Burning Man-- Change the dates? Or not?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Would changing the dates make your life easier?

No thank you, don't change anything.
51%
I am a student and BM falls on the first week or two of school.
7%
I am a teacher/professor/educator and BM falls on the first week or two of school.
10%
I am a parent of a school aged child and BM falls on the first week or two of school.
10%
My partner is a student or educator, and the current dates make it difficult for us to attend BM.
6%
I would like the dates changed for other reasons.
17%

Total votes : 120

Burning Man-- Change the dates? Or not?

Postby Stormy » Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:16 pm

This is just a test run. I will try and find ways to contact others effected who don't normally read E-playa. Thanks for your help here, and please spread the word, if you would.

~Stormy
Stormy

Postby Borris » Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:24 pm

Hey, it's good for me as it is, i'll get to celebrate my 30th birthday on the Playa next year (Thursday sep. 2nd before the burn). might even coincide with the M&G

you can start prepairing your gifts!!!!
Shit, where was i for the last week... ehm...
Borris

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: DPW

Postby Stormy » Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:32 pm

Borris wrote:Hey, it's good for me as it is, i'll get to celebrate my 30th birthday on the Playa next year (Thursday sep. 2nd before the burn). might even coincide with the M&G

you can start prepairing your gifts!!!!

Sorry dude, I will most likely miss you birthday as I will be working and could lose my teaching credential if I don't report for the first week of work. Have fun!! :wink:
Be the change you seek in the world.
Stormy

Postby antron » Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:35 pm

i have to admit that laborday preweek isn't the greatest time to schedule the burn, but i don't think that there's really any other time that woudn't cause some kind of dislocation to someone's schedule.
antron

Postby Stormy » Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:40 pm

antrony wrote:i have to admit that laborday preweek isn't the greatest time to schedule the burn, but i don't think that there's really any other time that woudn't cause some kind of dislocation to someone's schedule.

Tis true. Though I wish in my case that the only week out of the year that could cause me to lose my job and possibly my credential (for many years or life) is kind of a bummer.
Stormy

Postby L:Gringo » Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:00 pm

Though I vote for no change, I agree that it's inconvenient for some. I'm a manufacturer, and it's one of my busiest weeks. But, well, fuck it. If I wanna see the Man go, I gotta be there. Next year, I hope I make it (I missed 2001 and 2002). And if I do, I'll give all of you chips and salsa!

--We all gotta do something to live...

--L:Gringo
We all will burn someday...
L:Gringo

Postby Chimp » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:45 am

Xmas

Could take the whole gift giving thing a whole step further
Chimp

Postby Flon » Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:33 am

Chimp wrote:Xmas

Could take the whole gift giving thing a whole step further

It would take the whole "radical self-reliance" thing to another level too (average low of 20 F; frequent flooding of the playa).
Flon

Postby Badger » Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:40 am

It would take the whole "radical self-reliance" thing to another level too (average low of 20 F; frequent flooding of the playa).

Agreed. The coldest I've ever been in this life was spending a night on the playa in November.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:45 am

Baiting the obvious follow-up question, Badger wrote:The coldest I've ever been in this life was spending a night on the playa in November.

How cold have you been in another life?

Postby Borris » Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:53 am

you should try ladakh mountains, 5,200 meters mid august. I belive temp outside was around the -20 C
Shit, where was i for the last week... ehm...
Borris

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: DPW

Postby PJ » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:06 pm

Borris wrote:you should try ladakh mountains, 5,200 meters mid august. I belive temp outside was around the -20 C

You're all weenies. I've spent years in places where we had weeks with a "high" of negative 101°F.
PJ

Postby precipitate » Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:36 pm

How about an "I'm indifferent to whether the dates change or not, it won't
affect whether I attend" choice?
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Postby TestesInSac » Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:53 pm

precipitate wrote:How about an "I'm indifferent to whether the dates change or not, it won't
affect whether I attend" choice?

I think abstaining has that effect, but I don't think you get to see the poll results that way.
I am my own sock puppet.
TestesInSac

Postby glam_daddy » Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:43 pm

I voted for a date change. My gilrfirend always has a hard time arranging since she teaches. Kinda a bummer, but as someone pointed out, almost any time will conflict with something. Might have been a better poll if you combined all the 'first week of school' options into one, so you get a better idea of how that effects people over all....
glam_daddy

Postby Kinetic » Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:57 pm

PJ wrote:
Borris wrote:you should try ladakh mountains, 5,200 meters mid august. I belive temp outside was around the -20 C

You're all weenies. I've spent years in places where we had weeks with a "high" of negative 101°F.

I've made it to -38 with windchills of -70. Anything below -20 is just too damn cold. So what's a few more numbers...you still get the same nasty effects but you gain maybe a second or two more before they start in.

I'd take too hot over too cold though even though both suck.
Kinetic

Postby PJ » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:16 pm

Kinetic wrote:...I've made it to -38 with windchills of -70. Anything below -20 is just too damn cold...

Windchill is a value created for people too dumb to dress appropriately for the weather. It serves mainly to allow them to feel tough instead of stupid.

It's all relative. When, after a week at -100°F the weather "warms up" to -70°F, you feel much warmer working outside. You wouldn't think that'd be possible but strangely enough it is.
PJ

Postby PJ » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:17 pm

glam_daddy wrote:I voted for a date change. My gilrfirend always has a hard time arranging since she teaches...

The upside is, it's as good an opportunity to cheat on her as you're likely to get.
PJ

Postby Kinetic » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:42 pm

PJ wrote:
glam_daddy wrote:I voted for a date change. My gilrfirend always has a hard time arranging since she teaches...

The upside is, it's as good an opportunity to cheat on her as you're likely to get.

There are lots of opportunities to cheat out there. I avoided the whole cheating scenario by just holding off on making a commitment until I got back. Of course some people don't have that option.
Kinetic

Postby Stormy » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:49 pm

Oops, I see that editing a poll isn't possible, otherwise we could break down the choices into, no don't change the date, or indifferent.

Those indifferent, please choose "don't change." Or if you the dates don't effect you but you really want to help out teachers and students you can always choose, "change it for other reasons." Does that make any sense? Sorry a bit drowsy from anti-histimines.

If we do a more official poll later, I will add one more option.

Thanks.
Stormy

Postby nymphgonebad » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:14 pm

my vote is for yom kippor - most teachers get the jewish holidays off.

besides - atonement is good for the soul.
nymphgonebad

Postby diane o'thirst » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:43 pm

Flon wrote:It would take the whole "radical self-reliance" thing to another level too (average low of 20 F; frequent flooding of the playa).

Average low of 20ºF? Doesn't sound too far from what we endured in '99. As for the flooding...Floating World, anyone? ;D

:idea:MORE FIRE, MORE FIRE, MORE FIRE! =D
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

deeper issues

Postby Liverace » Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:05 pm

School, schmool! If you're willing to let academic hogwash get in the way of a good party you've got serious problems, folks.

Oh, and if you've reached adulthood without enough clever excuses up your sleeve to cut a week of school or work your high school education was woefully incomplete.

Ordinem innutum rumpi. (Rules were meant to be broken)

See what a good Catholic school education will do for ya?
It's better to spend money like there's no tomorrow than to spend tonight like there's no money. -PJ O'Rourke
Liverace

Postby nymphgonebad » Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:25 pm

diane o'thirst wrote:Floating World, anyone?

sure thing - any excuse to buy that sea kayak i've had my eyes on.

random thought: schreck and i brought our newbie friend, the drake, with us this year. he comes back to camp one day and sez to me: " this is how fucked up i am right now - i just saw a canoe with a flat tire."
nymphgonebad

Postby precipitate » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:23 am

> i just saw a canoe with a flat tire

There must have been a few canoes out there. As far as I know, ours
never had a flat. It did lose the starter cable at one point and had to be
pushed home from across the playa. But no flat tires. Ours raced another.
And won, of course. Maybe that was the one with the flat.
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Postby chickenfish » Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:13 am

How about attending one of the regional burns instead? Burning Flipside is in may, burning bush and fourth of juplaya are in july...There are many events that capture the spirit of burning man, albeit at a different level of intensity. I personally had a better time at burning bush this year than I did at Burning Man. Or better yet, start your own festival with a date that fits your schedule! The Week before BM is the mutant fest in Oregon...
chickenfish chickenfish you are not a pelican
chickenfish chickenfish your love is like a flea
chickenfish chickenfish your fins are so delicate
chickenfish chickenfish chicken of the sea
chickenfish

Postby Kinetic » Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:35 am

Off topic but Princess, what kind of sea kayak were you looking at?
Kinetic

Postby stuart » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:00 pm

this poll reads to my eyes

don't change it
change it cuz of school conflict
change it for another reason

not exactly unbiased
reminds me of those specious political polls
stuart

Postby RebA! » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:11 pm

I guess all I have to say is

"Waaaaaah! Its not when IIIIII want it to happen so it must change because of me"
"My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpets or ruin our lives."
--Rita Rudner
RebA!

Postby Catalysta » Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:10 pm

yeah i guess we should combine all the *school-change it's* into one.

I voted no change because i pretty much agree that it would always conflict with some people. But maybe i should've had more sympathy. I didn't go in 99 and 2000 because i went to a community college and they'd drop your classes if you weren't there that first week. So you'd miss a whole semester. Then in '01-'03 my school is quarter system.
For teachers, if they say they can't miss that week..they probably really can't...but it seems like parents could maybe sometimes work somthing out. Really sucks tho.
If it happened to me now...after I've been..i'd just say fuck it and miss the semester. go to summer school everytime or something.
All my other friends are long out of college and not teachers, so they don't think about it i guess.
For teacher's....no way around it?
Catalysta

Next

Return to Politics & Philosophy