Page length

Use this space for bug reports or to discuss site functionality and statistics.

How many posts should be on a page?

29%
71%

Total votes : 14

Postby GuinivereElise » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:28 pm

spanky wrote:Assuming that in the future there will be a "take me to the latest post" feature (which I would like as well), does 30 (or 33) seem like a good number for page length?

~Spanky

Salt makes everything taste better...

that works. and, RG, that USED to work for me, but hasn't, since eplay came back up. perhaps that's a bug??

(I don't think salt makes jello taste better...)
GuinivereElise

Page Jumping via URL

Postby Captain Fuckwit » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:46 pm

Bob wrote:Choice of 10, 20, 50 or 100, with reverse sort by date & author as an option.

Until a point in time when page length is determined via User's Preferences, the default length of posts per page should be a number which is easy to multiply, add to, or subtract from. Currently, in any thread with several hundred messages, a user can jump forward or back by changing the start= number in the URL: (You may need to know how to write the url yourself if PhPBBS isn't immediately providing a proper fill in when you open that thread.)

e.g. 30, 60, 90, 120 or 20, 40, 60, 80 or 25, 50, 75, 100 or 15, 30, 45, 60

As an example, in the Empire Store thread, which has several pages, the user can 'page' forward or back by changing the start= # to 20, 25, 30, 42, 11, whathaveyou. However, this trick is not so obvious to a new user when the default page length is an odd-ball number like 42 or 11. Something like 30, 60, 90 in the url is easier to recognize as a pagination scheme. My recommendation is 30 because it is easy to multiply, add to and subtract from and it can also be halved by 15, making a half-jump forward to start=45 or half-jump back to start=15. If 30 is too long, let's try 20 (or even the original default of 15) for the default length, for the same reasons.

(Empire Store)
viewtopic.php?t=8294&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

Badger wrote:Agree. I especailly like the idea of the reverse order viewing.

The page can be displayed in descending order by changing the postorder= from 'asc' to 'dsc'. Give it a try on this page here in this forum-

(Page length)
viewtopic.php?t=8296&postdays=0&postorder=dsc&start=0

Hope this helps!
Courtesy of Captain Fuckwit
Captain Fuckwit

Postby spanky » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:58 pm

GuinivereElise wrote:that USED to work for me, but hasn't, since eplay came back up. perhaps that's a bug??

That's not working? It works for me. Please double check and let me know.

There's also a very-hard-to-notice identifier that could be helpful when you do RG's trick: At the top of each post, there's a datestamp like so:

Code: Select all
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:28 pm

To the left of that is a little page icon. Take special note of when it is white and when it is yellow.

~Spanky
spanky

Re: Page Jumping via URL

Postby spanky » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:03 pm

Captain Fuckwit wrote:If 30 is too long, let's try 20 (or even the original default of 15) for the default length, for the same reasons.

Thanks Cap'n Fuckwit!

What do people think? This makes good sense to me. Should we move to 30 and see how that goes for a few days? If it feels too long, we can go to 20. I felt that 15 was too short. Ideally a user should be able to set it themselves, but refer to my "frying fish" post found elsewhere ;)

Feedback please! :)

~Spanky
spanky

Postby GuinivereElise » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:05 pm

lets try 30 and see how it goes.

re: last post. my fault. i wasn't waiting long enough. when I click on the little icon next to the last poster's name, it takes me to the beginning of the thread until it loads fully, then forwards me to the end. I just have to be patient (I hate being patient!).

no worries, Spanky. thanks for your help!
GuinivereElise

Postby bullD » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:14 pm

yes, 30, please.
bullD

Postby Badger » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:36 pm

There has been an offline (direct email to me) suggestion that we use a round number (like 20 or 30). 27

And just what is wrong with prime numbers?
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Wind_Borne » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:19 pm

Or Fibonacci Numbers?
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
-- George Washington
Wind_Borne

Postby Wind_Borne » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:20 pm

Or 17. It's the most random number, you know.
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
-- George Washington
Wind_Borne

Postby helitack » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:25 pm

How about 24, like in a case of PBR.
helitack

Camp Name: Apokiliptika

Postby Vego » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:15 pm

Clickin' around I think 27 would be better than 30. I'm finding vertigo sets in about post 30-31 and I have to scroll real fast to the top or bottom to get my bearings... 'course it could be the ale as well, aye
If your not having a good day,
You're taking too much for granted!
Vego

Postby Tancorix » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:23 pm

I'm still partial to 33 and the poll results seem to show others agree. With lower numbers it drove up the page counts to some high numbers that could be a turnoff for new people to wade through.

Q: Is there a server performance benefit to having high or low page lengths? If we could get faster load times by having the page count set at a certain level why not let that be the deciding factor? Would it help on searching for content to have shorter or longer pages?
Tancorix

Proposal: Posts per Page (PpP)

Postby Captain Fuckwit » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:18 am

I am revising my page length recommendation to 20 posts per page.

Try This:
•Open page 1 of this thread Page length in its own window
•Scroll to the top
•Scroll back down (either with a scroll wheel or down-arrow)
•Count white backgrounds as you scroll down
•When you've counted ten white backgrounds, stop scrolling
•With a last fine adjustment, the scroll-thumb on the scroll bar now approximately marks where 20 messages ends
•Use whatever floating pallete that your system avails you of, a palette that appears "above" your browser such as an application switcher
•Line up the top of the palatte with where the scroll-thumb is at on the scroll bar to mark where 20 messages ends
•Now freely scroll up and down to get a feel for what a 20 message page looks like, while never moving the scroll-thumb down past where the palette marks 20 posts
•If you don't have a palette available, try using a Post-it-note™ on the side of your monitor

Considering page load time (broadband) and/or versus readability, 20 messages as the default length is do-able. Do it now. We already know what 15 looks like and we can later bump it past 20 instead of this mad hopping around. I've provided an explanation for round numbers. Reward message clarity: Make the change now. Then let the banter continue until another user presents a decent argument for a better page length. Labor now, and you probably won't have to labor again for some time. Let's roll!

Glad to be of help!
Sincerely yours,
Captain Fuckwit
Captain Fuckwit

Re: Page Jumping via URL

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:02 am

spanky wrote:but refer to my "frying fish" post found elsewhere
No, I refuse.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby spanky » Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:58 pm

Tancorix wrote:Is there a way to limit the size of any posted images similar to the avatar size limits? The large images and side to side scrolling are a major pain. Or if nothing else post a recommended size guide so we can scale down our images ahead of time or something.

Avatars are limited (I believe) to 70000bytes, 80x80px. I am looking at a width-enforcing-MOD to help with long URLs and wide images. I'm gonna split this topic to discuss this topic apart from length, which seems to be lively. :)

Page width: viewtopic.php?t=8299

~Spanky
spanky

Postby PurpleKoosh » Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:44 pm

:headdesk:

I've been in the habit of clicking the itty-bitty page to the left of the thread title to bring me to the newest posts in the thread. All of a sudden, clicking on it brings me to what was the newest post the first time I logged in for the day, no matter how many other posts I've already read since then. And yes, I'm waiting for the page to load fully.

Wassupwitdat?
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.
PurpleKoosh

Burning Since: 2003

Postby Tancorix » Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:52 pm

My wheel mouse and those scroll bars are certainly getting a workout with the new designs. I wonder what Bob would think about this with his minimalistic approach to this stuff?
Tancorix

Postby spanky » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:09 pm

PurpleKoosh wrote:All of a sudden, clicking on it brings me to what was the newest post the first time I logged in for the day, no matter how many other posts I've already read since then.

Yes I have seen this. I am looking into it.

~Spanky
spanky

Postby spanky » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:12 pm

I reset the poll to 20/30 posts per page and the current number of posts per page to an round number of 30.

~Spanky
spanky

Postby actiongrl » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:39 am

Well, I kinda *liked* the inscrutable nature of the 33 posts per page idea, but perhaps I am Old And Fond Of Recalling Vinyl LP's.

Since I wouldn't be one to monkey with the URL to change the number of posts I see, I guess that's the solution that adds up in geekspeak, but other than that I don't see a difference between 30 and 33 and I can live with whatever. As long as there aren't images in a thread I would rather there are 100 posts per page, but I'm on a cable connection, and at least I can set my own prefs.

FWIW I rillyrillyrillyrilly want to see the mod that will take me to the last post I read, like the old-old ePlaya did. Let's see...DO IT NOW! *blushes and blinks coyly at Spanky*
actiongrl

Postby GuinivereElise » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:36 am

Let's see...DO IT NOW! *blushes and blinks coyly at Spanky*

Holy shit, does this work??

In that case, I wholeheartedly agree with AG...

please please PLEEEEEEEESE???

*batting eyelashes and shimmying shoulders a bit*
GuinivereElise

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:00 am

actiongrl wrote:Well, I kinda *liked* the inscrutable nature of the 33 posts per page idea, but perhaps I am Old And Fond Of Recalling Vinyl LP's
Me too. But if we are going for a "round number" I'd actually go for 25 as 4 x 25 = 100. That makes using the url, on those occasions when I do, easier to figure in my head. (Question: When we bring back some of the old eplaya will within board links still work?)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:02 am

PurpleKoosh wrote:All of a sudden, clicking on it brings me to what was the newest post the first time I logged in for the day, no matter how many other posts I've already read since then.
Do you mean that when you pressed that icon you went to the newest unread post? I always ended up at the newest post at the time that I logged in last. (If that isn't clear let me know--just started the morning latte.)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby spanky » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:30 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Question: When we bring back some of the old eplaya will within board links still work?

Hmmm, good question!

~Spanky
spanky

Postby PurpleKoosh » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:59 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Do you mean that when you pressed that icon you went to the newest unread post?

Yep....
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.
PurpleKoosh

Burning Since: 2003

Postby spectabillis » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:45 pm

Longer allows me to scan through what is relevant and not, just my opinion, longer.
spectabillis

Postby spanky » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:50 pm

PurpleKoosh wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
Do you mean that when you pressed that icon you went to the newest unread post?

Yep....

Yeah, this seemes borken to me. I'll look into it. The one on the left should take you to the last post you read, and the one on the right should take you to the most recent post.

More forums first though!!

~Spanky
spanky

Postby III » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:14 pm

""brings me to what was the newest post the first time I logged in for the day, no matter how many other posts I've already read since then.""

this is how all phpbb boards have worked as long as i've used them.

it's a pain in the butt.
III

Postby III » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:17 pm

>pain in the butt

so is not being able to edit your posts, btw. i realize that the ptb think it's a good idea, even though they reserve (and make use of) the ability themselves, but to me it strikes of inconveniencing the majority in order to prevent what would actually be a fleeting offense by a very small minority.

i urge you to reconsider the editing thing.
III

Previous

Return to Site Function