Best make & model dust mask & goggles

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Zakolantern

Best make & model dust mask & goggles

Post by Zakolantern » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:13 am

In today's Jack Rabbit Speaks, it states it may be an extremely dusty year. I'm interested in everyone's opinion on the best / ideal make and model of dustmask and goggles. Please do not state "just use search; this has been asked before!" -- there's no good answer available via search that I could find.

I'm looking for answers in the form of "I personally use and love this mask: because it packs up small in my bag, is comfortable, and lets me get a full breath of clean air". Note: that's an example; I haven't personally used that mask on the Playa before.

For goggles, please add if you wear them over prescription eyeglasses; many (most?) goggles don't work if you're wearing glasses under them.

I'm NOT looking for answers like "I use a painter's mask" or "they're all about the same" or "just use a scarf".

Thanks a lot. (And if you can specify what size head the product works well for, all the better!)

And in case this is helpful to anyone:
Some links to dust mask products I've looked at today before posting this question (no personal experience with these!):

http://www.playalung.com/products-page/masks

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/ ... /DUST+MASK

And goggles for going over eye glasses, again no personal experience:
http://www.activeforever.com/p-16855-uv ... ggles.aspx
http://maximumeyewear.com/productfolder ... ggles.html

Homiesinheaven
Burning Since: 2008

Re: Best make & model dust mask & goggles

Post by Homiesinheaven » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:37 am

geez, you sure are pushy when asking for help. you're overthinking this WAY too much. used ski goggles and a bandana work the best.

Zakolantern

Post by Zakolantern » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:41 am

Homiesinheaven wrote:geez, you sure are pushy when asking for help. you're overthinking this WAY too much. used ski goggles and a bandana work the best.
I didn't mean to come off as pushy, just specific in what I was looking for...which is exactly not what you just replied with. Sorry. (And I've been to Burning Man before; I wasn't happy with a bandana when the winds and dust picked up.)

MacGlenver
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Post by MacGlenver » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:23 pm

I'm interested in the same. Last year at bman I wore a cheap disposable dust mask from Home Depot. That said, it really wasnt that dusty and I didnt wear it long enough to get a feel for whether it worked well or not. The biggest issue I recall with it was that my warm breath made my face hot. Doubt this issue can be avoided, but I wonder if there are better options. I suppose the super light home depot ones may be the BEST performers in terms of not getting too warm, though I've heard mentions of using those headwraps across your face (as well as getting them wet to improve performance & cooling).

I've considered one of these from amazon, but people mention they like that it keeps their face warm when riding ATVs in the winter, which is the opposite of what I want... arg.

http://www.amazon.com/RZ-Mask-Filters-S ... SKGHSSNF7
http://www.amazon.com/Neoprene-Carbon-M ... 8SKGHSSNF7
http://www.amazon.com/ATV-Tek-Series-Ri ... _recs_2_dp

Given the limited info I've been able to find with concrete opinions, I may just opt for the cheap, ultra packable option of the Home Depot dust mask again... I did hear someone say that it isnt fine enough to pick up the 5 micron dust particles out there though.
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly

MacGlenver

Post by MacGlenver » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:30 pm

As for goggles, I used some old ski goggles. They worked very well even walking directly into hard blowing dust (had to press them to my face to be sure dust didnt get around the edges). I would be sure to get some goggles with ventilation or they may fog up on you, but be sure they have mesh filters over the vents like most ski goggles do.
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:59 pm

There is not much difference, each face is different. People have special sensitivities, eye and lung, and those can crop up or vary unpredictably on playa.

There are different intensities of storm, day and night, and degree of social interaction desired at any given moment. I'm certainly not going to interact with someone in a full on gas mask with dark visors at night. Creepy masks and goggles are fine if that is what you are going for I guess. Does your eye, breathing protection need to harmonize with your costume? Of course those goggles have to look cool tucked up on your BurnerTM hat...

No reason not to have more than one breathing protection system and more than one eye protection system, that act as spares against loss or clog.

I bring a bandanas, cheap surgical masks and a Wilson respirator with standard dust filters. I bring dark welders glasses, glacier glasses with side shields, amber old ski goggles and cheap military surplus bubble goggles clear and tinted. I don't wear prescription glasses with my goggles. Preparing with spares allows you to help out others in need.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

MacGlenver

Post by MacGlenver » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:18 pm

Shit, thats a lot of options. Maybe i'll order some clear bug-eye goggles in case of loss (that would be a disaster this year). I wanted to avoid investing in a specalized dust mask if I couldnt be sure it'd work significantly better, and ease of transport is a big one for me (thus no huge military mask). I'll go cheap dust masks + a backup set of goggles, and throw in a bandana just in case. So far my lungs have proven pretty robust.

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by dragonpilot » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:36 pm

For daytime dust consider an inexpensive pair of motorcycle goggles (Harley Davidson Destinations about $15). For night time dust, a pair of clear skydivers goggles.

For face cover, for the last 4 years I've been using what Middle Easterners have been wearing for centuries...a shemagh. Best thing evah! It's a dust mask, a towel, a shawl...easy breathing and talking. Can be worn with goggles.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

portaplaya

Post by portaplaya » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:09 pm

I just bought goggles from Amazon with transition lenses, thus they are great for day and night.

The user review that the padding was comfortable, even with a big nose, we a selling point. So was the fact that they were nearly 100% field of view. I hope they work OK with the viewfinder on my camera, but if they don't I'll just have to take them off a lot to frame my shots.

TomServo
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:08 pm

Welders cutting goggles work really well.
Image or Image

As far as dust masks go..that's a personal decision..some peeple like rags on their face, others like respirators or gas masks.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

Zakolantern

Post by Zakolantern » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:29 pm

Note that for goggles, I will personally be going with prescription goggles from http://zennioptical.com/ for the second year in a row, unless someone suggests a great over-glasses option. I should have probably stated that in my original post.

Still looking for favorite dust masks. Thanks everyone.

portaplaya

Post by portaplaya » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:59 pm

I got an all organic cotton, reusable mask through a volunteer staff ordering system, it has a logo printed on the mask and is not white, like the medical ones.

Something like this, but customized: http://www.achooallergy.com/mask-organi ... n-mask.asp

Not sure how well it will work yet. I'll certainly be testing it in the field this year.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:58 pm

Keep in mind that I haven't been out there yet, but I based my selection on several goggle threads around this forum.

I wear prescription glasses. Doesn't seem like a good idea to wear contacts in a dusty situation.

My main daytime glasses will be these: http://www.riderseye.com/ItemDetail.asp ... n&Style=82

The foam eyecup is removable, so they can be regular sunglasses or motorcycle sunglasses. The strap can be attached and it will pull them tighter so they're more like goggles. My configuration and prescription ended up at $87 shipped.

Next, I have these: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/MIL-1128

They can be worn over glasses, and have a clear and a smoked lens. 10 bucks.

Finally, I have some cheap prescription glasses so I can leave the expensive ones at home. They cost me $27 including shipping and upgrades to anti-scratch, anti-glare, and polycarbonate. EyeBuyDirect.com for the deal.

So...I can wear the motorcycle glasses as dust resistant glasses or goggles. I can wear the bigger dust goggles over them with the clear lens, if needed for extra dust protection. I can wear just the regular glasses, glasses plus dust goggles in the dark, or glasses plus dust goggles and smoked lens in the sun.

I figure that will cover all the bases for eye protection from both dust and sun and crappy eyesight, for about $125.

Also, a shemagh for breathing and other protection.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2023
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:11 am

dragonpilot
For face cover, for the last 4 years I've been using what Middle Easterners have been wearing for centuries...a shemagh. Best thing evah! It's a dust mask, a towel, a shawl...easy breathing and talking. Can be worn with goggles.
I agree totally with this and I bring several so that I can rinse them out if needed and have a fresh scarf...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

phil

Post by phil » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:20 am

Please do not state "just use search; this has been asked before!" -- there's no good answer available via search that I could find.
Sheesh! So much for radical self-reliance. I'm sorry you didn't find all those other answers good enough for you.

I'll offer another tip. For those who are going to wear goggles and a hat or cap, you might want to make sure they work together. Many goggles are too high on my forehead to wear with a hat. This is an inconvenience when I get hit in a dust storm out on the playa and have to figure out what to do with my hat when I can't wear it.

ohCarie
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BDC & Orgasm Cove

Post by ohCarie » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:06 pm

Great post! I also like how it narrows the focus. I too wanted to ask for further recommendations for goggles and dust masks since I wasn't satisfied with the search results. But I didn't want to be ridiculed! Thanks for going out on this limb :wink:

Last couple years I used simple $1 bandannas and high quality goggles, one for night and a tinted one for day like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330741755732?ss ... 040wt_1185

I get the feeling we are in for it this year with dust storms and air quality. I have been looking into n95 masks with exhaust valve. But think it may not be enough for all occasions and i want to have a variety of options. I like the neoprene one someone suggested. How do people like those?
If you think you've overdone it, double it.

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:19 pm

I like the neoprene one someone suggested. How do people like those?
I've heard from drywallers that they work great, and are alot more comfortable than the paper filter masks. I'd check, but I think they're also rated at n95..meaning they block 95% of particles that are 0.3 microns or larger. Talc is 0.5 to 50 microns...to give you an idea.

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by dragonpilot » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:21 pm

Unless you're a wheezing asthmatic it's unlikely that a complex, hepa-micro-electric-subatomic particle filter-type with interchangeable cartridges mask is gonna be very practical...they end up just being a PITA to the point that when it's dusty you won't even bother.

Keep it simple. A shemagh, hanky, simple dust mask...something you can just grab and slap on in a second or two. There's my vote for the shemagh, again...takes about 3 seconds to do the wrap around my goggles and I'm breathin' easy! It has the added benefit of covering one's entire head...keeping hair and neck dust minimized.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:02 pm

There's going to be a shemagh wrapping seminar at Center Camp isn't there? Every other hour Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Please?

And maybe the pronunciation of "shemagh" could be clarified at the same time. Or does shemagh rhyme with She-Ra?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:41 pm

heehee!

scott_k

Post by scott_k » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:10 pm

HEY BURNERS

What is the best type of LENS CLEANER for use on the playa?

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:08 pm

scott_k wrote:HEY BURNERS

Baby wipes + toilet paper to dry it off. Drying it off is the most important part.

Oh, and canned air.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Zakolantern

Post by Zakolantern » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:23 pm

scott_k wrote:HEY BURNERS

Anything that is NOT continually reusing the same lens cloth; the microfiber of the cloth will get impregnated with Playa dust, which will act as an abrasive.

Baby wipes are good if the lens doesn't have a AR, mirror, or polarized coating; otherwise, a clean paper towel / napkin and some water as necessary.

daft

Post by daft » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:46 pm

Smith ski goggles with day and night lenses or the desert googles (military uses them u no where) as they fit over glasses and big silk scarf from thaisilks.com

ohCarie
Camp Name: BDC & Orgasm Cove

Post by ohCarie » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:29 am

daft wrote:Smith ski goggles with day and night lenses or the desert googles (military uses them u no where) as they fit over glasses and big silk scarf from thaisilks.com
Silk? is it because it's less porous? Oooh, that could open up a whole new world to me! What about a silk shemagh? :shock:
If you think you've overdone it, double it.

Jordancc
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Jordancc » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:16 am

This will be my 9th year and I'm tellin' ya: this is the BEST dust mask of all time. Comfy, washable, $29, great fit and filtering.
http://www.mu2sportsmask.com/
Pomegranates are the most perfect food.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”