Could you put up the rideshare board NOW?

Want to request a new feature? You've come to the right place...

Could you put up the rideshare board NOW?

Postby HughMungus » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:46 pm

Could someone put up the rideshare board NOW so people can make plans? A lot of us are coming from far away and need to be able to coordinte dates/times and get the time off work, etc., NOW.
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Re: Could you put up the rideshare board NOW?

Postby technopatra » Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:38 am

DallasPlaya wrote:Could someone put up the rideshare board NOW so people can make plans? A lot of us are coming from far away and need to be able to coordinte dates/times and get the time off work, etc., NOW.

"Friends and good manners will carry you where money won't go."
- Margaret Walker

I will try to overlook your complete lack of the latter and try to be one of the former by pointing you towards that which you might have easily found, by yourself and with little effort, on the main site:

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/r ... share.html

You also have the option of posting in the "Share" forum, tho I do hope for your sake that your request be made with a touch of politeness there.
technopatra

Postby Isotopia » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:03 pm

You GO grrrl.
Isotopia

Postby stuart » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:21 am

elvis costello said good manners and bad breath will get ya nowwhere.
call me baby
stuart

Postby technopatra » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:26 am

Yeah but good breath and bad manners will get you nowhere good.
technopatra

Postby spanky » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:23 pm

This is in process. The link is not up from the rideshare page (yet).

The link is:
http://www.burningman.com/calendar/yearround/view_entry.php?id=1370&date=20050829

but you may have to go to this URL first to get "logged in".

http://www.burningman.com/calendar/yearround/

We are working on replacing this calendar system, since, yes, it sucks. But for now, it works.
~Spanky

\<>/
spanky

Postby Traveller » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:47 am

HughMungus wrote:Could someone put up the rideshare board NOW so people can make plans? A lot of us are coming from far away and need to be able to coordinte dates/times and get the time off work, etc., NOW.

Yeah, I'm responding to a one year old post, but this topic got raised a number of times in the year that followed, and this particular post is a great illustration of something I've been noticing lately that's been getting under my skin. This attitude that something needs to be done NOW, by somebody ELSE. What happened to DIY?

Hugh, you've already been pointed in the direction of the official Burning Man rideshare board. Let's say that you don't like it, because instead of looking like a traditional board (like ePlaya) that let's you see everything at once, it's more of a matching service. I don't see why that would be a problem for somebody, but let's say that it is. Fine.

Then the unhappy would-be user can go over to an unofficial Burning Man travellers' board which I set up, complete with two discussion lists and a homepage. Setting this up was easy and you could have done the same, easily. Instead, you griped at Technopatra about what she wasn't doing. "Can you put up the board NOW." Why so hostile, about that? And then 6 months later, you're back with the same request, albeit phrased a little more politely.

In 6 months, you couldn't set up your own free website? Total cost to the guy setting the unofficial rideboard up (me), $0.00. Time spent - minimal. I don't know if anybody is ever going to use these things, seeing as the LLC has an official rideshare system going, but at least I did something other than just complain.

Next time, you might consider doing the same. No offense.
Traveller

Postby HughMungus » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:33 am

Traveller wrote:
HughMungus wrote:Could someone put up the rideshare board NOW so people can make plans? A lot of us are coming from far away and need to be able to coordinte dates/times and get the time off work, etc., NOW.

Yeah, I'm responding to a one year old post, but this topic got raised a number of times in the year that followed, and this particular post is a great illustration of something I've been noticing lately that's been getting under my skin. This attitude that something needs to be done NOW, by somebody ELSE. What happened to DIY?

Hugh, you've already been pointed in the direction of the official Burning Man rideshare board. Let's say that you don't like it, because instead of looking like a traditional board (like ePlaya) that let's you see everything at once, it's more of a matching service. I don't see why that would be a problem for somebody, but let's say that it is. Fine.

Then the unhappy would-be user can go over to an unofficial Burning Man travellers' board which I set up, complete with two discussion lists and a homepage. Setting this up was easy and you could have done the same, easily. Instead, you griped at Technopatra about what she wasn't doing. "Can you put up the board NOW." Why so hostile, about that? And then 6 months later, you're back with the same request, albeit phrased a little more politely.

In 6 months, you couldn't set up your own free website? Total cost to the guy setting the unofficial rideboard up (me), $0.00. Time spent - minimal. I don't know if anybody is ever going to use these things, seeing as the LLC has an official rideshare system going, but at least I did something other than just complain.

Next time, you might consider doing the same. No offense.

Excuse me. Could someone point out how I've been "hostile"? All I did was ask that the the rideshare board be put up earlier than usual?

People, this is the internet. Don't assume people's personalities, mannerisms, or attitudes over an internet connection. Somehow some of you are assuming that I'm being demanding or rude. Please note the very key word "COULD" as in, "Could this be done now?", a question, instead of a demand or complaint. The reason I used capitals in the word "NOW" is because it seems we'd all be better off with the rideshare board being put up much earlier than it has in the past. The irony is that I asked because I had rides to give and wanted to help others with rides as I have in the past, not because I needed, wanted, or expected anything from anyone else.

I hesitate to be critical of your idea of having a whole different board to send people to because you might think that constructice criticism is also, somehow, "hostile", but (ahem), sending people to yet another website in order to coordinate activities is not a good idea when we already have the same resources and user base here. I know I could have setup my own website. But that would have split and confused the userbase here when, instead of "gaping at" someone I could have just waited patiently for the current system to be "fixed".
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby Traveller » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:13 am

HughMungus wrote:Excuse me. Could someone point out how I've been "hostile"? All I did was ask that the the rideshare board be put up earlier than usual?

No, Hugh, what you wrote is right up there in the title - "Could you put up the rideshare board NOW?", the use of caps for NOW being yours. Buddy, that's considered rude almost everywhere, so reliably so that it made for a halfway decent punchline in Addams Family Values

Morticia: "What's the magic word?"

Wednesday: "Can you pass the biscuits NOW?"

Morticia: "That's better"

Or something like that.

HughMungus wrote:People, this is the internet.

Where the use of caps has customarily been taken to be equivalent to shouting, for longer than the Web has been in existence.

HughMungus wrote:Don't assume people's personalities, mannerisms, or attitudes over an internet connection.

In other words, we're not supposed to credit ourselves with the ability to read. Got you.

HughMungus wrote:Somehow some of you are assuming that I'm being demanding or rude. Please note the very key word "COULD" as in, "Could this be done now?", a question, instead of a demand or complaint. The reason I used capitals in the word "NOW"

completely changing the meaning of the sentence in the process, but let's not obsess on facts

HughMungus wrote:is because it seems we'd all be better off with the rideshare board being put up much earlier than it has in the past. The irony is that I asked because I had rides to give and wanted to help others with rides as I have in the past, not because I needed, wanted, or expected anything from anyone else.

Aside from the creation and manning of a new board.

HughMungus wrote:I hesitate to be critical of your idea of having a whole different board to send people to because you might think that constructice criticism is also, somehow, "hostile",

No, Hugh, Technopatra seemed to think that your tone was hostile, and if so, I agree. "Could you do this please" is a request. "Could you do this NOW" is a demand, and I think that you know that.

HughMungus wrote:but (ahem), sending people to yet another website in order to coordinate activities is not a good idea when we already have the same resources and user base here.

Technically, no. Do the math - 30,000 attendees, less than 2,000 members on this board - obviously, not all burners use ePlaya.

HughMungus wrote:I know I could have setup my own website. But that would have split and confused the userbase here when,

How is the userbase going to be "split and confused" by the establishment of a backup resource, with a link right back to the offical Burning Man rideshare system located right on its homepage?

HughMungus wrote:instead of "gaping at" someone I could have just waited patiently for the current system to be "fixed".

You shower Technopatra with hostility because she hasn't gotten a board going according to your own personal timetable, and then want to get preachy about patience? Good one.
Traveller

Postby HughMungus » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:48 am

Traveller wrote:You shower Technopatra with hostility because she hasn't gotten a board going according to your own personal timetable, and then want to get preachy about patience? Good one.

I'm sorry that your mis-interpretation of my original post caused so much anxiety for you. Thanks for taking the time to explain myself to me so much more clearly than I previously understood and defend those who you think can't handle their own business.
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Stepped in it again?

Postby Rockdad » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:50 am

Hee Haw he he he LMAO!
:lol:
Eplaya Bar Camp 2006 "What will it be"

The Eplaya Bar Camp Blog
Rockdad

Re: Stepped in it again?

Postby HughMungus » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:53 am

Rockdad wrote:Hee Haw he he he LMAO!
:lol:

That was my reaction, too. But I didn't want to seem to be showering anyone with hostility (again).
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby spectabillis » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:19 pm

HughMungus wrote:I'm sorry that your mis-interpretation of my original post caused so much anxiety for you. Thanks for taking the time to explain myself to me so much more clearly than I previously understood and defend those who you think can't handle their own business.

Thumbs up, way to respond my man.
spectabillis

Postby Burnboy » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:30 pm

HughMungus wrote: Thanks for taking the time to explain myself to me so much more clearly than I previously understood and defend those who you think can't handle their own business.

Community begins with the words "I've got your back". To stand up for somebody who has been wrongly attacked is to do nothing more than to show that those words mean something.

Technopatra can "handle her own business" without our help being offered, no doubt, but what a sad show of ingratitude on our part for her years of effort on our behalves if we ask her to.
Burnboy

Postby HughMungus » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:04 pm

Burnboy wrote:
HughMungus wrote: Thanks for taking the time to explain myself to me so much more clearly than I previously understood and defend those who you think can't handle their own business.

Community begins with the words "I've got your back". To stand up for somebody who has been wrongly attacked is to do nothing more than to show that those words mean something.

Technopatra can "handle her own business" without our help being offered, no doubt, but what a sad show of ingratitude on our part for her years of effort on our behalves if we ask her to.

I agree. In this case, however, there was no reason for someone else to step in with their opinion about my attitude. It serves no purpose whatsoever.
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby spectabillis » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:35 pm

I think your right burnboy, and someone raised this to my attention. My intention was to validate his improvement in postings, but it was not done right.

My apologies.

But could we please move the drift and personal stuff off the ePlaya Feedback?
spectabillis

Postby spanky » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:30 pm

2006 rideshare is now up. Sorry about that, we thought we'd done it WAY earlier.

http://burningman.com/preparation/trave ... share.html

~Spanky
spanky

Alternative carpool/rideshare site

Postby Jesus » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:30 am

What's up with http://www.burningmanridefinder.com/ ?

It says:
** www.burningmanridefinder.com is not affiliated with www.burningman.com or any of it's affiliates **

I can't figure out what the slant is of this.

Perhaps noncommercial, but the ToS suggests it may not be in future (credit card info references).

Anyone know who's running it? domain registrant is
..., Richard ... (at gmail)

Same registrant as for rickyride.com

Thoughts? I recall that last year a lot of folks (half?) just read or posted to the boards instead of using the official rideshare listing system.

I just got bulk email directing me there :!:

-- Mod note - edited to remove name of person per TOS. bb ---
Jesus

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Black Rock Roller Disco//SF, CA

Postby Lassen Forge » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:26 am

To respond to the question - as best I can...

My guess is someone set up a rideshare board for the Burner community. While I giggled at the person posting from Benghazi, Lybia, it seems legit.

I have seen similar rideshare opportunities on various sites (such as Tribe, FB, etc.) and yes, they do NOT have an official standing with Burning Man, but instead are set up by burners like you.

BB, mod at large, ePlaya
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Jesus » Wed May 25, 2011 8:43 am

Thanks for providing what info you can, BB. I agree.

I think trademark law suggests that the org must defend its trademark against unauthorized use, if that's what this use is, license the use, or lose the mark. Or something like that.

BTW, I read through section 7 of the ToS and don't see a match. What subsection did I violate by posting the whois info? I don't want to violate the ToS. Even if I didn't, I don't mind keeping the registrant's personal info off the board.
Jesus

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Black Rock Roller Disco//SF, CA

Return to Feature Requests