Meat

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Meat

Postby bruno » Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:30 am

My friend showed up midweek with an ice chest full of meat (chicken & beef) which was BBQed promptly that evening. It was pretty interesting to see how ravenous people were for it. Especially the women. People were wandering in from two camps down because they picked up the scent on the wind.

Life on the playa for whatever reason seems to demand much more nutrition than you anticipate. It's no time to go nutritionally ascetic. You'll have a much more vivid time if your belly is well-filled.

Women and meat? My guess is it has something to do with their need for iron, but I'm not a nutritionist.
bruno

Postby diva p » Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:37 am

Damn! Where was your camp located? I would've been there in a flash!
I was craving bacon at the playa! I'm still craving bacon.. and a spicy lovely bloody mary! YUM! One of my many ways of keeping BM alive.
diva p

Postby diane o'thirst » Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:06 am

I could definitely do with some o' dat. I didn't have any energy last year, despite a regular dosage of DHEA and 5-HTP, I still didn't have any pep to my step. I couldn't get to a BBQ joint and order up a slab o' ribs fast enough, Jackson...

I did, however, find packages of vacuum-packed heat-'n-eat bacon at Costco. Grabbed a couple of those and they went missing from the community kitchen sometime during the week...was planning to serve them up for Saturday breakfast.

I'll bring 'em again next year but I ain't waiting until Saturday to eat it ;)

Iron? Vegetarians swear that you can get that from broccoli but I hate the stuff...you can also get it from chocolate but as much as I love that, I'm not going to scarf down 25 of those every day...nope, give me a nice ostrich burger or venison osso bucco, please.
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby nymphgonebad » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:09 am

sure the iron important, but the really crucial thing is protein. most people need between 45 and 50 grams of protein daily. the playa is a harsh mistress, and she will take her (5-10) lbs of flesh before she's thru.

this is the easiest way i know how to present this: if you're body were a car, protein would be your fuel. if you run out......

you need extra fuel on the playa - most of us don't spend our days in 115 degree weather building geodesic domes while hippy flipping. and the time you need it most is in the morning.

other stuff you need to feel good:

-amino acids - if protein is fuel, then amino acids are like high-test gasoline. makes car go vroom.

-vitamins & minerals

-omega 3 fatty acids

-complex carbohydrates( high fiber, lo glycemic )

check out the "your kick ass recipe thread" for more info.
nymphgonebad

Bacon Camp

Postby ronski » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:12 pm

Diva P should have gone over to the Bacon Camp. Nice small group over about 8:30 or so, past Revered. They said their theme evolved as each year they always brought too much bacon. They had 25 pounds of it on hand when I stopped by. When they cooked you could smell it ways away; I first thought I was hallucinating.
ronski

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks