Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Postby Last Real Burner » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:58 pm

Hi my name is Rabbi Dali Rick. I frequent this board a lot. What's your name, and how did you hear about this place? We are really glad you're here. We love meeting new people, sharing idea's, community, and the general koas of life.

Just remember who's in charge and everything will be fine.

"Never get into an argument with an idiot...he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."
welcomingly,
the rebbi
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".
Last Real Burner

Hell, I will post

Postby Lo5150 » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:44 pm

My name is Lorie and I am from a cabin in the Santa Cruz mountains. I do ferret rescue (YES, they are still illegal in CA). I am computer retarded, or I could post some great pics. I love my job, am happily married some of the time, but am not getting a divorce. Do lots of stuff-beach, movies, BM events, LOTS of ferret stuff. I heard about BM from my brother 4 years ago. He has been going for years. He does the Playa Bells. This year he retired and helped Larry out with legal stuff. (retired attorney.) Anyway, blah blah blah. I laugh alot, although I did not laugh alot at BM this year due to a doctors error and the fact that I was way too overwhelmed. Hoping to see everyone next year regardless.
Guns don't kill people, burning couches kill people.
-Sign seen at BM in 20002-
Lo5150

Postby TheMuse » Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:45 pm

Hi I am The Muse... It has been 18 days since my last visit to the Playa. 2003 was my first year and I had a blast! I live in the SF Bay area and am a 3rd generation CA native. A bit of a geek, I love computer games, live action role playing and naked pictures of Sting (yah baby!). I am an ex-metalhead, ex-punk, ex-goth now-hippie with a love of life and new experiences.

All of you burning people are fabulous and I would love to have one big group wedding next year at the man!
Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.
TheMuse

Postby J » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:16 pm

I'm Jay, next year will be my first Burning Man. I've wanted to go for years but never had the resources. Culinary school graduate, gave up a career to be happy. Work at a book store. and have decided to not know what to be when I grow up (although Euro-Trash does sound appealing).
J

Postby TheMuse » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:17 pm

Euro Trash rocks! Maybe you could start a EuroTrash camp, while I could do a WhiteTrash camp and we can have mixers!
Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.
TheMuse

Postby Niacin » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:27 pm

I am Max, Niacin, Vitamin B3. I didn't know there was a Niacin in Snowflake Village and he seems pretty important, however, I've had this nick for quite a while now but I'll probably trade it in when properly playa named. I'm not for sale, and the coupon in last Sunday's circular has expired, sorry.

Cheers,
Max
lebenskunstler - noun, German - someone for whom life is an art form.
Niacin

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Zondermaan

Postby OregonRed » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:46 pm

I'm Shelley Wright, married (blissfully), mother to two daughters ages 9 and 11, 28 yrs. old, '03 was my third year in BRC, and I'm looking forward to many more years on the playa.

My nickname, Red, comes from the very obvious, (I have red hair) but my husband was the first to call me that 4 years ago. My favorite color is
green. My favorite band is Widespread Panic, and my favorite book is "Where the Wild Things Are".

I can totally relate to The Muse in being an ex-metalhead, punk rocker, goth and everything else. Now, I just refuse to be labeled.
M*A*S*H 4207 We're not doctors.

"Just be yourself. All the good personalities are taken." stolen from my amazing friend Dwayne Gerken's fb status post.

OregonRed

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby J » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:17 pm

While starting a Euro-Trash camp does sound appealing, I think it may be too big of an undertaking for my first year. How ever I am planning a village called "Fort Awesome", well it's more like a camp as oppose to a village. Well it's not so much a camp, really it's just my tent.

However I do have a sign, and I am working on a flag.

You can join if you want.

J
J

Postby OregonRed » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:43 pm

vonfunk wrote:While starting a Euro-Trash camp does sound appealing, I think it may be too big of an undertaking for my first year. How ever I am planning a village called "Fort Awesome", well it's more like a camp as oppose to a village. Well it's not so much a camp, really it's just my tent.

However I do have a sign, and I am working on a flag.

J

When MASH 4*2*0*7*th started in 1999, it was my husband, his friends Milkman Dan and Duke a 14 foot Army hex tent. In 2003 we had 15 members and three 16'x36' GP mediums, one GP small, and the hex tent that started it all.

Start small...Dream big...it'll all come together.
M*A*S*H 4207 We're not doctors.

"Just be yourself. All the good personalities are taken." stolen from my amazing friend Dwayne Gerken's fb status post.

OregonRed

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby nymphgonebad » Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:19 pm

OregonRed wrote:[color=redMy favorite band is Widespread Panic[/color]

oh - my - gawd!!!!!!

red, you are a righteous babe. another "spread-head"!!!!
nymphgonebad

Postby notthat1 » Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:28 pm

Hello,my real name is not inportant at this point.while on another site someone came on with pictures from this years event.I was blowen away with the pictures,and i started to asks some questions about Burningman,and what it was,etc.I was told to come here...so here i am.I live in the Northwest/Seattle area.I'm hopeing to meet some other burners up here real soon.
Everyone has the opportunity for greatness, not fame, but greatness, for greatness only requires service--Martin Luther King Jr
notthat1

Postby Chef » Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:35 pm

I am the one known as Chef. This year was my fourth journey to BRC. I'm 48, seperated, 2 kids, 2 fish, 1 cat. I spend way too much time in the Cafe making coffee for everyone. I have camped with the Solo Collective all 4 years, this coming trip will be a new group, probably the Cafe Village since that crew is who I spend most of the week with.
Questions?
Chef
Chef

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:37 pm

vonfunk wrote:Well it's not so much a camp, really it's just my tent.

woo hoo, everyone in funk's tent!

Well as long as I'm here... I've graduated Burner School (4 years) and this year my senior project was to build my own parachute dome (22' across) and to assist with the light/astronomy project known as To Infinity and Beyond (10 LED wands and an audio track describing various mysteries of the cosmos).

I'm too shy to have ever met any of these wonderful people but hope to work on that in post-graduate study next year.

I lived in Boston for awhile but relocated to the Los Angeles area to be with my beloved wife.

Postby J » Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:45 pm

Yeah, it'll be kickin'.

So far all I have figured out is a cooler full of beverages and Cuban cigars.

As a Canadian it is my right, nay, my duty, to enter the Grand Ol' U.S.of A with post-embargo contraband (as written in the Helms-Burton Act) as it is the only law that I am allowed to break whilst visting your country.

J
J

Postby Ivy » Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:49 pm

to assist with the light/astronomy project known as To Infinity and Beyond

So you know Alexiis then?

Oh, and my name's Ivy. But that's not important.
Ivy

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:51 pm

Ivy wrote:So you know Alexiis then?

Yup! Haven't seen her since before BM though, except perhaps dancing on Thursday...

Postby Ivy » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:12 pm

I believe she is dancing this Sunday down here in the LBC if you want to come.
Ivy

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:13 pm

Ivy wrote:I believe she is dancing this Sunday down here in the LBC if you want to come.

Thanks for letting me know! (uh, what exactly is LBC?)

Postby Ivy » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:15 pm

(uh, what exactly is LBC?)

Itz my 'hood, homie. The LBC.

(Long Beach)
Ivy

Postby Angry Butterfly » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:03 am

I am THE ANGRY BUTTERFLY! This was my first year at burningman and will not be my last, I like to live in BIG, LOUD theme camps and then miss all the parties, because even though I AM A RAVER, I am by nature A MORNING PERSON. AND I sleep best while listening to TRANCE MUSIC AT EAR SPLITTING VOLUME. I am completely serious. I like to crush red bull cans! I liked burningman because nobody stared at me like they do in the real world when I wear my regular clothing which some people thought was a costume! I NEED A JOB. I am up past my bedtime!
I took the road less traveled, and now I would like to go back and find the paved one.
Angry Butterfly

Who? Me?

Postby Blenderhead » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:35 am

My name is Blenderhead. I am a BM virgin. My first 20x20 panel of camo netting arrived yesterday, and is currently resting comfortably on the floor of my office. When my coworkers go to lunch in 1 hour and 20 minutes, I'm going to camo their cubes. I'm sure they will appreciate this very much.
Blenderhead

Re: Who? Me?

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:50 am

I'm going to camo their cubes. I'm sure they will appreciate this very much.[/quote]

please let us know how that turns out
oh i am garrett an d a virgin gtg

Postby DangerMouse » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:32 am

Arrrr!

I be DangerMouse and have yet to attend the mangy burningman festival!

Though I be mightily lookin' forward to attending in '04 and make'n ye all walk tha plank!

Oh, and if ye didn't know it, today be Talk Like a Pirate day! Get yer pirate on before we broadside ye with a cannonade of nappy wipes and pop tarts ye mangy dogs!

The camo netting bit sounds awefully JWZish though. =)
DangerMouse

Burning Since: 2004

<burp>

Postby jarjar » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:40 am

Hi chef! hi Ivy! jarjar here. i'm a 3X burner, living in AZ. i had many trials and tribulations going to the burn this year, and almost didn't get home. a normal 14 hour trip became a 5 day nightmare. thank Larry for other burners on the road! if it wer'ent for them, i'm not sure if we could have made it home when we did!
"see what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass?"
jarjar

ARRRR!

Postby jarjar » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:43 am

oh yeah, i forgot about the pirate thing! ARRR! did anyone else see Survivor last night? isnt the big dude with the beard perfect burner fodder? the first thiing he did was "pillage" the rival tribe's stuff! arrr!
"see what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass?"
jarjar

Re: ARRRR!

Postby nymphgonebad » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:45 am

jarjar wrote:oh yeah, i forgot about the pirate thing! ARRR! did anyone else see Survivor last night? isnt the big dude with the beard perfect burner fodder? the first thiing he did was "pillage" the rival tribe's stuff! arrr!

multiple postings i know, but i can't resist:

why do pirates love fiberglass insulation? because of the high arrrrr value!
nymphgonebad

Is This The Right Exit?...

Postby Last Real Burner » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:52 pm

Hi and Arrr to all...

I see you have all made yourselves quite a home. :lol:

Virgin burners, did you read the survival guide yet? That is probably the first thing you should get your hands on if you plan on attending next year. You may want to attend the SF Decompression on Oct 12th, to get a feel of the community and the people you will be living with in the desert for a week

"You could die in the desert without Tequlia!"

responsibly,
the rebbi
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".
Last Real Burner

It's official

Postby Blenderhead » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:52 pm

A 20x20 panel of camo netting will provide adequate shade for 4 cubicles (may be an "art" concept developing here). Occupants of cubicles are happy for the relief from glaring flourescent lighting. If I had a massive turbine fan and a couple hundred pounds of flour, I think I could partially recreate what I've seen in so many photos from BRC (and get fired).

Howdy LRB, thanks for starting this thread. Survival Guide has already been downloaded and studied, and I'm hosting 3 LA-based burners for Decompression (the party is about 1/2 mile from my house).

This should be fun.
Blenderhead

Postby DangerMouse » Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:37 pm

Survival guide? We don't need no steenkin' survival guide!

Actually, I've read it, and re-read it, and started making checklists, and checking it twice, and reading the eplaya to figure out who's naughty and who's nice... er wait, that's Satan clause.

Blender, only issues I've had w/ camo netting in the past is that it tends to stink unless stored properly (which it never is).

Avast me hearties! Er, sorry, switching pirate modes.

Mentally I am downloading My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult - A Daisy Chain for Satan in mp3 format at 192 kbps.

Honestly, I've read and read and read about BM for years, wishing, hoping, craving to go. However I still really don't know what to expect. Other than I'm going to have wear a shirt that says 'I'm an introverted bastard AND a BM virgin. Help me!' =)

Hrm, maybe that's too long.

'If found horizontal, please revert me to the vertical plane.'

nah...
DangerMouse

Burning Since: 2004

Postby precipitate » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:02 pm

> However I still really don't know what to expect.

And you won't until you get there. Even then, you'll need to discard your
expectations for your second trip, because it's always a little different
(and a little the same, you just never know which bits are getting mixed
up).
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself!