Bug Reports

Want to request a new feature? You've come to the right place...

Postby Dork » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:29 pm

DOH! Technopatra beat me to the workaround by 3 minutes. I need to learn to type faster or simply have faith that the web team will figure it out.
Dork

Postby technopatra » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:39 pm

lol, thanks Dork. I am really glad someone got it, too.

I am SO sorry about this. I have been down with a cold otherwise I would've caught it last night..

The full explanation:

We've been tinkering again, getting the eplaya ready for a phpbb upgrade to close the vulnerability that was exploited a couple of weeks ago, and we went janky on you.

When trying to login to eplaya, the login.php is redirecting to an absolute hostname rather than a relative one.

The popup you are experiencing is a standard HTTP challange, not anything specific to Windows or IIS.

(Thanks to webteam vol Andy Stevko for the clear explanation. Now we just need to fix it)
technopatra

Postby GuinivereElise » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:45 pm

thanks guys!
GuinivereElise

Postby CoworkerLurker » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:19 pm

What happened to the time stamp for posts and such? It seems to be off by roughly 20 or 40 minutes (depending on whether I'm logged on or not).
CoworkerLurker

Postby geekster » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:46 am

Can we have a "Share" category in the 2005 Event section? Or is the lack of one intentional?
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

share alike

Postby emily sparkle » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:59 am

hiya,

the share folder will be added in some form closer to the event...

:)
:) emily sparkle
eplaya administrator
___

mobilize, energize, motivate, INSPIRE ordinary people to do things to improve their quality of life.
- nobel peace prize winner, wangari maathai
emily sparkle

Eplaya Clock Time

Postby tonytohono » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:19 pm

I believe the clock is approxiamately 20 minutes slow.

I mean, I am sure it is slow -- that is just a rough estimate.
tonytohono

Postby tonytohono » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:21 pm

make that approximately.
tonytohono

Postby geekster » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:41 pm

This isn't a bug so much as it is a heads up. I happened to see it today and thought I would share. It is a virus that is targeting phpBB (the software eplaya uses) and exploits certain versions of php and coding techniques. This would be the Sanity.e worm. A link here:

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/1011.html
geekster

Postby III » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:02 pm

version 3.11 (what the eplaya is on right now) is protection against the santy.a virus. i'm assuming that it's also safe against santy.e, though there is some debate about whether there is a php (as opposed to phpbb) safety issue as well...
III

Postby III » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:03 pm

>protection

err, protected.

hey, does not being able to edit your posts count as a bug?

it sure should...
III

Postby geekster » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:47 pm

There are reasons why I think I like not having the edit function ... like when someone says something, people get riled about it, then they go back and change their posting and make people commenting after look stupid. In other words, an edit key can give you the opportunity to go back and change the past. I can live with it like this, I would settle for the warts in people's postings without the meaning of them changing at a later date. If people's opinion morphs during the course of a discussion, it is free to do so in the running course of the discussion without it happening "retroactively". Edit would be fine as long as it showed what was edited and when, I suppose.

I have seen such activity on other boards. I think our warty little community chronicle is kinda neat in that way.
geekster

Postby spanky » Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:07 pm

re: Santy.e

I believe we are protected from the virus/worm by having upgraded to the latest version of phpBB. There are extended issues with PHP. We are considering a move to hardened PHP (and eventually away from using PHP altogether, but that's another story)

I'm pretty confident that we are OK for now. I think this virus is simply riding on the coattails of the last exploit and taking advantage of anyone who hasn't upgraded their boards yet. It's an easy target.

re: Not being able to edit

Yeah, what Geekster said. People go back and edit posts to cover their tracks and play games with others. Totally lame, I know, but that's how _some_ folks choose to behave. I think we debated for several hours about this one.

Happy Holidays!
~Spanky

\<>/
spanky

Postby Simply Joel » Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:44 am

Edit function.

a short time limit on edit function, say 5 minutes (for the sake of discussion)?

i do see the point of "People go back and edit posts to cover their tracks and play games with others." which i agree is "Totally lame,"

i guess the answer is to proofread better before choosing "submit"

uh, nevermind.
Simply Joel

Postby spanky » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:54 pm

Yeah, we also thought of that (5 minute rule), but agreed that folks should, as you mentioned, proof their posts. Two phrases come to mind:

1. mean what you say
2. stand by your posts

It's sorta like: radical inclusion and leave no trace. It's hard to do but it makes each and every person accountable for themselves, which, IMO, are good things.

Either way, this is not the right forum to have this discussion in. This one's for bug reports ;)
~Spanky

\<>/
spanky

Postby sparkletarte » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:07 pm

I'm not clear if the main BM site is your department or not...the volunteer quetionaire page doesn't work. I've tried sevreal avenues to get to it and I get a BM "uh, oh error page". just fyi.
sparkletarte

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:09 pm

Spanky and the team have been working on it all day and as we speak. it should work soon.

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:34 pm

Isn't that "Spanky and the Gang?" Or "Spanky and Our Gang?" or "Spanky on the Ganges?"
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:53 pm

the volunteer quetionaire is back online. You wanna check it out and let us know?

It should be working.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby GuinivereElise » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:06 pm

not sure if it's just me, but under the regionals topic, it says "no posts", though, if I click on the topic, I get the whole regionals thread, complete with new posts and all...

a product of the crash, I'm assuming?? It's been like this since the eplaya went back up this morning...
GuinivereElise

Postby Rian Jackson » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:18 pm

The quote function is buggin out. See anyone's quotes from around 4pm today and you'll see it, mostly on imbedded quotes.

Thanks guys!

R-jack
surlier than thou
Rian Jackson

Postby DVD Burner » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:29 pm

Rian Jackson wrote:The quote function is buggin out. See anyone's quotes from around 4pm today and you'll see it, mostly on imbedded quotes.

Thanks guys!

R-jack

Can you post a link that shows an example?

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby sputnik » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:15 am

There seems to be an issue with BBCode end tags showing up in posts. Sometimes, but not all the time. Not sure if this is user error, but it's happened to me twice now, and I don't think I did anything wrong.

See my first post here:

viewtopic.php?t=8330&highlight=
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby spectabillis » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:52 pm

sputnik wrote:There seems to be an issue with BBCode end tags showing up in posts. Sometimes, but not all the time. Not sure if this is user error, but it's happened to me twice now, and I don't think I did anything wrong.

Sorry that I did not answer your question earlier in the Bar thread Sputnik. In my case I think it was user error.

Do you type the bbcode in or click those button thingys at the top?[/b]
spectabillis

Postby blueniteowl » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:43 pm

There still appears to be a bug that allows me to be notified when hidden buddies come online. They aren't listed on the buddies online list, but they are listed in a pop up. Now I don't mind seeing them on, but I've got a feeling that if they are hidden they want to really be hidden. Thanks!
blueniteowl

Postby spectabillis » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:11 pm

No, thank you. You see, there is a limited ammount of testing that can be done because the developers are volunteers and have day jobs as well. It does not surprise me at all if there are bugs when installing new mods, and probably will not know about them until someone says something.

I will look at it, but personally dont know a lot about the buddy list since I cant really use it, but I agree that negates being hidden.
spectabillis

Postby spectabillis » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:17 pm

sputnik wrote:There seems to be an issue with BBCode end tags showing up in posts. Sometimes, but not all the time.

I tried this and found something. If you use one of the BBCode tag buttons on top, and then type the end in manually, it will automatically insert the end anyways.

Once you use one of them, it puts a '*' in that BBCode box until you click it again, which I can only think is a reminder to click it again for the ending.

Also, it inserts at the end and not where your blinking cursor is - damnit!
spectabillis

Postby GuinivereElise » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:21 pm

hmph.

here's one for you.

there's this here "bug reports" thread.
then there's the "bug reports" topic located under "eplaya feedback".

can the two be combined?

should they be?
GuinivereElise

Postby spectabillis » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:40 pm

GuinivereElise wrote:here's one for you.

Doh!

Done, new topic under that one.
spectabillis

Postby emily sparkle » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:34 pm

do we need two? should we move this one to feedback instead of creating a new one? a shadow link perhaps? let me know.
:) emily sparkle
eplaya administrator
___

mobilize, energize, motivate, INSPIRE ordinary people to do things to improve their quality of life.
- nobel peace prize winner, wangari maathai
emily sparkle

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Requests