I'm an idiot!!

Yep, you can buy, sell, barter or gift them here.

I'm an idiot!!

Postby sophia marie » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:41 pm

I have never been to a burn but have ventured to other week long festivals and parties... The ticket price is outrageous! I wanted 2005 to be my first burn but that probably means standing on the corner of Cherry and 4th. Damn! I'm an idiot! I should've realized the enormous capacity of BM. I'm an idiot..
This woman came home to me.
Silver wings silhouetted against a child?s sunrise....
Fly on, my sweet angel.
Tomorrow I'm gonna be by your side...
sophia marie

Postby Rian Jackson » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:43 pm

someone keeps giving an amount per day breakdown to make it work. it's not too bad...

it's the other costs that'll kick your ass.
surlier than thou
Rian Jackson

Postby Silver 2 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:44 pm

it's the other costs that'll kick your ass.

Oh, yeah. Flights, equipment, supplies (food, water, ice, dry ice), hotel in Reno, booze and beer, hell I dropped well over $100 (not including time spent) on the stuff I made to give away. The biggest killer is car or share of car rental. In '02 I drove out and the gas and hotel costs were; humm, interesting. This coming year a friend in FL is talking about taking an older SUV out and storing it in Reno. If this works out I may fly down there and drive out with him and fly back The beauty and expense is that I can stop hauling stuff but I will effectively have two sets of camping equipment on either side of the country. Long term it will be cheaper even with my share of the storage costs.
I like playing with fire.
Silver 2

Postby sputnik » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:09 pm

You're not an idiot, just undereducated on this subject.

I think the cheapest you can realistically do this for is $700

$180 Ticket (assuming lowest rate)
$250 Flight
$100 Ride from Reno and back (maybe less)
$150 Food and water
$30 misc

But this assumes a lot on your part. Things like existing camping gear, camelback, willingness to hitch a ride, no booze, etc. Maybe you can get by with less food. If you're friendly enough you will find that food is in abundance. Same goes for booze. Our camp hauled back enough booze for 3 parties and there was food left too.
It's going to be alright.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby sparkletarte » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:02 pm

It's worth it.
sparkletarte

Postby ThePikey » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:08 pm

Yeah... kinda seems like the first year you go you wind up spending money on infrastructure... coolers, camping gear, stuff for bikes. After the first year once those expenses are out of the way (and once you have a better idea what the event is about) it's easier to spend cash on costumes and creative endeavors.
ThePikey

Postby Spliffomatic » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:22 pm

How 'bout gas prices. I was thinking of a plane from NY-SanFran and then driving to BRC. This is my first time n since I don't know a lot of people n I'm a bit shy, will I wind up spending a ton-a-more money doing everything alone?
Spliffomatic

Postby ThePikey » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:10 pm

Yeah, kinda. There *is* a certain economy of scale when it comes to vehicle rental, sharing camping equipment, etc. Providing shade, cooking facilities, coolers, and whatnot is a *bit* easier for a group. I'd say that goes doubly so for somebody flying in. Not that you *can't* do that, but it sounds like cost and airplane weight limits are a factor... Best bet (my opinion only) is to get together with a few people and pool your efforts. Either get together with those few people you know, or link up with some people you get to meet here on the e-playa.

(Hey, why not? It's one of the reasons this thing is here, non?)
ThePikey

Postby PurpleKoosh » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:56 pm

Spliffomatic wrote:How 'bout gas prices. I was thinking of a plane from NY-SanFran and then driving to BRC. This is my first time n since I don't know a lot of people n I'm a bit shy, will I wind up spending a ton-a-more money doing everything alone?

NY-Reno is a better bet, IMO - shorter flight and shorter drive-time. Pricewise, the two trips (RNO vs. SFO/OAK) are comparable.
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.
PurpleKoosh

Burning Since: 2003

Postby Spliffomatic » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:35 pm

To SF was a bit cheaper by 1 note or so but tru, i'll wind up spending that on gas alone, better to jus' go to Reno. thnx!
Spliffomatic

Postby tonytohono » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:23 pm

We've been over this expense thing so many times it makes my... well, it makes something hurt. An average campsite is $15 a night. That's a $105 right there. Much of your ticket price finances art, and blah blah blah.

Why don't you go to Disneyland for a week... or stay in a motel for a week and watch cable television. How much will that cost you?

You are in idiot if you have never been to BM and you are saying it is too expensive. I would like to present the following:

in the words of the immortal sparkletarte, sparkletarte wrote:It's worth it.

Amen Sparkie...

PS- where is the corner of Cherry and 4th?
tonytohono

Postby sophia marie » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:48 pm

Cherry and 4th is a "popular" intersection in my home town of Massillon.

And about the money being the same as cable or a week at a motel, I can't afford cable it's either dial up internet or cartoon network, and you folks have grown on me.

So maybe this year won't be my fiirst Burning Man, now that I know that it's definately worth it I'll start saving and I'll get there when I get there... (It's just wanted this year to be it because I'm getting married next year and what better bachelorette party ya know!)

Sophia
This woman came home to me.
Silver wings silhouetted against a child?s sunrise....
Fly on, my sweet angel.
Tomorrow I'm gonna be by your side...
sophia marie

Postby diane o'thirst » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:01 pm

One way you can help at least spread out the expense is to approach it as a year-long effort.

Get a fairly large box. Get some of those Ziploc containers and/or Ziploc bags. Once a week, throw one or two food items in there. Think dried, think non-perishable, think steri-pak. Make a "food barrel" for yourself, start now. One item out of your grocery run per week should be no real hardship.

Whenever you get money, throw a dollar or two, even a handful of coins, into a cache. <b>Start now.</b> Build it up.

Make use of your local Freecycle community. Last year half my camp came from Freecycle. They're getting a little fat 'n sassy politically but it's still a great resource and the people are good. It'll also help you get better acquainted with your community and neighbours, which is usually a good thing.

Giftables: my rule of thumb is "spend no more than 50¢ per piece." You'd be surprised what that little amount can turn into. If you're artistically talented it need cost no more than a walk on the beach or in the woods and a suitable application of paint.

It's true, preparing is the bigger expense and it's also the more manageable. How many people can drop $200 all at once on anything? Not many. But pretty much everyone can drop a dollar or 50¢ at a time.
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby Tapestry » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:05 am

I've gotta drive all the way from the Midwest to Burning Man. My first year, I spent over $300 just on gas getting there and back. To help pay for it, I use payroll deduction to sock away cash for expenses; a few bucks here, a few bucks there... it adds up.

Plan ahead: figure out what you need to bring, and start shopping around for the best deals. For instance: where I live, army surplus had the best prices on tarps, but Wal-Mart had the best deal on water jugs. It is worth it.
Tapestry

Postby gladeye » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:13 pm

If you've gotta spend your money on something it may as well be Burning Man. Seriously, what will do you better?
"Madness is the first sign of dandruff" - Dr. Winston O'Boogie
gladeye

Postby Bronwen » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:42 pm

Sophie, you can MAKE it happen. If you get a $5 bill as change from something, dont spend it. Hide it in your mattress or something. Or downscale and dont let yourself use any dimes. Or whatever. Anyway, make yourself a rule to save SOMETHING, then get involved with a theme camp and plan to rideshare with someone. You've got plenty of time to plan, prepare and save. I made it happen for me and my husband last year. We were separated at the time and after the burn came home remarried. We're still together. Trust me, any expense to get to Burning Man is worth it. I even heard rumour some kind folks will gift tickets. Get on a gifting forum and look for tickets, or trade a service (not the 4th and Cherry kind if possible). Ever heard the old saying "where there's a will there's a way"? Make your way. It's only February, you have plenty of time to work something out. :D
Bronwen

Return to 2005 Tickets