ever notice how many Burners are on Discovery Channel?

All things outside of Burning Man.

ever notice how many Burners are on Discovery Channel?

Postby Angry Butterfly » Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:37 pm

the "monster" shows in particular. I really want to meet this burner that was on there last night called "Gadget" I turned to my husband and was like "Does That remind you of anyone?" I swear, I have to meet this guy, and work for him, "Gadget" are you out there?
I took the road less traveled, and now I would like to go back and find the paved one.
Angry Butterfly

Postby RebA! » Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:40 pm

YEA! I saw that last night. I wonder if he has made/done anything from the playa recently. The picture they showed that he did something for was from 1998.

They also had the guy that did the flame throwing colliape (sp?) on monster garage.

I think they recently did a show about draka the dragon as well.
"My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpets or ruin our lives."
--Rita Rudner
RebA!

Postby precipitate » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:29 pm

> "Gadget" are you out there?

He's out here, but not on the eplaya. He does indeed do some cool shit.
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Postby III » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:58 pm

death guild had a car on that henry rollins sell out show.

kal, and maybe some of the other seemen people, were on a junkyard wars where they had some sort of obstacle course car to build.
III

Postby Kinetic » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:56 pm

Tiara mentioned DMV is substantially changing the rules for art cars next year, maybe we could get those guys back on playa to build new stuff instead of hogging all the camera time.

And it's too bad Jesse James couldn't make a cool ride for BRC.....
Kinetic

Postby madmatt » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:12 pm

I think the problem with guys like Jesse James (who i think is super cool for the record) is that guys (and girls?) who have serious passive/aggressive rebellion pattern colored with a real antagonistic posture toward society, don't stand out against the background of burning man too much. It's kind of like wearing plaid in a plaid wallpapered room. People who have a need to be a real badass and stand out, are just one of the gang at burning man.

PS - and they often really resent everyone talking to them and being nice to them.
madmatt

Postby Ivy » Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:06 pm

is that guys (and girls?) who have serious passive/aggressive rebellion pattern colored with a real antagonistic posture toward society, don't stand out against the background of burning man too much

I don't know if I would limit this to a "passive/aggressive rebellion pattern;" I often feel the same way. I like to stand out, and I find that difficult at BM.

Or maybe I engage in a passive/agressive rebellion pattern without realizing it...
Ivy

Postby madmatt » Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:11 pm

I think it's a real sign of sanity in this world to feel abnormal. I was referring specifically to a guy I know (great guy) who sort of prides himself on being a misfit, and he's sort of afraid of going to BM and no longer being the freak. Funny, cause another guy I know who came to BM first time this year (and blew his mind completely), was afraid he'd be too normal to fit in out there with all the freaks. (He did fine).
madmatt

Postby Ivy » Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:23 pm

I am constantly reminding myself that there will always be someone prittier/smarter/more creative/more artistic/friendlier/bitchier/more bad-ass/whatever than myself. Likewise the opposite.

I find that I have to work harder at keeping thsi sort of thing in mind at BM...in some cases, the cream of the crop is out there and it's very hard to deal with. Especially if you know you don't excel at anything like some of those people do. I sometimes think *I'm* too normal to fit in out there.

who sort of prides himself on being a misfit, and he's sort of afraid of going to BM and no longer being the freak

Ha, this reminds me of when I was in school--all the kids were "non-conformist." they were so non-conformist that it became the new trend. It was totally conformist to be non-conformist; it was right under their noses and they never even realized it.
Ivy

Postby Chai Guy » Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:06 pm

Ha, this reminds me of when I was in school--all the kids were "non-conformist." they were so non-conformist that it became the new trend. It was totally conformist to be non-conformist; it was right under their noses and they never even realized it.

Well said!

It's like "I'm a non-conformist, I'm a rebel, I have a purple mohawk!"

Right, just like all of your friends!

Also, since we're on the subject, what's the deal with High School kids still wearing Black Flag, Misfits, Dead Kennedy (insert favorite 80's punk band here: ____________ ) t-shirts?? . Are there no new punk bands out these days? Are they really listening to these bands or are they just wearing the shirts? I have to ask one of them next time I see them.
Chai Guy

Postby Ivy » Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:56 pm

Are they really listening to these bands or are they just wearing the shirts?

In the neighborhood where I work, it's sadly the latter.
Ivy

Postby J » Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:51 pm

It's just the shirts, punk was buried with Joey Ramone. Let it rest in peace.
J

Postby stu » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:17 pm

punk was buried with Joey Ramone. Let it rest in peace.

I think Joey Shithead would beg to differ.
<i>What's</i> my fucking gift?
stu

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:49 pm

Chai Guy wrote:It's like "I'm a non-conformist, I'm a rebel, I have a purple mohawk!"

Right, just like all of your friends!

Also, since we're on the subject, what's the deal with High School kids still wearing Black Flag, Misfits, Dead Kennedy (insert favorite 80's punk band here: ____________ ) t-shirts?? . Are there no new punk bands out these days? Are they really listening to these bands or are they just wearing the shirts? I have to ask one of them next time I see them.

well i am one of those little punk kids, yes some of us actually do listen to old hardcore bands (ie black flag, dks, minor threat...etc) and some of us wear new punk bands merch but there are also a lot of kids doing it to be 'different" ,as well. and i completely agree that the non- conformists who are actually inadvertantly being conformists are odd. but comicial indeed
--nutmeg (15)

Postby nymphgonebad » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:09 pm

stu wrote:
punk was buried with Joey Ramone. Let it rest in peace.

I think Joey Shithead would beg to differ.

i know he would.

he's turning over in his grave right now.

he's changing the record - whaddya know, he put on the soundtrack to the movie "dead man".

got to admire his persistance of vision - that and the fact that he still has a sense of humor.

i know a few people who could learn a lesson from that.
nymphgonebad

Postby Ivy » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:45 pm

there are also a lot of kids doing it to be 'different"

Does anyone else see the oxymoron in this sentence or is it just me?

i completely agree that the non- conformists who are actually inadvertantly being conformists are odd. but comicial indeed

They're not odd. They're the norm. At least around here. Probably depends where you're located.
Ivy

Postby blyslv » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:38 am

madmatt wrote:I think it's a real sign of sanity in this world to feel abnormal. .

Sanity is statistical. Most people think it was good to go to Iraq and kill many Iraqis. If you didn't it's because you're insane. Most people think it's good to spend all your money on more car and house and food and clothes then you could ever possibility use in this and the next lifetime. If you don't, it's because you're insane. Most people think a steady diet of cheap red meat and suger is the healthiest thing for them. If you don't, can't you see that you're insane?
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby Ivy » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:39 am

Sanity is statistical.

And totally aribtrary.
Ivy

Postby PJ » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:58 am

For the record, the most effective way to actually be subversive is to outwardly appear ordinary.
PJ

Postby PJ » Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:01 am

Ivy wrote:I am constantly reminding myself that there will always be someone prittier/smarter/more creative/more artistic/friendlier/bitchier/more bad-ass/whatever than myself.

Now you're making me blush.
PJ

Postby Ivy » Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:03 am

For the record, the most effective way to actually be subversive is to outwardly appear ordinary.

"It's always the quiet ones."
Ivy

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:46 am

Ivy wrote:
there are also a lot of kids doing it to be 'different'

Does anyone else see the oxymoron in this sentence or is it just me?

I think that was the point.

Postby Angry Butterfly » Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:05 pm

OH GOD! Not that conformist nonconformist thing again! STOP! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP!
Anyway, Punk's not dead, never will be, as long as there are kids in garages and basements with guitars who are mad at stuff and only know 3 chords, punk will live.
As long as there are kids who wear ripped jeans because they cant afford new ones because they spent all there money on ramones cd's and skateboards, punk will live.
As long as teenagers are angry and misunderstood, punk will live.
As long as there are art school drop outs making music, punk will live.
See punk music is folk music with electric gutairs, listen to it.
Now, Joey wouldnt have wanted punk to die with him, would he? I dont think so.
I took the road less traveled, and now I would like to go back and find the paved one.
Angry Butterfly

Postby PJ » Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:25 pm

Angry Butterfly wrote:OH GOD! Not that conformist nonconformist thing again! STOP! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP!
Anyway, Punk's not dead, never will be, as long as there are kids in garages and basements with guitars who are mad at stuff and only know 3 chords, punk will live.
As long as there are kids who wear ripped jeans because they cant afford new ones because they spent all there money on ramones cd's and skateboards, punk will live.
As long as teenagers are angry and misunderstood, punk will live.
As long as there are art school drop outs making music, punk will live.
See punk music is folk music with electric gutairs, listen to it.
Now, Joey wouldnt have wanted punk to die with him, would he? I dont think so.

Every bit of that rant is correct. As is the absence of the word "talent."
PJ

Postby Angry Butterfly » Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:35 pm

I left out talent on purpose, thanks for noticing.
Angry Butterfly

Postby jbelson » Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:35 am

This thread has been Hijacked!!!

Now back on topic. I saw the Monster house (by the way, I sent my application into that show) with gadget, then the next day came across his website. www.gadgetshead.com
Kool guy doing some cool stuff.
He throws it out there!!!

Now you can get back to your regularly un-scheduled programing.
"I gotta have more cowbell"
Bruce dickenson, legendary rock producer
jbelson

Postby precipitate » Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:10 am

> next day came across his website. www.gadgetshead.com

That's a different Gadget. The Gadget on Monster House can be found at
the (still under construction) site http://www.reverendgadget.com
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Return to Open Discussion