Wanted: 32 Yards Hexayurt Tape Shipped to Canada

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: Wanted: 32 Yards Hexayurt Tape Shipped to Canada

Postby Canoe » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:25 pm

ovvle wrote:... I was wondering how you managed to get the Bi-filament tape... D

You want that 220 lbs bi-filament tape for maximum strength and holding.
https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic ... 77&t=65276

You can ship it to Reno and pickup it there. You have to order it before they sell out (which they usually do each year). Which could mean the UPS store is ticked that it's sitting there for so long.
Or buy it now and ship it to a UPS store just across the border in the U.S.. Drive down and pick it up.
UPS store 2472 or 5075 are in Bellingham, WA.
https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic ... 16#p994311

p.s. that foam is useless
it will snap apart in a breeze, let alone the 25 mph, 40 mph and 70 mph winds of the playa (record is 110 mph)
go back to the hexayurt thread and find out about the types of foam that work
Odd. No bears to watch in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby Maizie » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:56 am

Just ordered my tape from findtape.com last night. My total cost for shipping was $33.33 for 7 rolls of tape shipped to Canada. It's not cost effective if you're only ordering one or two rolls, but we've got enough tape now for the initial build + one additional burn (unless we completely eff it up, which is always possible), so $15 shipping per burn isn't bad.
"At least half of planning for a successful Burn includes thinking of how to avoid being a problem for others." - delle
Maizie

Burning Since: 2011

Postby ovvle » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:58 am

Sigh.

Back to square one on almost everything. At least I have a tape source now.
ovvle

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Cloud IX (2014)

Postby ovvle » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:42 am

Allright, after searching the forum for "durofoam" I found the following thread:

https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=277&t=64894&p=949663&hilit=durofoam#p949663

I don't know how I missed it. So, I'm back to the drawing board. I'm going to keep looking, but all of the threads I've read regarding locating R-Max or other Polyisocyanurate based boards in Vancouver/Western Canada have gone cold before anyone mentions if they found a solution. Here are some options off the top of my head:

1. Use durofoam with a wood frame or plywood backing. If the main problem with durofoam is it's lack of rigidity, couldn't I improve the rigidity? Theoretically, I could use a foam-safe adhesive, affix the durofoam to plywood (shiny side out), and tape all the edges with foil tape. Also, to save weight, I could make flat-wise frames for each foam section using 1x4s, pocket screws etc... I know it sounds labour intensive, but I love doing things like this. Furthermore, I'm stubborn. Any thoughts as to whether or not reinforcing durofoam would work or not? I'm not interested in discussing whether or not it's worthwhile... it is to me if it allows me to build a viable structure. :wink:

2. Do a run down to the states for R-Max. So far, no Lowe's between Vancouver and Portland seems to have it in stock. Home Depot doesn't seem to have a Polyisocyanurate product anymore... I haven't finished looking though. This would be the easiest option IF I can find R-max... preferably not further than Seattle. Edit: I may have found some R-max at Home Depot in Bellingham.

3. Give up and buy a really nice tent. Now that I've been obsessing about building a hexayurt, this option would feel like giving up. I'm sure a lot of you can understand why this is my least favourite option.

I hope to follow through enough to the degree that I can provide a workable solution for people in my little corner of the world...

Thanks again everybody.
D
ovvle

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Cloud IX (2014)

Postby Canoe » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:34 am

ovvle wrote:... If the main problem with durofoam is it's lack of rigidity, couldn't I improve the rigidity? ...

and crumbling, and falling apart

you'll have more info in the hexayurt thread instead of a tape thread
Odd. No bears to watch in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping