concerning scholarships..

Yep, you can buy, sell, barter or gift them here.

concerning scholarships..

Postby Prime Duchess » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:48 am

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm new here and this will be my first burn.
So I recived a scholarship for this year. I need to bring a copy of the award notice(and proper ID) to the front gate when I arrive? Anything else?
Anyone have any problems with this? Is there a secret handshake I need to know? HA
Since I am a 'newb' any imput is appreciated (and the fact that I have to come from Michigan and the thought of finally getting there and not getting in would kill me.)
Prime Duchess

Postby Ranger Genius » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:31 am

We call them "virgins," dear. And the ticket staff is relatively efficient. Your award letter and photo ID should be sufficient. The secret handshake involves removing all your clothes and painting yourself bright blue. It gets really silly from there.

There are no dumb questions. But there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

scholarship

Postby bex » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:28 am

just make sure that the name you applied for the scholarship under is the same as the one on your ID or you won't be able to get your ticket from will call.
bex

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp of Doom!

concerning tix

Postby samdu » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:15 pm

i volunteered at box office last year. the best piece of advice i can give you is, just before you start packing, make sure you have your picture id and your scholarship paper. then, halfway through your packing, make sure you have your picture id and scholarship paper. when you're through packing, make sure you have your picture id and scholarship paper. every day, check on the whereabouts of your picture id and scholarship paper. check 17 times before you get on the plane.

the box office folks try really hard to please everybody, but when you show up with no scholarship paper, no picture id, and there's no record of you having been awarded a scholarship, their hands are tied. no, they cannot "sell you somebody else's scholarship ticket", (yes, somebody asked us to do that), no, they cannot check your e-mail for you to see if the scholarship that you're pretty sure you were awarded accidently got put into the trash can, no, they can't just decide to be nice and sell you a scholarship ticket 'cause they think you're cute and you might have good drugs to share. and yes, people do ask for those things.

on another note, how the hell is grand rapids? i got out of there 4 years ago, and have never looked back. there is a pretty active burner community in detroit, and the ann arbor area is starting to warm up too. you should see about getting involved with them. i know somebody has a huge school bus that they drive to BRC from somewhere in the LP, and they put out a notice for people to ride share with them. it might be a better, more fun way for you to get there than by plane, if you can get the extra time off work or school. a great way to meet some really cool people, kind of get the vibe before you hit the playa.

hope you have a great first year, and remember, check on the whereabouts of your picture id and scholarship EVERY DAY UNTIL YOU LEAVE!!!!

soupy sam
samdu

Postby Prime Duchess » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:10 pm

Yeah I was thinking of making multiple copies and stashing them in my luggage, giving one to some friends meeting us there, and carrying one on me.
I'm most likely taking the train out *ugh* 48 hour ride!

Grand Rapids, is suprisingly getting better all the time. The art scene here is booming. Its exciting. I had planned on moving to Chicago soon but I think I'll stay here for a bit longer and be involved in the art scene here., ya know leave my mark so to speak.
yeah, I joined the yahoo group for michigan burners(most of them seem to be on the east side) they are all really nice, helpful, creative people.
I had considered doing the ride share thing with some people(possibly the ones with the bus) but they are going out a week early to help set up and I'm traveling with my boyfriend who would rather take the train which is cool(its cheap).
Wee!
Prime Duchess

Postby Bronwen » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:35 pm

What is this scholarship thing about?!! I get scholarships for school almost every year. Is this the same sort of thing?! PLEASE share info! Thanks :D
Bronwen

Postby Prime Duchess » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:03 pm

Taken from the Burning Man tickets main page:

"SCHOLARSHIP TICKETS
The ticket scholarship program also distributes a limited number of low cost tickets each month. For questions or to request consideration for the monthly allotment please email ON OR AFTER JANUARY 5th to: scholarship [AT] burningman [DOT] com and you will be emailed the link to the online application. UPDATE: The application may not be available on January 5th exactly but shortly after.

If you do not have easy computer access, send a request to the above email address or write our PO Box with your physical mailing address and we will mail you a paper application.
Deadline to apply: July 1, 2005.
Mailing address: Burning Man
PO Box 884688, San Francisco CA 94188-4688"
Prime Duchess

Postby Rhiannon » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:26 pm

Hello, okay I am very very new to this whole thing, INFACT I just discovered it by accident today - well yesterday now, but anyway...
I am not sure what this whole scholarship thing is about and how I qualify or if I qualify for it. I am a student in College and have basically zero income at the moment, is that what makes me eligible? Or is it based on what I am taking in school, or my contribution in other ways to the event... sorry for my ignorance, but I am just not sure what I am supposed to ask here.
Rhiannon

Postby Ranger Genius » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:32 pm

I think it's a pretty broad spectrum of qualifications, from need to merit. just send an email to the above address, and they'll send you details.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

Postby blueniteowl » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:05 am

Here are the details from the main site:

SCHOLARSHIP TICKETS
The ticket scholarship program also distributes a limited number of low cost tickets each month. For questions or to request consideration for the monthly allotment please email ON OR AFTER JANUARY 5th to: scholarship [AT] burningman [DOT] com and you will be emailed the link to the online application. UPDATE: The application may not be available on January 5th exactly but shortly after.

If you do not have easy computer access, send a request to the above email address or write our PO Box with your physical mailing address and we will mail you a paper application.
Deadline to apply: July 1, 2005.
Mailing address: Burning Man
PO Box 884688, San Francisco CA 94188-4688

You can also find information about the low income tickets by way of this link:

http://tickets.burningman.com/
blueniteowl

Postby blueniteowl » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:22 am

That link also has a link to the low income application, or find it here:

http://tickets.burningman.com/lowcosttix

Low income tickets are different from scholarship tickets, though I'm not exactly sure how.
blueniteowl

Return to 2005 Tickets