The Power of Dreams

Our 2005 theme explores psychology: self-expression, self-reflection and the unconscious power of dreams. Discuss.

The Power of Dreams

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:03 pm

>> Our 2005 theme explores psychology: self-expression, self-reflection and the unconscious power of dreams.

This one comes to haunt me every now and then...

I am riding this beautiful, strong, very muscular white stallion. I'm riding him bare-back across this gorgeous open green field, hanging onto his flowing wild mane; wind whipping through my own hair. Freedom at its best!! Before long we are riding along the edge of a cliff. The horse slips and falls over the cliff with me gripping my legs around his body so I don't fall away from him. We are falling and falling. The horse is whinnying frantically, fear in his eyes, flailing his legs wildly. Both of us are terrified. I am hanging on for dear life.

I wake up screaming.

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:35 pm

[strong German accent] You need a new boyfriend. [/strong German accent]

Postby Donita » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:25 am

Hmmm, I thought it meant I was afraid of losing my freedom.
Don't need a boyfriend, but I'd like one....maybe next year.
Donita

Postby Donita » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:15 am

OK. Here's another dream:

I climb to the top of this cliff at midnight. There is a full moon and I stand there overlooking the ocean. I am naked. I dive off the cliff into the cool ocean water. Soon I am swimming with the dolphins. They are sleek and smooth to the touch. They are loving creatures...and very sensuous. We frolick and swim together, feeling happiness. One of the dolphins gives birth to a baby - a human baby. She gives me the baby and tells me to go raise it as my own. I do as I am told. The baby grows up and 10 years later jumps back into the ocean to go back and live with the dolphins.
Donita

Postby Ranger Genius » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:40 am

“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

Postby GuinivereElise » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:04 am

sounds very like the Selkie tales from Ireland, Donita...

very beautiful...
GuinivereElise

Postby regynalonglank » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:00 pm

when i was very little i used to have a recurring nightmare. i had it again later on, in my early twenties, and it was not scary anymore, i liked it. anyways, the dream was me being two dimensional and having to cross the desert to get paper. i had to like flow along the ground to move, and there was a sound and a feeling that went with it. when i was little i said it was like being run over by a steam roller over and over, but it didn't hurt. the need to get to the other side and get the paper was enormous, and i could only move very slowly, like a ribbon in the wind. there was a sort of timeless frustration to it...anyways later on when it happened as an adult it was triggered by a large cat purring on my chest, and i snapped into this kind of hypnotic state, very corrugated and warm...but the same feeling from the dream. i always woke up before i got to the other side...
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum
regynalonglank

the dream i had last night

Postby moonbeam327 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:20 pm

I know i was in a deep sleep, dreaming peacefully, when all of a sudden a shooting pain blazing across my right eye. I scream! Too bad i will never know the dream i was having. I was suddenly woken up to the cat jumping across my face! :oops:
moonbeam327

Postby regynalonglank » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:09 pm

ouch
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum
regynalonglank

Postby LeChatNoir » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:38 pm

Hmmm..

Firstly, hello friends... don’t think I’ve met any of you yet, so:

Howdy
Hola
O’siyo
Ceud Mile Failte

However you prefer...

Dreams... funky stuff, huh? Lots of stuff burbling up from the depths in those things. Lately, I’ve been having more and more lucidity in my dreams. So much so , that I’m somewhat aware of my surroundings and able to move around in them to some degree. Not quite conscious, but not caught up in that normal, involuntary flow of a dream. It borders on interaction. I remember one not long ago, where I was standing by a burnt out car on the side of a very straight road in a very flat desert of orange-red sand. Almost as if I was on mars. High red-rock mesas rose up some distance to my right. The sun was beating down on me it was hot. I was aware enough to say to myself, “I think this is a dream”. To test and see if I was asleep or awake, I pinched my left forearm. I didn’t wake up so it must not be a dream, huh? Now, I very much felt this pinch, too. I don’t remember much before or after that, but I do remember very clearly that I felt conscious... like I would on any other day, but I didn’t have any recollection of memories from the “real world” to check against. I didn’t remember any of my surroundings in this dream, but they felt very much in context, as if they were exactly as they were supposed to be. Everything felt to be right in place.

Upon waking, I remembered that little snippet very clearly. It resides somewhere now as more than a typical dream but less than a memory... slightly less.

moonbeam327-

Cats... what can ya’ do? At least they keep life... ummm... interesting.

regynalonglank-

I find it interesting that your dream was called back after so many years. This has happened to me on several occasions. As the years roll by, it and the lucid dreams are becoming more common, seems like. The line between dream and “vision” seems blurred in those moments to me. Sometimes, I am conscious and lull into a dreamlike state, others I'm dreaming and go into a conscious-like state as mentioned above. And as you mentioned, it was for you a “kind of hypnotic state”. I hate to use the term vision, because it can sound all hokey to some, but I don’t know what else fits at the moment. There was a book I got for my brother on building stone circles by a guy named Rob Roy. He uses the term “trans-rational” for stuff like this, or any other type of unusual occurrence involving what some might call other worlds and energies. Maybe that's a better description, even though it doesn't roll off the tongue so easy.

Most interesting stuff to me, since it was a dream, vision... or trans-rational experience several years ago that eventually wound up leading me to the playa in ‘04. Way cool that this years theme is what it is. I’m curious to see what arises.

Maybe later I’ll tell about the dream/vision/thing I had after inadvertently walking through a big patch of stinging nettles (which I later learned contain a very mild psychoactive).

Funky...
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

and then there were three...

Postby I am the River you saw Ye » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:30 pm

I am sure that there are many different theories as to what exactly dreams are. Just a dump of whatever happened that day, to our ID's unexpressed and unfulfilled desires. Unlike spirituality, there is no deying that they are real and really impact our lives. (not that spirituality doesn't)Is there an underlying consciousness that we all share and are connected to?
I think that dreams are a great deal like swimming. Everybody knows about water and most people can swim. But there are different levels, both of skill and of depth. Some people just swim deeper. Some people float. Some carve out a direction with purposeful strokes. Some let the current take them as they will.
What I do know is that they mean something. Something important. Something we have to discover in order to make ourselves more whole. One of the things that has drawn me to Burningman is the move away from mainstream thought. The pursuit of things. The idea that everything that you could want resides outside of ourselves. that buying is experiencing. We are always being distracted from making ourselves better people. We are distracted from knowing ourselves. Maybe with this year's theme, more people will truly be THERE and not so devided with part of themselves elsewhere.
From assholes you get shit
I am the River you saw Ye

Postby phoenix13 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:40 pm

Dreams have always been very fascinating to me. They always leave such interesting portents. I very rarely remember my dreams. When I do there's generally a good reason why my mind retains them.

I think what's even more bizarre to me is when I remember any dialogue. It's even more rare for me to remember someone talking, or what someone had said. It just doesn't happen.

The one previous time that I remembered what was said, I heard the same words in real life. It weirds me out when I do. Perhaps there's something that my mind is getting me to understand. Perhaps it's something greater then that. Perhaps it's nothing.

But whatever it is... It's definitely piqued my interest.
And in time we will all burn and become a new.
phoenix13

Postby diane o'thirst » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:29 pm

The grist of an artist's mill is dreams.

Consider:
Thirty hours ago, they were an undifferentiated sheet of oak plywood. Now they're a sweet, protective Amerind War Pony and Pegasus, and a Friesian, a Dragon, a Snow Leopard, a Reindeer and a Medicine Pony are waiting in the wings to actualize the power of a Dream.

It is times like this when I realize the Mystery of Ptah: He has the power to see what something can be and make it happen. Artists, in Ancient Egypt, referred to themselves as the High Priesthood of Ptah :)
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby blueniteowl » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:45 pm

Is this thread limited to dreams that happen while sleeping? Because I'd have to say that my day dreaming has a lot of power over me. Day dreaming has become a well of ideas that I draw from for inspiriation. It helps me to plan for things, and allows me to imagine outcomes. It helps me when creating my art. But it can also be trouble. The ADD side of things means that my day dreaming can get in the way of the things I need to get done. I have spent many hours lost in thought, not realizing how much time is passing.

On the sleeping side of dreams, I find it kind of interesting that my ADD shows up in my dreams constantly. I never have dreams that stay on one continous flowing story line. One situation will suddenly change into something completly different. Which can get really frustrating because I'm always left wondering what was going to happen next. It's like watching tv and always changing the channel so you never see the end to any of the shows.
blueniteowl

Postby RingO'Fire » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:07 am

I swear I dreamt about George W. Bush last night. His face was all wrinkled up with a criss-cross of really fine lines etched into his skin. We were stadning just a few feet apart. He was muttering some nonsense to one of his staffers standing next to him that I couldn't quite make out. Then, he leaned in close and looked me right in the eye. There was this really empty, blank look in his eyes. I remember thinking in my dream, "Wow! He really is a dumbass!"

I have to confess though, yesterday afternoon I was reading this Doonesbury cartoon full of "Bush-isms": http://www.sydes.net/jokes/page.php?p1=Bushisms&p2=bushisms.jpg. I think it's possible that my dream was influenced by Gary Trudeau.

Later, I dreamt that I had three cats (I actually have two - and a chow dog). In real life, one of my cats and I do not get along. I hate that fucking cat, and it's afraid of me. I got the little fucker when my 70-y.o. dad, who has Alzheimer's, moved in with my brother and sister-in-law a couple of months ago. All the little dipshit does is eat, shit, and run away when I walk by. At least she keeps my "good" cat, who's my buddy, company. The good cat also routinely kicks the ass of the little fucker that I despise, which, I confess, gives me great satisfaction.

Anyway, last night in the dream, my three cats and I were all great friends, including the dipshit cat. I thought, "Finally! Now you like me!"

So, I had some wierd dreams last night, G.W. Bush and three friendly cats. What does it all mean?
...but it seemed like such a good idea at the time...
RingO'Fire

Postby Ranger Genius » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:02 pm

“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

Postby Ranger Genius » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:04 pm

Ranger Genius

Postby Ranger Genius » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:05 pm

oops. damn lag.
Ranger Genius

Postby tonytohono » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:42 pm

When I was a kid I used to have this dream. It was the scariest dream I ever had. The worst thing about it was that it was recurring. Right when I thought I had stopped having it I would have it again.

I was sleeping. Someone broke into our house. I heard them coming down the hall, but I could never wake myself up in time to get away. Right when I was about to wake up screaming a hand clamped over my mouth and I was yanked out of my bed, I fought like crazy but the arms were much to strong for me to escape.

I was stuffed into a gunny sack and the sack was tied closed, I kicked and yelled, but it was of no use. I was carried outside and thrown into a wheel barrel. The moment I hit the deck the wheel barrel started rolling. I heard the wheel rolling over the scratchy surface and I immediately knew I was on a rooftop.

It seemed to roll along for a long time and just I started to wonder what would happen next the wheel bumped into the side of the roof and stopped suddenly, the wheel barrel upended and I tumbled out into open air — falling.

It was at this moment that I woke up every time.
tonytohono

Postby robotland » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:48 am

Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Rian Jackson » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:31 am

The last few weeks, in particular, my dreams have gotten to the point that I'm not sure what is real and what isn't. The dramatic things - the people dying, the re-exploration of places that i lived, but yet don't exist, the journeys involving rowboats and misty waterways - those i know are just in my mind.

It's the little things - the conversations, the gunshots, the way things look or feel or things that I think i may have done - that are still esoteric to me. I'm not sure what was lived only in waking and what wasn't.

To further complicate it, the deja vu has gotten ridiculous again.

I'm beginning to be uncertain of what conversations I've actually had...
Rian Jackson

Postby 5x5 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:36 am

eplaya featured in my dreams last night!

first i have to say in explaination that i love purple koosh's screenname! (i am a purple-aholic as well. and kooshes are just plain fun) and i need to explain that i knit.

so i had a dream that i was in a yarn store and found skeins of yarn that were the same material as the koosh balls! (and most of the skeins were purple!) i was SOOOO excited, and saw they had samples using this yarn to make stretchy bands that could be necklaces, bracelets, and headbands. (especially good for headbands since they were stretchy!) i was buying up all of these so that i could make gifts for BM, and saying i had to get online right away and tell purple koosh about it because she would be so excited!

hehe. so, here i am telling her (and you) about it. unfortunately the skeins vanished when i woke up. but the things they made were so cool....
5x5

Postby robotland » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:14 pm

For as long as I can remember, or at least since I was a young teenager, my dreams have ALWAYS taken place in the same location- A city that exists only in my head, but that takes on aspects of places that I've recently visited or thought about. Even if the details of the dream take place within the confines of a single room or building, there is some undercurrent of confirmation that the city is "outside". I've been able to construct a reasonably detailed model (not literally) of the city and its layout, down to fine detail in the case of some buildings. Weird. I used to call it "Somnopolis"....now I just refer to it as "Steve City", as when describing dreams to my wife- "Okay, so I'm in Steve City, and there's this really cool three-storySushi bar with a waterfall in it.....".
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Donita » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:21 pm

RingO'Fire wrote: So, I had some wierd dreams last night, G.W. Bush and three friendly cats. What does it all mean?

**scribbles on notepad**

Hmmm....in your dream there was a bush and 3 pussies?? You are obsessed with sex. Sounds like you need to get laid. Again.
Donita

Postby RingO'Fire » Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:19 pm

Donita wrote:
RingO'Fire wrote: So, I had some wierd dreams last night, G.W. Bush and three friendly cats. What does it all mean?

**scribbles on notepad**

Hmmm....in your dream there was a bush and 3 pussies?? You are obsessed with sex. Sounds like you need to get laid. Again.

Donita, you are so damned perceptive! It's...it's...it's like you're psychic or something! Wow!

So then, are you offering to help me out with my "situation"? [wink wink, followed by shit-eating grin]. Hmm...that could be problematic though, since we live on opposite ends of the continent. I guess we'll just have to postpone hooking up for now. Keep your love light shining though, I'm sure we can come up with a creative solution to this minor 2,500-mile obstacle. Hmmm...maybe phone sex? Oh, nevermind...I guess, it's not nearly as fun as the real thing. [scratches chin] Hmmm....

Actually, in about an hour I have a date with the lovely Margaret, who "took advantage of me" last Monday on my birthday. Tonight I may let her do it again, without her even having to first get me drunk this time. I'll let you know how it goes...

BTW, once again, you totally "got me." I doubled over with laughter and nearly fell out of my chair when I read your "dream analysis." Keep it up, Sigmunda...

Heeyyy....wait a minute...[lightbulb above RoF's head lights up]...I think I've got something here....yessss it must be[chortle]...

Sigmunda Monkeypoo!
RingO'Fire

Postby Donita » Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:22 pm

RingO'Fire wrote:Sigmunda Monkeypoo!

Dibs on this name!! I'm taking it and running with it!!! Finally, a playa name I can be proud of and live up to!!!!! :wink:
Donita

Postby Donita » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:37 am

I had a very vivid and colorful dream last night: I am guessing I was at Burning Man...or maybe it was Mardi Gras. Anyway, there was a huge festive parade with people dressed up in costumes. People were perched on art cars. People were on stilts. Everyone was smiling, drinking and having a terrific time. I remember seeing Giggles and her little girls, TonyTohono with his camera, RebA in her red dress, Tisha with her cowboy hat, Zule in a tie-dye, DVD's dancing avatar dude, Bambi, Isotopia, Rob the Wop with pigtails and in a purple dress, and Ring'O'Fire in a tie-dye. There were many others, but I cannot put names to their faces or masks. I felt happy in the dream. Everyone was happy. Strange part of dream: Ring'O'Fire. There were orange plastic cones placed in a circle around your feet where you were standing. About 5-6 of them. (You know, the kind that are on the streets and roads during construction for safety purposes?) Hmmm..... **scribbles on notepad**
Donita

Postby DVD Burner » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:42 pm

The power of my dreams produced these:
Image Image Image

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Ranger Genius » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:54 pm

Rian Jackson wrote:The last few weeks, in particular, my dreams have gotten to the point that I'm not sure what is real and what isn't.

SNIP

To further complicate it, the deja vu has gotten ridiculous again.

I'm beginning to be uncertain of what conversations I've actually had...

Guildenstern: A Chinaman of the T'ang Dynasty - and, by which definition, a philosopher - dreamed he was a butterfly, and from that moment he was never quite sure that he was not a butterfly dreaming it was a Chinese philosopher. Envy him; in his two-fold security.
Ranger Genius

Postby RingO'Fire » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:03 pm

Donita wrote:I had a very vivid and colorful dream last night: I am guessing I was at Burning Man...or maybe it was Mardi Gras. Anyway, there was a huge festive parade with people dressed up in costumes. People were perched on art cars. People were on stilts. Everyone was smiling, drinking and having a terrific time. I remember seeing Giggles and her little girls, TonyTohono with his camera, RebA in her red dress, Tisha with her cowboy hat, Zule in a tie-dye, DVD's dancing avatar dude, Bambi, Isotopia, Rob the Wop with pigtails and in a purple dress, and Ring'O'Fire in a tie-dye. There were many others, but I cannot put names to their faces or masks. I felt happy in the dream. Everyone was happy. Strange part of dream: Ring'O'Fire. There were orange plastic cones placed in a circle around your feet where you were standing. About 5-6 of them. (You know, the kind that are on the streets and roads during construction for safety purposes?) Hmmm..... **scribbles on notepad**

Interpreting this dream has been taxing my analytical powers for the past couple of days. It may have taken a while, but I think I've finally figured out the subconscious meaning of your dream, Donita. Here's it is:

First, as you said, "Everyone was smiling, drinking and having a terrific time" and "I felt happy in the dream. Everyone was happy." So, it vas a happy time, yah? Then, there was a circle of orange safety cones in a circle or ring around me in the dream. Hmmm...happiness...orange...safety...this is all very significant.

First, let's analyze the color orange. According to my sources, "Orange - is a balance between the passionate red and the 'yellow of wisdom.' Orange is symbolic of endurance, strength and ambition. It can represent the fire and flame of the sun." Also, "Orange combines the energy of red and the happiness of yellow. It is associated with joy, sunshine, and the tropics. Orange represents enthusiasm, fascination, happiness, creativity, determination, attraction, success, encouragement, and stimulation."

Now, let's analyze the ring of safety cones around my feet in your dream. Safety cones can indicate "proceed with caution" or "keep clear" and are often meant to protect you from some potential hazard. However, as the name implies "safety" cones are also commonly used as a safety device, to protect something on the other side of the cones, like providing a safe area for workers, or protecting something precious, like school children at a crosswalk. These "safety cones" were also arranged in a circle or "ring" around my feet.

So, tying it all together, the ring of orange safety cones around my feet are first of all symbolic of my nom de eplaya, RingO'Fire. They represent the flaming ring around the fiery RingO'Fire that is me. The fact that the cones are orange, and orange represents fascination, happiness, attraction, and stimulation, means that you are fascinated and stimulated by me, the RingO'Fire. You are almost powerless over your urgent animal attraction to me. However, you believe that you may need to "proceed with caution", but once you're on the inside of the "RingO'Fire" that you will be happy and safe! Voila! C'est magnifique!

In other words, you think I'm really hot!

[They move to the hypnotherapist's office]
"Lay down on my couch. There, that's good. Are you comfortable? Now, look at the watch swinging back and forth on the end of the chain. You are getting very slleeeppppyyyy. You are now asleep, but you can still hear the sound of my voice. Now, repeat after me, 'RingO'Fire is really hot and I want to jump his bones...' This is your new mantra; keep repeating it in your head. Now when you go home this evening, you will feel the irresistable urge to play The Minister's Quartet on your record player. You suddenly love this album; you can't get enough of it; you want to play this record over and over again. All the while you're listening to this music, you can't stop thinking about just how 'hot' RingO'Fire is..."

RingO'Fire

Next

Return to 2005 Theme