If I am applying for a low income ticket...

Yep, you can buy, sell, barter or gift them here.

If I am applying for a low income ticket...

Postby Punky Brewster » Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:53 pm

-What if I need a low income ticket yet do not get one?

More specifically:
-Should I try to get both the $145 and $175 to be safe that I get at least one of the more inexpensive tickets (it is unlikely that I can afford both)?

-If I am applying for a low income ticket and still want to make sure I can at least get a $175 ticket when they go on sale, am I to assume that I could be paying for two tickets and might have to sell the $175 ticket if I get a $145 ticket?

-If I do not get one of the low income tix and the $175 tickets sell out quick, I assume that then I will have to buy one for $200+ or hope that I can get one on eplaya (or a miracle) for less.

Also-Why would anyone want to risk having the ticket shipped when will-call is available? What limitations are there to will-call?
Music is the best!
Punky Brewster

Re: If I am applying for a low income ticket...

Postby geekster » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:19 pm

Punky Brewster wrote:-What if I need a low income ticket yet do not get one?

More specifically:
-Should I try to get both the $145 and $175 to be safe that I get at least one of the more inexpensive tickets (it is unlikely that I can afford both)?

I would say that if you can afford the $175 at all, don't even bother with the $145. Save it for the people that can't afford the $175.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby AntiM » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:21 am

Also-Why would anyone want to risk having the ticket shipped when will-call is available? What limitations are there to will-call?

For me, convenience. Will Call lines can be long, and after a 12 hour drive, getting right (relatively speaking) in is nice. Never had a problem with shipping, but that's what the extra, what $10, is for, secure shipping. It also depends on the group you're traveling with or if you're arriving alone. If they all have tickets in hand and you have to go to will call, then they have to get their vehicle out of line and wait for you. Some years this is less of a problem than others, but worth thinking about.

The biggest fear is that the tickets will be left at home when we get to the playa. I may be silly, but one of the final checks is the ticket check. Tickets? You have your ticket? Show me your ticket! Everyone in the car have their ticket?

Besides, I like having a ticket in hand to fiddle with as the event approaches.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Silver 2 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:00 am

I personally like will call. It only takes a few minutes and I hit the potty there so that I don't have to worry about that when looking for a place to set up and unpacking and what not.

There is another thing, if I had the ticket in hand I would always be messing with it and then worrying that I had lost it. Hell, I make about five copies of the verification email and spread them around the various bits of luggage.
I like playing with fire.
Silver 2

Postby Punky Brewster » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:29 pm

geekster wrote:

More specifically:

I would say that if you can afford the $175 at all, don't even bother with the $145. Save it for the people that can't afford the $175.

That's not the point- I knew someone would chime in with that- and I tried to make it clear that I wanted to make sure that I could purchase one of the two cheaper tiers of tickets.
My point is that I can barely afford the $175, much less the possibility that I might wind up buying two (really a hypothetical situation). So, my question isn't really addressed by your response. If I could afford the $175 or even the $200+ tix, then I would certainly buy at those levels.
Music is the best!
Punky Brewster

Postby Rian Jackson » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:41 am

AntiM wrote:

For me, convenience. Will Call lines can be long, and after a 12 hour drive, getting right (relatively speaking) in is nice. Never had a problem with shipping, but that's what the extra, what $10, is for, secure shipping. It also depends on the group you're traveling with or if you're arriving alone. If they all have tickets in hand and you have to go to will call, then they have to get their vehicle out of line and wait for you. Some years this is less of a problem than others, but worth thinking about.

The biggest fear is that the tickets will be left at home when we get to the playa. I may be silly, but one of the final checks is the ticket check. Tickets? You have your ticket? Show me your ticket! Everyone in the car have their ticket?

Besides, I like having a ticket in hand to fiddle with as the event approaches.

the main pilot on our trek down this year and i did a ticket check every fucking time we got back in the vehicle. it must have happened 6 or 7 times before we left and then several on the road.

i only wish we'd done the same with the keys.

thank god for slim jims.
surlier than thou
Rian Jackson

Postby sparkletarte » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:25 pm

I bought my tickets on the eplaya last year, and I got the cheapest ones. It is possible, and not even by a miracle, that you can get yours in the summer. You have to check often, I started in May and got mine in June. After that it gets a bit frantic with lots of people on here asking for cheap ones.

When you get it sent to you ahead of time, you get to hold it and look at it and jump around with it. Why wait in an extra line when you don't have to?
sparkletarte

Postby Badger » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:48 pm

I gotta ask.

Why worry about getting two cheap-o tix? Why not (1) one and let your friend/SO/roommate/best friend, etc. deal with getting their own? Bring yourself and let everyone else worry about bringing themselves. I *imagine this is usually the case with few exceptions.

It just takes from those others (usually by half) the number who could REALLY use a break when the rush happens at sales time.

(look, I KNOW there are SOME exceptions/reasons but reallly...)
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby billybwilde » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:00 pm

Punky Brewster wrote:
geekster wrote:

More specifically:

That's not the point- I knew someone would chime in with that- and I tried to make it clear that I wanted to make sure that I could purchase one of the two cheaper tiers of tickets.
My point is that I can barely afford the $175, much less the possibility that I might wind up buying two (really a hypothetical situation). So, my question isn't really addressed by your response. If I could afford the $175 or even the $200+ tix, then I would certainly buy at those levels.

As far as I know, nobody that applied has been denied a low-cost or scholorship ticket in the years past they've been doing it.

That aside, if you got the extra $30, you should really give it to them. If you just don't like the concept of giving up money, go help on the playa and earn a ticket for next year (there are at least 10 official groups (DPW, rangers, gate, lamplighters, fire enclave, etc), and at least a dozen others that do so (various art-build crews, temple, etc).
billybwilde

Postby IndigoFlash_ » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:12 pm

Silver 2 wrote:I personally like will call. It only takes a few minutes and I hit the potty there so that I don't have to worry about that when looking for a place to set up and unpacking and what not.

There is another thing, if I had the ticket in hand I would always be messing with it and then worrying that I had lost it. Hell, I make about five copies of the verification email and spread them around the various bits of luggage.

ROTFLOL I did exactly the same thing....and even gave a copy to a co worker telling her "Hold on to this, I'll need it back in August"
IndigoFlash_

Postby AntiM » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:50 am

My tickets get stuck into the frame of a family portrait above the computer desk where I can see them everyday. Then they ride to the playa in a large see-through plastic envelope which is remarkably handy for keeping all the maps, guides, papers I accumulate in BRC later.

Only two of us this year, no newbies or friends stuck in our tiny, hot backseat.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Ranger Genius » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:58 am

Leaves more room for all those bricks of heroin, right?
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

Postby bex » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:29 pm

[quote="Punky Brewster"]-What if I need a low income ticket yet do not get one?

More specifically:

if you have already purchased a ticket at any other level in 2005 you will NOT qualify for a low income ticket because you already have one. that is one of the rules for low cost tix:
http://tickets.burningman.com/info.php?i=692
bex

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp of Doom!

Return to 2005 Tickets