Rainbow=you learn your desire,BM=you learn what you can give

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Rainbow=you learn your desire,BM=you learn what you can give

Postby Atomic Gardener » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:04 am

Hows that for a comparison? I admit, it would have been a bit different but there is only so much room allowed in that space. I could ramble on some more, like how this was spurred on by having some things I put out there for others pleasure (and some friends also) was used in a way I hadn't intended (=stolen, and hence my idea for Thievery Camp next year; see new camp idea post)....and like how I had been trying for months to come up with another comparison between the two (BM=fire air, Rainbow=earth water...BM=future, Rainbow=past....wouldBM=microcosom,Rainbow=macrocosom work? How about BM=individual, Rainbow=group? Rainbow=youth, BM=adult?Hmmmm, I'm on a roll, ok, BM=purple, Rainbow=pink...no, um.....BM=wealth, Rainbow=poverty, there we go, ok.....BM=caucasian, Rainbow=gypsy? no, not really..but there's something there...ok, one more, BM=bad intentions gone good, Rainbow=good intentions gone bad...hmmm, some semantics might make that last one meaningless or extremely multilayered....more than my mind can do tonight....so what were we saying?) oh yeah, and my anger/disapointment etc. must have spurred my little mind with the splinter of my discontent to get pissy, pussey (as in infection, kids), and then realize that giving with strings attatched is as much of a nono as direct barter,etc.....complete with all the Karma problems that we all have witnessed and heard that can bring at BM.....so instead of spending a few $100 on various porta potty lighing schemed (el wire, LED, etc.) why not just hand out some gadgets at each potty a few nights? Meet and greet is the best part of BM after all, right? Its those "gee, this camp set up makes me feel sort of alone, and not in a good way" experiences at BM that I dislike the most, after all.....so, let the feedback roll, please. Atomic Gardener (used to be Potty Sprite, but I've expanded my territory).
Atomic Gardener

Postby Badger » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:02 am

Meet and greet is the best part of BM after all, right?

No.

Snagging some parasitic, clueless fuck slinking across the playa as he's trying to sneak into the event with five cars intercepting him at 50 mph using level 3 night vision on a moonless night and seeing the terrified look in his eyes a quarter mile away while you're blasting Diamanda Galas full volume out of the open sun roof. That's the best part of Burning Man.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Chef » Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:27 am

Badger wrote:No.

Snagging some parasitic, clueless fuck slinking across the playa as he's trying to sneak into the event with five cars intercepting him at 50 mph using level 3 night vision on a moonless night and seeing the terrified look in his eyes a quarter mile away while you're blasting Diamanda Galas full volume out of the open sun roof. That's the best part of Burning Man.

Sounds like fun, can I ride with you some night?
Chef

Postby Zane5100 » Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:31 am

Badger wrote:
Meet and greet is the best part of BM after all, right?

No.

That story brought a tear to my eyes, Badger.

I'm envious.
middle-aged, wannabe-hipster, dilettante
Zane5100

dj big e says

Postby dj big E » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:18 am

badger quit holding out videos pictures stories come on i want some documentation lmao. dj big "E"
dj big E

Postby Lydia Love » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:52 am

Diamanda Galas full volume

Badger, you rock.
It's all about the squirrels.
Lydia Love

Postby Kinetic » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:18 pm

I wanted to be a Ranger before. I know I want to do it now.
Kinetic

Uh....

Postby Atomic Gardener » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:51 pm

Ummm....well, that's an entertaining image and all, and I guess it means that what you have to give is a reincarnation of a Valkyrian terror as a "geeter"...and hey, maybe that person really go into the spirit of things after your road warrior action.....but, um, anyone have a comment on the title of the thread? Do you all know what a rainbow gathering is (maybe I assumed too much there....)....thanks, AG
Atomic Gardener

Re: Uh....

Postby nymphgonebad » Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:06 am

Atomic Gardener wrote:Ummm....well, that's an entertaining image and all, and I guess it means that what you have to give is a reincarnation of a Valkyrian terror as a "geeter"...and hey, maybe that person really go into the spirit of things after your road warrior action.....but, um, anyone have a comment on the title of the thread? Do you all know what a rainbow gathering is (maybe I assumed too much there....)....thanks, AG

ag, i actually have a theory about this: it's my belief that all burners are the reincarnations of dead hippies who went to rainbow gatherings together.
nymphgonebad

Postby Badger » Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:20 am

Ummm....well, that's an entertaining image and all, and I guess it means that what you have to give is a reincarnation of a Valkyrian terror as a "geeter"...and hey, maybe that person really go into the spirit of things after your road warrior action.....but, um, anyone have a comment on the title of the thread? Do you all know what a rainbow gathering is (maybe I assumed too much there....)....thanks, AG

AG, plese don't condescend to this herd. You'll only get hurt.

Better yet, why not explain to us dumblings what a Rainbow Gathering actually is?
Last edited by Badger on Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Badger » Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:21 am

ag, i actually have a theory about this: it's my belief that all burners are the reincarnations of dead hippies who went to rainbow gatherings togeth.

Thanks for sowing the seeds to my next nightmare.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Badger » Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:24 am

[quote]a
Last edited by Badger on Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby RebA! » Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:59 am

I would be more than happy to comment on your original post if i could understand it.
"My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpets or ruin our lives."
--Rita Rudner
RebA!

Postby Kinetic » Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:16 pm

Somebody doesn't seem to know who Badger is or that post would never have been submitted....but that's just an opinion and we all know how that goes.

I would like to hear more about what all the Rangers had to deal with out there this year! It sounds like they worked their asses off.
Kinetic

Postby Spokes » Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:07 pm

It sounds like they worked their asses off.

Not quite.

Spokes

Postby Kinetic » Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:11 pm

Ohmygawd!

I keep thinking of that famous South Park quote: "You shall respect my authority"......

And I want to be a Ranger next year? After seeing that I know I gotta go for it.
Kinetic

damm it

Postby Piper » Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:45 pm

Damm it I am in that picyure, I have been waiting for the whole series. Where can I get them?
Peace
Piper

I said, "Man, I'd like to stay
But I'm bound for glory
I'm on my way
My ride's here...

Warren Zevon RIP
Piper

Postby Kinetic » Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:48 pm

Piper, where did you get your avatar from? I love anything Kokopelli but that avatar of yours is different than what I've run into before.
Kinetic

Postby Spokes » Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:52 pm

Hey Piper! We met at the ranger station while waiting for Ranger Beauty. I wasn't the "official" photographer, just standing by for the wedding. I think this link is the guy that shot the photos and the pano. It's a great site anyway and worth the time to take a look. http://www.digitalpanos.com/blackrock/utilikilt_01/index.html
Spokes

Love is thicker than postings...well, depends on the poster-

Postby Atomic Gardener » Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:04 pm

What to you mean, if I knew who skunk was...I mean badger (er)? He sounds like one of my ex boyfriends.....(wink). AG
Atomic Gardener

Postby Piper » Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:12 pm

I play the pipes and when I was with the High Desert Pipes and Drum in Alb. We were friends witht eh Seven Pipers society in Tucson. One of their members had made the original KokoPipey and I asked him if I could use it on my business cards etc. Given an affermitive I changed it some and have been using it as my personal totem ever since.

There are some very personal reasons I used kokopelli, as my totem untill I saw this one, but this one just spoke to me
Peace
Piper

But I'm bound for glory
I'm on my way
My ride's here...

Warren Zevon RIP
Piper

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:05 pm

Er... Badger-san...

We built that fence, fuckwit.

Where's my fucking emoticon?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Borris » Sun Sep 21, 2003 3:53 pm

That's it. Next year i'm on nightshifts with the perimeter crew, I'd recon tuesday and wednesday night should be fun.
Shit, where was i for the last week... ehm...
Borris

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: DPW

Postby Piper » Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:02 pm

Spokes wrote:Hey Piper! We met at the ranger station while waiting for Ranger Beauty. I wasn't the "official" photographer, just standing by for the wedding. I think this link is the guy that shot the photos and the pano. It's a great site anyway and worth the time to take a look. http://www.digitalpanos.com/blackrock/utilikilt_01/index.html

right on, so this was a "side" pic ;) Thanks for posting it, I checked out the pano site many times, and now the Ranger pano is up, just 3 or 4 UK panos to go.

so not knowing where everyone lives yet are you going to the Sac or SF decom?
Peace
Piper

But I'm bound for glory
I'm on my way
My ride's here...

Warren Zevon RIP
Piper

Postby Kinetic » Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:05 pm

Borris wrote:That's it. Next year i'm on nightshifts with the perimeter crew, I'd recon tuesday and wednesday night should be fun.

That's when I want to work is at night. I'm not sure what shifts new Rangers get put on but this is one I'd love to work.

I know that Badger seemed to always work nights. Everytime I run into him either at Center Camp or when he was driving around it was late night or right before sunrise. I was beginning to think he was a vampire who never saw the sun.
Kinetic

Postby Borris » Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:18 pm

Hey i don't wanna be a Bloody Khaki peacekeeping ranger.

I wanna be a Black Perimeter watch.
Shit, where was i for the last week... ehm...
Borris

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: DPW

Postby Kinetic » Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:21 pm

Borris wrote:Hey i don't wanna be a Bloody Khaki peacekeeping ranger.

I wanna be a Black Perimeter watch.

Better yet join Chupacubra Policia and have fun with those guys.
And btw, I never got to see Mayfield out there. And I tried to find him too.
Kinetic

Postby precipitate » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:05 pm

> And I tried to find him too.

He was busy. I got lucky I saw him at all either.
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Postby Flux » Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:37 pm

I've not been to a Rainbow Family gathering, but would like to. I talked to a guy for a while who had just come back from the national event, and it sounds like something worth checking out, at least for those of us who lean more in the hippie direction...
Flux

Postby Kinetic » Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:03 pm

I missed going to the Missouri one that was practically held in my back yard or 5 hours South of here. Now they seem to be on the West Coast and too far to drive to. I only have so many vacation days so it's BM, now Burning Flipside and a couple of nice kayaking / canoe trips.

If they have it closer I would sacrifice the kayak trips to go. It does sound like something I'd feel at home with.
Kinetic

Return to Politics & Philosophy