Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Don't Let People Piss In Your Pocket...

Postby Last Real Burner » Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:54 pm

Any other new burners out there. Introduce yourselves. 8)

your undying host,
the rebbi
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".
Last Real Burner

Postby nymphgonebad » Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:12 pm

Kinetic wrote:24 lbs is impressive. I look at food and gain weight.

I did so good on the playa with losing weight, no chocolate, no caffeine, lots of water. I come home and I'm back into my bad habits again. I gotta try harder.

Reba I'll PM that to you, I'm sure if a winter beer wants to take a trip East that I can give it a nice welcome.

And is there anything Bob doesn't grumble about? :)

reba, i lost 30 lbs this year and have kept it off with, i believe, the aid of chocolate and alchohol! congradulations - not carrying around that extra weight makes life lots more fun, doesn't it?

i have to get my friend anca on this board - she brews caffinated beer. plus, she just rocks my world!
nymphgonebad

Another Newbie Here

Postby zanaru » Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:34 pm

Greetings All!

2004 will be my first burn. I can resist no longer after hearing my friends go on and on for the past 10 years.

I have scoured the BM site for information.
Signed up for JRS.
Lurked around EPlaya for the past month to check out the "vibe".
Signed up for info from the SoloCollective.
Hit up my engineer/artist brother for structure help.
He is kindly loaning me his bicycle rickshaw (sp?) outiftted with solar powered fairie lights.

What are your thoughts on offering rides (it holds two passengers) in exchange for stories? Is that too barter like?
zanaru

Re: Another Newbie Here

Postby Kinetic » Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:39 pm

zanaru wrote:Greetings All!

2004 will be my first burn. I can resist no longer after hearing my friends go on and on for the past 10 years.

I have scoured the BM site for information.
Signed up for JRS.
Lurked around EPlaya for the past month to check out the "vibe".
Signed up for info from the SoloCollective.
Hit up my engineer/artist brother for structure help.
He is kindly loaning me his bicycle rickshaw (sp?) outiftted with solar powered fairie lights.

What are your thoughts on offering rides (it holds two passengers) in exchange for stories? Is that too barter like?

Your post shows your on the right track with your prep work. Actually it's pretty impressive.

The rickshaw idea sounds good too, and it's not "barter" like, imho. Considering the work you would put into in handling the rickshaw, I feel this would be a gift! And all for a story? I would gladly give that and most likely a lot more. And for a first timer this would be a great way to learn more about the burners around you....

That's all a long way of saying I absolutely love the idea. I'd find someone to help take turns with pedaling that rickshaw though.
Kinetic

Postby precipitate » Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:49 pm

> What are your thoughts on offering rides (it holds two passengers) in
> exchange for stories? Is that too barter like?

No. It's perfect.
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Appreciate the help.

Postby zanaru » Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:19 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I will be pedaling the thing up and down San Francisco hills in preparation. Hopefully the HOT, flat will be easier than the hills. It has a little roof and carrying space for my water. We'll see how long I can last.

I would also like to say that you guys make for GREAT reading. I have learned so much from these boards. Reminds me of family "debates". I hope to chime in more often.
zanaru

Postby dust devil » Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:03 pm

My name is Pat. Burning Man 2003 was my sixth stay in Black Rock City. For the last three my mate and I have camped with the Alternative Energy Zone village.

Each time after returning to Mundania (a little south of San Francisco) I find myself making notes on what I learned, what worked, what didn't work, what I forgot, what I should have left home...might post some of that on the ePlaya, as time allows.
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness.
dust devil

Re: Don't Let People Piss In Your Pocket...

Postby Amoeba » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:17 am

Last Real Burner wrote:Any other new burners out there. Introduce yourselves. 8)

your undying host,
the rebbi

OK fine - you finally got me. :roll:

I found out about Burning Man via such a very obscure and tortuous trail through various internet sites that I consider it a minor miracle. Correction: a major miracle. In spite of the fact that my sister keeps giving me these very strange looks every time she sees what I am spending all my time doing...........I'll convert her yet, though :twisted: I live a weird enough life all the rest of the time that it she really has no justification to think that BM is all that odd.

So when I discovered BM in July (On my birthday 8) ) I groaned in agony when it became clear that I was really to late to start planning to go this year - so I did the next best thing and spent far more hours than I ought hours looking at & reading everything I could find on the website & JRS etc. (Maybe I should correct the tense and say "am spending" instead...) And doing an inventory of the stuff I could use - we have a collection of bikes of all ages, sizes, and genres in the garage, and a great selection of angle iron and other assorted useful structural items out back. Not enough rebar though - I'm working on that.

And after all that, the live webcast of the burn didn't cast! :cry: But I was with you in spirit.

Next year on the playa....
**THE AMOEBA OF THE BASKERVILLES**
There are strange things done 'neath the midnight sun,by the men who moil for gold;
The arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold...
Amoeba

Re: Appreciate the help.

Postby nymphgonebad » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:17 am

zanaru wrote:Thanks for the feedback.

I will be pedaling the thing up and down San Francisco hills in preparation. Hopefully the HOT, flat will be easier than the hills. It has a little roof and carrying space for my water. We'll see how long I can last.

I would also like to say that you guys make for GREAT reading. I have learned so much from these boards. Reminds me of family "debates". I hope to chime in more often.

hey zanaru ( cool name, love to learn the origin). welcome to the revolution.

seriously.

the bodygeek holistic health care co-op is currently hiring. we would like to engage your rickshaw services for parties and upcoming events in the bay area, including but not exclusive to: the royal wedding of princess strych-9 and sir michael the unwell ( duke of the blasted lands ). the royal couple will be getting married on oct 18, 2003 at wilbur hot springs, ca. the royal wedding weekend begins on fri oct 17 at 3 pm and will probably continue to go on in some fashion or another for eternity.

your mission, should you choose to except it, would be to ferry people to and fro along the dusty path that leads from the hotel to the parking lot at wilbur. i suspect it will be much better practice than the hills of sf ( i've got two words for you: charlie horse. sound like fun? ), being as how it's flat, dusty, unpaved ( look ma, no shinsplints!" ) and you're far less likely to get run over by some rabid bike messenger on her way to the tempest to meet her 19 year old crank dealer.

not only will you receive kick ass gifts, enuf stories to write volumes that surpass proust, both in length and breadth, and the pleasure of the company of at least 70 seasoned burners ( mmmm, thyme and garlic, my favorite ), about 50 newbies, and your fellow staff members, but you will also be put on the payroll. and i'm talkin mad loot.

the royal couple eagerly await your reply.
nymphgonebad

Postby JezebelinHell » Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:07 am

I've been on this board a while, but my identity was sadly lost in the changeover. If I try and log in with my old name it tells me it doesn't exist, but when I tried to register with it it said it was taken. I was Datura back before the update, in case anyone's keeping score, and 2004 will be my third burn.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe
JezebelinHell

hey! who cut out the lights, damint. I wasn't finished......

Postby Rabbi Dali Rick » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:22 am

Wow.. I am floored you guys are just awesome and some of you haven't even burned yet, and that thick layer of everyday bulshit life is starting to become transparent and show that special inner being, that has always been there but well hidden from the outside world. Unfortunately we have become so good at hiding that person an out of sight out of mind mentality takes over and alas we never have a chance to walk as our trueselves. I am so glad to meet all of you and can't wait to see you at the meet and greet (m&g or m/g, everybody calls it something different) the big meet and greet party we have on the playa to connect the names with the faces here. And of course you all are invited. It was held this year at Dr. Pyro's burningman digs, "Barbie Death Camp", I heard it was a smash but I could not make it to the burn so it was all hearsay. Next year though....

Anybody doing fire based, like fire/poi spinning?

There are so many more out there reading this as I write it, I am wondering what you are like? I wish you would say something even if you don't log in and speak as a guest. Just say "Hi!". In this thread you will not be spoken mean to, made light of, or embarassed, unless of course you provoke someone in which case you will simply be ignored. We are here mostly to have fun and continue our yearlong celebration of friendship, community, and peoplehood. You are welcome here. You are encourge to speak up, to go forth, to build, to change, and to burndown everything.

"I look inside myself, and all I see is you."

eternally yours,
the rebbi
Rabbi Dali Rick

Postby Ivy » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:23 am

Anybody doing fire based, like fire/poi spinning?

I clocked myself a good one in the cheekbone with my poi Monday night. Does that count?

Oh, wait, you wanted to hear from the new people...
Ivy

Postby J » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:24 am

I like setting things on fire. Does that count?

J
J

Postby JezebelinHell » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:27 am

I've sustained enough substantial injuries to the 'head region' with my non flaming nunchakus. I think lighting them on fire would just be asking for trouble. My boss Sam hangs out in the fire conclave though, spins fire real purty.
--Poe
JezebelinHell

Re: Appreciate the help.

Postby zanaru » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:29 am

[quote="princess strych-9]the royal couple eagerly await your reply.[/quote]

Your Highness, I am so sad to report that said rickshaw is in Pismo Beach until I take possession around the family holidays (Turkey Feast and such). Hill training will start around the New Year. But I do appreciate the proposition.

Zanaru is a lesser incarnation of the Goddess Ishtar. My brothers called me Zanni Boo growing up, it's close, I like it, I took it for my own.

I wish you joyous rapture and crazy shenanigans for your upcoming nuptials!!
zanaru

Postby nymphgonebad » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:32 am

vonfunk wrote:I like setting things on fire. Does that count?

J

how bout self immolation (sp?) it seems to be the underlying theme for '03.
nymphgonebad

Postby Kinetic » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:25 am

Jezebel, I was wondering where Datura went...it's good to have you back.

Zanaru, until this year I had never been into SF itself, but after seeing those hills if you can train there, you'll be able to do anything. I pulled my trailer up the hills just South of the Presidio and I'm like it's pretty but there's no way I'd live on hills like that. To climb them on a bike would be tough, and a rickshaw...oh my god, there's no way!

If it was me, I'd take Princess Strych-9's offer and run with it.
Kinetic

Postby JezebelinHell » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:28 am

Dammit, I hate to quote South Park characters (just because it's done so excessively everywhere else), but I have to quote chef now:

"In india, as a symbol of protest, a priest lit himself on fire. I will do just that right now to prove my opposition" (proceeds to light a priest on fire)
--Poe
JezebelinHell

Postby DhC » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:31 am

There are so many more out there reading this as I write it, I am wondering what you are like? .... Just say "Hi!".

"Hi"
I'm a virgin and wanna be 2004 burner. However there's a few problems to be solved first, so I've been reading and lurking n' learning. Perhaps in a few months I'll be able to happily announce I'll be there.
DhC

Yeah, but will it burn...

Postby Rabbi Dali Rick » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:38 am

DhC wrote:
"Hi"
I'm a virgin and wanna be 2004 burner. However there's a few problems to be solved first, so I've been reading and lurking n' learning. Perhaps in a few months I'll be able to happily announce I'll be there.

Dood, if you need any help just ask. That's what we're here for, and I mean anything we have the most knoweldge and brightest people in the world on this board from nuclear physisist to ichiban drinkers whose's knowledge encompasses everything from absynth to zanadu. You came to the right place, welcome home.

eturnally yours,
the rebbi
Rabbi Dali Rick

Postby DhC » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:52 am

Thank you for the warm welcome. I think I can figure out the practical stuff, lack of transport, lack of $, lack of muscle for pounding rebar. But what would you-all say if your Mother called and said, I wanna be a burner too???
DhC

Look Ma No Hands....

Postby Rabbi Dali Rick » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:54 am

DhC wrote:Thank you for the warm welcome. I think I can figure out the practical stuff, lack of transport, lack of $, lack of muscle for pounding rebar. But what would you-all say if your Mother called and said, I wanna be a burner too???

We're splitting the drive?

quoxiodically,
the rebbi
Rabbi Dali Rick

Postby nymphgonebad » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:06 am

DhC wrote:Thank you for the warm welcome. I think I can figure out the practical stuff, lack of transport, lack of $, lack of muscle for pounding rebar. But what would you-all say if your Mother called and said, I wanna be a burner too???

i'm sorry but if you want to come with me, you're going to have to help me finish off the drugs. and no, you can't have sex in my tent.
nymphgonebad

Postby J » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:09 am

DhC wrote: I think I can figure out the practical stuff, lack of transport, lack of $, lack of muscle for pounding rebar.

Now are you near the lake or in the lake.

I planned on bringing clothes, tent , sleeping bag, gifts things like that with me by plane. Then picking up coolers, and things to sustain me when I get to Reno.

J
J

Postby JezebelinHell » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:10 am

MY mother??? "Stay out of my stash, that has to last me all week. Keep your damn clothes on. Stop hitting on that guy, he's clearly on his way over to Jiffy Lube."
--Poe
JezebelinHell

Postby DhC » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:13 am

Princess Strych-9 wrote

i'm sorry but if you want to come with me, you're going to have to help me finish off the drugs. and no, you can't have sex in my tent.

Couldn't I just finish off the chocolate instead?? Nobody over 50 admits to having sex because it blows the minds of the youngsters (scares the horses too)
DhC

Postby precipitate » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:18 am

> But what would you-all say if your Mother called and said, I wanna be
> a burner too???

Sure, but if you sing while I'm sleeping you will be pelted with beer cans.
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Don't Move! There's A Big Bug On Your Head......

Postby Rabbi Dali Rick » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:30 am

LMAO

the rebbi
Rabbi Dali Rick

Postby DhC » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:32 am

Von Funk wrote
Now are you near the lake or in the lake.

Right next to the lake, but during the left over from the hurricane I thought in the lake.
I like to drive cross country, that way I could take lots with me and sleep in the car.
DhC

Postby Niacin » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:32 am

"What would Dad think of your newfound playa-slut title?"

Max
lebenskunstler - noun, German - someone for whom life is an art form.
Niacin

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Zondermaan

PreviousNext

Return to Introduce Yourself!