travel from uk

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

travel from uk

Postby Alex_uk » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:11 am

hi all.

i will be travelling from the uk to the burn this year and was wondering if any of you know of any ways to reduce travel cost i.e fligths road transport etc

any ideas would be graciously appreciated....thanks

alex
Alex_uk

Postby Isotopia » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:50 am

It might be cheaper to fly into San Francisco (SFO) - but NOT on US Airways - from Gatwick rather than have Reno, Nevada as your final destination. Keep tabs on this and other boards regarding ride shares to the playa from the bay area. At this point I probably wouldn't start putting together any rides until we get more into 2005. I would start checking prices though. Nine months out is a bit far as any deals go. I'd wait until around mid-March to see what the pricing schemes look like and then go from there.
Isotopia

Postby Rian Jackson » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:57 am

i know british air has always been the cheapest for me from London to Seattle or vice versa.

I saw something in National Geographic regarding cheap tickets search engines that cover international flights. I'll try to remember to bring it and post their recommendations.
surlier than thou
Rian Jackson

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:24 am

Southwest airlines is hard to beat on puddle jumps to Reno.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby Killbuck » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:37 pm

Alex- The Kernul here.

I can't help with the flight info, as I am in my "secret undesclosed location" deep in the Sierra Nevada. But, if you need ground transport once in Reno to camp APOKILIPTIKA, Black Rock City, we can easily arange. We'll keep the Panzers warmed up for you.

(You know where to reach us)

The Kernul
http://sideshow2014.weebly.com Bringing Sideshow back to the playa, and part of the Embrace Crew, 2014.
Killbuck

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby Isotopia » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:32 am

Kernul,

We so expected you at the Odeon this evening for the fun and dance spiel with the BORG2 candidates.

We were also looking to plow you with alcohol for experimental sexual favors.
Isotopia

Postby Killbuck » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:36 am

Isotopia-

Send my regards to BORG2- I am entertaining our Puerto Rican friends this week.

Report?

The Kernul
http://sideshow2014.weebly.com Bringing Sideshow back to the playa, and part of the Embrace Crew, 2014.
Killbuck

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby Alex_uk » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:17 am

thanks for everyones help, cheers kermul. ill look into fares mid march as suggested. just a brief look now gave 750 pounds return and thats into reno itself. thinking about maybe a train into reno from san francisco...more detective work required me thinks.

but that offer kernul sounds great thanks mate.
Alex_uk

Postby Alex_uk » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:18 am

thanks for everyones help, cheers kermul. ill look into fares mid march as suggested. just a brief look now gave 750 pounds return and thats into reno itself. thinking about maybe a train into reno from san francisco...more detective work required me thinks.

but that offer kernul sounds great thanks mate.

for a brief second i thought you were talking about sexual flavours not favours.....my mind shudered at the possible range of beverages
Alex_uk

Postby ChriXXX » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:56 am

my girl friend and i ´start our journey from amsterdam, via london . airline is united airlines. destination is san francisco. we will depart london on 25th. of august to do a little bit of sightseeing in sf.
Open your mind as the same as the open ocean
ChriXXX

Postby lennie900 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:28 am

Hi all, I'm looking for people who would like to meet up and go to the playa from London UK. I have no fixed dates and times to go as yet, but have 14 days to kill and I am looking for an adventure. I will be a burning Man Newbie, but after last year fell through I have promised myself that I will get to the desert, hell or high water. Hopefully there will be other people out there to group together, share the cost and the expereance.

I hope to hear from anybody interested soon.

Helen B
lennie900

Postby Alex_uk » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:58 am

yeah sounds good to me. im up for a meet
Alex_uk

Postby Alex_uk » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:20 pm

any uk buirners, would love to meet up and meet some like minded ppl please gimme a bell:)
Alex_uk

UK-based newb

Postby TheMirror » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:23 am

Alex, Helen,

I'm a UK-based BurningMan Newbie too. The friends I was planning on coming with all pulled out for some lame-arse reasons but I'm set on coming this year, if those Evils at US Immigration give me a visa (I'm Iraqi - LOL)

Happy to get in touch beforehand...

The Mirror
TheMirror

Postby Alex_uk » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:55 am

sounds good to me mate, pm me if you like, haha you may have to apply early for your visa to get through all the bureaucracy if your iraqi i imagine
Alex_uk

Postby dj_john69 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:40 pm

Hey....i have a friend that is a travel agent...she is ready to help save some $$ and get ya to the Playa. (She isn't doing this to make $$ but rather help out other burners...this year is her 9th year attending Burning Man).

If your interested...drop her an email at burninggirl137@yahoo.com with your flight dates, where your coming from and your prime email addy for her to contact you.

Please make your email header "Burning Man Travel".

I hope this helps you out and saves you some money.

~John
dj_john69

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Root Society & Osiris & BRS

Postby TheMirror » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:14 pm

Thanks DJ John, I'll make a note and get in touch with her -especially around my internal flights within the States!

Alex, are you based in Newcastle? Are you a Geordie-like? :) I'm London based myself. Do you ever come to the south?

Where are you based, Helen?

Hey is it just me or do you get the feeling when reading e-playa that most people seem already in some clique or other and many of them appear to be "members only"? - just a first impression and I've not delved too deep into this one. I've still a lot of thinking to do with regards to whom to volunteer with. Any ideas?
TheMirror

Postby Kinetic IV » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:24 pm

TheMirror wrote:Hey is it just me or do you get the feeling when reading e-playa that most people seem already in some clique or other and many of them appear to be "members only"? - just a first impression and I've not delved too deep into this one. I've still a lot of thinking to do with regards to whom to volunteer with. Any ideas?

A little perspective. The eplaya consists of maybe 200 active individuals, the actual event has 35,000 people. Don't let the attitudes of eplayans set your attitude about the event as a whole. It would be a serious mistake to do so.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby TheMirror » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:35 am

Thanks for the perspective Kinetic and I know you are right in that. It was just a first impression, nothing more.
But where do you go to access all the rest of the hordes?

The big question for me, travelling from the UK on my own and for my first ever Burning Man and genuinely wanting to participate rather than spectate, is:
How do I know with whom to volunteer or where to camp?

I have been reading the playa and the site information as much as possible (for fear of asking dumbarse questions) and was wondering, a couple of the camps have already started to recruit with Lost Penguin saying they have only a small window of recruitment and only 5 spots. Vortex/Carn'Evil are also recruiting now and may also be closed by the time the full list is published.

I have no clue who the rest of the people are and which of the many Spirits of Burning Man they represent nor how they organise nor how accepting they are of newbies/outsiders etc but would appreciate some direction to help me navigate all this. When do other camps start organising? Where do we find them/find out about them? That kind of thing.

There is also a consideration for those of us coming from abroad of not being able to truly participate in much of the pre-event construction, planning and team-building so we may end up feeling like we are crashing someone else's party no matter how much we are keen to contribute.

I guess the way I had initially thought to approach it was to try and make some kind of email contact and chat to people online first to see who I would naturally connect with. Or see if someone wanted to Car/Resource pool with me from San Francisco or elsewhere to the Burn and develop some kind of connection that way. Seems that it is all still too early to tell but for those of us coming from quite a way away it helps to be able to plan a bit. I still need to book my flights. :?
We look at our reflection in a still pool and it gives us a perspective on who we are, but we do not know how deep it goes until we dip into the pool and past the image, necessarily disturbing the surface in the process.
TheMirror

Postby Alex_uk » Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:02 am

well thx very much dj i will certainly mail her.

well mate it does seem that on the eplaya there can be little cliques but i dont believe this is true of the event.

i myself am camping witht the apokiliptika camp and plan to get very involved. my project is being constructed in a manner that it can be flat packed and assembled on playa allowing me to get a big project out there by plane. (info in the art installations thread under balloons)
yeah mate i do get down south, some of my fam live in portsmouth, maybe next time im down there i can detour and grab a pint, im yet to meet a uk burner in real life:)

im yet to book flights but i am going to try dj's mate and also recomend deckchair.com, i found one for 350 quid which is much much cheaper than any other, almost half price in fact.
hagey runs the international burner hostel, there is thread on the theme camp section with all details and his web site.
this guy is a complete legend at BM, he opens his house to all international travel burners for next to no cost (although it is expected that a donation is made, whisch is far more than reasonable) and you can also camp with the hostel too, they have a load of members in there camp from what i gather.
he also runs the ride share scheme to get into bm, you give him your details and he hooks you up with lift which is very cool. I reckon whereevr you fly to in the states you will get a ride to bm
Alex_uk

Postby Alex_uk » Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:06 am

i think last year he had something like 500 ppl stop at his home at some point and about 80 camped with the hostel. coming from abroad? this guy is a must, he has hooked me up with all the info i needed and couldnt have planned it without him or my campmates.
poss one of the kindest ppl i have ever heard of, imagine opening your home to so many ppl you have never even met
Alex_uk

Just another thought for you...

Postby shellybean » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:12 am

Hey,
you may want to check out tribe.net. there are a lot of burning man tribes there and it is a good way to get in touch with a large amount of burners. There are posts looking for volunteers once on the Playa and all sorts of good stuff. :lol: You can always pm me and i will do what i can to point you in the right direction.
good luck and I'll see ya on the playa!
michelle
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow; Learn as if you were to live forever."
Mahatma Ghandi
shellybean

Just another thought for you...

Postby shellybean » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:13 am

Hey,
you may want to check out tribe.net. there are a lot of burning man tribes there and it is a good way to get in touch with a large amount of burners. There are posts looking for volunteers once on the Playa and all sorts of good stuff. :lol: You can always pm me and i will do what i can to point you in the right direction.
good luck and I'll see ya on the playa!
michelle
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow; Learn as if you were to live forever."
Mahatma Ghandi
shellybean

Return to 2011 Share Resources