Frequently Asked Questions: Look here first.

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Postby diane o'thirst » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:59 am

When I stopped at the Pyramid Way Chevron once I got back into town after the Burn, the counter guy — a search-and-rescue veteran of Black Rock Desert — said, "Man, that desert is eating tires alive this year! There've been a couple other vehicles through here that were really low. What's going on out there?"

Turned out my rear tires were down to 18.5 psi (normal: 40-44) :shock: I surmised it may have been because of the soft Playa this year.
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby MizMarz » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:20 pm

Q: What about cameras & taking photos at the event?

A: Yes, you can bring your camera (or cameras) and take photos at the event. The event is very VISUAL, and who wouldn't want to document these images, but keep a few things in mind...
1. Regarding equipment: Follow the general rule for possessions you bring to the event. If it would kill you to lose the item or have it (possibly) ruined, DON'T BRING IT...Remember, the playa dust is the consistency of powdered sugar and can get into ANY crevice, no matter how hard you may try to protect it. I am sure you can find more information about protecting your equipment if you do a search on this site. I have had success using a sealable plastic bag & wiping the camera each time before I put it away. Disposable cameras are a good idea, too.
Even though you make it a priority to keep track of your equipment, there is the possibility of losing it - this is Burning Man, not your grandma's birthday party. You're covering a lot of ground throughout your day and dealing with 36,999 other burners.
2. Regarding taking pictures/video: If you are planning on using your photos for anything other than personal memories, you must register your equipment with Media Mecca. Usually, you can get a form from the greeters when you first come in, and turn it in to Media Mecca at a later time. You must also register your equipment (be it camera, camcorder, or phone) if it has the capability of recording 30 seconds or more of moving images. The Org needs us to register equipment in order to protect our autonomy at the event. (Think yahoos with the big idea of exploiting innocent participators by distributing the next "Girls On.." video - the "woohootitsandass" mentality). All who register their equipment are given a tag which helps Media Mecca keep track of who's getting images of the event. As a participator, you are ALLOWED to ask anyone if you can see their registration tag - if you find someone doing something questionable and you feel it necessary, REPORT this person to the Media Mecca.
3. BE COURTEOUS AND ASK PERMISSION...Keep in mind that Burning Man is a venue for "Radical Self Expression". A lot of people do things there that they would not appreciate their mother finding out about. If you would like a photo of someone, ask their permission before you do so. Do not compromise anyone's right to privacy.
Open 24 hours a day 7 days a year
MizMarz

Postby Silver 2 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:15 pm

3. BE COURTEOUS AND ASK PERMISSION...Keep in mind that Burning Man is a venue for "Radical Self Expression". A lot of people do things there that they would not appreciate their mother finding out about. If you would like a photo of someone, ask their permission before you do so. Do not compromise anyone's right to privacy.

I generally hate me-to-ism's but this cannot be stressed enough. When I carry my fairly high end camera I almost always hold it by the lens. This keeps me from taking snap shots and allows me to wave the camera for permission to shoot.

Also, an an example of above; not long after I got back from '04 I got a call from a very (20) young woman asking if I had a spare room for a couple of days, her dad was not al all amused with a picture he found of her on the web. He was better versed in web search than most people my age and found a picture of his daughter buck naked (in simi-profile), with several admiring young men (this happens when she is clohed or not actually). I corresponded with the photographer, a friend of a friend, and the photo disappeared. She had not realized that the subject could be recognized. As it was my friend's parents settled down but it was an unhappy time for her as she lives at home while going to college.
I like playing with fire.
Silver 2

to further Silver 2's response...

Postby Tiahaar » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:34 pm

Question: I am so looking forward to going to BurningMan and really loosing my inhibitions and having fun, but I would just faint if anybody at home saw pictures of this, how can I prevent this?

Answer: Hahahaha...either swipe their computer or stay home.

SERIOUSLY PEOPLE...photos are taken, posted, and if someone's prying father wants to take the time to search for "evidence" of "misbehavior" (assuming you have of course) he WILL find what he's looking for (the pervert) and righteously proclaim his outrage at such degradation. So you either behave as if everything you do is photo fodder for dear old dad or you say what the hell and be yourself.
Burning Man 2003-13; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage Tech
RING THE COCK Caravansy Peenerweight Boutique
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

addendum to above answer

Postby Tiahaar » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:41 pm

Or there's door #3 (an excellent choice): Get your crazy self costumed/masked enough that nobody in the default world will recognize you!
Burning Man 2003-13; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage Tech
RING THE COCK Caravansy Peenerweight Boutique
Tiahaar

Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby Ranger Genius » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:51 pm

You could carry around a large chunk of plutonium.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

Postby phoenix13 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:54 pm

Silver 2 wrote:

I generally hate me-to-ism's but this cannot be stressed enough. When I carry my fairly high end camera I almost always hold it by the lens. This keeps me from taking snap shots and allows me to wave the camera for permission to shoot.

Also, an an example of above; not long after I got back from '04 I got a call from a very (20) young woman asking if I had a spare room for a couple of days, her dad was not al all amused with a picture he found of her on the web. He was better versed in web search than most people my age and found a picture of his daughter buck naked (in simi-profile), with several admiring young men (this happens when she is clohed or not actually). I corresponded with the photographer, a friend of a friend, and the photo disappeared. She had not realized that the subject could be recognized. As it was my friend's parents settled down but it was an unhappy time for her as she lives at home while going to college.

This is something that I notice that not all yahoos heed. I don't know how many people took my picture while i was dancing at Spike's without askng me first...

I'm wondering if there is some inate fear in asking. If they turn you down, fair enough. But everyone that I asked if I could take their picture were very kind and allowed me.
And in time we will all burn and become a new.
phoenix13

Postby Silver 2 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:01 am

Q: Where do I camp, how do I find a place to camp, what do I do with my vehicle? How do I join a theme camp or a village?

Real life question:
Q: Or are there assigned camps and such... some clarification would be awesome!

A: In response to the above Badger wrote:
When you get to the gate you'll probably receive a packet which gives a map of the city complete with notations showing where the theme camp areas are located, various neighborhoods, open space and other info. Short of setting up right on the Esplanade or parking butt in the middle of Death Guild's turf you'll be OK. Also, you'll probably receive a summer mailing that may spell this out as well - assuming you purchase your ticket before arriving at the gate.

Another real life question:
Q: Newbies here......... we got tickets.. then .. how to get a camp site? do we need to pay for that or??
... we not getting a RV..so we just drive our suv and park outside then ride bicycle in, or walk in... bring our camping gear and food water............... ( is it possible?? )

A: Dork wrote:
You give the nice gate crew member your ticket, talk to the perky greeter, then drive to where you want to camp. If you really want to camp away from your car there is a walk-in camping area, but most people set up where they park. Some areas are set aside for theme camps and such, the rest is first-come first-serve. Find an open spot, talk to the people already set up nearby to make sure they weren't hoping to save that spot for a friend and that they aren't complete psychos, then set up. If you look through the pictures of the Burning Man site you'll get an idea for how this works.

You have plenty of time to start reading and figure out the rest.

Now for my response:
Well before the event there will be a map of the city on the Web showing the theme camp areas and listing what camps and villages are where. By and large if you have not made arrangements before the event with a theme camp or village you cannot camp there. Some groups definitely require pre-registration (Hushville for example) others are highly organized with expectations of monetary and/or labor contributions to support their activities and living arrangements; monetary contributions need to be made before the event to buy food, water, booze and equipment. Many theme camps are always looking for new members to contribute to the theme (check ePlaya and last year's list of theme camps and their contacts), villages tend to be open to whoever wants to come along and are willing to accept whatever rules the village has, Hushville, Kidsville, and the Hostel are examples of this. Some theme camps are more closed and will accept only friends of friends in an effort to keep down the yahoo factor. Note: If you make arragements with a theme camp or village make sure you know 1. the rules and 2. what you are expected to bring. I want to stress this because in ’04 a young man showed up in Hushville thinking that there was a communal kitchen (there is not, and why he thought so I have no clue) and almost no food. After looking over his supplies I sent him back to Reno with a list which, by the way, included an air mattress, more water and a pot. I let him use my cooker, cooking equipment and shower, among other things.

OK, you are free camping and you have looked at the map and listings of theme camps. Now what you can do is think about what kinds of theme camps you most want to be near, locate them on your map, and pick a street in that general vicinity and you are home.

Things to consider, the further out towards the edge of the city will be less crowded and maybe quieter it will be but you will have to go further to get to the action and potties. If potential neighbors invite you to their ‘greet the sun’ drum circle you might want to find someplace else.
Silver 2

Postby Ranger Genius » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:52 am

Not a morning person, Silver?
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

Postby Silver 2 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:22 pm

Not a morning person, Silver?

Very much a morning person; I generally get back to the tent just before dawn, well most of the time anyway.
Silver 2

help

Postby Crankful » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:32 pm

I am planning an art project but can't open the questionairre after logging in (wrong password or something) any ideas?
Crankful

Re: help

Postby PurpleKoosh » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:55 pm

Crankful wrote:I am planning an art project but can't open the questionairre after logging in (wrong password or something) any ideas?

The questionnaires at forms.burningman.com are still 2004 - the new ones should be up shortly. (I would hope.)
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.
PurpleKoosh

I wish I was purple

Postby Crankful » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:57 pm

Thanks...for the info on forms.....I need as much time as possible since I am formaphobic
Crankful

I need some advice.

Postby mustang68fbgt » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:17 am

Hello,
I am looking for some advice on how to make this expiereance work. I live on the easy coast and i plan on gong by myself so this is going to take alot of planning. First things first can i go by myself? Where will i stay? How will i get food and water? Just give me a little direction.

Thanks, Mustang
mustang68fbgt

Re: I need some advice.

Postby PurpleKoosh » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:45 am

mustang68fbgt wrote:Just give me a little direction.

I'll direct you right to the main BurningMan website - specifically, the First Timers' Guide.

(And I have to ask, because this has puzzled many of us: How did you find the ePlaya? Did you go to the main website first? If you did, is there something the WebTeam can do to make things like the First Timers' Guide more obvious from the main page?)
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.
PurpleKoosh

Re: I need some advice.

Postby Renie » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:25 am

mustang68fbgt wrote:
I am looking for some advice on how to make this expiereance work.(snip)First things first can i go by myself? Where will i stay? How will i get food and water? Just give me a little direction.

Thanks, Mustang

First read the first timers guide.
Then get involved. Try volunteering somewhere. Be willing to mingle and meet people.
You can go by yourself but if you stay in your tent or RV and don't talk to any one the event will suck. You need to get involved to make this a good expierence.
Renie
Renie

beer and friends lets have fun

Postby cactusman » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:56 am

Q: is having a keg of beer out of the question for the burn I can keep it cold for the entire time ? Are their any major problems to deal with ?

Q : Also looking for couples who need a ride from the phoenix area to the burn. I just ask that you help with fuel expenses
cactusman
cactusman

Postby occupant » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:29 pm

Q. Will alcohol-based hand sanitizers accelerate dehydration or cause other problems? I've got access to a bunch of that stuff and if it's worth bringing it'd be nice for spot cleanups and freshenings throughout the day. I just don't know how the dust or heat will affect it.
occupant

Postby Ranger Genius » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:34 pm

I swear by it. If you're coming from a lower elevation, open the bottle about halfway there to vent the pressure, or it'll puff up and possibly rupture. Don't leave it lying in direct sun or in your car, but otherwise heat should cause no problems. If you're not from an area with highly alkaline soil, you should be using a lot of lotion anyway, so any drying effects from the sanitizer should be prevented.
Ranger Genius

Re: beer and friends lets have fun

Postby robotland » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:21 am

cactusman wrote:Q: is having a keg of beer out of the question for the burn I can keep it cold for the entire time ? Are their any major problems to deal with ?

Burning Kegger! DUUUUUUUUDE!
Well, there's always ice for sale in Center Camp. If you're coming from far, far away with the keg you may want to consider what Ranger Genius mentioned earlier about the bottle of hand sanitizer- I haven't had an Interstate Party in a long time, but even if pressure isn't an issue that bad boy'll STILL get mighty shook up. Make everyone bring their own cup. Bring a tub, unless you're keepin' it on the tailgate there, Bubba.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby LeChatNoir » Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:55 pm

mustang68fbgt wrote:First things first can i go by myself?

I’d planned on going by myself in 04, but as luck would have it, my path crossed with another burner who lived near by (completely by chance) and we struck up a good friendship. We wound up taking my truck to the event and I have to say that the trip out there and back was just as awesome as the event itself. So unless you feel the need to travel by yourself, which I would understand better than you might think, finding someone to go with can make a long drive more bearable, but... maybe unbearable conversely. Use your better judgement in that area before offering up your ride. But even in the event of the latter, you get to split the fuel costs. Ha!

Maybe hang out around here and see if there's anybody else, or some event, in your area to make contact with?

Where will i stay?

We just found a spot that was not occupied, marked off for a theme camp or in the middle of the road and pitched camp right there where the truck rolled to a stop. Very cool to watch the city grow up around you from nowhere. The fact that I hooked up with someone who’d been the previous year helped me a bunch here, too. Since pulling through the gates and gaining a sense of direction for what the deal was would have been a bit more confusing with his prior experience.

How will i get food and water?

You will bring it with you in a manor to keep it for a week in a very hot/cold/harse environment. You can buy ice at the event to keep the coolers stocked and chillin’. And remember, whatever you bring has to leave with you, no if’s and’s or but’s about it (excepting what passes through your body and into the porta potties... you don’t have to take that back unless you’re into some really funky soveniers).

Just give me a little direction.

Hope that helps, mustang!!
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby Renie » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:48 pm

zoeyburn wrote:"I'm trying to find a way for my daughter to get off the playa so I can pick her up and bring home in time for school - without having to pay for a ticket myself or make my friends pay the $20 to drive her out....

Thanks!
-Zoey

Silver 2 wrote:"On the other hand, if she is not hauling a lot of stuff. She could hike out to the greeters station or even the road and you could pick her up there. From where she would have to catch the bus I don't think it could be more than 3 or 4 miles and on Sunday she could probably get a ride.

Any one can go to the Gate. But if you want to get inside the Gate you need a ticket. The bus will have stopped running by Sunday, but with a little effort she should be able to get a ride to the Gate where you can pick her up.
The Greeters are about a mile inside the Gate.
Renie

ice

Postby cactusman » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:52 am

how much does it cost to by ice on the playa and how many lbs are each bag ?
thanks
cactusman
cactusman

Postby AntiM » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:41 am

Last year it was $2 a bag for 2lb of block or cube. But things can change ...
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby unjonharley » Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:50 am

Q: Should I bring my water gun and spray people as they pass by.

A: Some people are as touchie about strangers spaying water as others are about pictures.

((((Ask before you spay))))
/Running to catch the last basket of the day
unjonharley

Re: beer and friends lets have fun

Postby Grover » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:01 pm

cactusman wrote:Q: is having a keg of beer out of the question for the burn I can keep it cold for the entire time ? Are their any major problems to deal with ?

Q : Also looking for couples who need a ride from the phoenix area to the burn. I just ask that you help with fuel expenses

1) A: A keg on the playa has been and is done with frequency. Ice, shade, reflectix and blankets all help. Not drinking it before Saturday is a far greater challenge.

2) Check your regional group and discussion lists.
http://www.azburners.org
--
Grover

Postby Chai Guy » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:14 pm

((((Ask before you spray))))

Great Advice Unjonharley,

Also, you might want to consider buying a new garden sprayer (or one that has only been used to hold water). I like to add ice and a little essential oil (like lavender) pure heaven. And again, ask permission before you spray.
Chai Guy

Postby awibs » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:35 pm

Q: How does one bathe without a shower and with limited water?

A: This will honestly be my first burn in '05, but this is how they solve the exact same problem in rural Thailand: with a cup.

Squat in whatever greywater pan/bucket/collection device you are using, within arm's reach of your main clean water bucket/tub/dispensing device. Scrub with a soapy washcloth/bath pouf thing. Rinse with by pouring frugal cupfuls of water on yourself. Note that washing hair is extremely water consuming and should thereby not happen every bath. Rinsing long hair (longer than shoulders) thoroughly yet with minimum waste by this method takes a few years to really learn, consider having a friend help you with that.

I also highly suggest trying this in your bathtub at home a few times, keeping track of how much water you are using. Practice will make you more effective, and it'll be easier to calculate how much water you use per bath that way. Perosnally I am American-born and learned this from my Thai-raised mother in my preteens while camping. Unlike someone who was raised doing it, an urban American like me wastes ridiculous amounts of water the first five or so tries.

Hope that helps.
breathe deep seek peace
-----------------------------
"Share water, darlings!"
awibs

Postby Elemental666 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:26 pm

and then there was http://www.norinse.com/ :D 8)
Elemental666

Postby AntiM » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:13 am

I have long hair that tangles atrociously and breaks off if combed when wet ... hence I keep mine in braids or a bun and don't wash it at all for the week. This is not half as bad as it sounds, and when I do get where I can wash my hair, the accumulated playa dust leaves it soft and silky.

As for the rest of me, like ulphostery, I spot-clean as needed. I much prefer a garden sprayer for deliacte cleansing than struggling wth a solar shower. So does my larry, because he gets to help.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks