The Dave Train

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

The Dave Train

Postby cptnspooky » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:55 pm

We have been building and running an art car for the playa for the last 3 years called the DAVE TRAIN. Each year we have doubled our capacity to about 100 people this year at last. We enjoy providing a service for the people of Black Rock City. We gather folks bring them to and fro, take home their trash and bikes when possible, and try to provide a friendly atmosphere to encourage human interaction where we can pass out gifts and hopefully happy memories. At night we provide transportation to the big events, and a trailer to crash out on if you are worn out. We also provide platforms to dance with our own sound system, stage and laser lighting. I was just curious if anyone out there had any good experiences (or bad) that they would like to share.

We have had a blast doing it for the last few years and each year we strive to out do ourselves. We always try to be as fun and safe as possible but even with 3 people working safety this year we had one guy jump off and break his leg and another girl try to jump on while we were moving and she was subsequently injured as well. We were scared and saddened by the news of the poor girl who was killed this year and that coupled with our own experiences had brought us to the conclusion that unfortunately no matter how hard you try you cannot prevent people from being crazy. I think art cars are an integral part of the playa experience and would hate to see them banned although I am hearing rumors to that effect.

Anyway, I was jujst curious to know if any of you burners had a chance to ride the dave train and what you thought.

Cheers and hope you had a happy burn

[img]Visit www.sbburners.com for our photo archives - here's a good one of last year''s that almost fits in the photo.

[/img]
http://www.photonirvana.com/BurningMan0 ... CN4708.htm
Last edited by cptnspooky on Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cptnspooky

All aboard.....the Dave Train!

Postby mopsy » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:14 pm

I camped across from you guys (Bunny Camp) and though I never rode on the Dave train it always seemed like a good ride. I am sorry I never hopped on. From my perspective it seemed like you guys were doing everything right. I hope the Dave Train rides again and I apologize for being a smart ass on the mic.

mopsy

ps. does anyone else feel weird?
mopsy

ah the Dave Train... from another neighbor...

Postby cowgirl » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:39 pm

i was camped with Pollination and loved your train!

sadly every time you took off i was not on the train... but you were lovely neighbors and i hope to see you next year...

oh - and my boyfriend is a david and smiled every time he saw the Dave Train go by...
cowgirl

Loved the Dave Train

Postby The Key Man » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm

I rode the Dave Train from way out on the esplanade to center camp and then toured around a bit...it was a blast.

Loved the good cheer and fun ride, hope to see you again next year!
The Key Man

Loved the Dave Train

Postby The Key Man » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm

I rode the Dave Train from way out on the esplanade to center camp and then toured around a bit...it was a blast.

Loved the good cheer and fun ride, hope to see you again next year!
The Key Man

Dave Train to Retire

Postby cptnspooky » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:52 pm

Hey guys,

Wow, I just posted a half an hour ago and did not expect to see any replies just yet. I guess I forgot to mention in my post that we are retiring the Dave Train this year. One to many close calls out there on the playa and a whole lot of work every summer. Sorry folks but the Dave Train has left the station for the last time. We begged Dave to take her out one last time, but he convinced me to go to Bora Bora next year instead. Maybe we will be back again in 2005 :-)

The Dave Train will forever be chuggin along in our hearts though.

Cheers

Captain Spooky
cptnspooky

Postby barbu » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:36 pm

dear dave train:
i had the immense joy, my first night out there as a virgin, wednesday, lost on a cocktail of immense potency and burn-fire, to run into the dave train. i almost pissed myself laughing when i saw it; somehow i had a feeling it was heading back to my home near pinky's and i leapt on. i turned out to be wrong, it was heading the opposite way, but i had a blast talking and mumbling to the gorgeous travellers around me, and was dropped off at one of the domes that had some wonderful music crankin all night, centering and recharging me....the dave train rocks, i hopped on it every time i saw it pass, even if just for a moment, just to say thanks. so i'll say it again, thanks for all the hard work, love, creativity, time, and money that went into it, sorry to hear it's retiring but we all understand....happy burn to all.
high on the hilltop...
barbu

Re: All aboard.....the Dave Train!

Postby furrball » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:11 pm

Mopsy, were you the one making obscene comments on the mic whenever Animal Control came to take care of your bunnies? You should be ashamed of yourself. We provide a valuable service on the playa, keeping disease down, making sure Playa animals get decent homes etc... and besides, we have lovely red uniforms...

mopsy wrote:I camped across from you guys (Bunny Camp) and though I never rode on the Dave train it always seemed like a good ride. I am sorry I never hopped on. From my perspective it seemed like you guys were doing everything right. I hope the Dave Train rides again and I apologize for being a smart ass on the mic.

mopsy

ps. does anyone else feel weird?
furrball

Re: All aboard.....the Dave Train!

Postby evilbunny » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:47 am

furrball wrote:Mopsy, were you the one making obscene comments on the mic whenever Animal Control came to take care of your bunnies? You should be ashamed of yourself. We provide a valuable service on the playa, keeping disease down, making sure Playa animals get decent homes etc... and besides, we have lovely red uniforms...

Animal control is WRONG. Bunnies deserve the right to breed as much as we please! We can even breed with Santas, clowns, and KITTIES if we damn please.

You cannot and will not hold us down. Next year Animal Control best watch out. Evil Bunny has bred and we plan to take you DOWN. Your tags will be burned at the man!

See you at thunderdome. :twisted:

-EvilBunny
evilbunny

Return to Politics & Philosophy