Waiting for the Website

Yep, you can buy, sell, barter or gift them here.

Postby Bob A » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:12 pm

billybwilde wrote:
Bob A wrote:we're stuck on the paypal confirmation screen. They are having problems. Have tried 3 or 4 times to push pay. So if paypal is being brought to thier knees what chance does inhouse tickets have?

Bob A

I doubt it's Paypal's servers.

It's inhouseticket's servers not responding to paypal's server going "They paid. It's all good. Give 'em their ticket."... so once that times out, paypal just says sorry try again... press back twice, re-enter your password... and give it another go.

Do youthink it is a live connection back to ticket guys. I would have thought it would be some sort of batch email or some such after transactions ar done. After all how would they do that for joe blow who who just puts a paypal button on their web site.
Bob A

Postby ~CHMOD » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:12 pm

billybwilde wrote:
Bob A wrote:we're stuck on the paypal confirmation screen. They are having problems. Have tried 3 or 4 times to push pay. So if paypal is being brought to thier knees what chance does inhouse tickets have?

Bob A

I doubt it's Paypal's servers.

It's inhouseticket's servers not responding to paypal's server going "They paid. It's all good. Give 'em their ticket."... so once that times out, paypal just says sorry try again... press back twice, re-enter your password... and give it another go.

WOOT!!! That worked! THANK YOU!!!
~CHMOD

Postby sparkletarte » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:16 pm

Thank you, done.
sparkletarte

non US burners????

Postby KurgaN » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:19 pm

what the deal with getting a ticket from outsider the US then??

The fecking form wont let me order a ticket without a zip code; but asks below what cuntry Im from ??? Local festi for local peesp this year is it chaps? :-/ Or am I missing something blatently obvious?
KurgaN

Online frustration just like other BM technology

Postby DoctorIknow » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:24 pm

Did anyone notice that when the huge project under the man finally opened last year (what was it, Wednesday when they openned it??) that the high falutin techno stuff was full of slowness or bugs? That the performance kiosks all around the outside were NOT filled with interaction?

I felt it a huge waste of money,,,once again, used on computer nonsense.

Today's web mess was just like last years web mess.

I didn't get my tickets for months last year, and they were in "limbo" and after I verified the purchase, they were sent.

Everyone: be sure to print out or save all info in the "receipt." You may need it later...
DoctorIknow

Re: non US burners????

Postby billybwilde » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:25 pm

KurgaN wrote:what the deal with getting a ticket from outsider the US then??

The fecking form wont let me order a ticket without a zip code; but asks below what cuntry Im from ??? Local festi for local peesp this year is it chaps? :-/ Or am I missing something blatently obvious?

Maybe not obvious enough?

http://tickets.burningman.com

International Orders

Please remember that we do not mail to countries outside the U.S. and Canada. All other international orders will be held at will call (at no extra charge). You will be given instructions via email on how to pick up your ticket.

... now how you get the will call fee waived, that's up for debate. ;)
billybwilde

Postby Bob A » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:27 pm

So we finally got through the pay pal screen and it denied are credit card. After calling the credit card company we found the 2 outher charges had been put through by pay pal for the tickets. This activated the fraud protection locking the card and filling the credit line. Pay pal only shows the decline on the user info screen. we are tring to call them now.

bob A
Bob A

Tickets!!

Postby X-Kappa-X » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:27 pm

It took two hours, but I have seen the Paypal confirmation page at the end of the tunnel! Just keep at it & good luck to all!

To the foriegn chap- I would hate it if only Americans were invited - sending good internet juice to you.
X-Kappa-X

Re: Online frustration just like other BM technology

Postby billybwilde » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:31 pm

DoctorIknow wrote:Did anyone notice that when the huge project under the man finally opened last year (what was it, Wednesday when they openned it??) that the high falutin techno stuff was full of slowness or bugs? That the performance kiosks all around the outside were NOT filled with interaction?

Yeah, that was a bad scene. They had very few people want to do kiosks (I think at least 1 was by a first year burner), and a few groups that did flaked (a common BM art problem, in all reality).

Hopefully they'll do a better job this year with the "maze" as it's less exposed to the elements (dust storms chase of volenteers like nuttin' else on the playa... then again, it brings out the weirdos too...)...

I kinda understand on-playa problems. Shit like that is bound to happen. I don't understand problems caused by laziness on the part of a vendor. What if Jhonny only showed up with half the crew, and decided only porta-pots form 3-9 o'clock would be cleaned? I don't think he'd be our vendor the next year. (Fortunately, Jhonny is GREAT!!! One of the best entities to scale over the years to our demands. Since they started using different crews for cleaning and pumping a few years back, I haven't seen the overflows of years past)
billybwilde

Re: Tickets!!

Postby KurgaN » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:32 pm

X-Kappa-X wrote:
To the foriegn chap- I would hate it if only Americans were invited - sending good internet juice to you.

i'm afraid it looks like someones forgot to sort out the validation on the ticket purchase form :cry: arr well, ive been 3 years already so i'll give it a miss me thinks. Enjoy and bring some art for the playa! It needs it xx
KurgaN

Postby Princess Dammitt » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:38 pm

FINALLY! Tickets are purchased :D
putty, monkey, zamboni, weasels.....check!
Princess Dammitt

Got through!

Postby HepCat1A » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:43 pm

Got through the process after several attempts and faxed in my shipping address. I still would have preferred mailing in my request for the cheap tickets as in years past. An experience in patience followed by an exercise in faith as I await their arrival. I'll have to work twice as smart the rest of the day to make up for the lost productivity.
HepCat1A

Burning Man Verification

Postby crimbopple » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:45 pm

Still no verification from Burning Man (2:08). But got it from Paypal (1:17). Anyone have any ideas on that?

Sigh.
crimbopple

The good word.

Postby crimbopple » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:54 pm

Confirmation. FINALLY.
So... Conformation from paypal @ 1:17
And Burningman @ 2:17 (though the time stamp says 1:32) the email JUST came in. It could be an email delay thing.

So that is for anyone waiting for the dang Bman conf.

=)

All Good Things.
crimbopple

Postby IndigoFlash_ » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:03 pm

I got my Paypal confirmation at 1:01............still no confirm from Bm :shock:
IndigoFlash_

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:38 pm

trocar wrote:Anybody get to the screen with the Dragon yet? I can't figure out what to do next.
I think you're supposed to have gotten a magic sword a couple levels back and then use the key to the hidden passage.

Sorry. I had to.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Isotopia » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:43 pm

I am so getting a kick out of the whinging going on here.

I know it ain't nice to say it but DAMN I was laughing all through my lunch break reading this thread.
Isotopia

Postby jannell » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:47 pm

More whining:

I kept getting an error message from pay pal as well. Finally the card wouldn't accept charges. I called my credit card company, and the tickets had gone through 2 times, but I had gotten no verification from any company--paypal or burning man. So the "help" person at the c.card company kindly removed both the charges, but disabled the card from being used until the server updates.. tomorrow.

a word of advice to those of you claiming to have tried to access paypal 10+ times--- call your company to make sure you aren't racking up huge charges! i don't want anyone in the same boat i'm in.

...worried...
jannell

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:47 pm

Yeah, Iso, but I bet poor Badger is pulling his hair out trying to buy your ticket, you kept woman, you.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby PurpleKoosh » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:05 pm

GuinivereElise wrote:well then.

fuck me for being a nice person.

Okay! :D
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.
PurpleKoosh

Burning Since: 2003

Postby Quiet Man » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:06 pm

Isotopia, I'm with you. As much as I am sorta whining too, this did give me some chuckles this afternoon. That being said....

My bank account is conveniently missing the exact amount for two tickets (odd, since I'm trying to buy only one). But I have yet to receive a confirmation anywhere. Tried this morning every-which way from Sunday to buy a ticket, had to give up and leave for an hour. Just got back and was going to try again when i noticed my bank is short. What to do, what to do... Guess I'll just sit tight for a while and see what happens.
On the playa, I am known as "Watch"

"46.3% of all statistics are made up."
Quiet Man

Postby GuinivereElise » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:07 pm

PurpleKoosh wrote:
GuinivereElise wrote:well then.

fuck me for being a nice person.

Okay! :D

YAY!

*smootch*
GuinivereElise

Postby Isotopia » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:08 pm

Yeah, Iso, but I bet poor Badger is pulling his hair out trying to buy your ticket, you kept woman, you.

Nah. Badger does get around to buying a ticket for his bud who seems to be perpeptually out of the country as a volunteer for Doctors Without Borders though. Otherwise, when he buys, he buys high albeit grudgingly because he can afford to. He also realizes that some folks really could use the break in the price tier scheme-of-things yet KNOWS that there are plenty of poopie pants out there that are seeing this as a blue light special and NOT an honest attempt by the project to try to insure that folksk from across the economic stratum are at least given the opportunity to go to the event.

It is for those people who Badger believes are probably screaming the loudest that he sends his biggest belly laughs.
Isotopia

Go here to try to get a BM ticket conf email

Postby gTooCrazy » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:11 pm

http://tickets.burningman.com/retrieve.php

enter your purchasing email and supposedly you will get a conf email, though I have not gotten mine yet.
gTooCrazy

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:32 pm

Iso,
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO corrected.
fishy swims to corner and hangs head.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

confirmations

Postby lennyjones » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:03 pm

After 2 hours of trying I got 2 Direct Debit confirmations and 1 paypal debit confirmation. I emailed them to cancel the first 2. nothing has hit my bank yet...
lennyjones

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:48 pm

Got bored after 45 minutes of trying.
Went back to bed to sleep my drunk off.
Hopped on the computer at 4:30pm and had my tickets bought in 3 minutes- still at the "yes I am really poor" level.

Next year I will remember this lesson and not even try to buy my tickets until 3 or 4 hours after they go on sale.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Badger » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:41 pm

Guess I'll just sit tight for a while and see what happens.

A very good strategy. Do a screen copy and any other thing that suggests a bebit from your account. Thing is though, if you go wading through the old e-playa you'll notice that these very same, very EXACT issues get brought to the fore with lots of yelping, clothes tearing and nail biting only to find out that the ticket crew is on it. Give 'em a chance. A fucking break even.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

aw heck

Postby crimbopple » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:36 pm

Yah. I got charged twice, but it's all good. I just sold my tix to a friend who was doubly psyched that I got 'em at the 175 level. It all works out in the end.

frank goodness.
crimbopple

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:33 am

How it played in the sf paper
Burning Man tickets went on sale at noon Wednesday, although the man won't burn for another 239 days, and folks snatched up some 10,000 of them before sundown.

The ticket sales and announcement of the theme for this year's event -- "Psyche: the Conscious, the Subconscious and the Unconscious" -- are coming two months earlier than last year, in part to beef up the budget but also to give people more time to prepare.

The Burning Man organization incurred major expenses recently, spending more than $800,000 to bring its 200-acre ranch in Nevada, and its staging and storage area for the event, up to code.

"We are broke," said Burning Man founder Larry Harvey. "We dumped so much money into the property."

Tickets for a week of "radical self-expression" range from $145 to $250. The cheapest tickets -- there are 2,000 available -- are reserved for low- income participants. The remaining tickets start at $175. Buyers are asked to buy the most expensive tickets they can afford to make cheaper tickets available to those in need.

As soon as the tickets went on sale, the Burning Man Web site was jammed. Buyers vying for the cheap tickets overwhelmed the site, and service was spotty throughout the afternoon.

The prices may seem high for a dusty week in the desert, but the event costs millions to produce and is a yearlong effort.

"People who complain usually haven't been," Harvey said. "And the people who have been often only imagine the costs that affect them directly, the toilets and building the man."

It costs about $212 per person to make Burning Man happen, he said, and tickets sold for less are subsidized by the higher-price tickets.

Expenses for the 2003 event, the most recent figures available, give a glimpse as to how much Burning Man costs, the infrastructure behind it and the number of people working on it.

Costs for 2003 included more than $603,000 paid to the Bureau of Land Management to cover environmental protection at the National Conservation Area, which includes the Black Rock Desert, where the event is held.

An additional $528,000 went to renting equipment, tools, cars, trucks and offices. The Burning Man organization paid $1.2 million for outside services, including independent contractors, a Department of Public Works crew, technology consultants, ranger management and administrative support -- as well as $1 million in payroll for 25 full-time employees.

Toilets cost $319,000. An additional $288,000 went toward art grants. There was $13,000 for costumes, $189,000 for fire safety, $223,000 for insurance, $76,000 for printing and $158,000 for medical supplies. Renting the properties in San Francisco and Nevada cost $136,000, tax and licenses came to $335,000, and watering to keep the dust down was $80,000.

With all the 2003 expenses, there was only a $44,000 surplus -- an increase over the $9,000 in 2002. The extra money was used for improvements, technology and staff bonuses, Harvey said.

There are 10,000 tickets available for $175, 5,000 for $200 and 5,000 for $225. An unlimited number sell for $250. The pricier tickets don't come with any frills or privileges over the cheap ones.

"It is exciting that we got our act together this year and could get sales going at the first of the year," said spokeswoman Marian Goodell. "It helps us manage our time, money and resources, and fund things as soon as possible."
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Previous

Return to 2005 Tickets