Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Postby precipitate » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:03 pm

> 'If found horizontal, please revert me to the vertical plane.'

I prefer 'Thanks for not hugging.' But that's probably just me.
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

yar yar

Postby chickenfish » Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:54 pm

yar this be chickenfish the chicken of the sea
this was my 5th year watching the man burn
I pirated the radio waves from 2000-2003 with me campmates
but alas they have all burnt out on the burnin
we'll be off to see sumtin else come next year
arrrr
chickenfish chickenfish you are not a pelican
chickenfish chickenfish your love is like a flea
chickenfish chickenfish your fins are so delicate
chickenfish chickenfish chicken of the sea
chickenfish

Postby Kinetic » Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:52 pm

precipitate wrote:> However I still really don't know what to expect.

And you won't until you get there. Even then, you'll need to discard your
expectations for your second trip, because it's always a little different
(and a little the same, you just never know which bits are getting mixed
up).

You can only read so much or hear so much, BM has to be experienced live! Get your tailside out to the playa if you can. Meanwhile here's some BRC travel tips!

Kinetic's BRC Basic Travel Secrets: (2x Burner, already preparing for #3)
1: Re-read the survival guide and first timer's guide. Sounds like you've already done that.
2: Next, you got tons of pix from 03 to look through and the avalanche continues sliding in daily....if you start now you might dig out or sort through all the good ones by Halloween...these are great inspirations and answer a few more questions.
3: Stick around e-playa, become a regular and ask good questions. There's some crusty types and some that will tease the heck out of you if you let them...but you'll get very good info too. They can be awesome contacts to have on the playa too and can guarantee you an automatic group of friends so you don't go into BRC knowing nobody. E-playans are a good group, a fun group to meet!
4: Start acquiring what you want to bring to BRC with you now! Why wait, it's fun to start getting things now! Plus you can take advantage of clearance sales and such after the holidays.
5: There are many more suggestions but an OPEN MIND and NO EXPECTATIONS are very helpful, if not critical.
6: One other thing...resist the urge to overdo it...you can get into too much once your there. Playa time has a way of wrecking schedules and you will be in "shock and awe" during your first trip. Don't signup for things until you get on the playa...then check out the opportunities posted at Playa Info...like Greeters, Lamp Lighters, BRCPO, and so much more.

I've ranted long enough, the main thing is if you can find a way, quit thinking about it and try to make it. For many BM changes their life. I sat back for 2 years before I made it and I kick myself for waiting so long.

Sorry to get into thread drift but I've been in your position, the post just made me want to respond! I hope you make it for 2004!
Kinetic

Postby DangerMouse » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:59 am

Nah, I appreciate all the advice, and keep adding it all to my mental filter to figure out what all applies to me. =)

Survival guides, pictures, Bob's page... It's all too much! Aiiiiiieeeeeeee!
DangerMouse

Burning Since: 2004

Postby Arnold Layne » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:24 am

You had better watch your back if you intend to make it to the PLaya DM

mrrhhahahahahaa

B.Greenback
Arnold Layne

Postby blyslv » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:04 am

TheMuse wrote:All of you burning people are fabulous and I would love to have one big group wedding next year at the man!

This is such an awesome idea! I think we should do this instead of the M&G. After all we could still get drunk, but just a little later in the process (so we really feel comfortable with each other...)

Please forgive the violation of my personal rules not to stand around idly suggesting things without offering some concrete action.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby blyslv » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:18 am

Oh yes. Please allow me...

I am who I say I am, although I suspect you'll form your own opinions. I was host(ess) at the Gender Blender Bar where I learned that while it's fun to wear a dress, I'm glad I pee standing up. Also, while standing around in the desert getting people drunk is too much fun, it MAY not be the most creative act in the world.

This was my second burn. It's ignited something or other and I've become much more enthusiastic about a number of things.

I would like to fill the rest of this little white box with carefully worded information that allows you to see the depth of my soul, filled with a tender aching and desire for love. It would be honest, but not too honest and I would be careful to include some quirks or undesirable personality traits just to lend credibility n'such. But I have to work, so I'll just open the floor to questions.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Yes That it Is....

Postby Last Real Burner » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:22 am

What a great party idea. A theme for the M&G, a wedding where everyone is the bride and groom. We can all play dress-up.

"Of course it's hot, thats why the sign says "HOT", stupid!"
cojoinedly,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".
Last Real Burner

Postby Ivy » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:32 am

What a great party idea. A theme for the M&G, a wedding where everyone is the bride and groom. We can all play dress-up.

You guys, no offense, but I can't marry y'all. I've been trying to marry myself for several years now and I just can't commit to myself. If I can't marry myself, how can I be expected to commit to soemthing so serious with all of you?

A friend did suggest I get handfasted to myself, to see if it would work out, and I may just try that.

You all may think I'm being a smart ass about this, but for once I'm really not.
Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:33 am

I just had a thought: I could be a bridesmaid. Or the flower girl. Or the ring bearer. Or the drunk 3rd cousin who causes a scene (you get the picture).
Ivy

screw the wedding...

Postby chickenfish » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:40 am

Screw the wedding, lets just have a huge bachelor(ette) party on the playa....
chickenfish chickenfish you are not a pelican
chickenfish chickenfish your love is like a flea
chickenfish chickenfish your fins are so delicate
chickenfish chickenfish chicken of the sea
chickenfish

Postby nymphgonebad » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:54 am

funny you should say that, chickenfish.

schreck and i decided to make burning man this year our bacholor/bacholorette party.

turned out pretty well, doncha think?!
nymphgonebad

Postby Kinetic » Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:04 am

princess strych-9 wrote:funny you should say that, chickenfish.

schreck and i decided to make burning man this year our bacholor/bacholorette party.

That was one hell of a party you had out there. Large scale art, half the liquor supply of Northern Nevada in one place, and 30,498 of your new best friends made it out there. And then you commissioned that awesome wooden sculpture dude that got burned on Saturday night, and then after you got serious and practiced your wedding vows in the temple that got burned down too! Are you going to do the same thing when you really get married and have another temple burn?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist!)
Kinetic

Postby nymphgonebad » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:05 am

Ivy wrote:I just had a thought: I could be a bridesmaid. Or the flower girl. Or the ring bearer. Or the drunk 3rd cousin who causes a scene (you get the picture).

ivy, i think i have the perfect role for you. since there's going to be so many of us getting married .i am assuming that pj and kinetic will be all over this action. all i can say is: let the two of them squabble it out. i do have two viels, tho. one that i bought when i thought i'd be wearing my hair up, and one that was gifted to me on the playa.

anyhow, you can be the one to toss the coin for the ceremonial m&g coin toss, so we can determine who gets to be married first.
nymphgonebad

Postby nymphgonebad » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:10 am

Kinetic wrote:
princess strych-9 wrote:funny you should say that, chickenfish.

That was one hell of a party you had out there. Large scale art, half the liquor supply of Northern Nevada in one place, and 30,498 of your new best friends made it out there. And then you commissioned that awesome wooden sculpture dude that got burned on Saturday night, and then after you got serious and practiced your wedding vows in the temple that got burned down too! Are you going to do the same thing when you really get married and have another temple burn?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

no apology needed. had a much needed laugh at somebody else's expense for once.
nymphgonebad

Postby precipitate » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:39 am

> Or the drunk 3rd cousin who causes a scene

No, that's me.
precipitate

Postby Kinetic » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:40 am

princess strych-9 wrote:
Ivy wrote:I just had a thought: I could be a bridesmaid. Or the flower girl. Or the ring bearer. Or the drunk 3rd cousin who causes a scene (you get the picture).

ivy, i think i have the perfect role for you. since there's going to be so many of us getting married .i am assuming that pj and kinetic will be all over this action. all i can say is: let the two of them squabble it out. i do have two viels, tho. one that i bought when i thought i'd be wearing my hair up, and one that was gifted to me on the playa.

anyhow, you can be the one to toss the coin for the ceremonial m&g coin toss, so we can determine who gets to be married first.

I won't be squabbling with PJ, I like him far too much to do that. Next, the way things are going since I've pushed the psychopaths out, I might be having a real marriage on the playa. As much as I have crushes on Ivy, Precip and now Olivia, I'm officially out of play and no longer looking for others. I'm taken.

But as with anything around here, the karma gods and Goddess Kali herself might have other plans so you never know!
Kinetic

Postby Ivy » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:51 am

> Or the drunk 3rd cousin who causes a scene

No, that's me.

I respectfully defer to you on that one.

Actully, I think I'm rather content with being always a bridesmiad, never a bride.
Ivy

Postby RebA! » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:04 pm

Who is RebA!

A Seattle freak, originally from NY with a short stop over in Phx.
31, married. I like good beer and good chocolate. I'm currently on a diet which eliminates good beer and good chocolate (most of the time). I am training for the Seattle walking marathon (thats 26.2 miles JIK)

Thats all. Oh and I sew a little too, and bake cookies.

Oh yea. Next year will be our 5th year on the playa
"My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpets or ruin our lives."
--Rita Rudner
RebA!

Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirates Life for me...

Postby Rabbi Dali Rick » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:07 pm

We'll pull our names from a hat, and have a drinking contest to see who gets to wear the brides outfit.

"sometimes I feel like there's a hole in the universe"

quite frankly,
the rebbi :twisted:
Rabbi Dali Rick

Are we there yet?...

Postby Rabbi Dali Rick » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:11 pm

RebA! wrote:Who is RebA!

A Seattle freak, originally from NY with a short stop over in Phx.
31, married. I like good beer and good chocolate. I'm currently on a diet which eliminates good beer and good chocolate (most of the time). I am training for the Seattle walking marathon (thats 26.2 miles JIK)

Thats all. Oh and I sew a little too, and bake cookies.

Oh yea. Next year will be our 5th year on the playa

I actually hold the worlds record for the slowest time for a marathon in history (I'm still running the first one I started 12 years ago, maybe some day I'll make it back to Phenoix to the finishline.

"Fear death like a Klingon"
cruelly,
the rebbi
Rabbi Dali Rick

Postby Kinetic » Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:01 pm

At least she added the disclaimer "most of the time" I mean to be the creator of some of the finest beer out there and not be able to sample your work would be horrible.

And this isn't just regular swill we're talkin about, this is one of the finest exports to ever leave Seattle! If you haven't tried Playa Pale Ale, you're missing out on something special.
Kinetic

Postby RebA! » Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:32 pm

Kinetic wrote:At least she added the disclaimer "most of the time" I mean to be the creator of some of the finest beer out there and not be able to sample your work would be horrible.

And this isn't just regular swill we're talkin about, this is one of the finest exports to ever leave Seattle! If you haven't tried Playa Pale Ale, you're missing out on something special.

Ok you can stop suckin up at any time. Pm your addy and I will see what i can do.
"My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpets or ruin our lives."
--Rita Rudner
RebA!

Pounding Sand In Your Ass Is Not Recommended...

Postby Rabbi Dali Rick » Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:46 pm

Heeeeyyyyy!!!! I can suck up too. Reba, oh my god, you're so skinny I hardly recognized you. You're wasting away to nothing! Somebody quick go melt a Hershey Bar, I think we're losing her. Hand me 200cc of PPA, Stat.

"You could die in the desert without Playa Pale Ale."

parallelagramly,
the rebbi
Last edited by Rabbi Dali Rick on Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rabbi Dali Rick

Knock before entering...

Postby Rabbi Dali Rick » Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:53 pm

"Feed a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day."

photonicly,
the rebbi
Rabbi Dali Rick

Postby Kinetic » Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:18 pm

RebA! wrote:
Kinetic wrote:At least she added the disclaimer "most of the time" I mean to be the creator of some of the finest beer out there and not be able to sample your work would be horrible.

Ok you can stop suckin up at any time. Pm your addy and I will see what i can do.

That wasn't a suck up, that was stating the cold hard facts....that beer is incredible.

But instead of sending me some, I have a better idea. Take what you would send me and send it to Bob, Mayfield, and the DPW guys in the playa in the form of a care package. Bob posted the other night that all they seemed to have was PBR....and they need better than that. If you need help covering the cost of sending something that way, I'd gladly chip in. And I remember from Mayfield's old posts just how well your care packages are received!
Kinetic

Postby RebA! » Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:31 pm

Bob wouldnt want my beer, its in a bottle and I know how testy he gets over that. I will consider sending another care package to the playa. We will see how our supplies are here.

However. You should still send me your address.. just incase a winter beer wants to go mid country.
/threaddrift at least temporarily

Oh and Rebbi.. wasting away isnt what I would be calling me right now. HEE! Only lost 24 pounds so far. Still over 30 to go.
--Rita Rudner
RebA!

Ohhhh, it's so shinny....

Postby Rabbi Dali Rick » Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:38 pm

Carefull you're beginning to look like an Ethopian Pinup Girl.

"Does this tutu make my ass look fat?"
thinly disguised,
the rebbi
Rabbi Dali Rick

Postby precipitate » Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:39 pm

> Only lost 24 pounds so far.

Yeah, well, that ain't chopped liver. Congrats.
precipitate

Postby Kinetic » Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:33 pm

24 lbs is impressive. I look at food and gain weight.

I did so good on the playa with losing weight, no chocolate, no caffeine, lots of water. I come home and I'm back into my bad habits again. I gotta try harder.

Reba I'll PM that to you, I'm sure if a winter beer wants to take a trip East that I can give it a nice welcome.

And is there anything Bob doesn't grumble about? :)
Kinetic

PreviousNext

Return to Introduce Yourself!