Your favorite small-scale art

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Your favorite small-scale art

Postby Timezone LaFontaine » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:41 pm

The gigantic installations get a lot of attention due to their sheer spectacular scale. But as I think back through the years, lots of small things have been my favorites. I was thinking it might be a good idea for people to talk about some of the small stuff that could reasonably be made by one or a few people. Especially considering some folks come back from their first time completely stunned and want to bring some massive, and probably impossible project, for the next year. Then, realizing the impossibility of their vision, they settle into a lethargic stupor and are eventually kidnapped, cooked and served as barbeque at some shady camp on playa.

One of my favorites I found one night in '06 or '07 -- it was called Dora's Boxen. It was shaped like a chest, but just big enough for one or two people to climb in through the side. Inside was a comfortable cushion to sit on, and some drawers filled with various art supplies and paper and blank stickers. People wrote messages on the inside.

Another favorite I found way out in deep playa late one night, maybe in '08 or '09. It was a couch facing a TV with a mirrored screen. On the TV was a blank book that was a TV Guide. A message on the book said that you were supposed to fill in the description for the show that you imagined was on at whatever time you found yourself there.

What are some of your favorites of small to eensy proportion?
~tzlf
Timezone LaFontaine

Burning Since: 2006

Re: Your favorite small-scale art

Postby 9ah » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:41 pm

tl;dr

My fave ss-art in 2013 was.... I'm not sure. Random photobooth we wandered by and went back to take pix in.
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:54 pm

My art project is brought in 2 grocery bags and a medium tote.
It then becomes the largest participatory art project on the Playa, and the 2nd largest in terms of real estate - 2nd after the roads.

It is...

The Porta-Potties!

It just takes a few people to put it together, but YOU can join in the fun by signing up at Spark!

Another gratuitous plug from:
RobbiDobbs
Chief Poopervisor of the Pottie Project
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Postby kittyrodriguez » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:52 pm

The Black Rock Cock was hilarious to stumble upon out on the playa. It was also very cozy inside and excellent for funny picture taking.
kittyrodriguez

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Postby lucky420 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:03 am

2010 can't remember the exact name but I call it the Toaster Museum. It was also on display at the Reno Decom
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Elorrum » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:11 am

The Tiny Toaster museum. good call, Lucky. It was in Terminal city 2010?
I like the personal camp front yard pieces that people bring. The high five playset was a favorite: a bunch of manequin hands hanging from a tall horizontal bar at varied heights. Usually anything based on a good pun gets me smiling.
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
"I'm not a madame. I'm a concierge."
Elorrum

Postby oscillator » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:51 pm

The Tiny Toaster Museum in 2010 was hilarious and extremely well done.

Proof positive that there are hidden gems in the backroads of BRC.
oscillator

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Mon May 05, 2014 1:47 am

:D
Elorrum wrote:...
I like the personal camp front yard pieces that people bring. The high five playset was a favorite: a bunch of manequin hands hanging from a tall horizontal bar at varied heights. Usually anything based on a good pun gets me smiling.

I believe that was called "Unreasonably high five." They had a small trampoline to reach the highest ones, and a baby doll fist on the side for knuckle bumping. I, too, loved the play on words and still use the installation as an example when trying to explain "that Burning Man thing" and the sense of fun and of play it creates so well.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby JayBobBoy » Mon May 05, 2014 9:56 am

Maybe it wasn't so small, but I really loved the kinetic Trillium sculpture. The website lists the creator as Gary Gunderson. It was the one with the crank that would raise the glowing, blinking balls to the top where they were released to roll around and through the structure back to the bottom again. I just love that mechanical beauty!

It was really magical running into and playing with it. We chilled for an hour or so watching the crowd interact and enjoying the scene!
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
JayBobBoy

Burning Since: 2002

Postby kiboy » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:49 pm

This might have been in 2000-02. Out on the farther reaches of the palaya was a little cube on a platform with a ladder that would maybe hold 6 people comfortably. I think it was supposed to represent a little pod in space off of the main ship. A very few people were wandering out there late in the night and they would climb up and have a little conversation with whoever else might be there. It felt so comfy in there and everyone who entered felt like a friend. Yet it was also very lonely and brought on a kind of nostalgia for the mother ship. Sort of a Lost in Space feeling. Kind of like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK1KVwefIqA

Don't believe everything you think.
kiboy

Burning Since: 2000

Postby unjonharley » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:16 pm

A large wooden box with "think inside" letters cut out..2014
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Postby tamarakay » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:40 pm

Our first year we chased lights in deep playa. We were technically looking for shot in the dark. One light ended up being a white bucket turned upside down with a small red blinking led on its top. Light yourself up was written on the bucket.

Loved it.

This year it was lucky420's Sanchez.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby lucky420 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:46 pm

tamarakay wrote:Our first year we chased lights in deep playa. We were technically looking for shot in the dark. One light ended up being a white bucket turned upside down with a small red blinking led on its top. Light yourself up was written on the bucket.

Loved it.

This year it was lucky420's Sanchez.

Awww thank you. He's in the garage chillin now.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Return to Experiences at Burning Man