with a lift don't be discouraged man power built the pyramids, and finding volunteers for a good cause on the playa is easy as pie. I would walk 12 to 14 feet in at least three directions and drive my stakes into the ground toward the pole you plan on erecting, so that the remainder of the stake is pointing away from that pole( roughly 22.5 degrees). Attach your guy lines to the structure securely at the top before raising it and as soon as you get vertical, have three people tie it off, and adjust as needed. I also suggest digging down just a little , maybe 18 inces to make sure the base doesn't want to kick out, however that means saving all the playa you took out and putting it back like you found it compacting it evry 3 or so inches of fill . but I look forward to seeing it out there.
M Joe Boss

Postby M Joe Boss » Tue May 03, 2005 11:03 pm

After looking at something else maybe the hole thing won't be cool, I don't relly know what they mean by"large holes"
M Joe Boss

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 04, 2005 10:43 am

I believe Large is more than 4 inches diameter. Poke around on the main site.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Genie Super Lift

Postby dinosaurwilly » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:53 am

Each year, we rent a Genie SLC-24 to assemble our dome (http://www.toolfetch.com/tools/SLC-24.html). This is rated only for 650lbs, but it might work out for you. If this is something you are looking for would you be interested in sharing some of the rental costs?
dinosaurwilly

Postby Tiara » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:45 pm

Bring some beer by th DPW and they may help you out.

I'd caution against expecting the DPW to help you with your project, unless you make prior arrangements with them or the Art Support Staff to do it. The crews that operate the heavy equipment already have a pretty heavy schedule supporting various infrastructure and large-scale art projects.
Tiara

Return to 2011 Share Resources