Contact List MOD Feedback

Use this space for bug reports or to discuss site functionality and statistics.

Do you like the new Contact List MOD?

No, I hate it.
No votes
No, it doesn't do what I want.
No votes
Not really, but I can live with it.
No votes
I don't care.
21%
Yes, but it could be better.
7%
Yes, it's great!
32%
About fucking time!!
21%
What are you talking about?
18%

Total votes : 28

Postby bullD » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:14 pm

ummm, did I miss something, did Spanky specifically say that all newbie reference material was deleted?
bullD

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..................

Postby Last Real Burner » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:15 pm

<rant>
All that info on Evap Ponds, RV Dealers around the country, Which were the best burnerfriendly hotels The Bar thread..... Gone, gone gone gone... why? why? Did you even ever read any of the stuff that was there? There were peoples memories and conversations that were ment to span time to touch others some of the stuff that people like III, and Bob, Ranger G and oh so many others even though slightly salty rang with softness of truth and wisdom and that was respected, and expected. Burning wisdom is not come by easily and from whince it cometh realise what it has done to the bearer.

<rant>
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".
Last Real Burner

Postby bullD » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:19 pm

...also, did Spanky say somewhere here, again that I would be missing, that everything is in fact deleted?
bullD

Postby Tancorix » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:59 pm

Stop! Airbrake...whatever, just stop.

Spanky said the other content is still out there. What we have here is a temporary space while the rest of the board is reworked. It's not gone, it's simply being repackaged for easier use.

Take a deep breath, calm down, and let's work through the process.
Tancorix

Postby bullD » Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:03 pm

{screeeeeeeech}

whewww! it IS all still there. I'm not losing what little is left of my mind, he he he. thank you Tancorix for clarifying.

Anouncement:

there will be no Spanky spankings today, carry on...
bullD

Postby bullD » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:48 pm

ok, after having messed about with this I think the add/ignore/disallow options are fine and serve to be self empowering somewhat, all good.

Also, I have to agree with Bob, the emoticons and add/ignore/disallow icons should go away, they are a bit much. I think all we need for the add/ignore/disallow are: A I D
A = add
I = ignore
D = disallow
bullD

Re: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..................

Postby emily sparkle » Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:38 am

Last Real Burner wrote:All that info on Evap Ponds, RV Dealers around the country, Which were the best burnerfriendly hotels The Bar thread..... Gone, gone gone gone... why? why?

nope, it's not gone. we still have every last post from the former incarnation of the eplaya. surely you must know that we don't want the value of this resource to decline, we are simply trying to install tools to hopefully stop the community hemmoraging that was taking place.

take it easy on spanky y'all! he's not the bad guy here, he's the good guy!
:) emily sparkle
eplaya administrator
___

mobilize, energize, motivate, INSPIRE ordinary people to do things to improve their quality of life.
- nobel peace prize winner, wangari maathai
emily sparkle

Re: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..................

Postby Last Real Burner » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:18 am

emily sparkle wrote: take it easy on spanky y'all! he's not the bad guy here, he's the good guy!

If you say so Tarte, I'm already breaking my vow of never returning to this place, it was just that it's hard to believe that someone who tells me they want to rebuild the community and the first thing they do is hit the off switch. Of course it's just digital, and noone was hurt, and it was only for a few days, but it was highly insulting for him to play parent to us like we were all a bunch of fucking kids. And again I say with no warning, there were things going on that I and others don't know what happened, like for Reba's Stair run, their are burners out there who use this board as their communication lifeline, blah blah, blah and all that was totally shit on with the decision, you didn't even bother to ask us if we cared enough about Toni's and others little spats. I live and work a normal life, around normal people. We get into arguments, fights, and we all often get on each others nerves and are constantly saying dumb shit, but it doesn't make me want to quit my job or stop hanging with my friends. It is a fact that in a room with at least two people, or more you're always going to find at least one asshole.

the rebbi
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".
Last Real Burner

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:24 am

One thing I like about Tribe is the extensive use of pictures. For example, we are seeing less Avatars and actual photos of people over here because of the photo editing software necessary to make an 80 Pixel, less than 68 Killobyte jpeg file to save and upload which will sometimes reward your effort by not working.

I think especially new users would be more forthcoming on text content if they feel they have more invested in putting their personality picture out there. Besides, it's fun. That's my $1.50.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby spanky » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:02 pm

Tancorix wrote:I can see the value of having a buddy list for MSN, Yahoo, or AOL with millions of users out there. But ... is it really worth the time and trouble to have it?

It was the lightest impact MOD that gave a plonk-type feature. I looked and looked for just simple plonk/ignore. This one looked best. Also, initial feedback seemed that people liked the Buddy List :?

~Spanky
spanky

Re: The King Is Wearing No Clothes!!!!! GASP!!!!!!!!!!....

Postby spanky » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:20 pm

Last Real Burner wrote:Spanky, I personally don't see this as a inprovement over what was already in place. You could just as easily have left what was already there until you had completed the testing on the "real" site you say will be ready in a week. You have forced the community to seek their digital intercourse elsewhere and now you have everybody ikissing your ass and blowing smoke up you're ass about the great job you're doing.

This is not my motivation. In fact, I feel quite a bit awkward receiving praise. I do admit, though, that I enjoy helping people and trying my best to add the things that people have been asking for.

Last Real Burner wrote:I see you have made the communinty into your'e geeked warped" sense of what it should be rather than the natural collective that it should be.

Me? I did? I am only doing what is asked of me because I sit in the driver's seat of the technological base. We have had meetings, asked for feedback and as much as possible tried to work with everybody to get things done. I'm sorry you feel like the ePlaya is "mine". I guess I should just stop posting and go back to doing.

Last Real Burner wrote:Yes we had to put up with a few asshats, but they were readily ignored by those who choose to. Again I acept you're apologies for having closed down the eplaya with "No" notice, which from the standpoint of the facts that you have told us aready, was totally unnessary and then to replace it with this aborted piece of fecal matter is inexcusable.

Again, not my decision. I posted an apology b/c I felt bad, but the decision was not made by me, but rather by consesus, and there was miscommunication about the announcement. There SHOULD have been an announcement.

Last Real Burner wrote:All of the valuable information that the other site had for necomers and the problems and soulutions it contained are now lost to new users who now will have less of a clue in 4 months in the middle of the desert , at burningman. If you think for one second that the Bmorg spindly little Newbie info package can answer the plethora of complex qustions a majority of the people have you are sadly mistaken. Not only did we lose all that valuable reference material, that took months and months of painstaking work and posting to assemble you effectivavly ran all the people who whould have to rebuild the aforementioned database has been scatered to the digital winds.

Oh, I think I see the trouble. The old threads are NOT gone. There are just off. We are going through a community review (see Categories & Forums thread) and when we decide how best to lay out the information, all of it will return unharmed. We're not even going to remove the hateful drivel parts.

Last Real Burner wrote:I realize it must be some big kick for you to have all this geeky talk about Phpbs or someother such nonsense but we are a scant few months until the event and you have singlehandly decimated one of the fundemental bases for information and pools of resources that existed, and for what? a plonk button and a fucking buddy list?

We also stabilized the CVS, upgraded two versions and patched some security holes. We have a reliable development environment in place now, which is great. Also, there was some serious bloodshed happening on the board, which seems to have cooled off. Not to mention all of this happened while I was away. I came back to a shitstorm and have been working on this (despite having tons of other work piling up) as much as I can.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I am working as fast as I can to get the thing re-opened. We wanted to give people time to feed-back on the changes. I think this is exactly what you are [sorta] asking for. More community involvement in the decisions.

Last Real Burner wrote:There was a community here Sir, and I hope for the event's sake, and my friends who are here and those that are not that it reestablishes itself if not here somewhere else, somewhere a little more burner friendly. Good luck Spanky on you're job well done.

Well, I hear your sarcasm, but, you're welcome. I don't expect to make everyone happy. I'm trying to do my job as best as possible. Rants like this one don't help my motivation, and the compliments I've received definitely help me feel like we're doing a better job with the ePlaya. Anyhow, I sincerely hope you'll stick around and give input into the process. Without feedback, we just do what we think is best. I'm usually the one to implement the changes, but I am working on changing that. That way the work can be spread out amongst more people. Then you can direct your anger at them instead of just me, although I am happy to absorb the negative energy and try to turn it back into a positive force.

~Spanky
spanky

Postby regynalonglank » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:09 pm

go Spanky go! transmute, transform, transcend!!!
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum
regynalonglank

Postby Lassen Forge » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:06 pm

I like these, except maybe a skull and crossbones in place of the spy.

Oh, make them bigger, too... some of us are half blind!!

Just my 2 pesos...
BBS

stuart wrote:might I suggest

a heart
a monkey plugging it's ears
and a cartoon like spy (think the shadow or spyvsspy)

for the icons
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby sputnik » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:19 pm

I noticed that I only get notification of online offline status when I hit the main page. I bookmark the new posts link and very rarely hit the main page. Any chance that this function would activate the pop-up deeper in the menus, or would this just be too annoying?
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Previous

Return to Site Function