PayPal errors in South Africa

Yep, you can buy, sell, barter or gift them here.

PayPal errors in South Africa

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:43 am

I got my ticket a few days after the sales opened - but with difficulty. I live in South Africa and PayPal doesn't support sales in SA, even though it was a MasterCard. So, I had to get a European friend of mine to buy it for me with his card and my name on the ticket.

When I complained to PayPal about this they wern't at all helpful. They just said "Nope, you're right, it won't work from there..."

Come on guys, I though Americans were all technologically geared-up with credit cards and internet, and it would be a breeze.

Well, it hasn't stopped me but I think it might to a few people. You're excluding a big country here! Many South Africans would love to go to Burning Man so give them the chance...

Does anybody else know about this problem?

Postby Zona_the_stona » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:37 am

there is so much fraud coming out of Africa they probably only accept money orders. (I know because I had taken orders which ended up being fraudulent and the company I work for lost thousands of dollars)

http://www.fraudabc.com/
Zona_the_stona

PayPal

Postby bex » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:37 pm

We actually stopped using paypal because they weren't meeting the needs of our community.

you can order online with a regular credit card now. if you don't have a credit card you can order through mail order.

check out: tickets.burningman.com to get info for mail order tickets.
bex

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp of Doom!

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:30 am

Oh, well, seems to be sorted. Thanks!

Postby Bronwen » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:35 am

Hey Roman Slave! I was born in Cape Town. Family is in Joburg now and I've had problems getting funds to them. I also thought PayPal would be the route but turns out the best I can do is send money Western Union to Botswana (obviously not viable) or mail cash. ICK! You're coming a long way for the event though. How'd you hear about it?
Bronwen

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:45 am

Yeah, it is a long way - but that's a good excuse to spend a couple of weeks in NY before the event :)
I actually first saw BM on Discovery channel. (An episode of Globe Guide's September festivals.) But that was last year and only a couple of weeks before the event. Then about a month ago there was a talk at the 3Rd I gallery in CT about the event by a guy from San Francisco.
I've been looking forward to going for months now! it's agonising!

Postby Gothalot » Thu May 05, 2005 1:42 pm

Pay pal have done some pretty nasty things to people I know. They had a good start on line and just couldnt make it work. I don't know what happened w/ paypal but they suc now.
Media Mecca Volunteer / Spikes Vampire Bar Mgr
Gothalot

Postby kimrei » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:02 pm

here's another south african, I read about burning man in the google biography

hi
kimrei

South African returning to the playa - where are the others?

Postby mikey » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:23 am

Hey - how many of us "Sefricans" (current or former) are there going to this year's event? It would be lekker to re-unite with some brother/sisterhood under the blue skies. Reminiscing about the old country would be a mind-&^*% for me - I miss home. Anyone connected with SA, hit me up. I may do a separate posting following up on this topic also.

-Mikey
mikey

Return to 2005 Tickets