GREATEST BASEBALL FANS IN THE WORLD?

All things outside of Burning Man.

Postby Simply Joel » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:12 pm

cowboyangel wrote:Joel....you look cute in your hat.......

i know.
Democrats... snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, daily!

slap my salmon, baby
Simply Joel

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:01 pm

Yanks Hesitant About Martínez
By THE NEW YORK TIMES

Published: November 21, 2004

he Yankees often telegraph their off-season strategy months in advance, sending signals to the rest of baseball that a certain free agent is all theirs. But in the case of starter Pedro Martínez, the Yankees seem hesitant.

Even after the principal owner George Steinbrenner met Martínez last week, and even after the Yankees were told that the Boston Red Sox had guaranteed Martínez a three-year, $37.5 million contract, the Yankees still had not made Martínez an offer, according to two baseball officials.

Advertisement

The Yankees do not know for certain that the Red Sox have offered Martínez that deal; their initial proposal was for two years and $25.5 million, and an option. In any case, a person close to Martínez said Martínez was aiming much higher.

The person said Martínez wanted a four-year, $60 million contract, basing his logic on the $15-million-a-year deal Kevin Brown signed with the Los Angeles Dodgers in 1998. Brown was 33 then, the same age Martínez is now.

The Yankees' indecision on Martínez could be a signal that Steinbrenner does not plan to go against the advice of his baseball executives. After meeting Martínez on Tuesday, Steinbrenner delegated potential negotiations to General Manager Brian Cashman.

When Steinbrenner wants a player, he often negotiates with him directly, as he did with David Wells in 2001 and with Gary Sheffield last year.

Martínez's agent Fernando Cuza could not be reached for comment, but he was probably disappointed to have left that meeting with Steinbrenner without an offer.

Without martinez on the Red Soxz, we won't hear that funny chant, "Who's your daddy!"

Sounds like Steinny boi doesn't want to get in the way of breaking up the Soxs.

The Red Soxs has been his biggest money draw ever and as long as they are as great as they are they will pull in the money he needs to attract other players.

A II Z
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby cowboyangel » Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:25 pm

fuck that cholesterol face Steinbrenner and his fucked minions...I'm off to World Series Camp Landia tomorrow!
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981
cowboyangel

Postby Simply Joel » Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:02 pm

take a look at the big dip for me. pee over the edge.

i assume you meant boston, by the way.
Democrats... snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, daily!

slap my salmon, baby
Simply Joel

Postby cowboyangel » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:22 am

you're becoming obsessed with pee Joel. It's the big "dig"
see you in a week!
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981
cowboyangel

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:57 pm

Hey Cowboyangel, I've seen the change in the boston fans already. A friend of mine had finally admitted that the Yankees is great team.

I guess it helps increase the appreciation of being a World Series Champion after an easy win over the Astros.

So far no Boston player has made a move to another team.

Let hope not! Just a few more WS.

Then its the Yankees turn!

A II Z
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby cowboyangel » Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:08 pm

hey Zeus.....I'm in the land of the Red Sox....they're tearing up Fenway to make better drainage, more underground batting cages etc......Boston is a great town......almost as good as SF
cowboyangel

Postby cowboyangel » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:54 am

sorry Rian baseball is made in the off-season with deals like this. Apparently George the Rat thinks he's gonna buy his way into the 2005 World Series...Is he fucking wrong again.......I'm gonna enjoy watching his fat Yankee face explode with colesterol when he looses again.

Yankees, Diamondbacks, Dodgers add players, try to complete megadeal
By BEN WALKER, AP Sports Writer
December 18, 2004

NEW YORK (AP) -- The megadeal involving Randy Johnson, Shawn Green and Javier Vazquez grew to 10 players Saturday, with the New York Yankees, Arizona and Los Angeles hoping to present the proposed trade to the commissioner's office soon for approval.

Pitchers Kaz Ishii, Mike Koplove and Brandon Weeden are now part of the swap, a baseball official told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

The teams were aiming to put the whole deal down on paper this weekend and give it to the commissioner's office perhaps by Monday. The deal needs permission because it involves more than $1 million -- as it stands, the Yankees would pay $2 million of Ishii's contract.

ADVERTISEMENT
Plus, there might be a spinoff to the deal. There's speculation the Dodgers might get Vazquez from the Yankees and then trade the pitcher to the Chicago White Sox.

Johnson remains the centerpiece of the trade, with the Yankees trying to get the five-time Cy Young winner from Arizona. New York also would acquire Ishii, a left-hander who went 13-8 with a 4.71 ERA for Los Angeles last season.

Johnson has a no-trade clause, but wants to play for the Yankees. Green also has a no-trade provision, and the Dodgers outfielder has not yet waived it to play for Arizona.

The Diamondbacks might be able to get Green to come to the desert, though -- his former agent, Jeff Moorad, is Arizona's new chief executive officer.

If the deal goes to the commissioner's office, the Yankees plan to ask for a 72-hour window to negotiate a contract extension with Johnson. The 41-year-old lefty is owed $16 million in the last year of his contract.

Green might use that same time frame to see if he can work an extension with the Diamondbacks. He is set to make $16 million in 2005, after slumping this past season to .266 with 28 home runs and 86 RBIs.

Both the Diamondbacks and Dodgers would receive four players in the trade, while the Yankees would get a pair of pitchers.

Koplove, who went 4-4 with a 4.05 ERA in 76 relief appearances with Arizona, would go to Los Angeles with Vazquez. The Dodgers also would get two top prospects from the Yankees, catcher Dioner Navarro and third baseman Eric Duncan.

Arizona would wind up with Green and pitchers Brad Penny, Yhency Brazoban and Weeden. All of them played in the Dodgers' system last season.

Weeden was the Yankees' top draft pick in 2002 and was traded to Los Angeles with Jeff Weaver in last winter's trade that sent Kevin Brown to New York.

Updated on Saturday, Dec 18, 2004 6:27 pm EST

Email to a Friend | View Popular
cowboyangel

Postby helitack » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:13 pm

Maybe we should have a baseball game on the Playa in 05. Wadda ya tink?
helitack

Camp Name: Apokiliptika

Postby cowboyangel » Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:37 pm

Yes to that heli. I brought a few gloves, a bat, (no, not what you think Woodrow) and some baseballs......just played catch with one guy. I'll be happy to bring the stuff again. Playa ball ought be very very interesting don't you think?
cowboyangel

Postby cowboyangel » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:06 pm

at the risk of irritating Rian, I thought I'd mention that spring training camp is just a few months away......does anybody want to play baseball on the playa?
I'll take sign ups now.
cowboyangel

Postby samtzu » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:10 pm

I brought my golf clubs last year, but no one wanted to tee off with me (except for the yahoo's across the street from me, and their balls were to small). Who's up for some golf this year?
The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing ~~ Eric Hoffer
samtzu

Postby geekster » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:10 pm

I'll bring my glove. How about we run the bases backwards, just to make people go "wtf?"
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby cowboyangel » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:14 pm

Good Geekster, just come, Sam, we can play with your balls if you don't mind....ya ya ya...your "GOLF" balls...instead of a baseball...would that pacify you?
cowboyangel

Postby samtzu » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:18 pm

cowboyangel wrote:Good Geekster, just come, Sam, we can play with your balls if you don't mind....ya ya ya...your "GOLF" balls...instead of a baseball...would that pacify you?
Yup... just make sure which balls you're playing with... I know I sure as hell will...
The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing ~~ Eric Hoffer
samtzu

Postby cowboyangel » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:04 pm

Red Sox and Yankees to play season opener

January 7, 2005

NEW YORK (AP) -- Major league baseball's season opener will be played by the Yankees and Red Sox in New York on Sunday night, April 3.

The game, originally scheduled for Monday, will start at 8:05 p.m. and be televised by ESPN2.

Against the Yankees in the AL championship series, Boston became the first major league team to overcome a 3-0 deficit in a best-of-seven postseason series. The Red Sox went on to sweep the St. Louis Cardinals and win the World Series for the first time since 1918.

While the dates for the remainder of the opening three-game series haven't been finalized, the Yankees and Red Sox probably will play Tuesday and Wednesday.

The following week, New York is at Boston for the Red Sox home opener on April 11 at Fenway Park.
cowboyangel

Postby gigglesnort » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:07 pm

so cowboy, I was thinking of your playa baseball game....played with golfballs.....and running backwards around the bases......so does that mean running backwards from first to third, or running forwards from third to first?
gigglesnort

Postby cowboyangel » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:09 pm

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa....home to third to second to first to home...you better be there and that's all I can say to you young Lady!
cowboyangel

Postby gigglesnort » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:16 pm

I might consider playing so long as the crowd all yells "YER GOING THE WRONG WAY" when a runner passes third.....going whichever way.......and only if I can be a bit tipsy in teh process.
gigglesnort

Postby cowboyangel » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:32 pm

hey teh instead of hte! that's progress! Who'se on first?
cowboyangel

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:00 pm

geekster wrote:I'll bring my glove. How about we run the bases backwards, just to make people go "wtf?"

Jimmy Piersall came up with the Boston but was with the New York Metropolitans when he pulled that one.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby cowboyangel » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:13 am

sheet
cowboyangel

Postby gigglesnort » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:46 am

I also will refuse to catch any golfballs that fly my way but instead will duck and cover....okay there are some of the terms of my contract, subject to change at will....
gigglesnort

Postby gigglesnort » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:56 am

In a mostly semi-unrelated topic, my middle girl absolutely refused to engage in a soccer game the one season I signed her up; she would participate in practice, but come game time, she would lie down on the ground and play with the grass or walk the white lines up and down and across the field, disregarding hte ball moving past her feet and the throng of children all vying for toeholds and attention and the crowds of family on either side of hte field yelling "Sarah, get the ball! RUN!"

Once the coach on the other side, upon running past her with the direction of hte game, couldn't keep himself from stopping, picking her up and kissing hte top of her curly little head (which she seemed to completely disregard).
gigglesnort

Postby Bob » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:53 pm

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby cowboyangel » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:24 pm

sring trainig spring training spring training
cowboyangel

Postby cowboyangel » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:44 pm

Please God please bring back baseball soon...I can't stand the rest of the news, your wordly angel on earth -cowboyangel
cowboyangel

Postby cowboyangel » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:58 pm

oh riannnn....riiiiiiannnnnnn
baseball season is right around the corner.........
cowboyangel

Postby Rian Jackson » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:28 am

cowboyangel wrote:oh riannnn....riiiiiiannnnnnn
baseball season is right around the corner.........

shouldn't you have put this on the fuck thread?

gak.

must. leave. country.
surlier than thou
Rian Jackson

Postby cowboyangel » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:14 pm

Giants baseball getting ready to roll too...nothing like taking the ferry to the ball game in beautiful SBC Park......bratwurst there is divine, Rian? SF Burners? Trust me, this is cosmic and you can riff on the energy waves there.
cowboyangel

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion